HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN Dumps NHL

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2005, 05:12 PM
  #26
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27
Being a big hockey fan I get mad when I hear how bad the ratings are for the sport. I decided to look into these ratings and how they are determined, well I have no idea why people put any weight into these numbers.
The way it works really are a few hundred people are selected to have the box on thier TV and they get $1 per day they have it. How can you tell what millions want to see nation wide by the viewings of a very few people? How does Jeb in Nebraska know what I want to watch on a wed night? I don't put any weight into these numbers.

Really think about it, is this such a bad thing with ESPN dumping the sport? Remember the 94 playoffs? Sorry but imagine Garry Thorne calling that cup win instead of Sam Rosen? I assume now MSG can now carry Rangers games all the way though the playoffs?
You may not put much stock in the way TV ratings are determined, but in the real world billions of dollars are spent on advertising based on that system. And until a new (and presumably better) system is developed and adapted, that's the system hockey is stuck with.

Also, part of the CBA addresses broadcasting rights for various games--I seriously doubt the next contract will give the rights to the last two playoff series back to the teams--any network that has any interest in airing hockey would demand the exclusive rights to them.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
05-29-2005, 07:29 PM
  #27
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
Also, Brooklyn...

there were millions of people upset when the NASL folded...

Fletch is offline  
Old
06-02-2005, 11:06 AM
  #28
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain
 
GentlemanOfLeisure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: East Windsor NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,978
vCash: 500
Does this mean no more Sam Ryan????? Or Steve Levy?

Oh God, i hope so.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline  
Old
06-02-2005, 11:21 AM
  #29
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
The answer is

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
the NHL should start their own network and pitch the game to the people who understand it and want to see more of it. They need to stop this nonsense about being a national sport in the US. It is regional and the sooner they realize this the better. Hockey in the south is only starting to gain a tiny little foothold. It is so only because of relocates like me moving to the south. The problem is, I like many relocates don't give a rats ass about the local southern team. Many hold true to their original team up north.

By doing their own network they can control how their own product is presented and they dictate their own schedule in broadcasting their games. They should have a midweek regional game and a national saturday night game. Hockey Night in Canada and MSG do the best broadcasts and they shoud tap into those two production teams to do a 1st class production. Have 24/7, have college and AHL games, etc. Do to hockey what Fox has done for soccer.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
06-02-2005, 11:42 AM
  #30
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
the NHL should start their own network

The hard part is getting independant cable operators to pick up your channel. It's going to be a tough sell when you look at declining historical ratings data and the fact that the sport has been on the shelf for 12 months.

What you're more likely to see is a small existing network make a offer for NHL broadcast rights. I could see NHL broadcasting fitting in with the programming on networks like Spike or OLN and I could see either being willing to part with a reasonable sum of money to make the NHL the jewel in their crown.

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
06-02-2005, 12:00 PM
  #31
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,533
vCash: 500
Just an NHL network is a bad idea... the NHL DESPERATELY NEEDS new fans. This sport is on decline. Just marketing it to people who are already fans will see the sport continue its slow decline. The NHL needs ESPN and other stations so that they have an opportunity to showcase the game. If they can showcase the game, open it up to make it more exciting, and do a better job marketing some of the young new stars then they should be okay.

Barnaby is offline  
Old
06-02-2005, 12:39 PM
  #32
Firefly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mohawk Valley
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Anyone see any other options for TV deals? For example, haven't people (here at HF) thrown a CBS/SpikeTV broadcast up for discussion for a while now?

Firefly is offline  
Old
06-02-2005, 12:40 PM
  #33
Cropduster
Registered User
 
Cropduster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
does this mean Melrose is out of a job?

Cropduster is offline  
Old
06-02-2005, 02:17 PM
  #34
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
The hard part is getting independant cable operators to pick up your channel. It's going to be a tough sell when you look at declining historical ratings data and the fact that the sport has been on the shelf for 12 months.

What you're more likely to see is a small existing network make a offer for NHL broadcast rights. I could see NHL broadcasting fitting in with the programming on networks like Spike or OLN and I could see either being willing to part with a reasonable sum of money to make the NHL the jewel in their crown.
Agreed that it would be easier with an existing outlet. But, they should control the broadcast. None of the networks ever understood hockey.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
06-02-2005, 02:23 PM
  #35
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Just an NHL network is a bad idea... the NHL DESPERATELY NEEDS new fans. This sport is on decline. Just marketing it to people who are already fans will see the sport continue its slow decline. The NHL needs ESPN and other stations so that they have an opportunity to showcase the game. If they can showcase the game, open it up to make it more exciting, and do a better job marketing some of the young new stars then they should be okay.
the problem isn't new blue. It's getting away from your roots. I agree about the marketing about young turks. Some teams, like NJ, do a horrible job of marketing their team, players and any success they have had. Why is it that NJ wins 3 cups and every year after they win their attendance goes down? The NHL has done a piss poor job of locating teams. When Colorado moved into NJ it was after McMullen had viewed a sold out NYR/Philly game. Only problem was and still is, is that does fans were there to see their team. They were not going to switch teams just because colorado came to town. The same problem has been repeated throughout the new market cities in the south. Go to any atlanta game when NY, Det, Mont, Tor, Chic, Philly, Bos come to town. Sure they draw well for those games. But the people who go to those games do not come back unless their team is playing again in town. That's a fact.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
06-02-2005, 02:34 PM
  #36
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
the problem isn't new blue. It's getting away from your roots. I agree about the marketing about young turks. Some teams, like NJ, do a horrible job of marketing their team, players and any success they have had. Why is it that NJ wins 3 cups and every year after they win their attendance goes down? The NHL has done a piss poor job of locating teams. When Colorado moved into NJ it was after McMullen had viewed a sold out NYR/Philly game. Only problem was and still is, is that does fans were there to see their team. They were not going to switch teams just because colorado came to town. The same problem has been repeated throughout the new market cities in the south. Go to any atlanta game when NY, Det, Mont, Tor, Chic, Philly, Bos come to town. Sure they draw well for those games. But the people who go to those games do not come back unless their team is playing again in town. That's a fact.
I'm not talking about location, I'm just talking about exposing the sport. Hockey needs casual fans, as much as we like to pretend they don't. Corporate boxes, advertising... etc.. is all essential. If they stick hockey on a just a hockey channel the odds of picking up new fans will be small. Without new fans the sport cannot survive. Where are the next generation of hockey fans? How many kids and casual fans lost interest more interest in the sport. Sure, 30 teams and the location of those teams don't help, but what about BIG cities. Unless it's a team that goes far every year interest is down. Most people in NY could care less about NYR or NYI. Why do you think a TB Devil Ray vs KC Royal game will beat a Flyers vs Leafs game on ESPN? Just total interest in the sport.

Barnaby is offline  
Old
06-02-2005, 03:09 PM
  #37
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Diluted talent, slowing of the game to a crawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I'm not talking about location, I'm just talking about exposing the sport. Hockey needs casual fans, as much as we like to pretend they don't. Corporate boxes, advertising... etc.. is all essential. If they stick hockey on a just a hockey channel the odds of picking up new fans will be small. Without new fans the sport cannot survive. Where are the next generation of hockey fans? How many kids and casual fans lost interest more interest in the sport. Sure, 30 teams and the location of those teams don't help, but what about BIG cities. Unless it's a team that goes far every year interest is down. Most people in NY could care less about NYR or NYI. Why do you think a TB Devil Ray vs KC Royal game will beat a Flyers vs Leafs game on ESPN? Just total interest in the sport.
not letting the gifted players play. Face it, hockey ratings are down also because the product sucks! When the NHL allowed the fact that the marginal NHL player is of equal value to the superstar, the NHL lost. This game is built on speed. As a kid I hated watching hockey on TV, then I went to my 1st live game. I was hooked overnight. The speed of the game is what sells. It's not about wider nets, fatter red lines, no red lines, colored ice, peter puck, lazer beam slap shots. You have people running it trying to sell something other than the game itself. They dreamed up all of these gimmicks. The game has to sell itslef. All of these gimmicks were brought in because the people running the league didn't beleive in the product itself. Sell the speed, the skating, all the things that make the game exciting.
Get rid of the 2 refs, they clog up the ice, they don't call the same game, so now the players have to figure out 2 refs instead on 1. All the things that Bettman has done has weighed the game down, from over expansion, to expansion in bad markets, to warm climates where people only think of ice when they want something cool to drink. Over his tenure how many strikes have there been? everytime the sport builds any momentum, poof, they are off the ice.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
06-02-2005, 03:13 PM
  #38
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,533
vCash: 500
Your absolutely right. I'm not disputing diluted talent, slower game, bad growth etc... I'm just saying your only going to gain more fans by actually putting the game on national networks where people can watch it. Let's actually market the stars. Let's see people get excited to see the crazy Russian AO go head to head with the talented Dany Heatley. If you stick hockey purely on a seperate channel then you lose many casual fans who may click it on and actually jump on the bandwagon.

Barnaby is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.