HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shero - Bylsma (Non-)Apocalyptic End of Season Press Conference | +/- Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
This is the most-confusing aspect of today for me. I knew they'd keep MAF, just given the goalie market, etc... I figured they'd keep Bylsma, just because who is going to replace him?

But why the assistance? Neither the forwards nor the defense shined in any particular way, and they are in charge of both.
Well, they're 'all in'.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I see this allot, its just not true, lots of teams with great talent don't make the playoffs, look at the flyers and lightning this year.
there is not a single coach in the NHL or AHL who would miss the playoffs with the talent this team had this season. Not one. If I showed up, I wouldn't be taken seriously. At that point, Sidney Crosby, Craig Adams and Brooks Orpik would players coach the team into the playoffs.

Old
Ugene Malkin
Drank from the Cup

Old
06-12-2013, 12:28 PM
cajal
Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
He should be gone too in that (likely) scenario
Oh, I agree. However, I don't think ownership does necessarily.

Edit: After today, I have absolutely no feel for what ownership thinks at all.

Last edited by cajal: 06-12-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: addition
Old
06-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Happy with Shero's decision to keep DB, i know most fans don't like him, but hes one of the best coaches in the league, were lucky to have him, we have been cup contenders every year with DB.

Didn't want to see MAF back, but i also didn't want to see Martin back, i trust Shero, hes shown how great of a GM he is, he knows MAF better then any of us do.
With this roster, you'd have to be a complete moron to not make this team a cup contender. It does not make him a great coach. A great coach gets great results. We get regular-season results. Until the NHL starts implementing UEFA and English Premier League attitudes about the regular season, and other various little tournaments in and around the Stanley Cup, it's the Stanley Cup that matters and only matters in this sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i gregory View Post
I still like Shero as GM... though I'm not a member of the aforementioned church. If the team implodes again in the playoffs next year, Bylsma will still be gone extension or not. Buying him out is doable if we have the same result (likely).

In that case, I'm not so sure Shero goes as well.
Why? Why are we sure they would do ANYTHING if they implode next spring? We've just seen two straight implosions. One against our hated rivals, and nothing happened. One with the mentality that we were going "all in"...and nothing happened.

People can keep thinking these guys will be on a short leash if it happens again but the eyeball test suggests these guys are here for as long as they want. Why should we believe any differently now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I could coach this team to a playoff spot. As long as Sid and Geno are together with a reasonable roster, this team is a Cup contender with or without Dan Bylsma.
Exactly.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
It's sad, but i'll root for the team to start off like 0-9 next year. Early enough to turn it around but good enough to get the guy fired. Even if we go undefeated in the regular season it doesn't matter. It's all down to winning the Cup now.

Shero just put so much pressure on himself. What a DUMB move.
0-4 was enough to get rid of Hlinka after a ECF loss. Then again, our GM then felt comfortable evaluating coaching adjustments (or lack thereof).

Old
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Shero just put so much pressure on himself. What a DUMB move.
Did he, though? He didn't even have to sell it to Mario and Burkle.

The dog has noticed my suffering.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:30 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Well, they're 'all in'.
Penguins2013: the only time you can be all-in and lose, and not go broke.

(please don't pull out the "well your stack could be bigger than his" crap, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN)

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
this organization is full of itself...
Torts was right.

Old
shizno*

It's NOT a DUMB move by Shero, IF he fires Dan, and the replacement fails, then the hammer may fall on Shero (See: Washington). When we don't win the cup next year (let's face it, it's a long shot even with the greatest coach ever!) he has an out and could throw Dan under the bus, saving himself.

Before you say "retaining him will fall on Shero", this is false if Ron/Mario were 100% onboard with Dan.

Old
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabm8 View Post
Did he, though? He didn't even have to sell it to Mario and Burkle.
Yep, Shero is feeling no added pressure due to this move. Mario and Ron are on board.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:31 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
We've been cup pretenders every year since Bylsma implemented his system and surrounded himself with his cronies.

Saying the Pens keep not making it because of a break here or there is like saying Pickett's charge almost worked.

I dunno how you can say that, Pens have been one of the Cup favorites every year under DB, except the year Sid and Geno got hurt, being cup contenders don't mean your gonna win the cup, just means your one of the teams that have a chance to win it.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:31 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by i gregory View Post
Oh, I agree. However, I don't think ownership does necessarily.
At this point, agreed about ownership. As I said, this thing stinks to the core. That includes ownership.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Nine View Post
I'm all for people having their own opinion and all that, but seriously? How can you WANT your favorite team to fail? Is it THAT important to you that Bylsma/Shero/Fleury/insert whoever is gone that you rather the team fail miserably than getting their **** together and win?

They may or may not (and if they don't then I'd wager Shero is gone as well), who knows, but it's frankly appalling that fans of this team wants it to fail.

I hope they build on their successful season this year with a conference trophy and conference finals. If they don't, we'll see what happens.
We aint winning a cup this way. We certainly aint winning more than one.

I love this team more than I love myself. Don't question that. But losses were what this team needed in 2008-09. It's what they need now.

Pain for gain. You'll thank me later.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I dunno how you can say that, Pens have been one of the Cup favorites every year under DB, except the year Sid and Geno got hurt, being cup contenders don't mean your gonna win the cup, just means your one of the teams that have a chance to win it.
And in those years, we have made the final 4 once and got swept there.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:33 PM
GaryT

i don't buy all the good things they're' saying about Fleury.

they're probably talking him up with an ulterior motive.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:34 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Penguins2013: the only time you can be all-in and lose, and not go broke.

(please don't pull out the "well your stack could be bigger than his" crap, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN)
Well, your stack could be bigger than his.

Old
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryT View Post

I don't think so. There's a lot of truth to what Shero said re: where are you going to find someone who can play 60 games a year. I thought Shero was honest in a lot of things he said today (I just thought a lot of things he said honestly were stupid). I don't think they were trying to increase Fleury's value. Tape don't lie.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Yep, Shero is feeling no added pressure due to this move. Mario and Ron are on board.
Agreed. And, it's what makes all of this worse. As I said, I hoped that Shero was better than this. I expected Mario to be. My mistake.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:35 PM
shizno*

Ah yes the Pittsburgh Penguins, the team that is so good a monkey could get them into #1 seed, but when they lose a playoff series it's because the Jack Adams winning coach is a phony. We will be lucky to win another cup and there's ALWAYS going to be some excuse for why, just keep adding to that list

Fatigue.
Injury.
Goalie.
Mental preparation.
Coach.
Next season:
Rookie mistakes.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:36 PM
KIRK

Quote:
The Pens had a chance to win the cup the three years Sid and Geno weren't hurt like Pickett had a chance to win that charge.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:36 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryT View Post

My concern is, like many yinzers, they think he's a "nice guy" who "won a cup" and can thereby do no wrong ever.

To put something in perspective, when Fleury begins the season, he will have lasted one more season as starter than Cloutier did after each player's first monumental playoff flameout in the NHL. He will take sole possession of the record for most consecutive eggs laid in the playoffs by a goaltender next spring.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:37 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
The Pens had a chance to win the cup the three years Sid and Geno weren't hurt like Pickett had a chance to win that charge.
We can break em in the centah. In the centah, they are weak. I know it.

General... if we can take that ridge...

Oh, we can. We will.

<splat>

Old
06-12-2013, 12:38 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizno View Post
Ah yes the Pittsburgh Penguins, the team that is so good a monkey could get them into #1 seed, but when they lose a playoff series it's because the Jack Adams winning coach is a phony. We will be lucky to win another cup and there's ALWAYS going to be some excuse for why, just keep adding to that list

Fatigue.
Injury.
Goalie.
Mental preparation.
Coach.
Next season:
Rookie mistakes.
That's the beauty of the random excuse generator. If the excuse isn't there already, then you just add it.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:38 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Oh yeah. I still believe Letang will be traded after they cannot agree to terms this summer. So there's that. The third-most glaring problem with the team might be addressed.

Closed Thread