HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we re-sign G Joacim Eriksson?

Old
05-15-2012, 04:23 AM
AcrossThePond

vCash: 500
Should we re-sign G Joacim Eriksson?

We previously let this guy go but with another steller performance in the Elitseren this season, is he an option to go back to IF we decide to trade Bobrovsky?

I have always liked Eriksson, who I feel is a really good goalie. I believe we had to let him go because of space on the team - had to sign before June 1st?

22 years old and will need some professional North American games under his belt before backing up Bryzgalov but he will be a cheap back-up.

What do you guys think? Ship has sailed on this one?

AcrossThePond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 05:36 AM
alatos

I would love to see him resigned, if possible.

alatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Broad Street Elite

Where does he play? I was under the impression that Hovinen was likely going to play in Adirondack next season. We already have one guy to adapt to the North American game plus Cal Heeter who goes somewhere.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Jumping

Do it Flyers! Do it for Chris Shafer.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:13 AM
ilovetheflyers8

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I don't see a giant need for it either. I think the team is sticking with Bryz and Bob for the coming season, and Hovinen is already slated to play for the Phantoms. The only issue with any of those goalies being ready to play next year is with Hovinen who got some sort of surgery not too long ago.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:08 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

I think they should re-sign him, if only for the reason that you are the first poster in quite some time who knows how to spell "re-sign" and not to use the incorrect "resign".

But seriously, if there is an open goalie space in the organization, sign him, why not.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:06 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
the mighty Novinen will save us all.

so let him sign with a divisional rival

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:06 AM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Where does he play? I was under the impression that Hovinen was likely going to play in Adirondack next season. We already have one guy to adapt to the North American game plus Cal Heeter who goes somewhere.
He plays for Skellefteć AIK in the SEL.

Regular season stats 11/12
33 GP.
1.73 GAA
93.5 SVS%

Playoff stats 11/12
19 GP
2.20 GAA
91.8 SVS%

His team went to the finals but lost to Brynas.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:12 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Don't see any reason why not...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
He plays for Skellefteć AIK in the SEL.

Regular season stats 11/12
33 GP.
1.73 GAA
93.5 SVS%

Playoff stats 11/12
19 GP
2.20 GAA
91.8 SVS%

His team went to the finals but lost to Brynas.
I meant next season assuming we signed him. It seems that our NHL/AHL goaltenders are reasonably set for next season.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:53 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I would think that Heeter will be in Trenton with Brad Phillips (assuming one of the two isn't loaned elsewhere depending on the contract between the Flyers and Titans).

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Prongo
Beer

There has to be a reason why the Flyers choose Hovinen over Eriksson. either it be they believe Hovinen is better suited to be a NHL goalie then Eriksson or maybe Eriksson doesn't have any interest to come over seas and play in the NHL right now. There was rumors that Toronto was interested in Eriksson as well, but nothing came of that. It might be he is not willing to sign because he wants to stay in his home country. So many variables to take into account with this kid. None of us are behind the scenes so all we can do is speculate. If the Flyers truly thought he was going to be a NHL goalie, don't we all think he would have been signed?

It's unreal how much attention this kid has gotten on this board. Yes he has performed pretty well this year, but before that he wan't even the starter of the team he was playing for. He has potential to become a good goalie, but for some people around he to call this non-signing a mistake without knowing full well what is going on behind the scenes is ludicrous. There is no reason to sign the kid to a 3 year entry level deal if he has no intention of playing here, then people would be complaining about him taking a contract spot up.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
There has to be a reason why the Flyers choose Hovinen over Eriksson. either it be they believe Hovinen is better suited to be a NHL goalie then Eriksson or maybe Eriksson doesn't have any interest to come over seas and play in the NHL right now. There was rumors that Toronto was interested in Eriksson as well, but nothing came of that. It might be he is not willing to sign because he wants to stay in his home country. So many variables to take into account with this kid. None of us are behind the scenes so all we can do is speculate. If the Flyers truly thought he was going to be a NHL goalie, don't we all think he would have been signed?

It's unreal how much attention this kid has gotten on this board. Yes he has performed pretty well this year, but before that he wan't even the starter of the team he was playing for. He has potential to become a good goalie, but for some people around he to call this non-signing a mistake without knowing full well what is going on behind the scenes is ludicrous. There is no reason to sign the kid to a 3 year entry level deal if he has no intention of playing here, then people would be complaining about him taking a contract spot up.
He definitely had an interest in coming over. If I recall correctly, he wanted to come over during the last year of his contract, but management wanted him to stay in Europe for another year.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Both Hovinen and Sunshine took their teams to the finals and lost. I would love to have both of them. We'll see.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:51 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

hopefully Hovinen can recover from that hip injury. Put him in the AHL for a entire year and leave him there.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
He definitely had an interest in coming over. If I recall correctly, he wanted to come over during the last year of his contract, but management wanted him to stay in Europe for another year.
Eriksson was never signed to a contract, that is why we lost his rights after last year. Europeans draftees have three years to sign a deal or we lose their rights.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Eriksson was never signed to a contract, that is why we lost his rights after last year. Europeans draftees have three years to sign a deal or we lose their rights.
Then it was the last season we had his rights he wanted to come over.

And you're right. Me thinking he had a contract made no sense at all.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:22 PM
AcrossThePond

Quote:

Lots of players get passed on by teams only to be picked up by others. Look at Matt Read; we took him where others passed.

The attention is because he is potentially right behind Markstrom in pecking order. We all know how highly rated he is and Eriksson has also come off from a fantastic season in Sweden.

Yes, we don't know what went on behind the scenes but I feel that if we had space last summer, he would have signed.

Not seen Hovinen play as of yet so I cannot comment on him.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Fenza
G-Rouxnit

I'd much rather have Eriksson than Heeter.

Fenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
This again?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:14 PM
AcrossThePond

Just spoke to Bill Meltzer who watches a lot of Swedish hockey and he mentioned that Eriksson has said he will be playing in Sweden again next season.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:23 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Well, he was a unique situation.
There was no transfer agreement at the time and after they came to an agreement, all rights of Swedish guys taken in 2008 were held for three years instead of two.

Under the current agreement, it's two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossThePond View Post
Just spoke to Bill Meltzer who watches a lot of Swedish hockey and he mentioned that Eriksson has said he will be playing in Sweden again next season.
Yeah, he has a contract with Skellefteć for two more seasons.
His contract, like all other Swedish contracts, has an out-clause though because a transfer agreement exists.
They could sign him and loan him to Skellefteć so he could honor at least one year of it.

I wasn't happy when we lost his rights and it'd be nice to get him under contract if he's interested and the organization hasn't angered him.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I wasn't happy when we lost his rights and it'd be nice to get him under contract if he's interested and the organization hasn't angered him.
I don't see why he would be interested. He'd be stuck behind Bryzgalov, Bobrovsky, and Hovinen. At worst he can stay home in Sweden and make more money than if he was playing in the AHL.

I don't see the Flyers being interested for the same reason. For better or worse they made their decisions when they signed Bryzgalov and Hovinen last summer. Eriksson would have no future here.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:46 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
What is the fascination with this kid? He was ditched by the Flyers, passed on by 30 teams in seven rounds of the following draft, then not offered a contract by any of those same 30 teams afterwards. I know his YouTube clips are pretty impressive, but why do people think this kid is going to be anything special while the professional scouts of 30 teams don't seem to think he is even worth a shot?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
What is the fascination with this kid? He was ditched by the Flyers, passed on by 30 teams in seven rounds of the following draft, then not offered a contract by any of those same 30 teams afterwards. I know his YouTube clips are pretty impressive, but why do people think this kid is going to be anything special while the professional scouts of 30 teams don't seem to think he is even worth a shot?
You could have said the same thing about Hovinen at one point. He was a 2006 draft pick that went unsigned and overlooked until last year. It's not really proof that someone lacks the ability to make it.

Eriksson has been great every year except last year so it is puzzling why they gave up on someone who has been nothing but successful.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote