HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Chipped bone in ankle?

Old
05-31-2013, 03:10 PM
mistrhanky

vCash: 500
Chipped bone in ankle?

Any doctors on these boards?

I took a puck on the ankle about 3 weeks ago. Some mild discoloration maybe, but really no other signs of trauma except some soreness and a bit of swelling. I can walk and exercise on it fine, even skate on it. The only problem is when putting on a skate boot it can rub against the ankle(inside ankle) the wrong way and is fairly sore. If I shift the tongue around a bit so it does not press on it, I dont notice it much though. I can feel something hard in there that will roll back and forth over the bone and I can shift it around a bit. Almost feels like a vein that you can move around... except that it is much bigger than my good ankle and feels like it is solid, not squishy like a vein.

I am thinking that this might be a big bone chip, but I didnt want to overreact and go to the doctor. Also, I admit, I don't want someone to tell me it is something that needs attention right away because I have four games in the next few weeks and would like to play. Has anyone else had something like this?

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 08:51 AM
wingnutks

I took a roller puck off my shin without any shin pads. It was sore for a while 2-3 weeks with a hard lump. Sometimes when you get swelling at/near the bone it can feel almost solid and very dense. Is it getting any smaller?

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 09:34 AM
mistrhanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
I took a roller puck off my shin without any shin pads. It was sore for a while 2-3 weeks with a hard lump. Sometimes when you get swelling at/near the bone it can feel almost solid and very dense. Is it getting any smaller?
I don't think it it is getting any smaller. I hope it is not getting larger. I think you are definitely right that it may be a pocket of swelling and it moves around and presses on a nerve. My biggest concern is that after three weeks it dies not seem to be going away. I am trying to treat it with frequent ice and advil. It is unnerving though having this mass that moves around my ankle:-)

Old
06-01-2013, 11:10 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
I don't think it it is getting any smaller. I hope it is not getting larger. I think you are definitely right that it may be a pocket of swelling and it moves around and presses on a nerve. My biggest concern is that after three weeks it dies not seem to be going away. I am trying to treat it with frequent ice and advil. It is unnerving though having this mass that moves around my ankle:-)
I hate them, but I have heard of these people called "doctors", lol. It may be worth a shot.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:17 PM
mistrhanky

So, I had determined that I really did not think it was a bone chip, but a swollen and calcified vein. Just to be sure I was not going to release a clot or something and kill my damn self, I finally broke down and went to a doctor. Well, I was wrong. It is not a bone chip, but it is a piece of bone moving around next to my ankle. The doctor described it to me this way:

When you break a bone, you set the two bones back together and your body produces some new bone to bond them. In my case, I took a slapshot to the ankle and my body has reacted to the trauma as if it were a break, and some of this bone material outside my ankle(there was never a break). This material calcified and formed a bone chip basically. Since it lies outside the ankle joint path, it is a matter of how much pain/annoyance I want to endure since it poses no real danger. It does seem to press on the nerves though and if I don't position the tongue at a good angle when I lace up, causes that new segment to move around on top of my ankle which is pretty disconcerting and not terribly pleasurable.

So for now, I play with it as much as I can. If not, I have to get it cut out. Just thought some people might find it interesting to know!