HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Is Zykov a better skater than Rychel?
I would say Rychel, but here's why.

Zykov has a very unusual way of skating. He's hunched over -- think Galchenyuk, in a way -- and doesn't get much power in his first few strides. He has good agility and balance though, just doesn't have as good top end speed, which is likely due to his stance.

Rychel on the other hand has made big improvements. He also takes an extra few steps to reach his top speed, but overall he looks to me like he is a bit quicker than Zykov.

What I do like about Zykov though is his positional play. If you get the chance to watch him over a full sixty minutes, you'll notice he is so smart without the puck when the play is headed into the offensive zone. He knows exactly where to go, whether it's putting himself into a spot to take a pass to continue the cycling play or in the slot, ready for a one-timer. He has quite the nose for the net too.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
Well, I'm no expert on skating, but I'll put in my 2 cents. As one who used to skate hunched over, I would think that it would be virtually impossible to change the actual posture of someone who has skated like this for years. I think when you see players' skating improve after the draft, it seems to me that it is usually going to be as a result of refining the mechanics of their skating stride. I suppose there might be some incidental changes to skating posture as a result of those refinements, but I doubt if it would significantly change the the skating posture to any appreciable degree. Also, if you take a guy like Zykov and change his skating to a more upright style, I would think it would change the whole mechanics of his game ie. shooting, stickhandling, etc. I wouldn't think changing his skating posture to an upright position would compensate for the the losses in those other areas of his game. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Well talking about that posture.. Lucic and Galchenyuk are players thats skate with a a hunch and there top speed isnt a problem also this posture has his advantages as well harder to knocked off the puck... so personally if he has lets say accelaration issues but top speed is good then no i wouldnt worry that much. Meaning if skill is there and all the rest is there... if he can improve his accelaration i guess every thing is possible. But thats just my 1 cent.

Last edited by Montreal Impact FC: 06-17-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old
06-17-2013, 11:07 PM
yianik

Hmmm, starting to wonder if it makes no cents not to take Zykov .

Old
06-17-2013, 11:38 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

Possibly pick up Moreau ? Though, he can go to Hamilton and would definitely create a long jam.

Either way we should be getting at least 1 player who's pretty big and tough.
Samuel Noreau was drafted in 2011 by NYR. They signed him to an ELC at the end of May.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe6pack View Post
If Fucale is still available at #25, Timmins should not hesitate to take him. There is little depth at this position and I fully expect Timmins to land a quality goalie with one of the picks in the first 3 rounds.
I can guarantee you that Timmins won't take Fucale with the 25th pick.
It would be utterly foolish to do so as goalies are the toughest players to project and Fucale has some obvious shortcomings right now. There are too many quality skaters to take a flyer on a goalie when we already have a franchise goaltender in place.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
Doesn't seem all that bold or nuts to me. I might even go so far as to call it likely. Even at 25.
And why do you think it's likely? I'm really high on his potential but I wouldn't go as far as to say he's the likely choice at 25.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:48 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Encounter View Post
I would say Rychel, but here's why.

Zykov has a very unusual way of skating. He's hunched over -- think Galchenyuk, in a way -- and doesn't get much power in his first few strides. He has good agility and balance though, just doesn't have as good top end speed, which is likely due to his stance.

Rychel on the other hand has made big improvements. He also takes an extra few steps to reach his top speed, but overall he looks to me like he is a bit quicker than Zykov.

What I do like about Zykov though is his positional play. If you get the chance to watch him over a full sixty minutes, you'll notice he is so smart without the puck when the play is headed into the offensive zone. He knows exactly where to go, whether it's putting himself into a spot to take a pass to continue the cycling play or in the slot, ready for a one-timer. He has quite the nose for the net too.
For those who didn't know, Zykov was a defensive winger in Russia before coming over to Baie-Comeau. That probably explains why he has very good anticipation.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:52 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I can guarantee you that Timmins won't take Fucale with the 25th pick.
It would be utterly foolish to do so as goalies are the toughest players to project and Fucale has some obvious shortcomings right now. There are too many quality skaters to take a flyer on a goalie when we already have a franchise goaltender in place.
I guess the expectation, given lack of goaltender depth in the organization, is that the Habs will be taking a goaltender this draft. I really have no problem with that but would prefer that, if they take one, it won't be in the first 2 rounds given the wealth and depth of skaters available then.

Personally, it seems to me that in drafting the best strategy is to draft to the strength of the particular draft. Each draft usually has a unique "signature" in terms of where the depth and strength of the prospects lie. Some drafts are stronger on dmen, others on forwards, others on goaltenders. This particular draft doesn't seem to have a lot of goaltender depth in it. It seems to be strong on size - big players with grit, toughness and some skill, which are the types of players the Habs need desperately. As I said, I wouldn't be upset with Habs drafting a goaltender after the 1st 2 rounds but wonder if it wouldn't be better to wait for a draft where there is a bigger contingent of potentially strong goaltenders to pick from.

Anyway, just a thought...

Old
06-18-2013, 06:14 AM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
And why do you think it's likely? I'm really high on his potential but I wouldn't go as far as to say he's the likely choice at 25.
Maybe "likely" is too strong a word. But then again I see it as being just as "likely" as any other pick, and "more likely" than a good number of them. For pretty much the reason you just said; he has high potential. Very high potential. So why wouldn't they take him? Everybody keeps saying that picks 15-60, give or take, are largely inter-changeable, so why wouldn't they take a guy at 25 when others think they should wait until 34? Is it really that big a stretch?

He fits the mold of a Timmins pick, such as it. Timmins tends, and I use "tends" very loosely, to like risers (even Galchenyuk "rose" last year), he likes character kids, and he likes athletic kids. Kids with natural physical attributes. Bailey seems to fit that bill. The fact that he is big, with room to fill out, is a bonus.

Right now I have us picking Bailey, Petan and Compher with our first three picks, and if that happens I'm looking forward to the explosion of rage that will be HF afterwards. But of course the odds of that really happening are extremely slim now aren't they? When has a mock draft ever been right?

Old
06-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Draft

Quote:
Maybe "likely" is too I'd trong a word. But then again I see it as being just as "likely" as any other pick, and "more likely" than a good number of them. For pretty much the reason you just said; he has high potential. Very high potential. So why wouldn't they take him? Everybody keeps saying that picks 15-60, give or take, are largely inter-changeable skin so why wouldn't they take a guy at 25 when others think they should wait until 34? Is it really that big a stretch?

He fits the mold of a Timmins pick, such as it. Timmins tends, and I use "tends" very loosely, to like risers (even Galchenyuk "rose" last year), he likes character kids, and he likes athletic kids. Kids with natural physical attributes. Bailey seems to fit that bill. The fact that he is big, with room to fill out, is a bonus.

Right now I have us picking Bailey, Petan and Compher with our first three picks, and if that happens I'm looking forward to the explosion of rage that will be HF afterwards. But of course the odds of that really happening are extremely slim now aren't they? When has a mock draft ever been right?
I definitely agree with you. The biggest reason that I would take Bailey at 25 is, as you said, that he has higher upside than most of the players that look to be picked ahead of him. I would be okay with missing out on Hartman, Compher, Mccoshen etc. if we got Bailey but I wouldn't be happy if it were the other way around. I'd rather take the risk of taking him at 25 than risk losing him before 34.

But, there will be fallers and I'm not sure if I'd take him over guys like Mantha, Morin, etc.

12 days.

Old
06-18-2013, 07:11 AM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I definitely agree with you. The biggest reason that I would take Bailey at 25 is, as you said, that he has higher upside than most of the players that look to be picked ahead of him. I would be okay with missing out on Hartman, Compher, Mccoshen etc. if we got Bailey but I wouldn't be happy if it were the other way around. I'd rather take the risk of taking him at 25 than risk losing him before 34.

But, there will be fallers and I'm not sure if I'd take him over guys like Mantha, Morin, etc.

12 days.
I definitely would take Morin over Bailey, but Mantha? Not so sure... I have both Morin and Mantha going before we pick though, to Buffalo and Calgary respectively, so it wouldn't be an issue in that case. But like you say, there are always fallers.

Old
06-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
I definitely would take Morin over Bailey, but Mantha? Not so sure... I have both Morin and Mantha going before we pick though, to Buffalo and Calgary respectively, so it wouldn't be an issue in that case. But like you say, there are always fallers.
You have no idea where players are going to be drafted...nobody knows. A player ranked 40th on your list could go 15th..after the top ten or so it's going to be a major crapshoot because of the depth. It promises to be a suspenseful draft.

I could see Bailey going in the first round...perhaps even to the Habs. Tons of upside. As one scout said to me, he "could be a home run."

Old
06-18-2013, 07:28 AM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
You have no idea where players are going to be drafted...nobody knows. A player ranked 40th on your list could go 15th..after the top ten or so it's going to be a major crapshoot because of the depth. It promises to be a suspenseful draft.

I could see Bailey going in the first round...perhaps even to the Habs. Tons of upside. As one scout said to me, he "could be a home run."
Indeed. Anybody who tells you they consistently hit on more than 5 or 6 players in a mock draft is either a liar or Rain Man. But then that's the fun of watching the draft, right? Box of chocolates and all that?

Old
06-18-2013, 07:38 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post

I have no problem with Bailey at 25...or whoever Timmins wants. The nice thing about the draft is that all those lists go out the window and teams take the guys they want. Every team will walk away thinking they got good value because they will all like different guys.

On the other hand I think that there could be a few guys expected to go much higher still around, and if Timmins has them high that would work too (like Beaulieau in his year). Especially since 34 & 36 is not that far away.

Old
06-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
If Fucale is still available at #25, Timmins should not hesitate to take him. There is little depth at this position and I fully expect Timmins to land a quality goalie with one of the picks in the first 3 rounds.
I really hope it's not the case. I wouldn't pick a goalie with our 1st or 2nd rounders

12 days to go!

Old
06-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I really hope it's not the case. I wouldn't pick a goalie with our 1st or 2nd rounders

12 days to go!
At this point, I think Fucale is the only pick I'd at 25 I'd be truly mad about. Everyone else in the running has enough potential to fill a major need for us.

Old
06-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
There are 4-5 goalies pretty close to Fucale in ability, I wouldn't take a goalie in round 1. Maybe if Fucale reaches 34 or 36, but guys like Martin Jarry Desrosiers or Comrie will be there in rounds 2/3.

Old
06-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post

12 days to go!
If Jarry can drop to the third round and right into the Habs 71st pick, they should not hesitate to select him. That would be a great pick.

Old
06-18-2013, 08:58 AM
WestIslander

Montreal needs to pick Mantha, Morin or Gauthier in the first round, if they don't they are clearly not filling the team need at this point which is size, grit and sandpaper!

I would love Samuel Morin, him along with Subban, Tinordi and Beaulieu in the future would mean a great well rounded defense and you can never have enough defenseman over 6'6" look at Boston right now, McQuaid and Chara are MONSTERS and Ference and Boychuk are great compliment players to them.

Tinordi - Subban
Morin - Beaulieu
Gorges - Emelin

Old
06-18-2013, 08:59 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Montreal needs to pick Mantha, Morin or Gauthier in the first round, if they don't they are clearly not filling the team need at this point which is size, grit and sandpaper!

I would love Samuel Morin, him along with Subban, Tinordi and Beaulieu in the future would mean a great well rounded defense and you can never have enough defenseman over 6'6" look at Boston right now, McQuaid and Chara are MONSTERS and Ference and Boychuk are great compliment players to them.

Tinordi - Subban
Morin - Beaulieu
Gorges - Emelin

The only thing Gautier and Mantha have is size.. they don't have a semblance of the other two things you listed.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Out of those three, Morin. I want no part of Gauthier or Mantha. None at all.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

Tinordi - Subban
Morin - Beaulieu
Gorges - Emelin
Morin has it all...not the others.

And MANY players of other leagues have those qualities...

Old
06-18-2013, 09:06 AM
WestIslander

Samuel Morin would be great but with Subban, Emelin, Gorges, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Dietz, Thrower etc. DO WE REALLY need another defensive prospect, I am just worried that we run think up front, Galchenyuk, Gallgher and Pacioretty are not enough, we need more goal scorers and power forwards.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:17 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Samuel Morin would be great but with Subban, Emelin, Gorges, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Dietz, Thrower etc. DO WE REALLY need another defensive prospect, I am just worried that we run think up front, Galchenyuk, Gallgher and Pacioretty are not enough, we need more goal scorers and power forwards.
We need a minute eating defenseman who can do it all a la Mirco Mueller or McCoshen. We don't need another offense-first D man and we can get a shut-down type later in the rounds.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
I agree that we need more forwards, but with pick 25, 34 and 36, we can afford to take a D with our first pick, and then, select two forwards...

Anyways, that's what I'm hoping for...one D and two F with our three first selection.

Closed Thread