HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

It's a Game 7 for all the marbles...

View Poll Results: Who do you take in their PRIME in a Game 7 for $10,000,000
Bobby Clarke 13 27.08%
Joe Sakic 28 58.33%
Sidney Crosby 7 14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

vCash: 500
It's a Game 7 for all the marbles...

Let's say it's a Game 7 and there's $10,000,000 on the line for you if you win. Which player do you take (in their PRIME) in that game?

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:25 AM
JaymzB

Out of the choices listed, I'd take Clarke. While he may not score, it's also very likely that the other teams top line doesn't either.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
Out of the choices listed, I'd take Clarke. While he may not score, it's also very likely that the other teams top line doesn't either.
I sure think skill, leadership, two-way play, desire, will to win, hatred of losing, etc. would all be huge factors here. At least if it's MY $10,000,000

Old
06-13-2013, 11:34 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Poor Crosby with the timing of this poll.

I think Sakic was the most "clutch" of these three.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:38 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Yeah, the timing doesn't help Crosby here at all. Not to mention the age factor -- Sakic was older in 1996 than Crosby is now.

I guess I'd take Clarke here. In a Game 7 it's practically a cage match in the most important areas of the ice.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:42 AM
unknown33

How does my team and the other finalist look like? Or is it 'random'?

unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown33 View Post
How does my team and the other finalist look like? Or is it 'random'?
Random. This is about, who is "your guy" that you think could get you the money.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Boom Boom Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Poor Crosby with the timing of this poll.

I think Sakic was the most "clutch" of these three.
Really? More clutch than Clarke?

I take Clarke, I didn't have to even think about it. This guy could shut down beasts like Gilbert Perrault all the while setting up some sweet goals when it counted the most.

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

Honestly it's tough, but I think I would go with Sakic slightly over Clarke and Crosby.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:21 PM
OrrNumber4

Some of Clarke's number are absolutely astonishing, especially given the era he played in. Really a great plus-minus and estimated R-on/off numbers for a player who great but not extraordinary offensively.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:31 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Bear View Post
Really? More clutch than Clarke?

I take Clarke, I didn't have to even think about it. This guy could shut down beasts like Gilbert Perrault all the while setting up some sweet goals when it counted the most.
Absolutely. Sakic's 1996 is one of the best playoff runs of all-time and his 2001 is one of the best non-Smythe winning performances of all time. Most playoff OT goals of all-time. Add in the 2002 Olympic MVP and I think you have one of the best big game player's of all time.

Clarke didn't lead his team in playoff scoring either year they won the Cup.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:32 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Some of Clarke's number are absolutely astonishing, especially given the era he played in. Really a great plus-minus and estimated R-on/off numbers for a player who great but not extraordinary offensively.
All those plus/minus and R-on / R-off numbers we have are for the regular season

Old
06-13-2013, 01:12 PM
jkrx

Sakic

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Clarke... he'd do anything and everything he could to win me my money.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Hmm, I'd have to go with Sakic. The dude is a solid rock of production and getting it done when it matters.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:12 PM
BraveCanadian

Sakic.

Easy choice I might add.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Regal

I'll go with Sakic. I know it's a bad time for Crosby, but he seems to have a bit of a problem with getting frustrated when things aren't going his way. I like Sakic's calm, cool demeanor through a game 7. While Clarke's numbers are great as well, I don't think he was as naturally talented as the other two. He had a tremendous will to win, but in the playoffs that edge in somewhat negated and I think that might be why his numbers tend to drop in the post season. As well, I would be worried about him playing too far on the edge, and potentially costing the team with undisciplined play, something I wouldn't worry about with Sakic.

I also like the fact that Sakic's a better natural goalscorer than the other two. Clarke was a considerably worse goalscorer, and while Crosby has at times been on the same level, he's a bit more of an opportunistic scorer around the net. Sometimes games come down to that one goal, and I would rather put my money in the hands of the guy who's more likely to finish it off himself than the guys who are going to rely more on others to finish the play for them.

Regal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Big Phil

Sakic for me. Two of the players have actually played in a Game 7 in the Cup final and that was Crosby and Sakic. Crosby left he game in the 2nd period after that collision and Sakic had two points in 2001 over the Devils. We all know what Crosby did in 2010 with the Olympics, but with Sakic he ensured the game was out of reach with each passing moment. 4 points in possibly the most important game in his life (2002 Gold medal game), man, that's clutch.

It isn't as if Crosby hasn't had a good Game 7. 2009 against Washington comes to mind. But he's had his share of poor performances because it seems easy to throw him off his game and get him frustrated. You didn't see that with Sakic. What he did in 1996 and 2001 is legendary.

Clarke to me lags a bit behind all-time greats when it comes to playoff performances. Yes I know his value didn't always show up just on the scoresheet. This we know. Clarke could beat you in many ways. But in the two Cups he won Bernie Parent was the Conn Smythe winner. Clarke wasn't the leading scorer in either of the Cup wins either. His overall stat line is a little underwhelming for a player of his stature. Granted he would break someone's ankle to win a game but he wasn't among Canada's best players during the 1976 Canada Cup either, even though he captained the team. So while some people might go with Clarke, the truth is Sakic had more moments in his career where I would say he was more directly responsible for a playoff win.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:16 PM
vadim sharifijanov

crosby could potentially make the biggest difference.

sakic is most likely to make a big difference.

clark would do the most (i.e., anything) to make a big difference.

if it's some ungodly amount of money on the line, it's just money. i'll stay classy and take my chances with sakic. but if it's something more dire like aliens are invading the planet and we're playing a game against them for the future of the human race, i go with clarke.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Boom Boom Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
if it's something more dire like aliens are invading the planet and we're playing a game against them for the future of the human race, i go with clarke.
exactly. Clarke >>>> Martians & AINEC

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Taylor View Post
Honestly it's tough, but I think I would go with Sakic slightly over Clarke and Crosby.
It's a tough one for me too as Clarke was my favorite player growing up for a time but to me it's Sid, he hits his prime younger and arguably with less help than the other 2 players.

The timing of the last series with Boston doesn't help his case though but I really don't think he was 100% and did either of the other two players have to deal with the muggings that took place this spring?

Note: I also wonder how Foppa would fare if he was added to this poll?

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:03 PM
DisgruntledGoat

I'm going to go with Sakic. I considered Clarke, and I appreciate everything he brings to the game, but its Sakic. There was just too many times where he was the difference-maker.

The fourth goal in the 2002 Olympics is about as clutch a play as I've seen. He could have slowed down and swung wide and made it a two-on-one with Shanahan, who was coming up right behind him. But instead he put his head down and decided: I'm getting that puck and burying it.

The answer may be Crosby at some point, but I don't think he's there just yet.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
It's a tough one for me too as Clarke was my favorite player growing up for a time but to me it's Sid, he hits his prime younger and arguably with less help than the other 2 players.

The timing of the last series with Boston doesn't help his case though but I really don't think he was 100% and did either of the other two players have to deal with the muggings that took place this spring?

Note: I also wonder how Foppa would fare if he was added to this poll?
How was Crosby not 100%? He had 15 in the first 10 games of the playoffs. When he went up against a team that can play defense and has good goaltending he got shut down.

Voted for Sakic.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Clarke, he'll hack and chop the other two and get you that important goal as well.
If the rules are being called then I'll go with Gentleman Joe.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
How was Crosby not 100%? He had 15 in the first 10 games of the playoffs. When he went up against a team that can play defense and has good goaltending he got shut down.

Voted for Sakic.
He lost weight with his most recent injury, I doubt he was at full strength or would have returned if it wasn't the playoffs.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote