HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Edm/ott

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Cowen and Zibanejad for Yakupov and Pjaarvi?

Ottawa gets the guy with the highest ceiling and a solid depth winger.
Edmonton gets a center behind RNH and a guy to pair with Schultz long-term.
If it were Cowen and Zibanejad it would be for Hall and Paajarvi IMO.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:48 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
This draft year is arguably deeper than Cowen's. Cowen went 9th overall, and look at all the players from his own draft year that have already surpassed him in development as well as having room to grow themselves. Ottawa fans keep talking about Cowen as though he's already a top 2 defenceman on our team, and is guaranteed to be the next Chara.

Cowen was 5th in TOI/g after coming back this year. He was also 5th in TOI/g last year. He has never been a 3/4 defenceman, and his performance has not yet warranted that distinction either. Nobody is arguing that he doesn't have potential, but with Methot, Karlsson, Wiercioch and Ceci we are more in need of a top end forward than we are of a top end defenceman, especially one who's role is already filled by someone better than him by a fair margin.

It's a deal that would work well for both teams under the assumption that Monahan or Lindholm are available (maybe have something small thrown in by Edmonton to even out the development time).
Last year, was Cowen's 1st one. You wanted him be top 4 minutes instead of learning the league?

This year, he had his hip surgery. He came back and played 7 games only and you want him to be thrown him in the middle of the action just like that?

I could argue that last year, he had moments of a top 2 D. He probably would have went top 5 in his draft year.

Then we will end up having 5 to 7 centres? Spezza, Zib, Pageau, Turris, Smith, 2013 draft pick and only 2 top 4 D.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:49 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Cowen's value = Pajaarvi?
No, Cowen is worth more than Pajaarvi, but the difference between Cowen`s value and Pajaarvi`s is drastically lower than the difference between Cowen`s value and that of a Yakupov/Eberle/RNH/Hall

Old
06-11-2013, 01:50 PM
OutForMilk

Quote:
This draft year is arguably deeper than Cowen's. Cowen went 9th overall, and look at all the players from his own draft year that have already surpassed him in development as well as having room to grow themselves. Ottawa fans keep talking about Cowen as though he's already a top 2 defenceman on our team, and is guaranteed to be the next Chara.

Cowen was 5th in TOI/g after coming back this year. He was also 5th in TOI/g last year. He has never been a 3/4 defenceman, and his performance has not yet warranted that distinction either. Nobody is arguing that he doesn't have potential, but with Methot, Karlsson, Wiercioch and Ceci we are more in need of a top end forward than we are of a top end defenceman, especially one who's role is already filled by someone better than him by a fair margin.

It's a deal that would work well for both teams under the assumption that Monahan or Lindholm are available (maybe have something small thrown in by Edmonton to even out the development time).
This. Cowan has never been a top pairing D on Ottawa's team. While he definintely has potential to get better, I don't see how he is worth any of the top forwards that edm has. They are already top line players. If I were Ott, I would wait, keep Cowan, and let him develop into this top pairing D that everyone says he is. He is worth more than the 7th pick just in development alone.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Benjamin
Do A Proper Buildpls

vCash: 50
Cowen + Smith for Yakupov.

I would really consider Cowen for the 7th overall if it was Monahan or Lindholm available, actually.

Sens could also trade a forward for a dman.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:51 PM
thalegion

Oilers young Core

7th pick

Cowen

Paajarvi

Old
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
No, Cowen is worth more than Pajaarvi, but the difference between Cowen`s value and Pajaarvi`s is drastically lower than the difference between Cowen`s value and that of a Yakupov/Eberle/RNH/Hall
Damn, I can't wait to see all of those guys playing in the ASG.

Old
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Cowen and Zibanejad for Yakupov and Pjaarvi?

Ottawa gets the guy with the highest ceiling and a solid depth winger.
Edmonton gets a center behind RNH and a guy to pair with Schultz long-term.
I don't think the Oilers would do that for Yakupov alone. They have no interest in trading those pieces, unless they are getting a proven superstar player back.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:52 PM
SilverRed

Backwards move and this is our 3rd year of the rebuild. It might be Alfies last year and why trade a top 4 d for a future prospect?

Old
06-11-2013, 01:53 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Damn, I can't wait to see all of those guys playing in the ASG.
Are you saying that they won't? One already has. One more would have this year had their been an ASG. And the other two have played one and two seasons respectively and will almost certainly be playing in an ASG at some point. I would actually think its a long shot for any one of those four kids to not end up playing in at least one all star game in the future.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Yeah, that actually pissed me off lol.
Kinda like when Sens fans think Cowen is worth one of the big 4

Old
06-11-2013, 01:54 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
I don't think the Oilers would do that for Yakupov alone. They have no interest in trading those pieces, unless they are getting a proven superstar player back.
Why would a team trade a proven superstar for Yak + MP?

Old
06-11-2013, 01:55 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
If it were Cowen and Zibanejad it would be for Hall and Paajarvi IMO.
There is exactly one player on Ottawa who would interest Edmonton in a deal involving Hall. And I won't bring up his name, we all know who it is and that it won't happen anyway. I don't think you understand how good Taylor Hall actually is. You don't trade forwards who score over a ppg and finish top ten in points (2nd in the conference) as 21 year olds for anything less than a superstar.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Cowen + Smith for Yakupov.
I would really consider Cowen for the 7th overall if it was Monahan or Lindholm available, actually.

Sens could also trade a forward for a dman.
Nope .

Old
06-11-2013, 01:56 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Why would a team trade a proven superstar for Yak + MP?
Because they are getting a future superstar in Yakupov. Guys like Yakupov aren't traded for parts.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Benjamin
Do A Proper Buildpls

I'd say the chances of Yakupov becoming a superstar are the same as Cowen becoming a top pairing dman.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:02 PM
JackBauer

The last time we elected to rid ourselves of a 6'6+ dman, it bit us in the ass. So as nice as the 7th would be, no thank you.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:06 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
Oilers young Core

7th pick

Cowen

Paajarvi
That is a sad post. An Edmonton post, mind you, but a sad one.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:07 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Kinda like when Sens fans think Cowen is worth one of the big 4
You can't read. I said that we'd have to add, but the basis is there. Colour me not surprised you can't see it.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:09 PM
SilverRed

Quote:
Damn, I would not even touch that as a Sens fan. Oil fans overrating their prospect much...

Old
06-11-2013, 02:14 PM
thalegion

Quote:
That is a sad post. An Edmonton post, mind you, but a sad one.
you're right it's more like (and I'll just use Eberle as an example of young core as he is the worst of the 4)

Eberle

7th

Cowen

Paajarvi

Cowen is close to 7th overall in value but a guy who tops out as a number 3 d man isn't getting you a ton, I fully understand why your fan base value's him so highly though because if he were on my team I would too.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRed View Post
Damn, I would not even touch that as a Sens fan. Oil fans overrating their prospect much...
Nice glass house Cowen is worth Yakupov though and I would not do that for Yakupov either . Yak was a first overall he is tracking like one Cowen has had injury issues Zinbanjed is a good up and comming player but not in Yakupov territory. Value might be close but you dont do quantity for a guy who could score 40,50 goals for years in this league.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:19 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
you're right it's more like (and I'll just use Eberle as an example of young core as he is the worst of the 4)

Eberle

7th

Cowen

Paajarvi

Cowen is close to 7th overall in value but a guy who tops out as a number 3 d man isn't getting you a ton, I fully understand why your fan base value's him so highly though because if he were on my team I would too.
Sure...we'll trade a number 3 D-man with the potential to play with Karlsson for the next 10 years for a 7th overall pick. Yay!

Old
06-11-2013, 02:20 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Nice glass house Cowen is worth Yakupov though and I would not do that for Yakupov either . Yak was a first overall he is tracking like one Cowen has had injury issues Zinbanjed is a good up and comming player but not in Yakupov territory. Value might be close but you dont do quantity for a guy who could score 40,50 goals for years in this league.
Imagine if a GM turned down Cowen + Zibanejad for Yakupov. You're getting into a Lowe territory of stupidity now.

Old
06-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Cowen for...the 7th overall? No way. Cowen for one of the young forwards? Sure.
Quote:
You can't read. I said that we'd have to add, but the basis is there. Colour me not surprised you can't see it.
Ok there bud I read it again

Closed Thread