HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Sabres Attempting To Acquire The First Overall Pick

Old
06-13-2013, 09:59 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Crusher View Post
So many people undervaluing the potential of Varly
Well obviously. This is WhatHaveYouDoneForMeLatelyBoards.com and he sucked this year.

06-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Ice Crusher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
Well obviously. This is WhatHaveYouDoneForMeLatelyBoards.com and he sucked this year.
He wasn't extraordinary...but I would say, the defence was the main reason why he sucked this year. Giguere wasn't better neighter. Our goaltenders had no support this year. Varly has all the tools to become a top-10 goaltender in the league. And as Ivan said, we have one of the best prospect poll in the league...no need to add goalies.

Ice Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:22 AM
CowbellConray

Short Memories on Myers has really ruined this trade thread.

I would trade:
Grigorenko
two Seconds
McNabb

Quality and quantity

Grigorenko - 70 point center upside, most likely 60 point #1 Center
McNabb - top 4 Defensmen upside, small chance at Top 2. Big, Mean, and isnt a terrible skater like most Punishing Dmen are. The whole thing with Hishon is overblown because some fans are still ******** over the hit.

Plus a wealth of picks.

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowbellConray View Post
Short Memories on Myers has really ruined this trade thread.

I would trade:
Grigorenko
two Seconds
McNabb

Quality and quantity

Grigorenko - 70 point center upside, most likely 60 point #1 Center
McNabb - top 4 Defensmen upside, small chance at Top 2. Big, Mean, and isnt a terrible skater like most Punishing Dmen are. The whole thing with Hishon is overblown because some fans are still ******** over the hit.

Plus a wealth of picks.
Easy no for Colorado.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Tis' the SeaSon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
I still believe Myers is one of the best in the league, I think he bounces back huge
Good for you. Most people don't however and his contract doesn't help his ****ty play.

They keep calling out my name, I shout it down
--
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Tis' the SeaSon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCerebral1 View Post
Buffalo is probably not going to make this big a move. Some posters on both sides are expecting the sun moon and the stars. It would be nice to see the Sabres move up and acquire MacKinnon or Jones, however the cost seems outlandish.
Most fans usually believe they can get the sun, moon and stars for X player or pick and how they wouldn't settle for anything less. In reality they get one of the three and then clamor about how good of a deal they got.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Karate Johnson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
Easy no for Colorado.
Colorado will never be offered that much for the pick. If they do trade it the delusional HF fans are gonna be disappointed.

Karate Johnson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Varly was the only one keeping us competitive for the first half of this shortened season. The team gave up on him and he subsequently lost confidence as he couldn't contain the wealth of shots in tight. Someone posted stats somewhere that Varly had the highest number of shots against in tight of any goalie for a little while iirc.

Anyways, we don't want Miller, end of that story.

We don't want the package to be a bunch of prospects/picks, we need some sort of proven talent in there that is going to make our team better next season, like Jones would. What we'd be doing is trading a potential franchiser for a bag of good but not great players.

It'd be like if St. Louis traded Pietrangelo for Myers + Grigorenko + 8th two years ago before he broke out, that's the value this pick has to us, but we're not thinking "when we draft Jones he's going to be Pietrangelo game 1" we're recognizing he could be that good or better in 3-5 years and a team has to absolutely pay us enough in the event he does become that good of a player to make it worth our while dropping outside of grabbing MacK or Drouin.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:46 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Avs need to choose if one superstar potential dman is more valuable than 3 very good dmen, and a young, high potential forward. IMO, defensive depth is there main problem and one guy won't fix that. In fact, you might hurt his development by giving him too much too soon like Buffalo did with Myers.

If they come away with Pysyk + Nurse + Pulock + Armia, are they better off than if they just come away with Jones? IMO, they are.

Pysyk + Armia + 8 + 16 sets them up really well.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
It'd be like if St. Louis traded Pietrangelo for Myers + Grigorenko + 8th two years ago before he broke out, that's the value this pick has to us, but we're not thinking "when we draft Jones he's going to be Pietrangelo game 1" we're recognizing he could be that good or better in 3-5 years and a team has to absolutely pay us enough in the event he does become that good of a player to make it worth our while dropping outside of grabbing MacK or Drouin.
Fair point about Jones being a Future Pietrangelo. But on the same token, Myers has the size, reach, shot and skills to be a future Chara..... and he's a better skater. His rookie year, Myers looked special..... like he was a future Norris winner. The kid is still a puppy and could use a change in scenery like Pronger did when he was young. If Myers and Jones both reach their ceiling they will be very similar star players. Jones hasn't played a single shift in the NHL so right now he has as many question marks as Myers.

Myers, Grigorenko and 8th for Stastny and 1st is fair.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Tis' the SeaSon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Fair point about Jones being a Future Pietrangelo. But on the same token, Myers has the size, reach, shot and skills to be a future Chara..... and he's a better skater. His rookie year, Myers looked special..... like he was a future Norris winner. The kid is still a puppy and could use a change in scenery like Pronger did when he was young. If Myers and Jones both reach their ceiling they will be very similar star players. Jones hasn't played a single shift in the NHL so right now he has as many question marks as Myers.

Disagree. Despite Stastnys contract and Myers contract, I think the 16th needs to be added.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:53 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Varly was the only one keeping us competitive for the first half of this shortened season. The team gave up on him and he subsequently lost confidence as he couldn't contain the wealth of shots in tight. Someone posted stats somewhere that Varly had the highest number of shots against in tight of any goalie for a little while iirc.

Anyways, we don't want Miller, end of that story.

We don't want the package to be a bunch of prospects/picks, we need some sort of proven talent in there that is going to make our team better next season, like Jones would. What we'd be doing is trading a potential franchiser for a bag of good but not great players.

No it's not. St. Louis has defensive depth. Colorado doesn't.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Petes2424

Everyone needs to just remember threads like this next year when the "Colorado is trying to acquire the #1 pick" thread appears and fans are offering O'Reilly, Jones and 2 #1 picks for that number 1 pick..

Once again people.. This draft has some really good players but there is no Lemieux, Crosby or Lindros at the top of this draft.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Semyon Says
grocery stick

vCash: 527
Only way I would like to trade this pick is for Toews or Crosby(i know that would never happen) otherwise I hope Colorado keeps it.

Semyon Says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Everyone needs to just remember threads like this next year when the "Colorado is trying to acquire the #1 pick" thread appears and fans are offering O'Reilly, Jones and 2 #1 picks for that number 1 pick..

Once again people.. This draft has some really good players but there is no Lemieux, Crosby or Lindros at the top of this draft.
That is true. But again, Colorado has no obligation of trading the pick neighter. Roy said trading outside of the top-3 would take an offer they can't refuse. And still there, I don't see a major piece from BUF to make me accept this deal.

Ice Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:03 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
No, it absolutely isn't. Myers/Grigorenko + 8 isn't enough to get #1 and Stastny has more value than Grigorenko/Myers

Quote:
That's why in my setup I had the Sabres going to #4/5 first and then giving that, #16 and Pysyk, McCabe or McNabb.

McNabb and Pysyk are ready to step into the league and have shown good things in their exposure so far (20-25 games each). I don't think it's unreasonable to say that either of them would make as much NHL impact **NEXT YEAR** as Jones would. McCabe is slightly less ready, but still a solid prospect.

In addition by only dropping to 4/5 they can still pick up Nurse who has a ceiling that isn't that far below Jones and #16 is just nice to have for depth at whatever position you want.

Last edited by hatterson: 06-13-2013 at 11:10 AM.
hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:06 AM
ranold26
Registered Loser

8 and 16 doesn't cut it. Something nice has to go with those picks.

Yeah I know its NHL and not NFL, but food for thought...
NFL pick values are: 1st(3000), 8th(1400) and 16th(1000)

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Avs need to choose if one superstar potential dman is more valuable than 3 very good dmen, and a young, high potential forward. IMO, defensive depth is there main problem and one guy won't fix that. In fact, you might hurt his development by giving him too much too soon like Buffalo did with Myers.

If they come away with Pysyk + Nurse + Pulock + Armia, are they better off than if they just come away with Jones? IMO, they are.

Pysyk + Armia + 8 + 16 sets them up really well.
I'd rather have a Pietrangelo on my blueline than two second pairing defensemen. The Avs also have Barrie, Elliott and Siemens coming up through the ranks.

Quote:

Too bad he doesn't have Chara's heart, decision making ability or his nasty edge. Compairing Myers to Chara and Pronger makes no sense whatsoever because he plays nothing like those two play.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:08 AM
stokes84

Quote:
No, it absolutely isn't. Myers/Grigorenko + 8 isn't enough to get #1 and Stastny has more value than Grigorenko/Myers

That's why in my setup I had the Sabres going to #4/5 first and then giving that, #16 and Pysyk, McCabe or McNabb.

McNabb and Pysyk are ready to step into the league and have shown good things in their exposure so far (20-25 games each). I don't think it's unreasonable to say that either of them would make as much NHL impact **NEXT YEAR** as Jones would. Pysyk is slightly less ready, but still a solid prospect.

In addition by only dropping to 4/5 they can still pick up Nurse who has a ceiling that isn't that far below Jones and #16 is just nice to have for depth at whatever position you want.
Pysyk is 100% ready. He was arguably our best defenseman last year at the end. He's way ahead of McNabb and will be top 4 next year.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:09 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
Good for you. Most people don't however and his contract doesn't help his ****ty play.
Hmm...That sure would explain why fans of at least 15 different teams have made a "Myers to my team!" thread.

Frankly, if Myers bounces back, him for MacKinnon 1-for-1 is likely fair or maybe even tipped in Colorado's favor. MacKinnon isn't a generational talent. Obviously the Avs take some risk on Myers, but that so many Avs fans (who clearly don't ever even watch him) think 3-4 first round picks need to be added is

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:10 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Pysyk is 100% ready. He was arguably our best defenseman last year at the end. He's way ahead of McNabb and will be top 4 next year.
Sorry, I meant McCabe. I went back and edited it.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Jame
Dream '16

I dont know why people make the Chara comparison.... the proper "Myers reaches his potential" comparison is Neidermayer with an extra 7 inches and an insane reach.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:11 AM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Exactly like Myers did and yet he seems to have infinite value on here. He isn't even a good starting point for this years #1 overall as far as I'm concerned.

AMDZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:11 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I'd rather have a Pietrangelo on my blueline than two second pairing defensemen. The Avs also have Barrie, Elliott and Siemens coming up through the ranks.

Too bad he doesn't have Chara's heart, decision making ability or his nasty edge. Compairing Myers to Chara and Pronger makes no sense whatsoever because he plays nothing like those two play.
Three potential 1st pairing players. Director of Central Scouting said Nurse will be just as good as Jones, he just isn't as NHL ready.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Tis' the SeaSon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Hmm...That sure would explain why fans of at least 15 different teams have made a "Myers to my team!" thread.

Frankly, if Myers bounces back, him for MacKinnon 1-for-1 is likely fair or maybe even tipped in Colorado's favor. MacKinnon isn't a generational talent. Obviously the Avs take some risk on Myers, but that so many Avs fans (who clearly don't ever even watch him) think 3-4 first round picks need to be added is
Because he is young and HF has a weird obsession with young players and reclamation projects who they think their team can get for cheap.