HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What did the Wings do so well against the Hawks?

Old
06-09-2013, 02:31 AM
Colt.45Orr

vCash: 500
What did the Wings do so well against the Hawks?

I'll be honest, I wanted to, but with my Bruins every 2nd night and 3 young kids, I did not watch much of the Wings/Hawks series at all.

Now, with my ignorance forgiven, could someone please enlighten me as to how the Wings were able to jump out to a 3-1 lead on the the powerful Hawks team?

I work with a Hawks fan and he was livid with how the "Wings (we)re getting under our skin". Can someone please explain? What would the Bruins have to do to have similar success and why did it change after game 4?

Thanks!

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 03:58 AM
Nut Upstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
I'll be honest, I wanted to, but with my Bruins every 2nd night and 3 young kids, I did not watch much of the Wings/Hawks series at all.

Now, with my ignorance forgiven, could someone please enlighten me as to how the Wings were able to jump out to a 3-1 lead on the the powerful Hawks team?

I work with a Hawks fan and he was livid with how the "Wings (we)re getting under our skin". Can someone please explain? What would the Bruins have to do to have similar success and why did it change after game 4?

Thanks!
I don't know that the "Wings" were getting under their skins, I know a few players were. Obviously Zetterberg was in Toews' head to the point where Quenneville was doing everything he could, home or away, to get toews off the ice when Zetterberg was on it. Hank was flat out blanketing the guy, as he did to Crosby in 08 and 09. Not just being near him, but reminding him he was near him, innocent pokes, nudges, shoves, bumps on top of smothering defensive coverage. Shut him down and be an annoying shadow and it wasn't handled well by Toews at all - and when Toews gave it back, Z calmly played on, as if Toews wasn't even there, just ignored all the silliness as if he had better things to worry about.
I know others on the team did their part as well, Kronwall was singled out as another who agitated Toews, I believe Ericsson as well. I think it all combined, along with his lack of production, to really get to Toews mentally. I'm not sure that any other Hawks were really taken off of their games - not in such a significant way anyways (correct me if I'm wrong anyone).
I didn't watch any of the Chicago player interviews, not sure if players other than Toews were complaining about officiating. I think a good part of their fans' and players' frustration was that they were losing the series and looked about to be bounced. The fans and players seemed upset over non-called interference (hooking, holding etc) much like Pittsburgh fans have been claiming with your B's the last week.
Obviously we didn't continue to do what we were doing right or they are a more resilient bunch than their captain led me to believe - most likely some of both.

I honestly feel that Boston has the personnel to achieve what Detroit did - and then win one more game; I can see Bergeron or Marchand getting under Toews skin almost as well as Hank did. ****, you guys just shut down the mighty Penguins, I am hoping to see you reduce Toews, Kane et al to tears.
Best of luck to you and your Bruins.

Nut Upstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Tonic

I'll 2nd Z blanketing Toews. He frustrated the heck out of him. You could really see that. I think Towes is a big catalyst for their team and with him frustrated, Chicago was off their game. We certainly overachieved by beating Anaheim and winning 3 against Chicago. I thought Babcock did an excellent job with this team given our lack of experience.

With that said, I am expecting Boston to beat Chicago in 6 or 7 games. If Boston can shut down Crosby, Malkin, and Letang, they can easily shut down Kane, Toews, and Keith. Chicago has better depth than Pittsburgh and is much better defensively and in goal (Fleury is AWFUL). It should be a great series! Best of luck!

Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:31 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post

Thanks!
I think it was that they caught the Hawks off guard, hawks just crusied through the regular season and 1st round against Minnesota, wings wouldn't have gotten a 3-1 lead with the way Hawks are playing now

Just my 2.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Henkka

Better goaltending. Bruins will be just fine with Rask. He'll turn the Final series for Bruins.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Yemack

if you watch how wings defended in their zone, you will see they were very very close to Hawks player especially puck carrier. If you give Hawks any time and space to get creative, they will find a way. Also making it very hard to get their transition game was huge part. Though Bruins already did a great job of that against Penguins, Hawk's transition game is probably anything unlike you guys seen this season. I also have to mention Wings brilliant PK. Very aggressive and smart. Aggressive is the key word there. Finally Wings did a good job boxing out people away from net.

But IMO, it all comes down to execution of the system. I didnt watch much Bruins game to know what you guys have but I'm sure you guys have one that works. It's just matter of doing it right as a unit of 5 and willingness to compete. Bruins have that covered well obviously.

Word of caution though, Hawks already adjusted to all this that's why they came back from 3-1 hole and also beat LA who also plays well within their system and compete hard. Though it would have been interesting if a certain someone from our team didnt screw up so much at key moments. Anyways I don't think there is any easy way to shut them down by now.

tldr: 1) Bruins have to prioritize shutting down Hawk's transition game. 2) compete and stay close to puck carrier 3) watch where/how hawks score goals and drive them out of those area

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Run the Jewels

The Wings were very physical and it helped frustrate Chicago. When the Hawks got the forecheck going we struggled as our D is nothing special. Also adding Bickell and Handzus to scoring lines made things difficult for the Wings. They are both big boys. Jimmy Howard was our MVP of the playoffs and Rask will need to play at a high level for you guys. I have been very impressed with Chiarelli as a GM and I think your boys have a great shot at winning in 6. If you lose game 6 on home ice like we did I think the Hawks win the series in 7. Good luck!

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:13 AM
FlashyG

I think the thing the did best during the 3 games they won was keep the Hawks on the outside, and making guys who went to the net pay the price.

Howard was also exceptionally good during those games at controlling rebounds so the Hawks chances were often one and done shots from the side boards or the point.

When the Hawks changed up their lines to add a little more physicality to their scoring lines they were able to get to the net more often.

Another key was stopping their stretch passes, as they have a few forwards who seemingly are always hovering around center ice hoping for breakaways. Even in the games we won they had a few chances of these but Howard was very good at stopping most of them.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
I think it was that they caught the Hawks off guard, hawks just crusied through the regular season and 1st round against Minnesota, wings wouldn't have gotten a 3-1 lead with the way Hawks are playing now

Just my 2.
Agreed.

They thought they'd blow by us. They believed their own hype. But teams today aren't so far apart where you can do that. Any team that makes the playoffs can beat a team that doesn't have their head in the game.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:13 AM
sarcastro

For those 3 games in the middle, the Wings were playing Bruins-style stifling defense. If the B's play their game all series and keep the pedal down, they should take care of the Hawks. They get frustrated easily and Boston has the horses and the experience to keep them down.

sarcastro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
For those 3 games in the middle, the Wings were playing Bruins-style stifling defense. If the B's play their game all series and keep the pedal down, they should take care of the Hawks. They get frustrated easily and Boston has the horses and the experience to keep them down.
Yeah, and the hottest goaltender for a while.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
I think the thing the did best during the 3 games they won was keep the Hawks on the outside, and making guys who went to the net pay the price.

Howard was also exceptionally good during those games at controlling rebounds so the Hawks chances were often one and done shots from the side boards or the point.

When the Hawks changed up their lines to add a little more physicality to their scoring lines they were able to get to the net more often.

Another key was stopping their stretch passes, as they have a few forwards who seemingly are always hovering around center ice hoping for breakaways. Even in the games we won they had a few chances of these but Howard was very good at stopping most of them.
Good call on the stretch passes, that generated a lot of scoring chances for the Hawks.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:18 PM
HTT3*

I think Hawks are overrated and got lucky (and are getting a little help from the refs). I think Boston will shred them. Boston just look like they are on a mission.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Shoalzie

The Wings 3rd line was a lot better than the Kings third line...King and Nolan weren't nearly as big of factors as last year. Losing Richards for a couple games is like losing Hank or Pavel. Howard wasn't that much better than Quick, if at all. The Wings definitely skate better than the Kings...they're basically Blackhawks-lite who modeled after the championship Wings teams.

To boil it all down, the worst thing to happen to the Wings was to put the Hawks on the brink and to let them breath again with the Game 5 (lack of) effort.

Last edited by Shoalzie: 06-09-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 03:32 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post

When they were winning they were also doing a great job at counterattacking the stretch passes. The danger of those is they are easy to counter off of when they fall apart. The Wings have always been great at transition hockey, somewhere they might have a slight edge on Boston, although the Bruins certainly have more sustained zone pressure.

Really it is matchups, the Bruins have a nice collection of center depth. Curious if Chicago splits up Toews and Kane, because they were together against LA most of the series and that will make Boston's life very easy if they don't. Coach Q is also not a very good coach, sorry the guy is overrated, I expect Julien to have a big advantage in terms of seeing the game and making adjustments.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 03:53 PM
we like our team
#1 brett lebda fan

play actual defense

we like our team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:58 PM
fimoknete

using dats and zetta as 3rd defender. this took out the best offensive lines of the black hawks.
but as you can see this is causing a lack of score. and the blackhawks were just deeper then. keepign dats and zetta busy.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Govment Cheese
Not a Charade!

Really think the Hawks thought they were going to the WCF before the puck even dropped. Wings surprise them with how well they played and Babs coaching to get the match ups he wanted.

For getting under their skin here is what a couple fans contributed.
Pretty funny stuff went you get a guys teammates chuckling at his expense.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1433961

Govment Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:03 PM
The Nose

We also got lucky as hell.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Frk It
Thanks for Green!

coaching

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:20 PM
joe89

I think the Bruins have everything needed to deal with the Hawks. A lot of the stuff Detroit did well in games 2-4 is what the Bruins do well. Target the opposing star guy(Toews) and let that frustration zip through their team. I don't think being physical is enough, you have to get to certain players. Bergeron line on Toews and Chara on Kane, then put faith in your goalie outplaying theirs.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:29 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
When they were winning they were also doing a great job at counterattacking the stretch passes. The danger of those is they are easy to counter off of when they fall apart. The Wings have always been great at transition hockey, somewhere they might have a slight edge on Boston, although the Bruins certainly have more sustained zone pressure.

Really it is matchups, the Bruins have a nice collection of center depth. Curious if Chicago splits up Toews and Kane, because they were together against LA most of the series and that will make Boston's life very easy if they don't. Coach Q is also not a very good coach, sorry the guy is overrated, I expect Julien to have a big advantage in terms of seeing the game and making adjustments.
That's another key right there, we dominated the face-off circle in the games we won, something I think Boston can duplicate.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:34 PM
pdd

Zetterberg on Toews is the #1 reason. I still want to know Babcock's logic behind not keeping that matchup going in game 6; from what I saw when watching, it was usually Dats vs. Toews. WTF Babs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Jimmy Howard was our MVP of the playoffs
No. Jimmy was too inconsistent and made too many mistakes at bad times. He came up huge in wins, but in some of the losses his play was a big reason for the loss.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Point Shot
Keep It Realgud

Coaching, good goaltending and aggravation of their stars, especially Toews. The Wings won by getting Toews off his game and lost when Toews was on his game.

Boston plays exactly the kind of game that should, theoretically, make Toews cry.

Point Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Sentinel

Chicago did it to themselves. They just expected Detroit to roll over, Detroit didn't, Howard stole a couple of games, mentally Chicago weren't in it, Queneville was not trying very hard, etc. Once Chicago got their act together, they dominated. Really, it was Chicago against themselves (+ Howard and Zetterberg). With Smith on our blue line it was only a matter of time before things started flying in.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote