HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Pittsburgh-Nashville

Old
06-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh-Nashville

I've tossed this idea around with both fanbases, and it's been generally considered a decent trade. Thoughts?

gets Niskanen
get Kostitsyn

Both are free agents after next year. With Dupuis and Iginla possibly leaving, Pittsburgh could use a playmaking winger, and SK's passing abilities are being wasted with Nashville's lack of finishers. He could be a great compliment to any of Crosby, Malkin, or Neal.

Nashville needs a 2nd pairing PMD to play with Klein, and Niskanen seems like a great #4D option while Ellis/Blum mature into that role.

Salary is nearly even, but both teams fill a need that would be more expensive in free agency and free up roster spots at positions they need them (Dumolin for the Pens and Forsberg for the Preds).

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:08 PM
mr sidney crosby

Deal

mr sidney crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
i can see that SK was fourth among PK forwards in SH/TOI. was he any good at it? Pens could be losing four of their top five PK forwards: Dupuis, Cooke and Adams are free agents and Glass should be traded if their is any sanity left in the organization.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
i can see that SK was fourth among PK forwards in SH/TOI. was he any good at it? Pens could be losing four of their top five PK forwards: Dupuis, Cooke and Adams are free agents and Glass should be traded if their is any sanity left in the organization.
He has alright. He wasn't one of our better ones, but that's mostly because Nashville is loaded with defensive forwards (Fisher, Legwand, Gaustad, Spaling, etc.). The fact that he got PK time at all says something.

He is very under-rated defensively.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Sivek

A surprisingly decent trade proposal on the Trade and Free Agent Talk board, who knew.

Pens certainly could use a winger that has the ability to set up others and Niskanen is a good 3rd pairing d-man that is stretched when he's asked to be more than that for an extended period. Niskanen could play 2nd-pairng minutes, but he would have to be the worse of the two d-men.

Last edited by Sivek: 06-12-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:27 PM
penguins2946*

For once, a trade proposal on the main boards that you don't want to claw your eyes out reading (like the Sabres-Avs thread for the top pick, it's terribad in there). Is SK a RW or a LW? That would probably determine if he plays with Sid and Kunitz at RW or Neal and Malkin at LW.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
A surprisingly decent trade proposal on the Trade and Free Agent Talk board, who knew.

Pens certainly could use a winger that has the ability to set up others and Niskanen is a good 3rd pairing d-man that is stretched when he's asked to be more than that for an extended period. Niskanen could play 2nd-pairng minutes, but he would have to be the worse of the two d-man.
He would. Kevin Klein would be his partner, and our true #3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Crash View Post
For once, a trade proposal on the main boards that you don't want to claw your eyes out reading (like the Sabres-Avs thread for the top pick, it's terribad in there). Is SK a RW or a LW? That would probably determine if he plays with Sid and Kunitz at RW or Neal and Malkin at LW.
I believe he's a LW, but with Barry Trotz, every forward plays everything.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:29 PM
glenngineer
HF Partner

I would modify it if Pitts fans would be good with it but I'd prefer Martin instead of Niskanen. Would you guys still go for it then?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:32 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I would modify it if Pitts fans would be good with it but I'd prefer Martin instead of Niskanen. Would you guys still go for it then?
definitely not

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sivek

Quote:
Martin was the team's best d-man this season, so no dice. He really bounced back strongly after a poor 2011-12 season.

Old
glenngineer
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
definitely not
So you prefer Niskanen over Martin?

Old
06-12-2013, 05:34 PM
glenngineer
HF Partner

Quote:
Martin was the team's best d-man this season, so no dice. He really bounced back strongly after a poor 2011-12 season.
That's why I wanted Martin...lol. Didn't know he had turned it around that much. Glad he did because I know he was getting quite a bit of slack.

So is Niskanen a good PMD? If not, the deal may be right on the money but Klein is not the best puck mover so if he's paired with a guy who isn't that good with the puck, I'd rather take my chances on Ekholm developing with Housley's tutoring.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:34 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Pens would move Niskanen way before Martin. Niskanen for SK straight up is fair.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:35 PM
glenngineer
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Crash View Post
Pens would move Niskanen way before Martin. Niskanen for SK straight up is fair.
Totally cool. Had to ask.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
So is Niskanen a good PMD? If not, the deal may be right on the money but Klein is not the best puck mover so if he's paired with a guy who isn't that good with the puck, I'd rather take my chances on Ekholm developing with Housley's tutoring.
he can move the puck more than adequately for his salary and role. he was best when paired with Murray on the third pairing. he's an interview that sheds some light on the pairing:

Quote:
Question: Kaleta attempted to chip and chase the puck up the right wing. Murray knocked him off the puck with a check and that allowed you to collect it and skate it out of danger. Is that by design?

Niskanen: "Ideally, with our strengths, that’s what we’d like to happen. He can take the man and I’ll swoop in and get the puck and get it going the other way. But it doesn’t always happen that way. You’ve just got to read and react. There’s going to be times where it’s the opposite where I have to create the turnover or force a bad dump or take the man and he has to retrieve the puck. It depends on what side it’s on."
Quote:
Question: Is this a classic pairing which features a stay-at-home defenseman like yourself and a guy who can take some offensive chances such as Niskanen?

Murray: "Absolutely. I don’t think he’s a very risky offensive guy which I like. But it’s no doubt when you look at us he’s more offensive than me. I don’t think anyone questions that."
http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sports...iring-04-16-13

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Sivek

Quote:

He's the sort of PMD that can get the puck up the ice and make decent outlets but not rack up many points while doing it. He doesn't lug the puck up the ice much though he is a solid skater. His shot is hard but his accuracy is quite poor.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:

Pens certainly could use a winger that has the ability to set up others and Niskanen is a good 3rd pairing d-man that is stretched when he's asked to be more than that for an extended period. Niskanen could play 2nd-pairng minutes, but he would have to be the worse of the two d-men.
You won't find a more pass first forward then Sk, which is a shame because he's got a decent shot.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:52 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

He wouldn't need to be racking up points. Playing with Klein, he would be in a shutdown role. Luckily, Klein's puck moving ability has improved over the past couple of seasons. Last year he was hung out to dry quite a bit, but that had more to do with the revolving door of D partners than his play. He's still quite the solid, even underrated, #3 defenseman.

It would be much help, though, if Klein could focus the bulk of his energy on playing to his strengths. Although it has improved, moving the puck still isn't at the top of the list of his strengths.

Klein is an exceptional skater as well. Having a partner who can also skate well and move the puck might solidify the second pair. It'd be great if we could get that done via a trade in which we only lose one piece, and a piece that won't hurt to lose.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I think SK would be best utilized with Neal, because he is pass-first as they come. I swear he'd pass back on a breakaway. Put him with one of the best pure snipers in the game and he will be effective.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:03 PM
penguins2946*

A top-6 of:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Kostitsyn-Malkin-Neal

I'd like that. It also lets us replace Niskanen with Dumoulin, which I think we can do. I'd do it.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:55 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
So you prefer Niskanen over Martin?
no i prefer martin. i was speaking for pens fans saying no way they do martin for sk.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:01 AM
domaug*

i would probably prefer the Pens trade Niskanen for a pick to clear some cap space, but i wouldn't be against Niskanen for Sergei Kostitsyn. solid deal i think.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:55 AM
PFL615

Does SK really have enough value to get a return of more than a bag of pucks?

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Kostitsyn has a lot of talent. watched him play in Montreal and the kid could play when he is focused. I would make this deal and try to squeeze a late pick from the Preds as well since SK isn't the best back checker out there

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Highrise

That proposal looks solid to me. Makes sense for both teams and is quite even value wise. Then again I was under the impression, that Nashville had some pretty good d-men in their pipeline that they could slot in next to Klein.

Highrise is offline   Reply With Quote