HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Edm/ott

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

vCash: 500
Edm/ott

Based on this tweet from Bob McKenzie:
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...96989209673728

If Ottawa were to look for that pick I feel as though the asking price would start (maybe end) with Jared Cowen. He seems to fit the needs of the Oilers perfectly, and having that 7th overall would definitely give the Sens some more flexibility this summer and going into next season.

Ottawa has great amounts of depth, and while they don't have a 'replacement' for Cowen per-say they did acquire Methot who actually filled the role that many thought Cowen was destined for perfectly this season (better than anyone could have hoped).

With that said would Edmonton be interested in a straight swap of Cowen for the 7th overall, or do you think there would need to be something added (personally I think that Cowen being a former 9th overall who has played well and been developed for about 3 years should be enough).

Old
06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
rockinghockey

Why would Ottawa trade away a young dman to either draft another one or a young fwd. They need help now not later.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Cowen has shown to maybe injury prone no thanks.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:39 PM
GrandLarseny
"Max, never Maxine"

vCash: 175
I don't think Ottawa should or would do this. As an Oilers fan, I'd love it.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Why would Ottawa trade away a young dman to either draft another one or a young fwd. They need help now not later.
They already have a ton of young defensive depth (Borowiecki, Wiercioch, Ceci, Gryba, Sdao, Claesson, etc.) coming up the pipes that aren't playing yet, and IIRC they're the youngest team in the league. In theory one of Monahan or Lindholm would be available with the pick both of whom may be able to play as soon as next year.

Ottawa would like to start competing next year, but that doesn't mean they're 'help now not later' mode. They already have a great team that is young so trading away some of their depth for high end talent wouldn't hurt (or in this case D for F).

Old
06-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I'd be very interested in that.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:46 PM
SpezDispenser

Cowen for...the 7th overall? No way. Cowen for one of the young forwards? Sure.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Well, just think. If Zibanejad is one of the forwards that goes in a package for a top line winger (as he was rumored to be in the deal for Nash) then the 7th overall would go a long way to helping us fill that void with one of Lindholm/Monahan (IMO) who will probably be there. Meanwhile we have Borowiecki and Wiercioch who could both play Cowen's minutes and develop into good 3/4 d-men...especially Wiercioch.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
How has Cowen proved to be worth one of th young forwards? Hes had his fair share of injury problems and his on ice play was promising but didnt leave anyone blown away.

Id do the seventh tho

Old
06-11-2013, 01:09 PM
BondraTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Well, just think. If Zibanejad is one of the forwards that goes in a package for a top line winger (as he was rumored to be in the deal for Nash) then the 7th overall would go a long way to helping us fill that void with one of Lindholm/Monahan (IMO) who will probably be there. Meanwhile we have Borowiecki and Wiercioch who could both play Cowen's minutes and develop into good 3/4 d-men...especially Wiercioch.
Neither Boro or Wiercoich are able or ready to step in for Cowen.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:10 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Cowen doesn't get you close to one of the young forwards, unless that young forward is on the level of Magnus Pajaarvi as opposed to Eberle/Yakupov/etc.

As per the 7th overall for Cowen...his injury history really scares me. He is awesome, I agree with Ottawa fans that he is great, but those injuries really make me tentative. I honestly think that someone like Cowen is the perfect partner for Justin Schultz, but considering how many good young d-men we have coming along, I think I`d rather wait and hope that we can get Monahan or Lindholm with the 7th overall. Our center depth is our biggest need.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:10 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Not that the value isn't there it is, however you're right they need players now. They have tons of prospects, if anything I feel like Ottawa trades some of the youth for ready now type players.

If it were a deal around Cowen for one of the young stars I could see that happening, Ottawa is missing legit top line talent. (obviously more then just cowen to acquire such a player)

Gonchar leaves a giant gaping hole in the D core, I cant see them moving the most likely player to jump into a top 4 role it makes little to no sense.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:12 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
The difference between Wiercioch and Cowen is massive IMO. Wiercioch is pretty good offensively, but there's no way you could trot him out against the tough competition Cowen faces. Borowiecki I like a lot, but it's pretty telling that he was sent back to the AHL by MacLean after only a few games. I would say he's still another year or two away from even making the NHL, let alone taking Cowen's 2nd pairing minutes.

I don't trade Cowen personally unless it's an offer I simply couldn't refuse. IE a big time forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
How has Cowen proved to be worth one of th young forwards? Hes had his fair share of injury problems and his on ice play was promising but didnt leave anyone blown away.

Id do the seventh tho
I think a GM who has scouts watching would think he's at least a huge part of acquiring one of Edmonton's young forwards. He was awesome in his rookie year, don't let any of his offensive numbers fool you, he stepped in and made an immediate, big time impact on the Sens blue line. Last season he was supposed to be out all year and he came back rather unexpectedly to play the last seven (I think) regular season games and into the playoffs. He wasn't in game shape at any point along the way last year - even if he trained as hard as he apparently did. I expect him to be an absolute monster this upcoming season - and again, GMs and scouts would be fully privy to this IMO.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

Id do the seventh tho
Knee injury that kept him out of the top three at the draft was repaired via surgery and has never had a problem with it again.

Had hip surgery which he rehabbed faster than anyone anticipated and is not expected to suffer from again.

Also, no thank you trading Cowen for the 7th.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:14 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
They already have a ton of young defensive depth (Borowiecki, Wiercioch, Ceci, Gryba, Sdao, Claesson, etc.) coming up the pipes that aren't playing yet, and IIRC they're the youngest team in the league. In theory one of Monahan or Lindholm would be available with the pick both of whom may be able to play as soon as next year.

Ottawa would like to start competing next year, but that doesn't mean they're 'help now not later' mode. They already have a great team that is young so trading away some of their depth for high end talent wouldn't hurt (or in this case D for F).
Our D would consist of Methot, Karlsson, an older and slower Phillips and a bunch guys with less than 50games experience? And you're saying that we would like to start competing next year? How are we going to achieve this with one of the worst defense in the NHL?

You should stop drinking the Kool-aid that have been left out of the fridge for too long.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:14 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Cowen doesn't get you close to one of the young forwards, unless that young forward is on the level of Magnus Pajaarvi as opposed to Eberle/Yakupov/etc.

As per the 7th overall for Cowen...his injury history really scares me. He is awesome, I agree with Ottawa fans that he is great, but those injuries really make me tentative. I honestly think that someone like Cowen is the perfect partner for Justin Schultz, but considering how many good young d-men we have coming along, I think I`d rather wait and hope that we can get Monahan or Lindholm with the 7th overall. Our center depth is our biggest need.
No chance then. Just close this thread. No way Ottawa ships out Cowen for anything less than one of the young Edmonton forwards. As mentioned, they'd need to add to Cowen, but he goes nowhere unless a big time forward is coming back. And lol at trading him for the 7th overall...come on.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:17 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Knee injury that kept him out of the top three at the draft was repaired via surgery and has never had a problem with it again.

Had hip surgery which he rehabbed faster than anyone anticipated and is not expected to suffer from again.

Also, no thank you trading Cowen for the 7th.
This. All of this. Close thread if anyone wants to argue that Ottawa should/could trade Cowen for the 7th overall. It would literally never happen.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:17 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post

Cowen's value = Pajaarvi?

Old
06-11-2013, 01:18 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Cowen's value = Pajaarvi?
Yeah, that actually pissed me off lol.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:26 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Yeah, that actually pissed me off lol.
Even worst, he said ''on the level of Pajaarvi. Who do they have that is on Pajaarvi's level? Was he on your 3rd line?

Old
06-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Benjamin
/\

vCash: 271
This is a backwards move. Pass.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

This draft year is arguably deeper than Cowen's. Cowen went 9th overall, and look at all the players from his own draft year that have already surpassed him in development as well as having room to grow themselves. Ottawa fans keep talking about Cowen as though he's already a top 2 defenceman on our team, and is guaranteed to be the next Chara.

Cowen was 5th in TOI/g after coming back this year. He was also 5th in TOI/g last year. He has never been a 3/4 defenceman, and his performance has not yet warranted that distinction either. Nobody is arguing that he doesn't have potential, but with Methot, Karlsson, Wiercioch and Ceci we are more in need of a top end forward than we are of a top end defenceman, especially one who's role is already filled by someone better than him by a fair margin.

It's a deal that would work well for both teams under the assumption that Monahan or Lindholm are available (maybe have something small thrown in by Edmonton to even out the development time).

Old
06-11-2013, 01:37 PM
dkollidas

Cowen and Zibanejad for Yakupov and Pjaarvi?

Ottawa gets the guy with the highest ceiling and a solid depth winger.
Edmonton gets a center behind RNH and a guy to pair with Schultz long-term.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:41 PM
SpezDispenser

I'm legitimately insulted by this thread. This is why we all swore that we'd stop Edmonton/Ottawa proposals.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Musashi

I think if you wanted to get Cowen out of Ottawa right now it would cost Eberle. You would have to pay for the potential of Cowen being a top pairing dman and think you can develop him into that. I dont think the Oilers do that though because the risk/reward would be too much for them right now and the fact that the team and city loves Eberle.

If they Oil made that trade and developed Cowen into a top pairing dman, it could turn into a hell of a trade for the oil, but that is where the risk lies

Closed Thread