HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

ESPN to decline $60M NHL option

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2005, 06:30 AM
predperson

vCash: 500
ESPN to decline $60M NHL option

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Old
05-28-2005, 04:19 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I'll be honest, if ESPN wouldn't pick up the option for 60 million, I'm not opposed to the NHL giving it away for free to some one like Fox (it doesn't have to be Fox, just an example). Fox has several channels available to use and they are well known for taking gambles, and this is one with little risk, but a huge potential payoff. Especially if the NHL can convince Fox that they are making every attempt to make hockey more entertaining. Give it to them for a year or two, and if the NHL deserves a chance for a real deal, the ratings will show it.

Old
05-28-2005, 05:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

60 million dollars, even to a peripheral league like the NHL, is a joke anyway.

That's not even 2 million per team, after things are broken down.

Old
05-28-2005, 05:47 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
60 million dollars, even to a peripheral league like the NHL, is a joke anyway.

That's not even 2 million per team, after things are broken down.

Agreed, which is why the NHL should consider offering it for free. It should be an easy sell.

Old
05-28-2005, 05:53 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Agreed, which is why the NHL should consider offering it for free. It should be an easy sell.

not to espn. even when they had reasonable amount invested, they did almost nothing to market it. i can see where giving it to a network for free might be a good idea, but it should be a network that is more committed to selling the game.

Old
05-28-2005, 05:59 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
not to espn. even when they had reasonable amount invested, they did almost nothing to market it. i can see where giving it to a network for free might be a good idea, but it should be a network that is more committed to selling the game.

Agreed, that's why I proposed Fox. I think ESPN has sunk so much into the development of the NBA that they have little left over to 'waste' on the NHL, which I think is their viewpoint of hockey right now.

If the NHL got Fox, here in Nashville, we'd have at least three channels to view hockey: Fox, Fox Sports, and FX. They could start off on FX and FS with big name games on Fox. The marketing aspect would cost money, but the NHL could offer to work hand in hand with Fox for advertising and promotion. The NHL has a lot of ground to make up, and they are going to have to bend over backwards to develop relationships with advertisors, networks, and fans to avoid falling into AFL/MLS territory.

Old
05-28-2005, 09:37 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Agreed, that's why I proposed Fox. I think ESPN has sunk so much into the development of the NBA that they have little left over to 'waste' on the NHL, which I think is their viewpoint of hockey right now.

If the NHL got Fox, here in Nashville, we'd have at least three channels to view hockey: Fox, Fox Sports, and FX. They could start off on FX and FS with big name games on Fox. The marketing aspect would cost money, but the NHL could offer to work hand in hand with Fox for advertising and promotion. The NHL has a lot of ground to make up, and they are going to have to bend over backwards to develop relationships with advertisors, networks, and fans to avoid falling into AFL/MLS territory.
ESPN magazine this past month has pot shots at the nba for the ratings falling. Maybe it's ESPN that's the problem. Two sports have had ratings drop on ESPN

Old
05-29-2005, 10:20 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
ESPN magazine this past month has pot shots at the nba for the ratings falling. Maybe it's ESPN that's the problem. Two sports have had ratings drop on ESPN
Maybe it's Disney as a whole because ABC's Monday Night Football hasn't exactly been lighting it up lately. It's so bad that it's been sent to the minors for the next few years.

Old
05-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

ESPN certainly hasn't helped the NHL the past few years.........

It really is meaningless to me because as soon as hockey is back, its center ice for me.