HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Streit signs with PHI (4 years, $5.25M per)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2013, 07:33 AM
  #551
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Anything more than 3M per for Clowe is an overpayment as far as I am concerned and I think this team needs him.
I don't know, we shouldn't forget that we will not pay a player, nor will a players salary count against the cap, is the player is injured. If we sign Ryane Clowe to a 4 year 4m contract, and his career is over after 40 games, we can forget about him save for our sumer cap and we will not save up cap space to the same extent.

I mean, Marc Savard has been on Boston's cap at 5m per all these years, and he is still signed to 2016-2017. It doesn't seem to hurt him. It doesn't have to be black & white, and Clowe could be on and off and what not, loose his game completely but still show up for camp and what not. I am not saying that there isn't a risk.

But Ryane Clowe is not Chris Pronger. There is a distinct diffrence between a +35 contract and the rest.

My point is just, we don't sign Clowe to an in case he is injured contarct, we sign and pay him what he should make if he is healthy, and if he is hurt he goes on LTIR and is of our cap more or less.

Ola is online now  
Old
06-17-2013, 07:47 AM
  #552
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Ola, healthy and LTIR are two extreme ends of the spectrum. What about the most probable scenario: Clowe gets banged up, ages like an avocado, but is still able to pass a physical.

Crease is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 07:53 AM
  #553
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Ola, healthy and LTIR are two extreme ends of the spectrum. What about the most probable scenario: Clowe gets banged up, ages like an avocado, but is still able to pass a physical.
I wouldn't call that a probably scenario. The probable scenario is that he is still a highly effective power forward for the next 3-5 years.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 07:58 AM
  #554
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I wouldn't call that a probable scenario. The probable scenario is that he is still a highly effective power forward for the next 3-5 years.
I'm not so sure. His prime years were 26-28 and peaked at 28. That's old for a power forward. I think the downside of his career started two years ago.

Crease is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:04 AM
  #555
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I'm not so sure. His prime years were 26-28 and peaked at 28. That's old for a power forward. I think the downside of his career started two years ago.
In an off year where had injuries galore, he was on pace for ~38 points in 82 games and 200 PIM's.

If he can get back to 45 points, which I don't think is asking a whole lot after watching him play, while providing toughness and leadership, I would take him @ 3.75 million pretty easily. And I don't believe 45 points in anywhere near his ceiling in terms of points.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:29 AM
  #556
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Ola, healthy and LTIR are two extreme ends of the spectrum. What about the most probable scenario: Clowe gets banged up, ages like an avocado, but is still able to pass a physical.
Who knows, I don't.

I am a little afraid of you being right to like 90% at least. Its not like we are signing Lucic. But I don't believe that Clowe would be going Rupp II on us.

And facts are, we don't need him to be Lucic II either. Lucic II is a 6m player basically in this league. At 4m per, you only need 4m per hockey if you get what I mean.

I don't want Clowe, or McIlrath for that part too, to fight the Orr's of the league. Slats should get a real goon for that. That goon maybe doesn't have to dress as much as Rupp did.

Lets say we get our toughness from:
-1 heavy weight goon: Fights the heavy weights on the other team. Dressed on occasion.
-Ryane Clowe: Jumps in and fights after runs etc., prepared to drop them against the middle-weights.
-Dylan McIlrath: Jumps in and fights after runs etc., prepared to drop them against the middle-weights.
-Derek Dorsett: Jumps in and fights after runs etc., prepared to drop them against the middle-weights.
-Ryan Callahan: Fights on occasion.
-Brian Boyle: Fights on occasion.

We are one of the toughest teams in the league, and it doesn't hurt our game really.

Ola is online now  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:32 AM
  #557
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,209
vCash: 500
A lot of people have mentioned trading MDZ. I'm not sure the Rangers will do that, or if it's a good idea, but in the interest of discussion, what do people think about Brett Connolly? It's a name I haven't heard mentioned.

He had 15 points in 68 games in the NHL in 2011-12. Last year, he spent the majority of the season in the AHL and put up 31/32 in 71 games.

He just turned 21 in May. He is a RW, but he's big, fast and talented.

MDZ is the more proven player at this point, but I'm not sure if tampa would be willing to add anything. I imagine they are very high on Connolly. They are probably also looking for more of a shutdown dman, so maybe there isn't a deal to be made there.

GAGLine is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:37 AM
  #558
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,526
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
A lot of people have mentioned trading MDZ. I'm not sure the Rangers will do that, or if it's a good idea, but in the interest of discussion, what do people think about Brett Connolly? It's a name I haven't heard mentioned.

He had 15 points in 68 games in the NHL in 2011-12. Last year, he spent the majority of the season in the AHL and put up 31/32 in 71 games.

He just turned 21 in May. He is a RW, but he's big, fast and talented.

MDZ is the more proven player at this point, but I'm not sure if tampa would be willing to add anything. I imagine they are very high on Connolly. They are probably also looking for more of a shutdown dman, so maybe there isn't a deal to be made there.
We're going to trade a guy who hit 40 points as a 21-year-old for a guy who has barely proven himself to be a capable 3rd liner? Why?

TheRightWay is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:39 AM
  #559
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,496
vCash: 500
Connolly is someone I've advocated before. A deal around Connolly+ for Del Zotto would appeal to me as I think he's just about to hit the next level in his development. He's also a RH shot who can play both wings.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:40 AM
  #560
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I love ho everyone was clamoring for Zuccarello before he made the team, but after he's come on and been effective, apparently he's supposed to just be gotten rid of.

This board literally makes no sense.
In my defense, I've been critical of Zuccarello the entire time. Offensive production that isnt quite good enough to be in the top 6, and not enough defensive awareness to be in the bottom 6. His game is sort of in no man's land at the NHL level.

If we had an elite center on this team, maybe it'd be a different story, but that story is the same for most wingers.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:41 AM
  #561
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
We're going to trade a guy who hit 40 points as a 21-year-old for a guy who has barely proven himself to be a capable 3rd liner? Why?
Couldn't possibly be because we think Connolly is going to get better, right? Nah, that's crazy talk.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:43 AM
  #562
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,411
vCash: 500
I would love Connolly. However he is another RW.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:47 AM
  #563
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I would love Connolly. However he is another RW.
He can play either side.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:48 AM
  #564
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,369
vCash: 500
Can he QB a PP? That RH shot would be immense if he could.

Emptyvoid is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:49 AM
  #565
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He can play either side.
Sold. I brought p his name about a week and a half ago as not only does TB need good d-men, but MDZ and Stamkos are good friends and played together in Juniors. Makes sense.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:50 AM
  #566
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Couldn't possibly be because we think Connolly is going to get better, right? Nah, that's crazy talk.
Same could be said for Del Zotto, no?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:52 AM
  #567
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,369
vCash: 500
What would the + be? I think it has to be pretty significant otherwise trading MDZ is a risky proposition and poor asset value management.

Emptyvoid is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:52 AM
  #568
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Same could be said for Del Zotto, no?
Yes. I don't think many people here assume MDZ will not get better. Just that there are needs elsewhere

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:54 AM
  #569
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
What would the + be? I think it has to be pretty significant otherwise trading MDZ is a risky proposition and poor asset value management.
Well we know the Rangers were very high on Vasilevskiy last year.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:54 AM
  #570
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Well we know the Rangers were very high on Vasilevskiy last year.
Can you give me a scouting report on him?

Emptyvoid is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:55 AM
  #571
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Yes. I don't think many people here assume MDZ will not get better. Just that there are needs elsewhere
Defense and a PP QB aren't needs? Hes the closest thing we've got to the latter. I'd give him some time under Vigneault to see what he can do.

Despite the misconceptions, its not like the Rangers have an embarassment of riches on the blueline

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 08:59 AM
  #572
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Defense and a PP QB aren't needs? Hes the closest thing we've got to the latter. I'd give him some time under Vigneault to see what he can do.

Despite the misconceptions, its not like the Rangers have an embarassment of riches on the blueline
Calling MDZ a PP QB is a bit farfetched. He hasn't looked comfortable on the PP in a couple of years and his foot speed is a major detractor.

If they like Moore and believe they can keep Girardi, Staal and Stralman along with McDonagh then they can at least gauge the market for a defenseman. For me, out of all of them, MDZ is the one with the most perceived value around the league.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 09:05 AM
  #573
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Calling MDZ a PP QB is a bit farfetched. He hasn't looked comfortable on the PP in a couple of years and his foot speed is a major detractor.

If they like Moore and believe they can keep Girardi, Staal and Stralman along with McDonagh then they can at least gauge the market for a defenseman. For me, out of all of them, MDZ is the one with the most perceived value around the league.
Calling anyone else on that blueline a PP QB is even more far fetched.

I agree with your last sentence. I think he does have a ton of value, and Im open to trading him for a good return. I disagree about his footspeed - is his speed top end? Certainly not. But I feel like the issue of his speed took on a life of its own during the playoffs - in which he played with a sports hernia, which is certainly no picnic.


Last edited by Bleed Ranger Blue: 06-17-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 09:06 AM
  #574
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,526
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Couldn't possibly be because we think Connolly is going to get better, right? Nah, that's crazy talk.
Of course he is going to get better, but by that same token Del Zotto will likely as well. Players like Del Zotto are far more difficult to find than players like Connolly.

TheRightWay is offline  
Old
06-17-2013, 09:09 AM
  #575
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Calling anyone else on that blueline a PP QB is even more far fetched.

I agree with your last sentence. I think he does have a ton of value, and Im open to trading him for a good return. I disagree about his footspeed - if his speed top end? Certainly not. But I feel like the issue of his speed took on a life of its own during the playoffs - in which he played with a sports hernia, which is certainly no picnic.
His lack of footspeed has been a problem since he came into the league. He has decent puck skills but he tries for the stretch pass too much and his skating is average at best.

I would love to keep him, but the fact of the matter is, this team needs offense somehow. UFA is not working obviously.

NYR Viper is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.