HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Music, Books) Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2013, 06:31 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

vCash: 500
With Breaking Bad finally returning, it's always nice to look back at Walter White flashbacks from the past.

Old
08-04-2013, 03:00 AM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

I was never much a fan of Naruto but watching it on Toonami... Man are the English voice actors terrible. Yikes...

Old
08-04-2013, 07:26 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

Is it possible Dexter was always this bad? My friend and I were having this discussion, and we both agreed that seasons 1 and 4 were the best, and that we had complaints about season 2&3 + 5-8. Is it possible that season 4 was so well written, performed and produced that it set an impossible bar for the rest of the series? Our points were that nothing else on Showtime has ever been that good, or that well produced and often times the same complaints about Dexter (lazy writing, shallow narrative, lack of character development) are true with their other staple shows.

There was a major change to show post season 4 that Showtime initiated that I was against immediately, and in case anyone cares it was because Dexter jumped in 'ratings' to Showtime's most viewed, overtaking Weeds. Showtime was mighty pleased with that, and after season 4 decided that they wanted to increase viewer subscriptions to the network, with Dexter as their main sale. Michael C Hall just won a Golden Globe, the Trinity Killer just won a Golden Globe, and the show was nominated for a slew of Emmys, so it was riding high. They removed their showrunner Clyde Phillips, who had pieced together season 4 almost personally, and served as a writer on the first four seasons. Showtime hired the executive producer of the show '24', the glossed over action show that had millions of viewers for Fox for a decade. This move was to make the show more accessible to the masses, as Chip Johannessen was known for common-denominator fare and that's exactly what the show became in season 5. I don't feel like I'm the only one that noticed the considerable decline in production value, execution and care for the character we'd grown to love. Dexter was exploited to be Jack Bauer for Showtime to convert people to digital cable and Showtime, and the fan base they'd developed and grown with Dexter was completely ostracized at the expense of ratings. A couple years later here I am like an idiot complaining about it like it wasn't by design, and like I'm not still tuning in. At least I'm illegally streaming it, I feel bad for anyone that actually pays for Showtime to treat them like an idiot.

Old
08-05-2013, 06:49 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
I only pay for Showtime while Dexter is on...I do have to say that I'm not so impressed with this season as I was hoping to be. I still haven't watched this past Sunday's episode, but I'll give more feedback after I watch it.

Old
08-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

vCash: 425
my wife put it perfectly;

"she wasn't the most attractive girl beforehand..."

the goggles... they do nothing.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
08-06-2013, 01:35 PM
njdevil26

I liked the fact that she's NORMAL looking. It really ruins shows and movies when they hire the best looking available actors regardless of acting talent. She looks messed up now and that's because she is because of what happened to her in Africa. Did you see the reason why she cut her hair?

Old
08-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

the girl representing OWS is normal looking imo and yes, I saw the episode. I get it, but it's being overplayed. She could act the story just fine, I think they're going too heavy on the costume part to convey the message. And what was with that pseudo-interview/deposition. You're not under oath, but it's being videotaped and we're going to crack a joke in between every serious question? Truly bizarre. That said, I must agree - Evan is a name I've never liked either.

Old
08-06-2013, 01:44 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
What is the show/movie and who is the actress?

Old
08-06-2013, 01:50 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
the girl representing OWS is normal looking imo and yes, I saw the episode. I get it, but it's being overplayed. She could act the story just fine, I think they're going too heavy on the costume part to convey the message. And what was with that pseudo-interview/deposition. You're not under oath, but it's being videotaped and we're going to crack a joke in between every serious question? Truly bizarre. That said, I must agree - Evan is a name I've never liked either.
Well the woman said she's a wrongful termination attorney... did she get fired and then file for wrongful termination?

CJ, it's the Newsroom on HBO and the actress is Allison Pill.

Old
08-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
I was never much a fan of Naruto but watching it on Toonami... Man are the English voice actors terrible. Yikes...
They are not good I agree, it has a really bad dub. It doesn't help it isn't the best written show ever either.

Old
08-06-2013, 01:58 PM
EliasFTW

Thought it was Molly ringwald

Old
08-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Well the woman said she's a wrongful termination attorney... did she get fired and then file for wrongful termination?

CJ, it's the Newsroom on HBO and the actress is Allison Pill.
I didn't understand the point of the interview to be honest. Maggie was a bit confused about it too it seemed. They lawyer was hired by the network and Maggie had not been fired so why it happening must have been their own internal investigation of some sort but Maggie knew the lawyer's intro as to her "HR" reasons didn't hold water when she brought up her profile.

Maybe it was just an interview to see if she was mentally stable enough to continue her job...?

Old
08-06-2013, 02:24 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
I didn't understand the point of the interview to be honest. Maggie was a bit confused about it too it seemed. They lawyer was hired by the network and Maggie had not been fired so why it happening must have been their own internal investigation of some sort but Maggie knew the lawyer's intro as to her "HR" reasons didn't hold water when she brought up her profile.

Maybe it was just an interview to see if she was mentally stable enough to continue her job...?
Yeah that whole interview makes me feel like I missed an episode somewhere... so I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Old
08-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Ripshot 43

I've had nightmares of that short haircut ever since the first episode of this season.

Old
08-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

this is spectacular

Old
08-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:

Seems like it was just an excuse to tell her plot and explain her new hair cut.

Honestly I am not a big fan of the show. Been giving it a chance, but just not liking it.

Old
08-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Seems like it was just an excuse to tell her plot and explain her new hair cut.

Honestly I am not a big fan of the show. Been giving it a chance, but just not liking it.
same here. Keep hoping some West Wing magic will materialize but I think that has fizzled at this point.

Old
08-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
same here. Keep hoping some West Wing magic will materialize but I think that has fizzled at this point.
I am not quite sure what it is exactly either. I mean part is the characters just seem like hollow shells that merely exist for Sorkin to soap box.

IDK West Wing just seemed to have a lot more heart.

Old
08-08-2013, 10:32 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
Episode 11 of this season is one of my favorite episodes in the entire series. The end of this season gets pretty good.
Just finished that episode last night. It was definitely one of the funniest if not the funniest so far. It was great.

Old
08-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Nick0930

Sharknado is on tonight. **** yeah I'm DVRing that ****.

Old
08-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Ripshot 43

After watching everything on my DVR and recording home improvement shows anf watching them... all before watching this past weeks episode of Newsroom. I still haven't watched it and that's a bad bad sign for a show for me. Where has Jeff Daniels been this season so far? Seems like they are focusing more on the supporting cast. The show has officially lost me.

Delete.

Up next..... WW

Nuff said.

Old
08-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

All hail the King.

Hurry up 9pm.

Old
08-11-2013, 11:22 PM
JK3
ARMY OF PANDOLFOS

Great start to Breaking Bad, the last 5 mins was pretty intense.

Old
08-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

"Hi Carroll."

Old
08-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Tread lightly.