HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wpg - det

Old
06-12-2013, 11:00 AM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Wpg - det

To Winnipeg: Brenden Smith

To Detroit: Paul Postma

My thought behind this is Winnipeg has too many RD, and Detroit has too many LD. Two players born 2 weeks apart, both have had success at AHL level and both put up similar numbers in the show last season. Both are currently offense first defenders who are bottom pairing but with second line potential.

Postma has 215 AHL games, 136 points for a .63 ppg at AHL level

Smith 186 games, 94 points for a .51 ppg at the AHL level.

Postma had 9 points in 34 games in the NHL and Smith had 8 in 34 games. So fair trade?

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Smith had the higher draft pedigree for sure, but these numbers are more in favour of Postma being his peer than I would have thought...

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
To Winnipeg: Brenden Smith

To Detroit: Paul Postma

My thought behind this is Winnipeg has too many RD, and Detroit has too many LD. Two players born 2 weeks apart, both have had success at AHL level and both put up similar numbers in the show last season. Both are currently offense first defenders who are bottom pairing but with second line potential.

Postma has 215 AHL games, 136 points for a .63 ppg at AHL level

Smith 186 games, 94 points for a .51 ppg at the AHL level.

Postma had 9 points in 34 games in the NHL and Smith had 8 in 34 games. So fair trade?
Not interested our future top pairing will be Smith and DeKeyser and besides Detroit has put way to much into Smiths developement to just let him go now. The only way Detroit parts with Smith to Winnipeg in a package deal would be for either Bogosian and or Byfuglien other then that it's not happening.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:16 AM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Not interested our future top pairing will be Smith and DeKeyser and besides Detroit has put way to much into Smiths developement to just let him go now. The only way Detroit parts with Smith to Winnipeg in a package deal would be for either Bogosian and or Byfuglien other then that it's not happening.
It's not really 'just letting his development go' when you're getting back an equal age, equally developed defencemen back. Especially when you're getting the one with superior career numbers

Old
06-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
It's not really 'just letting his development go' when you're getting back an equal age, equally developed defencemen back. Especially when you're getting the one with superior career numbers
I'm still pretty certain that Ken Holland would only depart with Smith, For a more established defenseman like Keith Yandle, Zach Bogosian and or Dustin Byfuglien. Rumor had it this past summer that Phoenix wanted Smith as part of the Yandle deal and Ken Holland said no so i dont see him doing this deal I only see Holland dealing Smith for Bogosian and you and i both know that will never happen.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:25 AM
ricky0034

Smith is a former first round pick that just played 19 minutes/game in the Playoffs(3rd among dmen in ice time) with over 2 minutes of PK time/game(3rd among dmen in PK time) as a rookie for a team that almost knocked out Chicago,he also lead the Wings defense in Playoff scoring despite only playing 12 seconds/game on the powerplay

he made a couple defensive mistakes that certain Wings fans heavily overreacted to because they didn't look pretty but overall it makes zero sense to call him "bottom pairing but with second line potential" seeing as how the Wings clearly already see him as a second pairing dman

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:26 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Easy, easy no. Postma likely tops out as 4/5 who is weak defensively, Smith has the higher potential which we need, could be a 2/3. Smith has about the same offensive potential but is a lot meaner then Postma & is more physical as well. We have our own Postma in Kindl & you can't have 2 of those types of players on your NHL team.

In his rookie year for us Smith was thrown into the fire. He played as our #3 for most of the year & didn't play too poorly. There were growing pains & he made his fair share of mistakes but you could tell he has a lot of potential. He wasn't given a chance on the PP because his special team minutes went to the PK instead. In the playoffs he was able to better find a balance in his game, he figured out when to to jump into the rush & when not to. In the playoffs, specifically round 2, he was our most dangerous offensive dman & possibly one of our top 5/6 offensive weapons overall. I think next year when Smith gets some PP time he'll put up 25-35 points & continue to develop.

Smith is worth a lot to the Wings organization & even though some fans have soured on him after his rookie season in which he was our #3 Dman, the Wings are still very big believers in him. It would likely take Scheifele/Trouba for us to consider moving Smith.

A better swap to look at would be Kindl for Postma.

Last edited by DatsyukToZetterberg: 06-12-2013 at 11:44 AM.
DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:27 AM
CurlyWatts
Rookie User

Either by design or accident you forgot to incorporate Smith's 2011/12 NHL stats which had him producing at a .50 ppg level which is what the Red Wings believe his ceiling will be. Postma doesn't have that potential and this is a very easy no for the Wings unless a significant plus is offered from Winnipeg.

CurlyWatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Easy, easy no. Postma likely tops out as 4/5 who is weak defensively, Smith has the higher potential which we need, could be a 2/3. Smith has about the same offensive potential but is a lot meaner then Postma & is more physical as well. We have our own Postma in Kindl & you can't have 2 of those types of players on your NHL team.

In his rookie year for us Smith was thrown into the fire. He played as our #3 for most of the year & didn't play too poorly. There were growing pains & he made his fair share of mistakes but you could tell he has a lot of potential. He wasn't given a chance on the PP because his special team minutes went to the PK instead. In the playoffs he was able to better find a balance in his game, he figured out when to to jump into the rush & when not to. In the playoffs, specifically round 2, he was our most dangerous offensive dman & possibly one of our top 5/6 offensive weapons overall. I think next year when Smith gets some PP time he'll put up 25-35 points & continue to develop.

Smith is worth a lot to the Wings organization & even though some fans have soured on him after his rookie in which he was our #3 Dman, the Wings are still very big believers in him. It would likely take Scheifele/Trouba for us to consider moving Smith.

A better swap to look at would be Kindl for Postma.
Agreed a swap of Kindl and Postma would be a fair deal for both clubs.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Thats bad for the Wings.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:58 PM
InjuredChoker

Meh, seems more like sideways trade. Don't see much upside from Wings perspective and potential downside if Smith progresses. Well, he's likely to improve but the question is how much.

Management is high on Smith, Babcock is very high on him.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Meh, seems more like sideways trade. Don't see much upside from Wings perspective and potential downside if Smith progresses. Well, he's likely to improve but the question is how much.

Management is high on Smith, Babcock is very high on him.
Yep pretty much from what i'm seeing is that a future top pairing of Smith and DeKeyser is'nt out of the question once Kronwall retires in a few years as he still has 6 years left in his deal they both will have tons of time to only improve.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:56 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

You did not spell 'Zach Bogosian' correctly. And no, I will not make this trade in a million years. You could make me drunk and I wouldn't accept this deal.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:09 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I like Postma a lot, but he's been back-and-forth so many times. I don't think that's enough.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:57 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Easy no.

Cory Emmerton has similar numbers to Burmistrov this season and similar numbers in AHL production, you guys interested.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

eeeek thats bad for detroit.

that postma kindle sounds littler closer to reasonable.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 06:58 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Easy no.

Cory Emmerton has similar numbers to Burmistrov this season and similar numbers in AHL production, you guys interested.
Well Emmerton had worse numbers and is 4 years older than Burmi, where Postma is the same age as Smith with better numbers. But I get why Detroit doesn't do this deal, if they feel Smith has top pairing potential. I personally don't see it from the times I've watched him, but I probably haven't watched him enough I guess.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Sweech
COYS!

I'm a Jets fan and this is terrible for the wings.

Bajeezus.

Smith is just a much more well rounded player. Postma can become a solid middle defenseman and a powerplay weapon. Smith could potentially do it all. I think Smith is fairly overrated, but he's a better asset than Postma.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

terrible

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:16 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
You did not spell 'Zach Bogosian' correctly. And no, I will not make this trade in a million years. You could make me drunk and I wouldn't accept this deal.
Challenge accepted!

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote