HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

What The Hell Happened To...Jeff O'Neill?

Old
06-11-2013, 09:32 AM
JohnnyDrama21
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
What The Hell Happened To...Jeff O'Neill?

http://thefarmclub.net/2013/06/11/wh...o-jeff-oneill/

Even looking back, it was hard for me to fathom that he was a consistent 30+ goal guy there for awhile. He seemed like one of the most underrated guys around.

Last edited by JohnnyDrama21: 06-11-2013 at 02:27 PM.
JohnnyDrama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:09 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

He got a twitter account and it was all downhill from there.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Guy

vCash: 200
What the hell happened to...working links? (your link doesn't work)

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 02:27 PM
JohnnyDrama21
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
What the hell happened to...working links? (your link doesn't work)
Does now; Wordpress does this thing to us where it posts and then decides it'll reschedule itself to post later. Thankfully, that will end very soon.

JohnnyDrama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 02:39 PM
bleedgreen

I always followed O very closely. I watched him get drafted live in Hartford, and was one of (seriously) thousands who gave him a standing ovation that day. I was pissed that we caved to Pronger but didn't to oneill and had to wait a year. He was fifth overall, and the expectations were very high much like this year. In the end we rushed him by making him number one center at 19, and it took years for him to get it on track. Moving him to wing paid off huge, as in the NHL he was a much more a shooter than passer with up and down skating. Much like Geoff Sanderson he needed the right center, and in o'neills case I'm not sure he was a good enough skater as he got older to keep ahead of the play consistently enough to put up points. He never looked right after the lockout. My favorite moment was coming back from the nasty growing welt on his face to score a huge goal in the 02 run. That and coming back from stitches to his tongue in the same game.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:15 PM
GIN ANTONIC

The guy could snipe. Not a great skater and had some personality issues. Hated flying for one. Still one of my favourite Canes of all time.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:36 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Doesn't he still play for the team? He's in like half of their promo spots. Was he in the jersey unveiling video? I turned it off after I saw Brind'amour raising the Cup for the 900 billionth time.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

He's been on OTR a few times in the last few weeks

Stahl2Stall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Truthfully, O'Neill treated the game like it was still the late 80's pub crawl it was then. He didn't care much for conditioning. He didn't care for much of anything that wasn't about scoring goals and drinking beer. For as much trash as people give guys like Brendl, O'Neill was a dog in his own way. Leadership was able to reach him in time to salvage some of that incredible talent, but nobody was able to demand it of him once he became the veteran. He popped 41 genos and became unreachable.

I don't hate O'Neill.... but the fact that he didn't score 400 or more goals in this league is entirely on his work ethic and his love of the sauce. He dropped off like they used to in the early 30's back before anybody cared about working out.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 07:45 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Truthfully, O'Neill treated the game like it was still the late 80's pub crawl it was then. He didn't care much for conditioning. He didn't care for much of anything that wasn't about scoring goals and drinking beer. For as much trash as people give guys like Brendl, O'Neill was a dog in his own way. Leadership was able to reach him in time to salvage some of that incredible talent, but nobody was able to demand it of him once he became the veteran. He popped 41 genos and became unreachable.

I don't hate O'Neill.... but the fact that he didn't score 400 or more goals in this league is entirely on his work ethic and his love of the sauce. He dropped off like they used to in the early 30's back before anybody cared about working out.
I remember he put on quite a few pounds in the few years that he was retired. I haven't seen him on TV lately so I'm not sure if he's shed any of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was still there.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 11:17 PM
SweetStormRising

Sometimes, he shows up randomly at tailgates (I'm 5'7 for reference):

SweetStormRising is offline   Reply With Quote