HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 161: Evans vs Henderson

Old
06-16-2013, 08:47 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Awful card.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:27 AM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
Really happy the Ohio boy Miocic won.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Is anyone really shocked that Shields got yet another undeserved win? Oof. Cannot stand watching him fight. Probably my least favorite fighter in the UFC. One of my least favorite fighters in all of MMA, really.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Really happy the Ohio boy Miocic won.
Definitely. He looked fantastic. I was really bummed about him having to fight Nelson at this stage of his career, coming off the beating he took against Struve. He did exactly what Struve did to him, though - established his reach advantage and then just picked his opponent apart. If that was most any other fighter he would have gotten a finish.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Just read some tweets from MMA media and Winnipeg is not getting favourable reviews.
it was a pretty good event overall. I had a great time. majority of decisions but that's expected. some good technical work on the mats. a lot of clinching. I think the shields fight sucked out the atmosphere leading into the main card. berry, country, delorme and suga vs hendo brought the crowd to their feet. brief thoughts as I head back home.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Jasper

vCash: 707
I'm not really a fan of Shields but I thought he won the fight based on the fact that he was at least trying to do more than Woodley. Woodley seemed only to be trying to not get taken down & subbed.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:51 PM
m9

Not a great show tonight for sure..

-Thought Rashad won, and actually thought he looked pretty good in there. He isn't always going to put on crowd-pleasing fights, but he's a top-level guy and if that was a five-round fight I have little question there would any doubt who the better fighter was. Not sure what will be next for him, Mousasi would make sense to me.

-Miocic looked great. I started thinking about the fight earlier this week and wondered if he would simply be able to outbox Nelson for 15 minutes and use his speed without getting clocked. No idea that Nelson would look so slow though, and a few minutes into the first round it was very obvious that Miocic was going to roll to a fairly easy win. Miocic/Cormier has to be a possibility, however I think Miocic/Werdum would be fun as well.

-Great combo by Jordan to take out Barry. This is the kind of stuff people got excited about when Jordan was coming through the ranks. Hopefully Barry will bounce back, I'm a fan.

-Jimmo, Pokrajac, Woodley, Shields.. there were no winners with any of those guys. You're going to see Jimmo and Shields get REALLY tough fights next time out, that you can guarantee that Dana wouldn't mind either getting put on their toes a bit. Jimmo v Thiago Silva would make sense to me, and Shields v Erick Silva might work.

-I found the Davis/Sexton fight really, really bad to watch. When women's MMA is bad it can look really sloppy. I still question the skill level of some of these girls and when you mix that with zero power it is not a recipe for a good fight.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Not a great event. We actually went to BP pretty early this time because we wanted to make sure we didn't miss the Shields/Woodley fight. Bad idea.

The main event was nothing special. Rashad did what he needed to do but Hendo looked pretty bad once again. It's great when he lands the big punch and finishes the fight but if he doesn't, it isn't pretty. He has completely abandoned his wrestling and gets tired very early on in his fights.

As for Rashad, the Mousasi fight makes sense but I thought it was pretty funny how he's the guy Rashad brought up as well. Unless Mousasi has really improved his takedown defense, Rashad knows he'll take him down over and over again without any issues.

I don't know if Miocic was that good or if Nelson was just that bad but either way, big win for Miocic. Nelson had nothing going for him in the fight and like Hendo, he was just looking for the one big punch but ended up gassing out after one round. I like watching Nelson so hopefully he'll be back but he gambled and lost big time last night.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 06:29 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Not a great show tonight for sure..
-Miocic looked great. I started thinking about the fight earlier this week and wondered if he would simply be able to outbox Nelson for 15 minutes and use his speed without getting clocked. No idea that Nelson would look so slow though, and a few minutes into the first round it was very obvious that Miocic was going to roll to a fairly easy win. Miocic/Cormier has to be a possibility, however I think Miocic/Werdum would be fun as well.

-I found the Davis/Sexton fight really, really bad to watch. When women's MMA is bad it can look really sloppy. I still question the skill level of some of these girls and when you mix that with zero power it is not a recipe for a good fight.
-Miocic should face a top 5 guy here soon, just not Werdum. Werdum deserves the next shot regardless who wins between Cain/JDS. Idk if Werdum would want a long layoff again.

-Women's MMA is nothing but a slop face. They're really good at 1 thing and are terrible at everything else it seems. Rhonda isn't an exception either. She's got a 1 trick pony and her striking is terrible. Women's MMA is just bad.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:10 PM
BGDDYKWL

I'm not so sure about Miocic getting a top 5 guy just yet. That Struve beating is still pretty fresh in my mind. That is a very bad blemish for a guy looking for what would essentially be a number one contender fight. Werdum would beat him easily and Cormier would slaughter him. I think a fight between him and Jordan could work. Maybe Bigfoot if you really wanna test him, but I don't see that going well for him either.

And yeah, the women's fight was extremely sloppy. The Tate/Zingano fight was entertaining, but as mentioned, this one really looked bad. Alexis holds on to a triangle that's clearly not there for several minutes. Just looked very amateurish. I'd love to see a girl emerge as a serious threat to Ronda, but I just don't see it happening.

I also found it very funny that Rashad called out Mousasi. You just beat the number 3-4 guy at LHW, and you're calling out a guy who's never beaten a top 10 fighter at LHW, ever. Rashad hasn't been able to take anyone down lately so I'm sure he would love to fight Mousasi. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mousasi does not deserve top 5 guys until he beats a top 10 guy. If he stays at 205 him and Thiago Silva would be good.

As for who the better fighter is between Rashad and Hendo, and Rashad proving it if it went 5, I don't agree with that at all. Rashad would've coasted to a decision, but that doesn't tell me he's the better fighter, it tells me he simply has better cardio. Hendo is the better fighter. That's why I personally am not a huge fan of all these 5 round fights. I don't want to see a bunch of battles of attrition. When both guys were fresh Hendo clearly got the better of the two.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
As for who the better fighter is between Rashad and Hendo, and Rashad proving it if it went 5, I don't agree with that at all. Rashad would've coasted to a decision, but that doesn't tell me he's the better fighter, it tells me he simply has better cardio. Hendo is the better fighter. That's why I personally am not a huge fan of all these 5 round fights. I don't want to see a bunch of battles of attrition. When both guys were fresh Hendo clearly got the better of the two.
Shouldn't cardio be a factor in determining who the better fighter is? Landing a big punch doesn't make you better. Guys like Hendo, Shogun, Rampage, etc get tired after one round now. That's why they're not top ranked fighters anymore and they'll never be champions again. You can throw Overeem and Nelson in there as well.

Hendo dropped Rashad in the first round and didn't do much after that.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
found the Davis/Sexton fight really, really bad to watch. When women's MMA is bad it can look really sloppy. I still question the skill level of some of these girls and when you mix that with zero power it is not a recipe for a good fight.
Very disappointing performance, particularly by Davis. Her fight with Kaufman in Columbus was great and had the fans yelling "fight like the women" during a number of the men's fights. Then after that a submission of the night and fight of the night in her two fights with Invicta.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 03:51 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Shouldn't cardio be a factor in determining who the better fighter is? Landing a big punch doesn't make you better. Guys like Hendo, Shogun, Rampage, etc get tired after one round now. That's why they're not top ranked fighters anymore and they'll never be champions again. You can throw Overeem and Nelson in there as well.

Hendo dropped Rashad in the first round and didn't do much after that.
This gets tricky. Obviously winning is what ultimately matters, but what happens when both guys are relatively fresh matters to me. Hendo beat the hell out of Shogun for 3 rounds. Then Shogun took over once Hendo was exhausted. That's not a wash to me. That showed me that on that night Hendo was much better. If I beat you when we're fresh, and you beat me when I'm tired, IMO I'm the better fighter. Needless to say this is why I am not a fan of 5 round fights at all. Cardio is obviously a tool that makes up a fighter's skillset, but I think a better fighter can lose because of poor cardio. He's still the better fighter IMO.

Now the Hendo-Rashad fight was very close. I certainly don't think Hendo got robbed or anything like that. Hendo dropped Rashad and obviously won the first, and Rashad obviously took over in the third and clearly won that round. I gave the second to Hendo because of damage. Those two elbows hurt Rashad and busted him open. Rashad may have been a little more active, but activity should not be more important than damage.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:19 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
This gets tricky. Obviously winning is what ultimately matters, but what happens when both guys are relatively fresh matters to me. Hendo beat the hell out of Shogun for 3 rounds. Then Shogun took over once Hendo was exhausted. That's not a wash to me. That showed me that on that night Hendo was much better. If I beat you when we're fresh, and you beat me when I'm tired, IMO I'm the better fighter. Needless to say this is why I am not a fan of 5 round fights at all. Cardio is obviously a tool that makes up a fighter's skillset, but I think a better fighter can lose because of poor cardio. He's still the better fighter IMO.

Now the Hendo-Rashad fight was very close. I certainly don't think Hendo got robbed or anything like that. Hendo dropped Rashad and obviously won the first, and Rashad obviously took over in the third and clearly won that round. I gave the second to Hendo because of damage. Those two elbows hurt Rashad and busted him open. Rashad may have been a little more active, but activity should not be more important than damage.
Disagree ... this also affects scoring in a three round fight.

If you beat me up for two rounds, but I kick your ass in the third and the fight ends with me in mount, ground-and-pounding you, doesn't that suggest you didn't really beat me up that badly? When JDS lumped up Carwin, Carwin couldn't come back in round three. When Carwin lumped up Brock, Brock could. That's not random ... that's Carwin's strategy, JDS's technique and Brock's toughness.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on Rashad/Henderson, but Rashad looked better at the end, and it matters who looks better the last few minutes. I'm a Henderson fan, but I would have given that fight to Rashad.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Captain_Cunney

Painful card to watch.

Miocic was the highlight for me, his hands were great & i think he used a cautious approach due to who he was fighting. If he is in there with anyone with a lesser chin I think we see him press for the finish.

I'm a Roy fan but he needs to go back to his roots & start using his ground game, the big bombs are to easy to avoid when not mixing up the attack.

You have to think country stays away from short notice fights going forward, he tipped the scale near the limit on Friday, that wasn't a good sign. I think he was down to 240/50 in his last couple fights. Throwing nothing but bombs doesn't help.

Props to jimmo for no robot dance and an apology to the brass. He had igor rocked but as soon as he didn't put him away he went very cautious, similar to his MFC days. I'm confident he'll come back aggressive in his next fight out. I'd like to see him fight Jimmy Manawa next, sliva would be fun but he needs another win before a guy like that.

Rashad looked good imo, even though I can't stand the guy. Especially impressed with his aggression in the 3rd & his willingness to exchange in the clinch with hendo.

I don't think we see him scrap mossassi unless it's down at mw, everything gegard has said lately points to the drop. The ufc 205ers are much bigger than dream/sf guys, he'll do well to make the drop.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:46 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
Glad to see Stipe back on track, though.

I'll have to rewatch the Struve fight, though. From my memory, Stipe was controlling that fight until the third, when Struve used his reach advantage, just like Miocic did against Roy.

The card was disappointing, but the fighters are to blame, not the UFC. Roy, Woodley, Pierson, JIMMO, Igor, Davis, ~Hendo... these guys looked like CRAP.

jw2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post

I'll have to rewatch the Struve fight, though. From my memory, Stipe was controlling that fight until the third, when Struve used his reach advantage, just like Miocic did against Roy.
Stipe seemed to gas early in the 2nd and Struve eventually got in some monster shots to finish. Going off memory, Stipe had the clear advantage in the first round.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 03:24 PM
jw2

vCash: 643
AH, that's right. For some reason I thought it ended in the 3rd, and couldn't remember the 2nd rd. After reading that, I looked it up. Makes more sense, and right along with what I vaguely remembered.

jw2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 04:20 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post

The card was disappointing, but the fighters are to blame, not the UFC. Roy, Woodley, Pierson, JIMMO, Igor, Davis, ~Hendo... these guys looked like CRAP.
UFC gets some blame. Woodley v Shields was likely going be bad.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote