HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Up Part II: The Midnight Barkov

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Devo-2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think you're reading too much into it. I think the comment re: Sweden was about the class as a whole. If anything, I think that bodes poorly for those who are hoping guys like Burakowsky, de la Rose, Hagg, et al. end up in Buffalo. It also sounded like he had Wennberg #4 on that list of Euros.

Even if he has Lindholm below Nichushkin, there's still a good chance that Lindholm would be a great pick at #8, and that they think the same.
His discussion on Barkov and Nichushkin was based on specific questions about both from Jeremy White (i.e., "what do you think about..."). later, Howard asked who the top European's were and Kevin said "the top guy after that is Lindholm, you already mentioned Nichushkin...."

Old
06-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Dunkster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
The "Darth Regier" scenario:

Regier trades 8, 52, and Sekera to Carolina for 5.

Carolina is looking to add a roster play.

Regier trades 5, 16, Grigorenko, Vanek or Miller at 50% (maybe more) to Colorado for 1.

Roy gets one of (Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm) at 5, his pupil from Quebec, and another first rounder. Miller to Colorado is shades of his deal, and Vanek gives him a legit scorer.

Second scenario:

Regier trades 8, 52, Vanek at 50% to Nashville for 4.

Nashville wants a big four now (Weber, Josi, Rinne, Vanek) and thinks a center will drop to 8.

Regier trades 4, 16, Grigorenko, Miller to Colorado for 1.

Roy gets one of (Jones, Drouin, Barkov) at 4, his pupil from Quebec, and another first rounder. Miller to Colorado is shades of his deal.

A Darth Regier off-season.
You may not have to include #16 for phase two of your scenario

Old
06-12-2013, 01:44 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

The Sabres talk too much. They raise fans expectations and then dont have the guts or smarts to pull it off.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:57 PM
LGB24

Quote:

Regier trades 5, 16, Grigorenko, Vanek or Miller at 50% (maybe more) to Colorado for 1.

Roy gets one of (Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm) at 5, his pupil from Quebec, and another first rounder. Miller to Colorado is shades of his deal, and Vanek gives him a legit scorer.

Second scenario:

Nashville wants a big four now (Weber, Josi, Rinne, Vanek) and thinks a center will drop to 8.

Roy gets one of (Jones, Drouin, Barkov) at 4, his pupil from Quebec, and another first rounder. Miller to Colorado is shades of his deal.

so either we give up 8, 16, 52, grigorenko, sekera, vanek
or
8. 16, 52, grigorenko, vanek and miller + pay for half his contract

In either scenario how is giving up 3 firsts (inc grigs), a second and 2 of our best players to move up 7 spots a "Darth Regier" offseason? To get #1 you need a vast overpayment, much like you've displayed here in both scenarios. Im not sure how overpaying immensely to move up 7 spots deserves a bunch of praise for Darcy. The Mackinnon blinders get more ridiculous every day

Old
06-12-2013, 02:01 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkster19 View Post
I would rather give up some veterans than all those picks and prospects so my answer would be no.
it doesnt matter what you want, its what colorado wants

Old
06-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Giving up Vanek, Miller, Grigorenko, 2 firsts and whatever else for one player is stupid. I know everyone has prospect boners on this site but MacKinnon or Druin or whoever could en up being worse than Grigorenko, easily.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:

Second scenario:

Are you insane? He should be fired if he considers any of that garbage.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Giving up Vanek, Miller, Grigorenko, 2 firsts and whatever else for one player is stupid. I know everyone has prospect boners on this site but MacKinnon or Druin or whoever could en up being worse than Grigorenko, easily.
cool guess

Old
06-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
cool guess

Is it out of the realm of possibility that Grigorenko becomes a better player than anyone taken in this draft? Specifically MacKinnon?

Old
06-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Is it out of the realm of possibility that Grigorenko becomes a better player than anyone taken in this draft? Specifically MacKinnon?
Nope

Old
06-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
how big is the realm?

Old
06-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

The point is, trading Grigorenko in addition to 2 firsts, Vanek and Miller and some other stuff makes very little sense considering Grigorenkos potential and youth.

Even if MacKinnon is better making that move doesn't make sense.

I'd rather just draft the next consensus #1 guy the old fashioned way. By sucking for a year.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

Quote:

Second scenario:

I have to concur, that isn't very Darth-Regier. More moderate-to-worse case of what we'd have to give up.

Darth Regier is:

1-8,Sekera for 1-5
1-5,Miller,McCabe,2nd-2014 for 1-1

A top-pick trade represents to the fans that they will rebuild, and rebuild with top talent.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

Quote:
The point is, trading Grigorenko in addition to 2 firsts, Vanek and Miller and some other stuff makes very little sense considering Grigorenkos potential and youth.

I'd rather just draft the next consensus #1 guy the old fashioned way. By sucking for a year.
In order to suck to 1st-overall, we'd need to reduce our talent. Kind of like how we'd be doing the same to trade for MacKinnon. So why not get MacKinnon?

Old
06-12-2013, 02:23 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

How about we talk about the possibility of moving up from 16? Because frankly, I'm getting sick of these fantasy type proposals that gut out our organization to get one draft pick.

Swap picks with Phoenix, Winnipeg, or Columbus?

Old
06-12-2013, 02:23 PM
kirby11

Quote:

We'd have to suck A LOT for that...as in, trade miller, vanek, and sekera for futures and sign a scrub backup to be our starting goalie...
I don't wanna be edmonton and be stuck in a perpetual rebuild (also, before anyone brings up the positives of the young guys playing together, all those RFA contracts coming up around the same time will make it difficult to retain all of them)

Old
06-12-2013, 02:27 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
How about we talk about the possibility of moving up from 16? Because frankly, I'm getting sick of these fantasy type proposals that gut out our organization to get one draft pick.

You need a scenario to move up from 16, that's why it's not interesting. Too many variables.

Old
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

It's going to depend on opportunity cost -- who is the player available at that pick and do the teams targetted have another player higher? If it happens, it's probably going to be fairly organic as the draft unfolds.

I also wouldn't mind if they could get themselves another pick between 16 and 38. There are some juicy candidates in there who may not slip all the way down to the 38th pick. That's where the discussed veteran trade options could land them something additional.

haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:

Word. You can make a much smarter use of your resources than a lot of these trade proposals.

With the depth of talent that's supposed to be there at 5-25 this year, I'd rather we just put more bullets in the gun.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:30 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It's going to depend on opportunity cost -- who is the player available at that pick and do the teams targetted have another player higher? If it happens, it's probably going to be fairly organic as the draft unfolds.

I also wouldn't mind if they could get themselves another pick between 16 and 38. There are some juicy candidates in there who may not slip all the way down to the 38th pick. That's where the discussed veteran trade options could land them something additional.
Like Bowey, or Morrissey?

Old
06-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I have no problem trading Miller and Vanek. I have no problem trading 2 firsts, or Grigorenko.

I have a problem trading them all for one 17 year old.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Sabretip

I understood Devine's comments this morning as an acknowledgement that the teams in the 3-7 slots want primarily Buffalo's young players and that the Sabres are mulling over whether there are any players in this year's draft (i.e. someone they think is a franchise player) that they REALLY want and would be willing to part with some of their young players in return.

In other words, if the Sabres were able to get into position to draft Jones, MacKinnon or whomever they deem a future superstar, they'd be willing to give up any of their current prospects and/or youngsters (including Myers, Hodgson and Ennis).

Old
06-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Like Bowey, or Morrissey?
Zykov and Carrier, maybe Hartman are guys I'd like in the 20-38 range with another pick.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:02 PM
unte93

would Nashville take Hodgson + Vanek + 16 for 4?

Old
06-12-2013, 03:17 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by unte93 View Post
would Nashville take Hodgson + Vanek + 16 for 4?
Now that would be interesting, as the two have exhibited chemistry together, would form 2/3 of #1 or #2 line. Interesting. Maybe a signed Vanek would be more inticing.

Closed Thread