Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Matt Bartkowski

Old
05-14-2013, 02:17 AM
TheProfessional

vCash: 500
Matt Bartkowski

time to start showing bart some respect around here. he had a great game and is our best skating defenseman with the puck. who else on our d makes that play to campbell besides dougie? even defensively i think he played good and hes easily our smoothest skater on defense. i am glad we still have him. the way he turns the puck up quick and attacks is something we need. well done bart and congrats on your first nhl goal!

TheProfessional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:27 AM
PJ StockBB

I ****ing love this kid. I've liked him for a while and was actually happy when he didn't get traded. I wanted Iginla at the time but I was actually disappointed when I found out that Bartkowski was part of the deal. he's had some good games and some bad for us but I've always felt fans on here have been overly critical of him. he played a solid game tonight given the circumstances.

he's got good size, he's thick (haha, had to say it), he's more of a defensive d-man first but he's also a good skater and has pretty solid offensive skills. sounds like the type of defensemen that's successful in our system and he adds an element this defense could use going forward. kind of reminds me of Seidenberg in a lot of ways. don't forget that a lot of defensemen in the NHL don't come into their own in the defensive zone until their late twenties and early thirties. I know a lot of people here really like Krug but I think Bartkowski will be a bigger part of our defense going forward.

I'm happy for him

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:27 AM
brom7

Glanced over at HFFlames to see if they miss him at all. Whatever, their loss.

Great game by the kid. Seems to be a real smooth staker that can gain the zone and make a play from what is given to him. Perfect example is the pass he made to Campbell as you said. Classic case of the rookie who steps up on a stage where not many can do it. Lots of factors and reasons for the kid not to have a good game, but he comes out and has his, arguably, best game as a Bruin. Great to see. Congrats on the first Bart!

brom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:30 AM
TheProfessional

i would like to see him continue to be in the lineup regardless of whos healthy back on D

TheProfessional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:53 AM
TCL40

I thought he was a disaster last season-to the point indidntnwant to see him in another NHL game.

I admit I wasn't sad he was part of the Iginla deal.

I think he has shown some promise-and I am seeing what the flames saw in him and why they wanted him. He is a good skater and I have seen him skate the puck out under pressure enough times now to know he can do it well.

He stepped up tonight and he ate 24 minutes of ice time in a game where he was probably expected to have about 10. He is still a rookie and at times looked it but I think he finds himself easily on the NHL roster next year.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:11 AM
westernhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by brom7 View Post
Glanced over at HFFlames to see if they miss him at all. Whatever, their loss.
funny, when Bartkowski scored in the first period I posted a comment about it in the Flames board under an Iginla topic, just as a sort of related on topic thing, and the post got deleted quite soon after I made it

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:20 AM
GodTukka*

He impressed me immensely

Glen Healy actually made a good point for a change in the game: "He was mentioned in exchange for Morrow and Iginla, obviously he's good if everyone wanted him"

All in favor of keeping him as a 4 or 5 and buy out Boychuk? Aye

GodTukka* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 04:41 AM
Fopppa

Obviously brought along the right way. Blooded last season and although he wasn't quite ready then he has used that experience well to step up his game this year. He's been impressive and a bit under the radar, and last night showed he belongs with a big game at a time it was needed, especially with Seids out. He's got good instincts and impressive wheels. Look forward to seeing him mature even more.

Fopppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:02 AM
Yeti34

Great game by Bart. He's so calm out there.

Yeti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:46 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
I thought he was a disaster last season-to the point indidntnwant to see him in another NHL game.

I admit I wasn't sad he was part of the Iginla deal.

I think he has shown some promise-and I am seeing what the flames saw in him and why they wanted him. He is a good skater and I have seen him skate the puck out under pressure enough times now to know he can do it well.

He stepped up tonight and he ate 24 minutes of ice time in a game where he was probably expected to have about 10. He is still a rookie and at times looked it but I think he finds himself easily on the NHL roster next year.
I agree. Every time he played in the NHL (before this season), he seemed like he couldn't process the game at that pace. I thought that, and the fact that he was older than most prospects meant he was going to end up being a 4A type. Wrong!

Bartkowski was a monster in G7. Skating it out of danger, making plays through the neutral zone, making plays in the offensive zone... He's exactly what this defense needs more of. IMO he's played his way into the regular rotation and has earned himself a spot on the team next year.

05-14-2013, 06:55 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Props to the kid!

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:09 AM
BubbaBoot

I had made a long post yesterday about the need for the Bruins to revamp their defense.

Far too many times we've seen that scramble mode at the top of the crease/slot area and the defense looking like dinosaurs when they move and the puck more times than not ends up in the goal.

The Leafs exposed our lumbering defense....they can come flying down the wing and beat us. If the defense goes leaning that way, opponents cut back to the middle for a high percentage shot or pull up to the half wall, waiting for a trailer.

And our defense is slow to recover.

A PMD would be great but at the very least some agile and quicker defensemen could cover the area.

Traditionally we've built a punishing crew with big bodies banging opponents into submission but the game has changed....speed and agility is taking over.

While I love old time hockey, watching Boychuk and McQuaid can be terrifying....they are slow and sometimes look awkward lunging into space (or the boards) as they get beat trying for that big hit. Ideally having both size/strength with speed/agility would be great but only Dougie seems to have that trait....thankfully his learning curve is quick.

Now Bartkowski has surprised. His call up earlier this season showed a player with far more poise than what he had previously displayed. He's not perfect but damn he added a dimension that hasn't been on display around these parts since Bourque left....that being, (sort of like Gardiner-lite), able to hold onto the puck for a better outlet as well as having some speed and PMD qualities that are sorely needed. Being of decent size means he can't be pushed off the puck in scrums too.....

Ference has a little bit of this but he is on the smallish side and has been really getting banged up....he had a horrendous contract season and despite having a good locker room presence, may not get resigned.

Has Bartkowski's play become a catalyst for opening the door to Andy's departure? Does Andy take a hometown discount for another year or two and become a mentor in his final years?

Does the development of Dougie also see a packaging of McQuaid or Boychuk for a solid 3rd line RWer or a high draft pick to pick a solid fleet wing prospect, (I've read that this is supposed to be a good draft year)?

Either way, Bartkowski looks like he has established a solid foothold.....this is going to be an interesting off-season in an area that the Bruins need to upgrade.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Hamilton Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
kind of reminds me of Seidenberg in a lot of ways.

That's what I thought, last night, watching him. There were times I had to remind myself that 44 was on the bench. He looks like a keeper.

Hamilton Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

vCash: 50
Props to Bart...This kid brought it tonight and played like a season vet in the biggest game of his life!

He was so calm with the puck...

05-14-2013, 07:53 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Brian View Post
That's what I thought, last night, watching him. There were times I had to remind myself that 44 was on the bench. He looks like a keeper.
You know I just realized I did this too-at one point in the OT unthought it was Seids and even asked if that was him on the ice-then I saw the 3 next to the 4 and realized it was Bart.

He held his own and that's all anyone can ask. Not sure how much I want to rely on him though-Rangers will certainly look to take advantage of his inexperience but kid sure had a trial by fire last night.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Thank you Chuck Kobasew and Byron Bitz. We landed Bart along with Seids with that trade.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:56 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
You need goals to win and Bergeron was the man last night, but Bartkowski was huge. They don't win without him stepping up. The kid makes the parent club out of camp this September.

05-14-2013, 08:08 AM
northeastern

the leafs fans behind me at the game were in love with bart. kept talking about him. well that is until the bruins tied it up, then they didn't talk so much.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:11 AM
ODAAT

Let`s see how he reacts against a more experienced Rags before we all get too crazy with optimism

Had a very good game, and it "appears" like he "could" be something, but I`ll temper my expectations, been down that road with guys like Lashoff/Hunwick/Kampfer

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Let`s see how he reacts against a more experienced Rags before we all get too crazy with optimism

Had a very good game, and it "appears" like he "could" be something, but I`ll temper my expectations, been down that road with guys like Lashoff/Hunwick/Kampfer
I guess Claude knew what he was doing afterall

Greek_physique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:15 AM
TSBruins13

I thought he shined last night. I was about ready to post "Well, we got blown out but at least we have seen that Bartkowski is the real deal." Thankfully Lucic and friends made the first part of that statement false!

I love his confidence and poise. He is speedy and seems to have a great sense as to when he can safely break out on offense. He has a bit of an edge to his game which fits in well.

Pairing him with Dougie though.....scary. They had difficulty getting the puck out, looked like a game of hot-potato "no, you take it out," "no, your turn."

Regardless...I am happy this guy is in our system and see him slotting in full-time next season. Hope Clode keeps him in for the remainder of the cup run this year.

TSBruins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:18 AM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Bart really impressed me. He could have easily **** his pants last night and crawled into the fetal position. I hope he's ready to continue because our D is falling apart.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:40 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

One of the ones I was right about, it only took a couple of years for him to start to show it

After he was acquired, I loved Bart in his first training camp and was pimping him even though the vast majority of people liked Kampfer better. My reasons were pretty simple, he had the wheels that Kamp had, but he also has legit NHL size at 200+ pounds. I agree that he did not show much in his first few NHL cameo appearances, but I liked what I saw in his AHL games, and I tend to be more patient with d-men. Bart also left Ohio State early for the NHL, so he is still young.

I think the B's (even though they won Game 7), need to add some puck movers back on the blue line next season. Maybe Bart can be one of those guys? At any rate, I thought last night and the end result was a great experience for both Dougie and Bart, and it should help them in the next series if they are in the lineup.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:47 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
big and can really skate- may be even better than Dougie....like to see what he looks like after he's played 100 plus NHL games. I think we are going to be very happy with Iginla dumping us for Crosby someday.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:48 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
Thank you Chuck Kobasew and Byron Bitz. We landed Bart along with Seids with that trade.
speaking of Seids, we walked down the stairs afterwards same time as Mr and Mrs Seids

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote