HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Negotiating rights to Filppula and White

Old
06-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Omark for rights of Ian White.
Done i thought i heard a rumor last summer that if Omark came back to the NHL that he only wanted to play for Detroit I saw it in several sites but cant remember what sites those were i would love to have Omark in Detroit he still has tons of potential.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:41 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan Ruter View Post
Filppula had an off-year, with basically only 3rd line minutes. On his breakout season, he played with Zetterberg on the 2nd line and he sure did put up some points. $4M sounds about right.
Filppula played in the top 6 almost the entire season in only a few games and not even for the whole duration was he tried outside of the Top 6 and that was in an attempt to get him an easier matchup and spark his confidence.

4 million does sound right, that is what Wings fans have been saying all season. Alas he wants Grabo and Zajac money, I know UFA guys get overpaid but I still struggle seeing even one team that is going to hit Filppula's highest demands.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:42 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I agree with this. I wasn't saying he'd take $4M. Just saying that I don't understand why the poster said he was damaged goods and that I would take him for a reasonable price.

You're wrong here. We aren't in cap hell even remotely. Pronger is going on LTIR until his contract is up. Bryzgalov and Briere are easy buyout candidates, and we can trade Meszaros to free up $4M at any point. We are fine in terms of cap space. Not that we would want to sign Filppula for $5.5-6M because he hasn't proven he's worth that much.
If Philly, a team that appears desperate for D, wants to trade Meszaros, who the heck would want him?

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:44 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Done i thought i heard a rumor last summer that if Omark came back to the NHL that he only wanted to play for Detroit I saw it in several sites but cant remember what sites those were i would love to have Omark in Detroit he still has tons of potential.
The places you hear rumors are pretty dead-set on Detroit. First Horcoff now this, I am sure he would be interested in Detroit, most of that wasn't last summer it was in the fall when Omark - Zetterberg - Brunner was terrorizing the NLA. I have a feeling though Omark has a longer list than just Detroit.

I would rather easily flop White's rights for Omark's rights though.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:46 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
You're wrong here. We aren't in cap hell even remotely. Pronger is going on LTIR until his contract is up. Bryzgalov and Briere are easy buyout candidates, and we can trade Meszaros to free up $4M at any point. We are fine in terms of cap space. Not that we would want to sign Filppula for $5.5-6M because he hasn't proven he's worth that much.
Yeah but you're going to sign Streit now too.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I agree. Regin did well when Mac made him a 2C for a while - then he bottomed out. The difference between Regin and Filpulla's talent level is obviously enormous, so I think Mac could push Filpulla into a good role for this team.

White is an intriguing one as well. I doubt Mac knows too much about him as I think he came over to Detroit when Mac left to coach us, but he fits the mould of a guy who can move the puck, yet not sacrifice defence to do it.

Did he play that way for Detroit?
The 2011-2012 season when White was partnered with Lidstrom he was very strong and very solid but unfortountly when Lidstrom retired White became lost and then was making far to many mistakes in which is sad I was very happy when Detroit picked up White he was always one of my favorite players and always did so well when Detroit was playing against him. White is the kind of person that needs to be partnered with a solid Defenseman he would be strong when partnered with Karlsson. Filppula and White imo would make Ottawa a solid contender and a force to be recconed with.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
The places you hear rumors are pretty dead-set on Detroit. First Horcoff now this, I am sure he would be interested in Detroit, most of that wasn't last summer it was in the fall when Omark - Zetterberg - Brunner was terrorizing the NLA. I have a feeling though Omark has a longer list than just Detroit.

I would rather easily flop White's rights for Omark's rights though.
Right Omarks right for Whites rights would be a no brainer and Zetterberg with Brunner and Omark would be pretty solid. And FYI The Horcoff and Omark thread was on the Edmonton board where some Edmonton fans thought that it was a real possibilitie of both Horcoff and Omark coming to Detroit it was'nt something that i personally felt would happen only Edmonton fans suggesting that possibilitie.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:04 PM
janecky

Filppula led the Wings in even-strength scoring in 2011-12.

janecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
If Philly, a team that appears desperate for D, wants to trade Meszaros, who the heck would want him?
The problem with Meszaros is that he's making $4M per year. We will keep him unless we need to clear some money. He's been injured for the majority of the last two seasons. Assuming we sign Streit, we have plenty of defensemen (Timonen, Streit, Coburn, Schenn, Meszaros, Grossmann, Gustafsson, Lauridsen, Gervais). We can afford to trade Meszaros if need be.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:35 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan Ruter View Post
Filppula had an off-year, with basically only 3rd line minutes. On his breakout season, he played with Zetterberg on the 2nd line and he sure did put up some points. $4M sounds about right.
He was in third line for only few games, to give him a boost as he couldn't do much. He was given every opportunity succeed, playing with Dats or Z or centering his own line.

He looked slower, that torn MCL might have something to do with that and that shoulder injury didn't help much. But he didn't still play like last year, stayed on perimeter, didn't engage in play the same way.

I agree 4 mil is around right for him but in that case he probably would have been re-signed already. He looked a little like he had already checked out and hopes to be cashing in. Some may give him that 5x5 board.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
So is the preceived sticking point term or amount? Buffalo could use a mid-liner of Filppula's talents and has shown a willingness to play the fool with the owner's money, quickly parted.

06-12-2013, 02:38 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
So is the preceived sticking point term or amount? Buffalo could use a mid-liner of Filppula's talents and has shown a willingness to play the fool with the owner's money, quickly parted.
Does seem like a Florida move: sign everyone.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Ishad

Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky View Post
And Justin Abdelkader led the wings in even strength scoring in 2012-2013

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:51 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 203
Quote:
Based on rumors of what he wants, it's more about the amount. 5 mil. +.

I'd be ok with that if it was for only 2-3 years but doubt he takes it. Would be ok with 5 yr, 4 mil but would prefer to look for other options first.

We saw this season what happens if he loses a step, he's almost fringe top6er. Not one you want to have on hook for 5 mil long term. And he's getting up there in age, 29. You never know when one regresses, could happen anytime as one gets on the wrong side of 30.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:52 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
And Justin Abdelkader led the wings in even strength scoring in 2012-2013
?

he was 8th

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Does seem like a Florida move: sign everyone.
Eh, Florida isn't in a scramble to get to the cap floor this summer so I doubt they need to throw money at everyone.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Based on rumors of what he wants, it's more about the amount. 5 mil. +.

I'd be ok with that if it was for only 2-3 years but doubt he takes it. Would be ok with 5 yr, 4 mil but would prefer to look for other options first.

We saw this season what happens if he loses a step, he's almost fringe top6er. Not one you want to have on hook for 5 mil long term. And he's getting up there in age, 29. You never know when one regresses, could happen anytime as one gets on the wrong side of 30.
So possibly using Grabovski as his benchmark and looking for something around that? Eek. Something about getting above the $5M/year mark makes me wary.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:00 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Eh, Florida isn't in a scramble to get to the cap floor this summer so I doubt they need to throw money at everyone.
True. Wondering if they'll resign Weiss or not.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Ishad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
?

he was 8th
He was 8th in points and first in even strength goals, but the point was the Fillpula's 2011-2012 season was a product of playing with Z.

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:07 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
The problem with Meszaros is that he's making $4M per year. We will keep him unless we need to clear some money. He's been injured for the majority of the last two seasons. Assuming we sign Streit, we have plenty of defensemen (Timonen, Streit, Coburn, Schenn, Meszaros, Grossmann, Gustafsson, Lauridsen, Gervais). We can afford to trade Meszaros if need be.
I suppose you could move him as he's played well in past seasons, but I still question if a team that everyone knows is weak on D is shopping...a D-man, how many GMs would be scared off by that? If he's not good enough for you...even if it's monetary issues only.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
I suppose you could move him as he's played well in past seasons, but I still question if a team that everyone knows is weak on D is shopping...a D-man, how many GMs would be scared off by that? If he's not good enough for you...even if it's monetary issues only.
I think it's mostly that it doesn't make sense to have 6 defensemen that make $3.5M or more when we have Erik Gustafsson looking like he should be able to take a full-time spot next season. Currently, we have the following defensemen making $3.5M+:

Timonen: $6M
Streit: $4-5M (est.)
Coburn: $4.5M
Meszaros: $4M
Grossmann: $3.5M
Schenn: $3.5M

That's just too much money on defense when we could use it on a 2nd line LW.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:45 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
He was 8th in points and first in even strength goals, but the point was the Fillpula's 2011-2012 season was a product of playing with Z.
there's a massive difference between being first in even strength points and first in even strength goals,Abdelkader was 17th(!) in even strength assists this year(****ing Brian Lashoff had more than him! Tatar had more in only 18 games and way less icetime! Cleary had twice as many!)

as for that second part there's a lot more that goes into it than that,Zetterberg struggled a lot early in the year last year and there were actually some pretty significant stretches where it was Filppula carrying that line. also while it wasn't quite as consistent as last year Zetterberg was actually Filppula's most common linemate this year too

Filppula had a legitimately very good year last year and just plain wasn't the same player this year,not even close

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:47 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
So possibly using Grabovski as his benchmark and looking for something around that? Eek. Something about getting above the $5M/year mark makes me wary.
It should, the Wings like to take care of their guys and have long been Filppula fans, they know him better than anyone else and hate that price.

Filppula has so much talent, have been hearing about him since he was drafted and Selanne started calling him a future superstar when he was working at his camps as a youngster. Honestly have always been a big Filppula fan, hope he puts it together even if he doesn't do it in Detroit. However, he seems to not understand at all what made him successful two seasons ago, when his game lacks aggression he is an average NHL player, a 3 million dollar player with hands. He just has not been consistent enough or willing to pay the price to be the kind of player that carries the value he wants.

He could do it, but at this point you have to be very wary about handing him long-term money. He already plays an uninspiring brand of hockey all too often.

Old
06-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky View Post
What a difference a year makes. Last year Flipper had his best year and White was number one in plus minus for the Wings teamed much of the year with Lidstrom. You probably could have traded Flipper for a 1st rounder at the deadline and White for a 3rd rounder. After this past shortenened season, the Wings would be lucky to get a 4th or 5th rounder for the negotiating rights. If the Wings find the right team that want them both, maybe they can turn it into a 3rd if they both sign.

Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Jimbo7200

Quote:
Who is number 51? I feel like I should know this lol. That's a good point actually. If Val can't play wing, I could be wrong about trying to get him. If he's adept at wing, then it's probably a better scenario. The only guy I can see moving to wing easily is Zibanejad, but the preference appears to be for him to play C.

EDIT: Number 51 must be Zack Smith - who is number 15.
He's much, much better at wing than at center.

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote