HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sam Kurker

Old
06-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 500
Sam Kurker

It seems to me that he's probably the most over looked prospect in the blues system. Former mid second rounder who has potential IMO.

I just haven't heard much about him.

What do people think of him? ETA? Potential?

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:39 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
He still has 3 more years in college and probably a couple more in the AHL.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

His coach said he played much better in the second half of the season and if he continues to play like that his points will come.

Personally, I see the kid as having 3rd line winger upside.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
He still has 3 more years in college and probably a couple more in the AHL.
You think he will stay all 4 years? Hmm.

What is his potential? Still worth the pick? Cause Bozon and Severson look better thus far.

Old
06-09-2013, 04:54 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
You think he will stay all 4 years? Hmm.

What is his potential? Still worth the pick? Cause Bozon and Severson look better thus far.
I don't really put much stock into how a prospect does in the early years of development. Jaskin is a perfect example. In Kurker's case, he's a freshman on a top college program. Besides the top prospects, it takes time for freshmen to adjust. From what I read, his overall play developed as the season went a long, but he just couldn't get points, kind of like Schwartz with the big club.

For me personally, I don't really form a big opinion of a draft pick until at least a couple years after the draft. Kurker will spend a minimum of 3 years in college though. Oshie, Backes, and Shattenkirk all spent 3 years in college and they all made immediate impacts.

Old
06-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
I don't really put much stock into how a prospect does in the early years of development. Jaskin is a perfect example. In Kurker's case, he's a freshman on a top college program. Besides the top prospects, it takes time for freshmen to adjust. From what I read, his overall play developed as the season went a long, but he just couldn't get points, kind of like Schwartz with the big club.

For me personally, I don't really form a big opinion of a draft pick until at least a couple years after the draft. Kurker will spend a minimum of 3 years in college though. Oshie, Backes, and Shattenkirk all spent 3 years in college and they all made immediate impacts.
Okay, sweet.

However, I don't think you exactly spot on with the Jaskin comparison. He was playing terrible minutes against men at a very experienced age and level. I think the way he played was actually impressive if you watched the tapes and not just read the stats.

Old
06-09-2013, 05:59 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Okay, sweet.

However, I don't think you exactly spot on with the Jaskin comparison. He was playing terrible minutes against men at a very experienced age and level. I think the way he played was actually impressive if you watched the tapes and not just read the stats.
I'm not saying they are anything alike, just that I don't put much stock into production in the year immediately following the draft.

Old
06-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
I'm not saying they are anything alike, just that I don't put much stock into production in the year immediately following the draft.
Understood.

I'm just saying Jaskin's seasons in Europe weren't all that bad. You said "Jaskin is a prime example" but he was also a 2nd round pick and played well.

Old
06-09-2013, 06:50 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Understood.

I'm just saying Jaskin's seasons in Europe weren't all that bad. You said "Jaskin is a prime example" but he was also a 2nd round pick and played well.
No, Jaskin did nothing in Europe in his first 2 years. 63 games, 12 points.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Robb_K

No way to know how Kurker will turn out. He got "freshman minutes" -few, and on the lower lines. He looks like he has the tools to develop into a "poor-man's power forward". Most likely a 3rd Line NHLer, but if he develops well, possibly a 2nd/3rd "tweener" with a good physical game. Maybe he'll develop in a way similar to Backes. If so, The Blues will have chosen well.

I think he'll play 3 years in college, and ten turn pro. He'll most likely need a year in The AHL, as well.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
No, Jaskin did nothing in Europe in his first 2 years. 63 games, 12 points.
You clearly never viewed Jaskin in europe nor did you ever review him. Playing close to 7 minutes a night and for playing 20 second shifts I'd say he did well. Forget about the stats.

His play if you viewed him was pretty good. Even his team admitted that.

Old
06-09-2013, 07:26 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
You clearly never viewed Jaskin in europe nor did you ever review him. Playing close to 7 minutes a night and for playing 20 second shifts I'd say he did well. Forget about the stats.

His play if you viewed him was pretty good. Even his team admitted that.
Cut the B.S. You are just looking for an argument because you are a fan of the guy. The point is, it took 3 years after he was drafted for him to put up big numbers. He is an offensive player and that's a fact.

You are using the same argument against Kurker. To say some players look better than him as a freshman is still way too early...After all, he hasn't gotten big minutes yet.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:11 PM
EL Bandito

Send a message via MSN to EL Bandito
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Cut the B.S. You are just looking for an argument because you are a fan of the guy. The point is, it took 3 years after he was drafted for him to put up big numbers. He is an offensive player and that's a fact.

You are using the same argument against Kurker. To say some players look better than him as a freshman is still way too early...After all, he hasn't gotten big minutes yet.
What are you talking about, 3 years after he was drafted? Jaskin put up monster numbers 1 year after he was drafted, his 19yr old season. Big difference.

EL Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

It's not always about stats!!

When a player plays just 7 minutes a night surrounded by ECHL caliber players on his line you cannot expect him to get stats!!

He played very well when he did in fact play. Solid positioning, completed passes, used his body.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
It's not always about stats!!

When a player plays just 7 minutes a night surrounded by ECHL caliber players on his line you cannot expect him to get stats!!

He played very well when he did in fact play. Solid positioning, completed passes, used his body.
He had a bad year - there is no if/and/or buts about it. Not just production wise in the CZK league, he stunk up the WJC - against kids his own age. He was NOT good.

Yes he played against Men, but we area talking about a low league here - Well below the standards of the KHL, SEL, Finnish Elite.

Guess what. Most college teams are made up of guys that are 2-3 years older then the incoming freshman.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:17 PM
nicholas89alex

if he played so well he would have gotten more than 7 minutes a night

nicholas89alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
He had a bad year - there is no if/and/or buts about it. Not just production wise in the CZK league, he stunk up the WJC - against kids his own age. He was NOT good.

Yes he played against Men, but we area talking about a low league here - Well below the standards of the KHL, SEL, Finnish Elite.

Guess what. Most college teams are made up of guys that are 2-3 years older then the incoming freshman.
I just cannot agree with you on that.

He played 7 minutes a night because that's what his team did with all of the young players regardless of potential. His GM came out and said that he would need to prove himeself for a season before getting top minutes. Had he stayed overseas he would have gotten them.

Old
06-10-2013, 05:30 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas89alex View Post
if he played so well he would have gotten more than 7 minutes a night
Same reason Tarasenko got minimal minutes in the KHL.

That is how they do things in Europe/Russia, you have to earn your minutes by playing well for extended periods of time.

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:03 PM
nicholas89alex

Tarasenko got minimal minutes in the KHL? he got 9 minutes a night as 16 year old rookie, and then 12, 14, 12, 16 a night for the next 4 seasons.

Old
06-10-2013, 06:09 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 50
Quote:
Tarasenko got minimal minutes in the KHL? he got 9 minutes a night as 16 year old rookie, and then 12, 14, 12, 16 a night for the next 4 seasons.
Is there another Tarasenko?

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:02 PM
nicholas89alex

nope that is current blue vladimer tarasenkos minutes per night in the khl. hardly minimal.

Old
06-10-2013, 07:56 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post
Is there another Tarasenko?
I heard death-knell Yoda asking this just before he faded away.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:53 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Ya, look at the other minutes of the top players on the team. He was playing minimal minutes. For someone with his skill and point totals, he didn't play as much as some of the other forwards he outplayed.

My point is, Europe/Russia leagues do not GIVE away ice time, it has to be earned with good play

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 06:01 AM
kimzey59

I like Kurker as a prospect, but he's going to take a while to fill out and develop.

I do see a lot of comparison's with Jaskin; and I see a lot of comparisons between both of them with David Backes.

PF prospects typically take a while to develop, and a lot of their offensive success has to do with who they line up with and how much they play. The big question is how the rest of their game is coming along, and you need first hand accounts to know that information.

The Blues will be in pretty good shape if we can start churning out mid-line PF prospects every few years.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
It seems to me that he's probably the most over looked prospect in the Blues' system. Former mid second rounder who has potential IMO.

I just haven't heard much about him.

What do people think of him? ETA? Potential?
I'd bet that McEchern is more overlooked, and a few more recent low round draftees and FA signees, whose names I cannot even remember.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote