HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Music, Books) Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Ripshot 43

vCash: 50
I have no loyalty to any of these companies. I never get into the rediculous fanboy fights over who's system is best. Over the last generations of games I've ended up owning all 3 systems at some point and time (X box from day 1, PS3 about 5 months later). With this last generation sticking with the Xbox was mainly because everyone I knew was doing the same and that was the same core group of gamers I would play online with so there was no reason to switch.

That being said... I won't even consider buying another Xbox system because of what they are doing with used game market. Say what you want about "if you created something, wouldn't you want to get the most money out of it?" But that was a horrific company decision by them and they will surely pay for it when they push so many of their old customers to a competitor. $60 is well enough on its own for a game and the fact that I could put $15-$20 worth of trade in credit towards another game by possibly the same developer was why I could live with buying a game for full price here and there. Goodbye Xbox on my top shelf.... Hello Playstation... Welcome to the top.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Emperoreddy
End is Near

vCash: 500

This made me squee like a little girl. Also Mario Kart 8 (12 player online play YES) looks pretty crazy.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:25 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Then there were ten more seconds of applause with the news that the system doesn't make online checks to confirm game licenses. That's over a minute of applause given to this one issue alone.
Of course because that's the MOST RIDICULOUS PART of it all. I mean...."Licenses"? What's next? PSL's???

Microsoft can go pound sand for all I care after this. Sony has basically won the support of most, if not all, now-former XBOX supporters(now ex- ) out there.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Devil X
Devils Select ....?

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshot 43 View Post
I have no loyalty to any of these companies. I never get into the rediculous fanboy fights over who's system is best. Over the last generations of games I've ended up owning all 3 systems at some point and time (X box from day 1, PS3 about 5 months later). With this last generation sticking with the Xbox was mainly because everyone I knew was doing the same and that was the same core group of gamers I would play online with so there was no reason to switch.

That being said... I won't even consider buying another Xbox system because of what they are doing with used game market. Say what you want about "if you created something, wouldn't you want to get the most money out of it?" But that was a horrific company decision by them and they will surely pay for it when they push so many of their old customers to a competitor. $60 is well enough on its own for a game and the fact that I could put $15-$20 worth of trade in credit towards another game by possibly the same developer was why I could live with buying a game for full price here and there. Goodbye Xbox on my top shelf.... Hello Playstation... Welcome to the top.
I think someone else mentioned it also but i would have to think that places like Gamestop will be pushing PS4 way more then Xbox.

I can see more pre-order exclusives like DLC stuff with gamestop and PS4 then they will ever do for Xbox going forward.

I said before lots can happen between now and the release Xbox can change stuff but if they leave it as is they are going to take a very large hit that will hurt them.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Devil X
Devils Select ....?

Hey we might have an awesome GM Connected league for NHL 15 if all or most get PS4 plus all the current stay with PS4 and have it.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:35 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil X View Post
I think someone else mentioned it also but i would have to think that places like Gamestop will be pushing PS4 way more then Xbox.

I can see more pre-order exclusives like DLC stuff with gamestop and PS4 then they will ever do for Xbox going forward.

I said before lots can happen between now and the release Xbox can change stuff but if they leave it as is they are going to take a very large hit that will hurt them.
The MAIN change that Microsoft should do is to REMOVE the "system check for licenses" garbage. EVERY person, no matter if he owns the system/games or doesn't, should be able to PLAY. These are NOT Bank Accounts, they are games. No need to require "authorization". I mean this is looking to be the Console-version of PSL's. Has Woody Johnson been in the ear of the Microsoft Brass or something?

Old
06-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Devil X
Devils Select ....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
The MAIN change that Microsoft should do is to REMOVE the "system check for licenses" garbage. EVERY person, no matter if he owns the system/games or doesn't, should be able to PLAY. These are NOT Bank Accounts, they are games. No need to require "authorization". I mean this is looking to be the Console-version of PSL's. Has Woody Johnson been in the ear of the Microsoft Brass or something?
Yea i wonder if they can even change that at this point.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Devil X
Devils Select ....?

Yet another win for Sony.

E3 2013: PlayStation 4 Hard Drive is Removable, Upgradable

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...ble-upgradable

Old
06-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:

Just imagine the word of mouth and help from clerks. One of the main questions from a parents who walks in during Christmas... I don't know much about the Xbox or Playstation, which one would my son or daughter prefer? You can about guarantee that the informed clerk will think the PS4 is the better option but I bet GameStop or whatever gaming store will tell their employees to push the PS4.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Devil X
Devils Select ....?

Quote:
Just imagine the word of mouth and help from clerks. One of the main questions from a parents who walks in during Christmas... I don't know much about the Xbox or Playstation, which one would my son or daughter prefer? You can about guarantee that the informed clerk will think the PS4 is the better option but I bet GameStop or whatever gaming store will tell their employees to push the PS4.
Agreed not to mention the price is lower and if you start getting into things on Xbox One like always online and all the other stuff depending on how old the kid it parents will run away from Xbox.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post

This made me squee like a little girl. Also Mario Kart 8 (12 player online play YES) looks pretty crazy.

Well done. SSB brings back some good memories. Except for that jerk who would choose DK all the time and just grab you and jump off the side and kill you if you were on your last life.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Devils731

So if Gamestop is going to push PS4 because of the used game market, are game makers going to start designing exclusively for Xbox so they can control their used game content?

I actually think it's unlikely most games charge anything or more than a pittance to transfer used copies so it's not something that's weighing heavily in my decision.

An example of a game that did charge was Mass Effect 3. The game came with a code to, if I'm remembering right, unlock multiplayer. If you gave the game to a friend and they wanted to play multiplayer they needed to spend $15 to get their own code. So companies were already figuring out ways to charge for used copies of games anyway.

If every game starts charging $15 just to give a copy to my friend, so I'm waiting to see when game releases start to get announced with firm dates whether they have used restrictions on them or not.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Emperoreddy
End is Near

Song Prez just dropped the mic on Microsoft. Also

Old
06-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Devil X
Devils Select ....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
So if Gamestop is going to push PS4 because of the used game market, are game makers going to start designing exclusively for Xbox so they can control their used game content?

I actually think it's unlikely most games charge anything or more than a pittance to transfer used copies so it's not something that's weighing heavily in my decision.

An example of a game that did charge was Mass Effect 3. The game came with a code to, if I'm remembering right, unlock multiplayer. If you gave the game to a friend and they wanted to play multiplayer they needed to spend $15 to get their own code. So companies were already figuring out ways to charge for used copies of games anyway.

If every game starts charging $15 just to give a copy to my friend, so I'm waiting to see when game releases start to get announced with firm dates whether they have used restrictions on them or not.
Game makers will always have the power to add their own restrictions. However for them to start making only for Xbox wont happen simply because if PS4 sells more and is the bigger console they wont want to lose the money they would lose.

PS4 just said listen we are not going to stop you from doing what you want to do with the games YOU buy. Xbox built in restrictions instead of saying the same thing. What game makers do is their choice. Beside who gives a friend a game to a friend for online play? Normally if i am giving a game to a friend its because the single player story is good and fun. I dont see game makers restricting single player. However regardless whether you want to play single or online with Xbox you need to have an internet connection.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:

Well done. SSB brings back some good memories. Except for that jerk who would choose DK all the time and just grab you and jump off the side and kill you if you were on your last life.

competitive ssb is serious mothertrucking business. and also the only game i'm actually good at.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Many posts in this thread make me happy. Some make me laugh.

What Sony did last night was tremendous for the gaming industry. What they chose to do is HUGE.
Noooooooow I get the last part of this post

Old
06-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Hey we might have an awesome GM Connected league for NHL 15 if all or most get PS4 plus all the current stay with PS4 and have it.
Don't count on me getting it too soon. I may have pre-ordered one today because I can't help myself... but thankfully logic will hold me back from buying one at launch. Likely at least until mid 2014 if not later. So lets stick with ps3 for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post

EA does the same with their sports games, but its $10 for an online license. I'm sure they actually make a decent enough amount on this idea, but the problem is the stepping stone of what it becomes. If the publishers do this on their own, that becomes an issue with how fans will react to that specific game/publisher. Its when the system forces that that it becomes an issue. People can just stop buying from a publisher if there is too much DRM on it. Eventually they'll take notice and they'll have to do something to help boost their profit margins. When the problem is at the system level, its just going to trickle down to 1st party games and 3rd party games. And the last thing a system maker needs to do is create a policy that hurts a 3rd party developer's chances of making a profit. Only going to push them to other systems. Not saying its guaranteed to fail, but it can make quite a slippery slope.

Quote:
Noooooooow I get the last part of this post
Now I'm curious what you think I meant, in case there's something hilarious that even I didn't realize I said.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Don't count on me getting it too soon. I may have pre-ordered one today because I can't help myself... but thankfully logic will hold me back from buying one at launch. Likely at least until mid 2014 if not later. So lets stick with ps3 for now

EA does the same with their sports games, but its $10 for an online license. I'm sure they actually make a decent enough amount on this idea, but the problem is the stepping stone of what it becomes. If the publishers do this on their own, that becomes an issue with how fans will react to that specific game/publisher. Its when the system forces that that it becomes an issue. People can just stop buying from a publisher if there is too much DRM on it. Eventually they'll take notice and they'll have to do something to help boost their profit margins. When the problem is at the system level, its just going to trickle down to 1st party games and 3rd party games. And the last thing a system maker needs to do is create a policy that hurts a 3rd party developer's chances of making a profit. Only going to push them to other systems. Not saying its guaranteed to fail, but it can make quite a slippery slope.

Now I'm curious what you think I meant, in case there's something hilarious that even I didn't realize I said.
I ment the some make me laugh part. I just can't believe that anyone would even come close to defending Microsofts decision. To each his own I suppose. Obviously not directed at something you said.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Scottyk9
I love to hockey.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Part of me still wants the xbox because i really have no complaints with my 360/live experience plus I have a lot of friends that I know won't switch over. but what Sony did is simply too much to say no to them.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Scott04

Quote:
I ment the some make me laugh part. I just can't believe that anyone would even come close to defending Microsofts decision. To each his own I suppose. Obviously not directed at something you said.
Ok. Gotcha. I just didn't know if you were inferring some kind of joke with the end of my post that I hadn't anticipated/intended. You got exactly what I was going for though, so we're good there.

It's totally find if someone still prefers microsoft's system. Brand loyalty is a thing, and it doesn't always have to just disappear in one shot. Defending the decisions and claiming its the better product though is just wrong. Its not a crime to buy an inferior product and/or deal if its what works for you. But claiming the "less desirable" one is the best option is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Part of me still wants the xbox because i really have no complaints with my 360/live experience plus I have a lot of friends that I know won't switch over. but what Sony did is simply too much to say no to them.
This is essentially the view I think is 100% acceptable in defense of the xbox. All of that is a COMPLETELY valid rationale for why to get an XBone. You put enough time into a system/online experience (especially one that you have paid for), its understandable to not want to switch.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Is it what Sony did or what Xbox decided to change?

My friends who have all played Xbox have the same feelings as me. Which basically means we feel almost as if Microsoft is pushing us away. There's nothing wrong with the Playstation but I loyaly had just stuck with the Xbox for my online play. Now there aren't even any exclusives that make me stay with Xbox because Halo got old 3 games ago.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Scott04

Quote:

My friends who have all played Xbox have the same feelings as me. Which basically means we feel almost as if Microsoft is pushing us away. There's nothing wrong with the Playstation but I loyaly had just stuck with the Xbox for my online play. Now there aren't even any exclusives that make me stay with Xbox because Halo got old 3 games ago.
I assume the issue for Microsoft is just how many things they took in the wrong direction. The price is the price. If Microsoft put out a system that wasn't going to get rid of the DRM issues, and maybe even the always on component, but it was still $500, they would do fine. I think the same system but at $400 wouldn't be their saving grace exactly. The price is a big deal, and the difference between the two serves as the nail in the coffin. But I don't think price alone is their downfall this time around. I think they just took the system in the wrong direction compared to what Sony chose not to do.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i've said before that as far as the current generation goes, i think they're about even and the only reason the 360 "won" is because it was cheaper at launch and came out so much earlier.

i love having both consoles, but there's no way i'm dropping money on microsoft at this rate. there aren't enough exclusives in the world to make that an appealing decision.

sure it may seem like a good idea to pander to the developers, but those developers are only going to appreciate it for so long once your system isn't selling.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Devil X
Devils Select ....?

Quote:
That will be just in time.

The next NHL game coming out at the end of the summer is just for PS3 and 360 they are not creating a next-gen game until NHL 15 so the game after this coming season which will come out in the fall of 2014. Soooo Ill just put you down for LA.

And without quoting, i agree with everything you have said and i will leave it at that.

Btw when you pre-ordered where did you do it and with any games?? I think i am going to set up a pre-order now also was just curious.

Old
06-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Scottyk9
I love to hockey.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:

I guess it's more what Sony didn't do.

They could of went with all the DRM stuff and stuck with the 399 price point and hoped that would be enough.

Instead they really tried to grab some gamers at risk of losing some reputation with devs....you know publishers like EA can't be happy with sony right now.

Closed Thread