HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nino

Old
05-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Yashin for President

vCash: 500
Nino

Watched him today VS USA. The kid looks like hes on a mission. Id be very surprised if he isnt on the opening day lineup come October with the Isles. I know its not the best competition but Nino has really been a force with Switzerland.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:01 AM
coachdny

Im watching the repaly right now on NBC Sports, all i can say he looks like a beast, did he get bigger because he really stands out. Hitting everything in site and going to the net HARD... totally different player than last year.

coachdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:10 AM
lacunacoil777

Either Nino makes the Islanders or he is traded by november. A GM doesnt like to be told my a agent what to do but at this point its only fair that the isles make calls around the league and see if anyone thinks he is a NHL player. He was drafted and had threr years go by after the draft. Its not a unfair request to be traded if isles can fi d a team who would put him in the NHL. That is of course the goal of a hockey player.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Nino has a habit of coming up huge in these kind of tournaments.. Hell I still think if he didnt have such a strong juniors he wouldn't have been drafted as high.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:40 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacunacoil777 View Post
Either Nino makes the Islanders or he is traded by november. A GM doesnt like to be told my a agent what to do but at this point its only fair that the isles make calls around the league and see if anyone thinks he is a NHL player. He was drafted and had threr years go by after the draft. Its not a unfair request to be traded if isles can fi d a team who would put him in the NHL. That is of course the goal of a hockey player.
I guess Phoenix has to try and trade Gormley then. After all, he was drafted the same year and there might have been some team that would have played him in the NHL this season. See how absurd the argument sounds when you change the name to a player whose agent isn't grandstanding in the media? If Nino's performance in this tournament shows one thing, it's that playing in the AHL did wonders for his game and he was exactly where he should have been this season. And if the Isles made one mistake with Nino, it wasn't holding him back from the NHL, it was making him an NHL player too soon. That was the wasted season, not this past one.

He'll get his chance to crack the lineup in camp, and as long as he doesn't take anything for granted, he should have an excellent chance at grabbing a spot.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 01:40 AM
lacunacoil777

Again, if he doesn't make the team, and thinks he is a NHL player why should he make 50 grand a year playing in the AHL? Im not someone who believes in the whole indentured servent philosophy. I believe in the free market. If someone wants TO PAY me a million dollars a year to do accountant work, why should I be forced to work for my current job making $50 thousand a year? Just cause my current owner doesn't think im as good at my job as another one? I don't even like NIno the hockey player. I just think three years after junior is enough time to give the NHL team of your life. Not every hockey player stays healthy till 32 years old. His career can end any shift.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:51 AM
swisdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Nino has a habit of coming up huge in these kind of tournaments.. Hell I still think if he didnt have such a strong juniors he wouldn't have been drafted as high.
Not really... The last two World Championships, he was not impressive at all. This year, it's another story! I saw all Switzerland games and i can assure Niederreiter has a huge improvement in all aspects. And yes, it's a beast, he constantly bothers defensemen in the slot, plays a very great defensive game and play his role of sniper like he must do. And his skating is much better. The way he plays now makes him a complete NHL player.

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 03:40 AM
kuwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisdan View Post
Not really... The last two World Championships, he was not impressive at all. This year, it's another story! I saw all Switzerland games and i can assure Niederreiter has a huge improvement in all aspects. And yes, it's a beast, he constantly bothers defensemen in the slot, plays a very great defensive game and play his role of sniper like he must do. And his skating is much better. The way he plays now makes him a complete NHL player.
Not sure about this. I still think his decisions with puck should improve a bit and his passes are often really wild. Also because of that and his acceleration I don't really like his transitional game. Yeah, he is bigger, tenacious, he loves to hit and his stickwork on forecheck looks good to me too. However it seems that he does not like beeing hit and could cause some retaliatory penalties. Nevertheless i am pleased with his progress and with some further improvements he could be a real force. Is he ready for top 6 duty in the NHL now? Not entirely sure...

OT : On the other hand Roman Josi is a fantastic player with really no glaring holes in his game...

Last edited by kuwo: 05-19-2013 at 03:45 AM.
kuwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:22 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Again, if he doesn't make the team, and thinks he is a NHL player why should he make 50 grand a year playing in the AHL? Im not someone who believes in the whole indentured servent philosophy. I believe in the free market. If someone wants TO PAY me a million dollars a year to do accountant work, why should I be forced to work for my current job making $50 thousand a year? Just cause my current owner doesn't think im as good at my job as another one? I don't even like NIno the hockey player. I just think three years after junior is enough time to give the NHL team of your life. Not every hockey player stays healthy till 32 years old. His career can end any shift.
he's isn't making 50 grand in the ahl...its 10 percent of his pro contract... so whats that somewhere around 200k,,,, hardly chump change..also not to be blunt but you sound like his agent...come into to camp and earn a spot..its their for nino..its up to him to grab it

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:56 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
he's isn't making 50 grand in the ahl...its 10 percent of his pro contract... so whats that somewhere around 200k,,,, hardly chump change..also not to be blunt but you sound like his agent...come into to camp and earn a spot..its their for nino..its up to him to grab it
A freaking men!

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:50 AM
jonas2244

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
he's isn't making 50 grand in the ahl...its 10 percent of his pro contract... so whats that somewhere around 200k,,,,
67'500 $

http://www.capgeek.com/player/1887

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 07:52 AM
N Ireland Nets Fan

One thing is for sure, Nino looks a much better player after a full year in the AHL.

I think he could be ready to be a top 6 forward for us next season. He looks much bigger and imposing around the ice. Obviously camp will sort out the men from the boys but I've been delighted in his progress and his play in the world champs.

Lets hope he keeps improving because if he does we've got ourselves a very good player. Besides, it usually takes power forwards quite some time to develop, just like goalies and defensemen.

N Ireland Nets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:37 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:

According to a whiny article I recently read, Snow got calls from 5 teams asking about trading for Nino, including Anaheim. Snow wasn't looking to trade him.

Were the offers too low in Snow's opinion? Or did Snow look at 6'2 Nino's potential and cheap ELC, then decide he wasn't moving him till he had another chance on the NYI roster?

The writer came across like a fanboy saying A) he thinks the Isles won't give Nino a genuine chance to make the team next season B) Nino should be on Tavares line and C) the only ones who criticized Nino + his agent, came only from " not relevant circles without any knowledge about the nature and work in North American sports business." I guess that will be a surprise to McKenzie and Puck Daddy, both of whom wrote in support of Snow's actions.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:39 AM
msv957

Nino was listed at 6'2 205 lbs during his draft.

He is still listed on many sites at the same size and weight.

It seems he didn't get bigger at all.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:40 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
When Nino's union was fighting for the new cba,I don't recall Nino or any other nhler, insisting on a term limit for ahl yrs.
Nino struggled as a 19 yr old nhler, was sent to the ahl for a full season and will get another chance to win an nhl job in Sept.

Oh, he's really been abused, made to suffer<sarcasm>.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 05-19-2013 at 09:57 AM.
CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Sverra
Plumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post

It's not common that you still growth a lot when you're 18,... and I think 6'2 is a good size.
At the draft his size and weight were considered as NHL ready
btw. ESPN has him 201 lbs at the draft and 205 lbs now. Makes 4 lbs of pure gain of muscle

Sverra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:05 AM
PK Cronin
Bailey Fan Club Prez

Quote:
Because he signed a deal, that's why.

Quote:

He's probably more fit and stronger, even if he is the same weight.

He needs to be given a real look for top 6 minutes, but if he doesn't crack the top 6 needs to go back to BP.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:43 AM
scott99

When is the Gold Medal game ? I wanna watch Nino.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:51 AM
JetsMetsIsles

Nino has too cool of a name not be an Islander. He always had the talent he just came up way too young and too green. With hopefully Aucoin and Boyes gone next season Nino can take one of their spots. Nelson and Nino should be able to win spots and maybe even Strome. I'd still like us to sign a legit first line winger.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Poliz24

If Nino is really looking THAT good then I would say lets put him on the big club and lets see how he plays. If at that point we still haven't acquired a winger to play next to JT then lets see how he plays with JT and maybe our problem of finding a guy to play with Jt is solved... heck we freakin used a first rounder on him.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:25 PM
mack809f

Nino is a big game player.

I hope I get the chance to see him prove that with the Isles. Win Gold, Nino!

mack809f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:44 PM
A Pointed Stick
Simple Answer

vCash: 250
Quote:

There are guys in their 30s with their draft stats on espn, so what does that tell you? For the guys who are small they usually inflate the stats too. I wouldn't read into it. Verbeek was under 6' tall and he played bigger than many with an extra 4 to 6 inches on him. It really does come down to the player. For Nino to stick, no matter how big or small he is, his game and what the Isles expect from him will mean he has to play a good physical game. He will either do this or he will fail. It is that simple, but it is also naive of anyone to think he will automatically be a true first line wing in 1-3 years. Kane (WPG) did it, but Nino is not Kane. His first year up pretty much removed all doubt from my head that he would take a more normal development period to reach first line material.

Next year? I am all for hearing from people why they think it WILL happen. I doubt it, but that is just based on years and years of experience watching other guys do what he does mature into their roles.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
On the first point...because players can't fight tooth and nail during the lockout for owners "honoring contracts" and then decide that doesn't apply to them as well...at least if they want to be taken seriously.

On the second point, three seasons after being drafted, Nino Niederreiter has played considerably more NHL games than Bobby Ryan -- a second overall pick -- did at the same point in his career. Nino didn't spend three years after junior outside the NHL...he made an NHL salary for one of those three seasons. Clearly it didn't work out well for him or the team, so he was sent down to develop further. I'm not seeing where the grave injustice is. Players develop at different rates...you can't really just throw out an arbitrary number (3 years) and say every player must be in the NHL by then. They're not cakes baking in the oven, ready when the timer goes off.

I think teams have their reasons for bringing players along at the rate they do, and these teams invest a lot of time and resources into their draft picks...particularly their high first rounders. Having them invest all of that time and those resources just to have some other team, that has invested nothing, swoop in at the 11th hour to poach the player for the purpose of hurrying them into the NHL doesn't sound like the best system to me. Seems like that'd lead to a lot more ruined early careers from rushed players...either due to the teams doing the poaching or by the teams doing the drafting acting defensively.

I think teams want their draft picks to succeed as much as the players themselves want it. There's nothing nefarious going on where Nino is being held back because of some sinister scheme to deny him his NHL salary. I'd argue that the previous model of rushing players for cost savings and salary cap reasons is worse than making sure he's as ready as he can be for the NHL. I do like Nino as a hockey player. Having watched him a lot this past season, I'm thrilled the Isles have someone with his skill set in the system. He'll get his chance...but it should be on the right timeline, I think, rather than one set by an attention-seeking agent.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 01:46 PM
OlTimeHockey

When he's ready, he'll be up. If you want him up sooner, you don't want him ready....you want a professional team to be a developmental organization or don't want to make the effort to watch Bridgeport simulcasts online.

He'll be an Islander, but he has to finish developing, hit everything, TAKE hits, shoot better, pass better, play solid defense and be solid in o-zone and d-zone plays.

Like an NHL'er.

And then he'll be an NHL'er.

And on LI. Easy formula.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:55 PM
lacunacoil777

Well my personal opinion is he shouldnt be on The Isles top three lines. He isnt good enough. Making or missing the playoffs often comes down to 2 wins or less. I say if a team really wants him and offers something worthwhile you unload him. Let the next team deal with him. Top 10 picks feel entilted to NHL jobs. I wouldnt want him playing another year in bridgeport unhappy. Thats not good for the islanders.