HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Likelihood of Watching Soccer on TV

Old
06-02-2013, 11:09 AM
rkhum

vCash: 500
Likelihood of Watching Soccer on TV

Cool map I thought might be relevant since there is some crossover between hockey and soccer fan demographics (younger, more IT, european) and the interest within Seattle.

http://smartblogs.com/wp-content/upl...ccer-on-TV.jpg

rkhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Rocko604
Crushin' sandos bro

Not surprised to see the MLS markets represented rather well. Alaska was a surprise.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:20 AM
rkhum

Megalopolis (I-95 between DC and BOS) is very high.
As is Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Denver, Columbus, California, and Miami.

Definitely some overlap with NHL interest.

Old
06-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Ugmo

Hmm... maybe Minneapolis should have an MLS team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Not surprised to see the MLS markets represented rather well. Alaska was a surprise.
How many people are we talking about there? Outside of Anchorage, there's barely anyone living in Alaska. Seems like maybe a handful of people might have skewed the results.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:56 AM
scotchex

What is the source of this data?
And what is being measured?
Watching the world cup? Watching soccer on TV in the last year, month?

Map mostly agrees with conventional wisdom about where soccer fans live and who they are, but there are some oddities.

According to that map, the border towns in Texas that are like 95-99% Mexican-American -- are not above average in soccer TV watching?

There's no way that's true. So I suspect whatever produced this measure, it measured watching MLS games on TV perhaps. Or the US national team.

Those border towns retain very strong cultural ties to Mexico and watch a lot of Mexican soccer on TV -- though perhaps no more than average interest in MLS or the US national team.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:56 AM
chasespace

I'd like to think that the one dark blue dot in North Central Florida is all my doing.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Brodie
voted best

If you overlaid this on a population density map, you'd see that basically all the major urban areas are blue. Not exactly a shock

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Rocko604
Crushin' sandos bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post

How many people are we talking about there? Outside of Anchorage, there's barely anyone living in Alaska. Seems like maybe a handful of people might have skewed the results.
Minnesota Thunder/Minnesota United have been supported pretty well for a Division 2club. If Chivas USA ever move (and hopefully they do), I wouldn't be surprised if the Twin Cities is at least in the discussion.

You're probably right about the Alaska stat, given its population.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 04:24 PM
rkhum

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
What is the source of this data?
And what is being measured?
Watching the world cup? Watching soccer on TV in the last year, month?

Map mostly agrees with conventional wisdom about where soccer fans live and who they are, but there are some oddities.

According to that map, the border towns in Texas that are like 95-99% Mexican-American -- are not above average in soccer TV watching?

There's no way that's true. So I suspect whatever produced this measure, it measured watching MLS games on TV perhaps. Or the US national team.

Those border towns retain very strong cultural ties to Mexico and watch a lot of Mexican soccer on TV -- though perhaps no more than average interest in MLS or the US national team.
I disagree.
First, SE/SC Texas has blue.
Second, that area of Texas is very poor. Very poor, I bet many households do not have TVs and I don't think there are too many Mexicans in plain sight for fear of dismissal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
If you overlaid this on a population density map, you'd see that basically all the major urban areas are blue. Not exactly a shock
That's not true at all.

Look at Minnesota and Denver. Do you see how dark and long the blue is, compared to St. Louis or Kansas City?

Or how about Hawaii or Wyoming compared to Indianapolis?

Old
06-02-2013, 05:42 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Count me as "well below average" living in an area that's apparently "above average," a la Cook County.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Not much to do in Alaska but watch TV, lol.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 06:36 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Second, that area of Texas is very poor. Very poor, I bet many households do not have TVs
A basic TV isn't expensive in this day and age. The economics come into play when you consider that the vast majority of soccer programming is shown on cable, particularly in the high tiers where people on the edge are not going to waste the money. I suspect that Hispanic sports bars in southern Texas do good business during major soccer events.

Quote:
I don't think there are too many Mexicans in plain sight for fear of dismissal.
Ever been to Texas?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 07:21 PM
scotchex

Quote:
I disagree.
First, SE/SC Texas has blue.
Second, that area of Texas is very poor. Very poor, I bet many households do not have TVs and I don't think there are too many Mexicans in plain sight for fear of dismissal.
Wait -- are you joking? I honestly don't understand how you could say such things.

I think you've been watching too many old westerns or something.
They have television in Brownsville.
Brownsville is over 95% Mexican-American.

The border towns are below average in income, but plenty rich enough to afford a TV.

Serious, this is crazy ignorant if you meant this serious. They have Walmarts and Best Buys. What do think those stores are selling to people?

Brownsville, TX has a median household income of $32k. Well below the Texas median income of $48k. But plenty enough to buy a television for crying out loud.

You know they have running water, too, right? And electricity? And mobile phones. They do live in this century.

The border towns have been 90%+ Mexican for a long, long time. People have family and cousins on the other side of the border. There is a tremendous cultural cross-over.

It's just funny that you think people living in Texas border towns are so poor they can't afford televisions. These are just regular American towns, just poorer than average and where 90% of everybody is ethnically Mexican.

Your conception of what these places are like is so far off from reality that it's kind of funny. You talk like they are lost hunter gatherer tribes in the Amazon. You know, I hear they even have those fancy new horseless carriages, too. And even aeroplanes!

Old
06-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Brodie
voted best

too poor to own a TV

Old
06-02-2013, 08:20 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Remember this poll is likelihood of watching soccer on TV. They could've done a survey and just asked people in the area "Are you likely to watch soccer on TV?" not "Do you watch soccer on TV?"

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 08:41 PM
WendelSalming

So in the very top north east corner of Alaska they are 'above likely' to watch soccer on tv.

um, Just checked google maps and there are no towns in that area. It is uninhabited.

WendelSalming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendelSalming View Post
So in the very top north east corner of Alaska they are 'above likely' to watch soccer on tv.

um, Just checked google maps and there are no towns in that area. It is uninhabited.
Nope:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaktovik,_Alaska

Probably a handful of people in Kaktovik watch soccer (if they even have a way to do so!), thus ensuring a large blue patch in that part of Alaska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanmaster View Post
I'd rather watch communism take over the world
That's very enlightened of you. Thanks for sharing that valuable opinion.

Last edited by Ugmo: 06-02-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Dyslexic brain cramp
Old
06-03-2013, 10:54 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
too poor to own a TV
Someone who is too poor to own a TV is funny?

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I think the implication was that almost nobody in America is too poor to own a TV.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:47 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
The two biggest issues with that happening is a lack of a soccer-specific stadium and the crowded marketplace when it comes to sports teams.

The current NASL team (MN United FC) plays in a small stadium 15 miles north of Minneapolis. They draw a decent crowd for the NASL. It is nothing special and have moved around a couple times - including playing a few games in the Metrodome this year. However, that hasn't stopped the team from wanting improved facilities.

The first problem kind of gets taken of with the new Vikings stadium (Zygi Wilf, who owns the NFL team, has a 5 year right of first refusal window for owning a potential MLS team) although it is going to be a 65K fixed roof stadium with glass panels opening.

The second issue is that the Twin Cities is oversaturated for being the 15th largest market. Between 4 major league pro sports teams and a Big Ten university for college football, basketball and hockey - all of which have their own stadiums, mind you - there are plenty of sports options. Only Denver is a smaller market with NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS teams. Money only goes so far.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Brodie
voted best

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I'd be deeply surprised if there were many Americans who own or rent property who do not also own either a TV or computer.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
rkhum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
A basic TV isn't expensive in this day and age. The economics come into play when you consider that the vast majority of soccer programming is shown on cable, particularly in the high tiers where people on the edge are not going to waste the money. I suspect that Hispanic sports bars in southern Texas do good business during major soccer events.

Ever been to Texas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
Wait -- are you joking? I honestly don't understand how you could say such things.

I think you've been watching too many old westerns or something.
They have television in Brownsville.
Brownsville is over 95% Mexican-American.

The border towns are below average in income, but plenty rich enough to afford a TV.

Serious, this is crazy ignorant if you meant this serious. They have Walmarts and Best Buys. What do think those stores are selling to people?

Brownsville, TX has a median household income of $32k. Well below the Texas median income of $48k. But plenty enough to buy a television for crying out loud.

You know they have running water, too, right? And electricity? And mobile phones. They do live in this century.

The border towns have been 90%+ Mexican for a long, long time. People have family and cousins on the other side of the border. There is a tremendous cultural cross-over.

It's just funny that you think people living in Texas border towns are so poor they can't afford televisions. These are just regular American towns, just poorer than average and where 90% of everybody is ethnically Mexican.

Your conception of what these places are like is so far off from reality that it's kind of funny. You talk like they are lost hunter gatherer tribes in the Amazon. You know, I hear they even have those fancy new horseless carriages, too. And even aeroplanes!
First, the border towns are well represented.
Second, they may be under represented because maybe they do not get cable, but use rabbit ears to get Mexican stations.
Third, just a guess, but I would think Mexicans may well keep a lower profile on the border due to fears of harassment. From what I've read, being hispanic in that area isn't exactly safe with the "Protect America" mantra.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:12 PM
scotchex

Quote:
First, the border towns are well represented.
Second, they may be under represented because maybe they do not get cable, but use rabbit ears to get Mexican stations.
Third, just a guess, but I would think Mexicans may well keep a lower profile on the border due to fears of harassment. From what I've read, being hispanic in that area isn't exactly safe with the "Protect America" mantra.
Ok, now I think you must just be trolling. Those border towns are 95% hispanic. Which has been pointed out multiple times in this thread. Basically everyone on both sides of the border is hispanic. People have family on both sides of the border and often go back and forth to visit cousins. Hispanics are perfectly safe in Brownsville, TX which is 95% hispanic.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. You aren't bothering to look up basic facts about the region or about America. And you seem to have oddly bigoted ideas about what America is like, especially the border areas.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:58 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Yeah I'd say hispanics actually dominate public life in many of those areas. Many elected representatives in those areas are hispanics too. Laredo's mayor is a guy called Raul Salinas and he beat Jose Valdez and Gene Belmares in the election. San Antonio's mayor is Julian Castro. Six members of Congress from Texas are in the Hispanic caucus.

Anyway, that map doesn't tell me too much as it seems literally every urban area is "above average" and that connection seems fairly logical and obvious (MLS franchises, ethnic population, hipsters, suburban soccer kids).

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 02:58 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Six members of Congress from Texas are in the Hispanic caucus.
A bit off-topic, but is that all? Wiki says Texas is 38 percent Hispanic and has 36 Representatives. Seems like Latinos are seriously underrepresented.

Last edited by Ugmo: 06-04-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Edit.. erm, Representatives of course, and not Senators