HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Name Alain Vigneault Head Coach

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 07:07 AM
mike14

vCash: 500
Oh good, we've resorted to stalking now....

Old
06-14-2013, 07:09 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Someone is going to have a restraining order against them soon!

Old
06-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
There was a 6:30am flight from the Ottawa airport to LGA. Departed at 6:37am. Jazz Aviation/Air Canada.

http://ottawa-airport.ca/flight-information/departures
I am dissapointed in HF if we don't have someone with a smartphone waiting by the gate at LGA.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:34 AM
RangerBoy
#JTwokeup

The information coming from Dreger and info out of Dallas is conflicting. Dreger says Dallas wants to hire a coach soon. Brooks says the same thing. Nill says he is not in a rush and he was no time table. Mike Heika tweeted the Stars have more interviews next week. I read Torts is interviewing with Dallas next week. Dreger reported the Rangers had received permission to speak with Vigneault and Eakins. When Eakins got the EDM job,Dreger had it. Dreger and Brooks had details of the Vigneault interview. Alain and Eakins probably have the same lawyer. Dreger and Brooks are reporting the Rangers will lose Vigneault to Dallas if Sather drags this out. The lawyer is talking to Dreger and Brooks.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:36 AM
mike14

Quote:
The information coming from Dreger and info out of Dallas is conflicting. Dreger says Dallas wants to hire a coach soon. Brooks says the same thing. Nill says he is not in a rush and he was no time table. Mike Heika tweeted the Stars have more interviews next week. I read Torts is interviewing with Dallas next week. Dreger reported the Rangers had received permission to speak with Vigneault and Eakins. When Eakins got the EDM job,Dreger had it. Dreger and Brooks had details of the Vigneault interview. Alain and Eakins probably have the same lawyer. Dreger and Brooks are reporting the Rangers will lose Vigneault to Dallas if Sather drags this out. The lawyer is talking to Dreger and Brooks.
So really, you're saying speculation is useless, just wait until teams sign guys. Good plan

Old
06-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Blueblood9

as a redskins fan this reminds me of when snyder sent Redskins1 out to free agents and the plane was tracked using the the tail number. its definately stalkerish but fun to speculate.

I still think AV will be the coach by mid next week

Old
06-14-2013, 07:56 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

for AV

Here's an idea. Hire AV, Messier should find an assistant coaching job or a head coaching position somewhere in the junior or AHL ranks. See how well he does and if he can hack it at that level, and if AV fails, THEN entertain the idea of Messier as coach.

By then, the Rangers will probably be close to a rebuilding mode anyway. Perfect timing.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I'll take Messier even without his formal coaching experience... The guy understands the game and how to speak to the players & motivate them
He was also able to lift his play and produce on the ice. Can't do that from behind the bench.

06-14-2013, 08:29 AM
RangerBoy
#JTwokeup

Messier isn't playing. Messier will need a former NHL coach to assist him. I think Brooks wrote a technocrat. Someone who will be the brains in the Xs and Os. Even someone who will be the bad cop. Messier doesn't seem the bad cop type of coach.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Messier isn't playing. Messier will need a former NHL coach to assist him. I think Brooks wrote a technocrat. Someone who will be the brains in the Xs and Os. Even someone who will be the bad cop. Messier doesn't seem the bad cop type of coach.
Messier was a bad cop type of player, and it's part of what made him great. There were a number of rumors about him threatening his own teammates if they didn't play hard. If Messier is not bringing that type of mentality to a head coaching position...he's bringing nothing.

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 06-14-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old
06-14-2013, 09:09 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Interest in Kings assistant coach John Stevens appears to be heating up around the league with the New York Rangers now entering the picture.

Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi said, via email Thursday night, that Stevens is expected to interview with the Rangers for their vacant head coaching position. The Rangers fired John Tortorella four days after they were eliminated in the playoffs.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,6134724.story

Old
06-14-2013, 09:10 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Let Messier be the special assistant to the Coach. He can give the pregame speeches.

I mean, let's be honest. What else would he be good for besides motivation?

Old
06-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
I am seriously interested in Stevens.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Let Messier be the special assistant to the Coach. He can give the pregame speeches.

I mean, let's be honest. What else would he be good for besides motivation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Messier was a bad cop type of player, and it's part of what made him great. There were a number of rumors about him threatening his own teammates if they didn't play hard. If Messier is not bringing that type of mentality to a head coaching position...he's bringing nothing.
Considering that that kind of motivation is proven to wear thin quite fast and that it is an unsustainable method of management, I don't think he would bring anything at all TBH.

A coach that makes the players want to perform rather than coercing them to perform is what should be pursued. Eakins seems to be that kind of coach, but he's gone, Boucher seems to be that way too. Stevens as well. Ruff and Messier can GTFO.

The NYR locker room seems to be a "good bunch" that would embrace a democratic type of leader. Some rooms would destroy a coach like that, but I think our guys would grow under that kind of leadership.

A team with ego-less leaders would welcome a democratic coach, while a team devoid of leaders, or with ego-driven leaders (like Messier was prime example of) wouldn't respond well at all.

Stepan is probably the personification of the ego-less leader type. McD, Staal, Girardi, and Boyle are likely in that category as well. Not sure about Callahan anymore, I used to think he was devoid of ego but since he was named captain something seems to have changed. Nash seems to have little ego for a star, but doesn't seem to be a leader either. I think Brassard used to have one, but his struggles seem to have humbled him, let's see what some success does to him. Del Zotto seems to have an ego. Prust has an ego, but he's gone now. Dubinsky was the same. Avery had a gigantic one, glad he's gone.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Oooh thats a good thing to hear.

Would much rather them go after Stevens then Ruff. Nice to hear that other candidates are being looked at.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Can someone give me the low down on Stevens?

Old
06-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Mr Atoz*

I don't really know that much about Vigneault. But I don't know how excited I'd get about a guy that couldn't win with the best team for several years and under whose tenure the supposed prize goalie in the league became a laughingstock.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I don't really know that much about Vigneault. But I don't know how excited I'd get about a guy that couldn't win with the best team for several years and under whose tenure the supposed prize goalie in the league became a laughingstock.
You can't blame Vigneault for Luongo's lack of mental toughness and poor play. That can only be blamed on Luongo (and possibly Rollie Melanson as well).

Old
06-14-2013, 09:51 AM
KingWantsCup
#FightLikeHell

vCash: 350
If Messier truly wanted to be the coach all this time he would have been coaching in the AHL or NHL already building up experience and a résumé. He just wants it because it's available. I understand he wanted to remain in the NYR organization because he loves this team and city so much, which is a great showing of dedication, but his severe lacking of behind the bench experience is a gamble not worth taking. If I were Sather I would tell Messier that no today does not mean no forever. He just needs to prove what he can do before we hire him.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:04 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowes Line View Post
You can't blame Vigneault for Luongo's lack of mental toughness and poor play. That can only be blamed on Luongo (and possibly Rollie Melanson as well).
How about losing 4-0 in a SCF game 7? How about getting swept as a 3 seed this year scoring 3 goals once. I can only imagine how well that would go over here.

The fact is AV's teams have grossly underachieved in the POs relative to their regular seasons. How much of that is on the coach? I'm not sure. But it doesn't exactly instill confidence either.

06-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
How about losing 4-0 in a SCF game 7? How about getting swept as a 3 seed this year scoring 3 goals once. I can only imagine how well that would go over here.

The fact is AV's teams have grossly underachieved in the POs relative to tier regular seasons. How much of that is on the coach? I'm not sure. But it doesn't exactly instill confidence either.
Notice I didn't argue that point. I was talking solely about Luongo. Sheesh

Old
06-14-2013, 10:07 AM
The Wrath

What's the report on Stevens in his style of play?

Old
06-14-2013, 10:10 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowes Line View Post
Notice I didn't argue that point. I was talking solely about Luongo. Sheesh
Fair enough. Just read a lot of "it's not his fault it's LOLuongo's" in defense of AV which IMO is a component but overstated.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:24 AM
SupersonicMonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post

The fact is AV's teams have grossly underachieved in the POs relative to their regular seasons. How much of that is on the coach? I'm not sure. But it doesn't exactly instill confidence either.
These are all true statements.

But if you had Messier and Vigneault standing there, ready to be hired, who do you pick?

No way i hire Messier, who has no coaching experience at a high level, when I'm attempting to win a Stanley Cup.

John Stevens could be a better selection then Vigneault.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I am not the biggest Vigneault fan, but I have never understood talk about Vancouver being the best team in the league.

They have Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin. Two top 5 players in the game. Hank won the scoring title when Daniel was hurt most of the year. Daniel won it the year after. They are both amazing players. They stepped onto one of the worst Swedish nat. team in history this year and went up against Giroux, Stamkos and co in the WCHs and made it look like they played against kids.

The game today is all about winning momentum and taking the game to the other team. With the Sedins, you get domination 3 of 4 shifts for 22 minutes a game. You get a top PP just by calling their names.

After the Sedins, what do they have? I think the talk about Vancouver at times having the best blueline in the league has been 100% nonsense. 100% nonsense. What D did they have that was so good? Bieksa? Hamuis? Edler (he is good now, but he was definitely not great 3-5 years ago when he was 20-21 y/o)? Sami Salo? Öhlund? I mean, I like Bieksa but I can't for the life of me understand claims of him ever being even a top 10 D in this league. He is miles and more miles behind a Chara in terms of value for example. The rest has at best been solid been typical solid top 4 Ds in the NHL.

Ok, so we can with certainty say that Vancouver never had a great blueline. Have they had other great forwards besides the Sedins? Kesler? Burrows? I mean, Mason Raymond he is a superstar right? Kesler is what he is, clutch and what not for sure, but hardly a great player. Burrows is admittedly a great fit with the Sedins, but hardly a start. Would be very avg on any other line in this league.

I think they are nothing but a very avg team after the Sedins.

Closed Thread