HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[PIT] Evgeni Malkin to be extended (8 years - $9.5M cap hit)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2013, 10:12 AM
  #251
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 81,953
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
Great deal for the Pens.

With the injury history of both Crosby and Malkin this is really the Pens being smart and covering all their bases. I would love to know the number of games they have both played together in the last four seasons.
Fellow HFBoards member Ceremony posted this in the Lounge;

RMNB ‏@russianmachine 31m
The Penguins will spend 28.3% of their salary on two players that have missed 32.7% of the last four seasons.

But really. Most of those missed games are with Crosby. Malkin has played something like 216 of the last 294. Over 70% which is good for someone who missed half a season with an MCL.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:13 AM
  #252
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
9.5 is crazy imo. Malkin is great...but in a cap system...paying that much to two forwards (albeit the best two in the world) is crazy. Malkin is showing he's in it for himself. You can take the money, but don't complain when the team can't afford quality players to surround you.
9.5 is not crazy since the max is over 12 per year. Don't forget with the new CBA you cannot sign a player that already belonged to you for more then 8 years so these 12 to 15 year deals to lower the cap hit are no longer possible

It's funny cause one day Geno is the best player in the world and better then Crosby and the next day he is over payed

Le Magnifique 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:13 AM
  #253
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Mark my words. Malkin will be traded within the next year or 2. Pittsburgh won't be able to afford all their core players if their top 2 centres are making that much money. I can see St.Louis or Dallas being interested in him.
Your words have been "marked." Please cease making further predictions.

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:15 AM
  #254
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 18,934
vCash: 500
In three years when significantly worse players are signing the same deal then you'll shut the hell up about this somehow not bring a discount.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:15 AM
  #255
Swarez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 978
vCash: 500
Good contract for both sides, probably could have gotten more if went UFA.

People are saying cap is going down next, sure thats 1 year. Than it will go right back up, look at Bettman's statement yesterday. Something about league making more from 58% of the games this season than any 58% of games at any point in 2012. (They played 58% of 82 game season).

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:15 AM
  #256
Ugene Malkin
Injured Dreams
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 25,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
was not aware of that

way to ruin my joke
A full one to boot.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:16 AM
  #257
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 81,953
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Your words have been "marked." Please cease making further predictions.
Someone else bet their balls that he'd be a Habs player in the coming years.

We have a future Eunuch.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:16 AM
  #258
Huis Clos*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ballarado
Country: United States
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
You can guarantee he would get more than 9.5 per in the open market.
Not really, but it makes your argument seem better when you can put a premise out there that can't be proven or dis-proven.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:16 AM
  #259
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
In three years when significantly worse players are signing the same deal then you'll shut the hell up about this somehow not bring a discount.
you'd think people would realize the new CBA is a whole new reality when Corey Perry signed for $8.625m

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:17 AM
  #260
Killswitch7187
Winter is here
 
Killswitch7187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: State College, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If they could have given Malkin a 12 year deal, I'm sure it would have looked exactly like Crosby's. But that isn't the reality of the new NHL. Teams can't hand out those types of contracts anymore.

His average is higher than Crosby's, just for less years. I don't see that as a discount. Malkin may sign another contract after this one that pays him more than Crosby is making over the final 4 years of his deal. So in the end, Malkin may make the same or more.
Obviously different deals, but that's my point. Malkin could have asked for a bigger caphit just based on the fact those "cheat deals" are no longer acceptable. He didn't make up those extra years by asking for more money. Definitely a discount for what his market value would have been on the open market. No doubt in my mind the Maple Leafs or Rangers, or any other team lacking a # 1 center would of thrown 10.5-11m at him.

Killswitch7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:20 AM
  #261
tony d
Captain likes them
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,289
vCash: 500
Wasn't expecting this at all. Figure Pittsburgh would trade Malkin for a stud defenseman and prospects.

__________________
tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:20 AM
  #262
KaraLupin
카라
 
KaraLupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I agree. Anyone who calls this overpayment just doesn't understand the market for top players now that Parise-style contracts have been outlawed.

I hope Giroux gives the Flyers a slight discount and signs for $7.5 million AAV instead of the $8.5 million he could probably get.
We aren't talking about the market though, we are talking about what a player is actually worth when compared to other players.

Of course he could make way more in the free agent pool, but would he actually be worth that much?

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:20 AM
  #263
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
you'd think people would realize the new CBA is a whole new reality when Corey Perry signed for $8.625m
This, kids, is why these new deals are not "overpayment". These deals are the norm and when all those cap-circumventing deals come back to bite teams in the behind, when they have a hefty chunk of dead cap on the books, maybe people will shut up about the cap-hits of these new deals.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:21 AM
  #264
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 81,953
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Wasn't expecting this at all. Figure Pittsburgh would trade Malkin for a stud defenseman and prospects.
You seriously thought we'd trade him?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:23 AM
  #265
KaraLupin
카라
 
KaraLupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
In three years when significantly worse players are signing the same deal then you'll shut the hell up about this somehow not bring a discount.
At best, the cap will be 67M in 3 years, so good luck with that.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:24 AM
  #266
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 64,234
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
He could be extended today?


What's the rule since he was only UFA next summer?
I'm curious about this too. In the last CBA, the extension couldn't be announced or filed with the league until July 1 (or 5th this year). Maybe the Penguins simply won't file the contract with the league until then.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:24 AM
  #267
BrawlFan
Registered User
 
BrawlFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
I dont know how anyone can call this a bad deal. Its only 800k more than his last contract and Pittsburgh is a cap team. They are no worst for wear than they were yesterday, in fact they now have solidified their future long-term

For anyone stating injuries may happen, well they can happen to anyone. You cant take things like that into consideration when trying to sign a guy like Malkin.

I think its a great deal for Pittsburgh, if they were smart they will let Letang walk and sign a goalie but thats just me.

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:25 AM
  #268
Shoofyou10
Registered User
 
Shoofyou10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'm curious about this too. In the last CBA, the extension couldn't be announced or filed with the league until July 1 (or 5th this year). Maybe the Penguins simply won't file the contract with the league until then.
Yep. It was agreed on today but wont be official until July 5th

Shoofyou10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:25 AM
  #269
KULEMINakajesus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Still wish some top 5 player will make their way to Toronto but good for Malkin. I read an unoffical tweet somewhere about him being able to get 15m in the KHL tax free. IMO this shows he clearly has a winning mindset.

Reading this thread made me so jealous.... That and the fact we're probably going to sign Phaneuf to 7+ very shortly.

KULEMINakajesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:25 AM
  #270
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,411
vCash: 500
Malkin is obviously a top-5 player in the NHL and so is Crosby, but this is stupid. They will never win paying 28.3% of their cap to 2 centers.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:26 AM
  #271
BrawlFan
Registered User
 
BrawlFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Malkin is obviously a top-5 player in the NHL and so is Crosby, but this is stupid. They will never win paying 28.3% of their cap to 2 centers.
They made it to the Conference finals paying them nearly that much of their cap.

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:28 AM
  #272
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Malkin is obviously a top-5 player in the NHL and so is Crosby, but this is stupid. They will never win paying 28.3% of their cap to 2 centers.
Cap will eventually be going back up

Le Magnifique 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:28 AM
  #273
Ugene Malkin
Injured Dreams
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 25,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huis Clos View Post
Not really, but it makes your argument seem better when you can put a premise out there that can't be proven or dis-proven.
Here's the premise: He's happy where he is and is paid very well, he set the contract paramenters himself.



You have to remember Geno most likely will not be contending with another top salary on his team, elsewhere.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:29 AM
  #274
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 81,953
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Malkin is obviously a top-5 player in the NHL and so is Crosby, but this is stupid. They will never win paying 28.3% of their cap to 2 centers.
Yeah, because locking up the best player in the league and another in the top 5 is stupid.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:31 AM
  #275
BrawlFan
Registered User
 
BrawlFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Yeah, because locking up the best player in the league and another in the top 5 is stupid.
I think your being way to simplistic. I think he's right if you assume the cap wont be going back up quickly because 30% is a lot. When you DO consider that the cap will increase and that players will be signing for that amount within the next 2-3 years it makes it obviously a good deal

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.