HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Does flex matter as much with a low kick point?

Old
06-11-2013, 02:33 PM
SpokedBee

vCash: 500
Does flex matter as much with a low kick point?

I was thinking since the majority of the flex comes from the lower portion of the stick cutting it won't have much of an effect?

I know Jarick will have the answer

SpokedBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I find the two are interactive. It still matters though since the part of the stick above the flex point still flexes. It just feels stiffer than a stick with a higher kick point of the same flex.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 06:06 PM
wondeROY

Cutting matters, regardless of low kick point. How much you are cutting off of course matters, are you talking about an inch, or 4 or 5 inches? If you are cutting more then a inch or 2 off, you should switch to intermediate sticks.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 07:53 PM
SpokedBee

I am taking off a good chunk of stick, I'm 5'9" 165 and I cut the stick to my collar bone in skates. I don't like the Int sticks because the shaft is smaller in diameter but it looks like i'm going to have to give one a shot (pun intended).

Thanks for the help

Old
06-12-2013, 09:53 AM
jsykes

What flex sticks are you starting with? If you're not already start with the 75 flex options out there and also Graf is now making their sticks available with a 65 flex sr stick. With this you can get the softer flex while still maintaining the larger sr shaft dimensions.

And I'll tell you the Graf sticks are actually VERY nice sticks for the money. I'd put the G75, which is less than $200 up against any of the $250 competitor sticks and you'll find similar weight and very similar performance.

I always recommend them in my store and those that buy them, probably 90% of them buy them again and are sold on them.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:02 AM
SpokedBee

I'm starting at 75 flex and cutting down to mid 90's in flex. I'll look at the Grafs and i'm surprised more company's don't make 65 flex Sr. sticks there seems to be a market out there for them.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:05 AM
AIREAYE

there are int sticks with larger shaft dimensions, mainly Reebok I find.

it matters more of how the stick's flex profile is built into the stick shaft as opposed to solely its kick point designation. both covert/widow and Reebok sic kick are advertised as low kick, yet cutting the down yields different results.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:54 PM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
What flex sticks are you starting with? If you're not already start with the 75 flex options out there and also Graf is now making their sticks available with a 65 flex sr stick. With this you can get the softer flex while still maintaining the larger sr shaft dimensions.

And I'll tell you the Graf sticks are actually VERY nice sticks for the money. I'd put the G75, which is less than $200 up against any of the $250 competitor sticks and you'll find similar weight and very similar performance.

I always recommend them in my store and those that buy them, probably 90% of them buy them again and are sold on them.
Do you work at source? Ive always wanted to try a Graf stick but I havent heard enough about them.

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote