HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade Jake Gardiner for Sean Monahan/Elias Lindholm?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Jake Gardiner for the #7 pick in the draft?
Yes 64 24.33%
No 199 75.67%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2013, 11:26 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 500
You know maybe like some of us were discussing yesterday, Franson puts them closer to "win now" than Gardiner does. Combine him with the #21 and you might get #7.

EDM fans will hate it because Franson isn't "sexy", but he is a good skater, passer, has a better shot than Gards, and is better defensively. He is only 25 and an RFA. HE only made 1.2M this year, which means a long term 3-4M deal might be pretty appealing to him. For a guy who might be your #2 or #3 D-man like he would be in EDM that is a pretty good cap hit.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Diatomic
Naz is a bad bad boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
It was also losing 70% of the draws because we don't have a legit two-way centre.
I dont think any center at 7th overall is NHL ready, and with the 'I don't have the time to develop players' from Carlyle, we won't be getting one until he spends major time in the AHL.

By that time our young Core will be matured, and then we have a 20year old rookie centre to take care of and shelter.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Diatomic
Naz is a bad bad boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
You know maybe like some of us were discussing yesterday, Franson puts them closer to "win now" than Gardiner does. Combine him with the #21 and you might get #7.

EDM fans will hate it because Franson isn't "sexy", but he is a good skater, passer, has a better shot than Gards, and is better defensively. He is only 25 and an RFA. HE only made 1.2M this year, which means a long term 3-4M deal might be pretty appealing to him. For a guy who might be your #2 or #3 D-man like he would be in EDM that is a pretty good cap hit.
I'm all over this. Ship out Franson and the 21st!!

Old
06-10-2013, 11:30 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
O'Reilly was Colorado's most valuable forward.

Better than Matt Duchene, Gabriel Landeskog
and Paul Stastny.

Oh... O'Reilly's also younger than Jake Gardiner.

Did you just...Seriously?

You really believe this? O'Reilly believe it?

I'll give you Stastny but c'mon. Dear lord.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:33 PM
King William
MARNER & NYLANDER

Quote:

Did you just...Seriously?

You really believe this? O'Reilly believe it?

I'll give you Stastny but c'mon. Dear lord.
In 2011/12, O'Reilly was their best forward.

As per fans of the Colorado Avalanche.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:35 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
YOU do understand that this deal will set us back by atleast 1-2 years.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Diatomic
Naz is a bad bad boy

Quote:
YOU do understand that this deal will set us back by atleast 1-2 years.
Meh, replace Franson with Ranger and were set till Rielly is up

Old
06-10-2013, 11:39 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
In 2011/12, O'Reilly was their best forward.

As per fans of the Colorado Avalanche.
LOL You talk to the wrong Colorado fans.

Duchene battled injuries and Landeskog was a beast as a rookie.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:40 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
Uh...ya you did. By the way, deflection is all you've done with me. I posted a thought as to why we shouldn't trade now talent for later talent, and you started with the Franson-jones, and followed it up with that. Seriously, I do halluciate. For a while I thought you weren't 12. Sobering isn't it
Again, I am talking about you posting this little blurb, I am trying to talk about this hockey snippet of yours, are you going to keep avoiding what you meant here? You can continue on deflecting, trying to change the topic, but I am going to keep coming back to this until you answer what you meant here.

Quote:
Sure, why not. Lets trade Kadri for Nurse too. Can never trade enough guys who are NHL'ers for guys who might be.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:43 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Meh, replace Franson with Ranger and were set till Rielly is up
2 things wrong with that.

1. Ranger only wants to play in Toronto.

2. Ranger hasn't even decided if he wants to play in the NHL again.

Kinda hard to trade a guy who would rather quite and play rec league than go somewhere else.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:01 AM
gmjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Bo Horvat 6 1/2 ft 206 lbs

Gabriel Landeskog 6'1 204 lbs.

Just saying.
Have you seen Horvat. Saw him at OHL combine, fat chunky kid. Not a low body fat guy and has lots of work to do to be NHL body ready. Worried about conditioning

Old
06-11-2013, 12:08 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjohnny View Post
Have you seen Horvat. Saw him at OHL combine, fat chunky kid. Not a low body fat guy and has lots of work to do to be NHL body ready. Worried about conditioning
Must have mistaken Bo for these guys.

Fat, chunky? Don't see Horvat as this. Combine scores would confirm this.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:08 AM
gmjohnny

it would take the #7 pick, a prospect and a current roster player (Gagner, Panjarrvi, Jones, Smid) to make this deal happen. Straight up it is not even a decision. If the poll offered up a player, prospect and a pick (7) then the poll would shift and be more balanced

Old
06-11-2013, 12:32 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjohnny View Post
it would take the #7 pick, a prospect and a current roster player (Gagner, Panjarrvi, Jones, Smid) to make this deal happen. Straight up it is not even a decision. If the poll offered up a player, prospect and a pick (7) then the poll would shift and be more balanced
IF we're giving up Gards then ya I am asking for Gagner. Doubt that happens.

I think Franson is the way to go.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:24 AM
MakeTheIronSing

No, he's proving his worth daily when given the chance.

Old
06-11-2013, 03:16 AM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Why trade Gardiner for the 7th overall when you can offer up something else that would include us taking the likes of Horcoff off their hands. If we were to do that, we can keep our blue-chippers.

We would have to include the likes of a Joe Colborne / Frattin but I'd prefere one of these two than Jake.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:21 AM
ShortSideFlick

I'd be interested in trading Gardiner for the 7th if we had some sort of pre-arranged 7+ for 4th (barkov, trade goes down at 4th pick though so if he's off the board we don't do it.). Frankly I think Barkov will be the best player in the draft... And yes you are all welcome to laugh at me, but I think he'll be better than Mackinnon.

I'd consider it for Monahan. I'm still on the fence though, mostly because Rielly isn't ready yet where as Gardiner is, and I don't see Monahan helping us much next season if we picked him up. I see the leafs looking to improve now and in the future, not waiting a couple more years.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:28 AM
ShortSideFlick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Dalton View Post
Why trade Gardiner for the 7th overall when you can offer up something else that would include us taking the likes of Horcoff off their hands. If we were to do that, we can keep our blue-chippers.

We would have to include the likes of a Joe Colborne / Frattin but I'd prefere one of these two than Jake.
I expect people will think I'm stupid for this as well, but I'd trade frattin before colborne.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:33 AM
ShortSideFlick

edit: misread what I was replying to lol.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:33 AM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
I'm not convinced Couturier is going to be the impact #1 center we'd be looking for, based on my viewings of him on TV and in-person at IceCaps/Phantoms games.

People seem really high on him but I personally don't see it.
He look like a top six forward, but of the second liner variety. I don't think he's a near-PPG, while shutting down top lines, forward like Patrice Bergeron. A forward in that mould would likely be Matt Duchene, but I doubt we'll ever be able to acquire him.

I think if we should back off from forward acquisitions and use the talent that we already have. Next season, with improved play from Grabovski and Kulemin in a more offensive role, a more refined Gardiner, Colborne, possibly Rielly, we'll be able to trade in a possession of strength.

Give forwards like Joe Colborne, D'Amigo and the current crop a try in the upcoming season. There really is no harm. If we can be patient, we may be able to acquire Tomas Hertl ( San Jose) or Nick Bjugstad ( Panthers). I think the former is going to be very difficult to acquire with our assets especially when a number have much lower trade value. Bjugstad should be easier to acquire, but we'll have to move a offensive defenceman/ winger for him. Others that we could acquire include Max Gardiner/ Evgeny Grachev ( Blues) or Brock Nelson/ Anders Lee ( Islanders).

Kessel needs a big two-way physical centre who can do a better job who is willing to play in traffic. In addition, the big C needs to have a finish as well. Sundin-esque centres are great finishers and he performed better with a playmaking winger. Kessel is our playmaking centre, we someone who can finish. There were numerous times when Bozak received excellent passes, but couldn't finish them. We need to resolve that, and possibly look for a #1C who can shut down top lines.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:54 AM
pucci2001

No. To both. But For Barkov or Nikushkin(sp?) yes. It might hurt us for a year or two but then it would be worth it. I would rather trade Dion to be completely honest though...

Old
06-11-2013, 05:03 AM
416Leafer

One thing to keep in mind, is that IF Gardiner were traded to get Lindholm, then we could still use our own 1st round pick to draft a defenceman and replace some of that value lost on the blueline longterm.

There are far more top pairing defencemen available near the end of the 1st round or later, than there are top centres.

I dont think we necessarily need to move Gardiner though or go THAT high in the draft. I think Horvat/Lazar would also be great choices, and that both have the potential to be top 6 forwards offensively with elite defensive skills, which would give us a 1-2 similar to that of Boston. Trading up to get one of those guys could be a good option, though im not quite sure what we'd have to give up. Not Gardiner though.

We definitely need a big upgrade at centre, and we should be proactive in trying to address that. Personally, I think in both free agency and via trade, its highly unlikely we'll get the calibre of centre we'll need to truly be competitive. We could get guys like Weiss/Ribeiro/etc. but thats not going to make us a SC winning team.

At the end of the day, we're going to have to draft that help. So people complaining about Lindholm/Monahan being a few years away from making an impact, should also be aware that theyre still closer to making an impact than anyone we draft later in this current draft, or draft in any subsequent drafts. Not to mention their ceilings are considerably higher. So while they are a few years away, the alternative could be quite a bit longer.

And the trade would barely impact this teams NHL abilities, because realistically, Gardiner had little to no impact until the playoffs, so we were already a playoff team without him, with Rielly as a similar (but higher ceiling) prospect coming up relatively soon.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:35 AM
eyeball11

Before we ever knew where the Oilers were picking and saw Gardiner's playoff play, I had said I'd consider moving Gardiner if Monahan was on the table. I stand by that. Would absolutely love to keep Gardiner as I think he and Reilly will be our answer to getting out of the zone against a team like Boston. That said, we have a lot of D and my ideal draft would be seeing us land Monahan and having Domi drop to where the rankings have him (or at least the last ones I saw). That would give us two centres with pretty decent offensive ceilings but both very defensively aware and both hometown boys. We'd head into the future with Kadri, Monahan, Colborne and Domi down the middle. We already have tons of wingers.

The only other piece (barring a multi player deal) I'd move Gardiner for is Couturier, who has the same kind of playing ability as Monahan.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:47 AM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Schenn for JVR made sense from the perspective that Schenn had nothing on JVR: he didn't have the skating, he didn't have the skills, he didn't even have a size advantage on JVR. He was just a former high pick with a weak package of skills that wasn't much of a gamble.

Gardiner has a ton of tools and is further along in development to boot than Monahan or Horvat. You have to realize that when you want to trade Gards for one of these picks, there's a huge draft day markup and hype you're buying into. Strictly from a prospect point of view, you probably think Horvat is a better investment than a Radek Faksa or something like that. Why? Because Faksa doesn't have his draft day sizzle anymore.
I don't think we're going to be trading Gardiner either. He has a potential to be a very good puck mover. One that could be relied on as a QB and is better in that regard than Franson.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:05 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
you ll never see reilly and gardiner in the same lineup as long as carlyle is coach of the leafs .i gues the next few weeks will deermine if gardinier is gonna stay a leaf ,id take a top 4 pick for him and bring reilly in to stay ......JUST MY OPINON .....the leafs gotta get better ,period

Closed Thread