HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The 25 Worst Trades in Modern Montreal Canadiens History

Old
06-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
On trade #5 (the Vachon deal), the "future considerations" was the right for Montreal to flip 1st-rounders in 1975.

They did not do so, keeping #15, and drafted Pierre Mondou. Los Angeles at #16 picked Tim Young, who scored 95 points in 1976-77.
The Vachon trade isn't as bad as it looks in isolation, I mean it's not like the Habs didn't have a stud goalie in Dryden, where was Vachon going to play?

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I don't get how the Turgeon trade merely comes in at number 9. That was such a franchise crippling move. Trading away an elite center scoring center and a selke-caliber center for a 3rd line grinder was just such a joke of a trade.

The Blues became instant contenders and we became an instant joke.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
You might be remembering the particulars incorrectly, since Nolan was traded in October of 1995, and the Red Wings thrashing of Roy happened December 2, 1995. I'd be surprised if there was very much negotiating at all, since the trade occurred 4 days later.
I'm sure there tons of negotiations.

Just like how the Cammelleri trade negotiations just happened to culminate 24 hours after his comments and during the intermission of a game he was playing in, for a player who was currently suspended.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 10:42 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
The Vachon trade isn't as bad as it looks in isolation, I mean it's not like the Habs didn't have a stud goalie in Dryden, where was Vachon going to play?
Even with Dryden should have got more for Vachon.

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

The McDonagh-for-Gomez trade should rank higher IMO.

Not only is McDonagh a world class defenseman who will be in the running for future Norris Trophies, but the fact that Montreal took back Gomez is a disgrace in itself.

Looking at it today, McDonagh and Subban could potentially form the BEST defense tandem in the NHL, even ahead of Keith-Seabrook. And swap McDonagh from the Rangers to the Canadiens today and there's a good chance we're watching a Kings-Habs repeat of the 1992-93 Cup Finals.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 06:38 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
#11: Pavel Valentenko, Ryan McDonagh, Doug Janik and Christopher Higgins to the New York Rangers for Scott Gomez, Tom Pyatt and Michael Busto (August 1992)
How was Gomez in the league at 12 years old? Think you might have a typo. The trade took place on June 30, 2009.

I'm probably like a few other people on here and expected Le Trade to be at the top of the list, but the Chelios/Savard trade did bring up some good points.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote