HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Streit signs with PHI (4 years, $5.25M per)

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Lundsanity30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3217 View Post
With all the speculation about what happens, I doubt Sather does much. I would not be surprised if we saw this next year:

Kreider Brassard Nash
Hagelin Stepan Callahan
Clowe Richards Zuccarello
Pyatt Boyle Dorsett

McD Girardi
Staal DelZ
Moore Stralman
possibly there is just nothing out there in FA

Old
06-18-2013, 01:26 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Clutterbuck is so overrated. Wild fans like to compare him to Callahan all the time and I just laugh.

His "hits" are trailing the play most of the time, actually hurting his team by taking himself out of the backcheck. Has scored a Boyle/Clarkson level of lucky points.

I am all about adding a little more quality grit (aka not Rupp or Brashear) but I think Clutterbuck is really overrated (and will be overpaid) for what he brings.

06-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Lundsanity30

I swear some people on here would love a team full of size toughness jam and grit. hagelin does everything clutterbuck does and is our only top 6 lw atm.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I swear some people on here would love a team full of size toughness jam and grit. hagelin does everything clutterbuck does and is our only top 6 lw atm.
I don't even want to compare the two. Hagelin is a decent 1st line winger at ES, Clutterbuck is a 3rd liner at best.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:33 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
I don't even want to compare the two. Hagelin is a decent 1st line winger at ES, Clutterbuck is a 3rd liner at best.
Pretty much. Clutterbuck is one of the most overrated players out there, and Hagelin underrated.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
06-18-2013, 01:35 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
And there are people who would like to ice a Fast-Jussi Jokinen-Zuccarello 3rd line that would get run out of the building against the leagues elite teams.

You need a balance to be a contender.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Josh3217

Quote:
possibly there is just nothing out there in FA
Weiss, Macarthur, Stalberg, Nystrom, Hendricks.. just a few guys that would be interesting.. not so much Weiss, but we will see.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:41 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

clutterbuck ?? really...

the continuing effect of the torts regime.

too many years of watching boring game after boring game of dump and chase, grind it out hockey. cant we please add some talent to this team.

we have enough 3rd/4th line guys already.... ugh.

lets find a dman who can skate and shoot and a forward/centerman who can do the same.

then im all set for next season.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...61057723985920

Quote:
Logan Couture's contract extension with SJS is 5 years at $6 million per year. Can't be signed til July 5. Makes $2.875M next season.
Buys only two UFA years.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
And there are people who would like to ice a Fast-Jussi Jokinen-Zuccarello 3rd line that would get run out of the building against the leagues elite teams.

You need a balance to be a contender.
No, but I'd like to have three lines capable of scoring and one shutdown line. Something like:

Scoring:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
MacArthur-Lindberg/Miller-Dorsett

Shutdown:

Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan

The shutdown line is likely to get 2nd-3rd most TOI at ES depending on how the game plays out.

MacArthur and Kreider can switch if Kreider is unable to perform adequately in his role. That would make the 3rd scoring line a more traditional 4th line that gets little ice time.

Another option is to take Cally off the shutdown line, replace him with Dorsett and put him on Brass' line with Zucc on the left. But I think Cally is better suited for a defensive role at ES and I think using Pyatt-Boyle-Dorsett as our primary defensive line seems risky.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'd love to sign Stepan to a 8 year ~$5.5M/year contract. It is not entirely unreasonable in comparison to Couture's contract, Logan is a lot more proven than Derek.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:53 PM
3rdlineglory

I'm no Taylor Pyatt fan, but does anyone else think we should keep him for next season now that AV is our new coach? He was pretty much a non-factor this past season, but look at his stats from previous years. The guy is a very good third liner. He's played under AV before. If he can go back to player he was in years past, he should go a long way towards solving our scoring woes in the bottom six.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:54 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Nystrom is NOT a 3rd liner. Maybe on a ****** team like Dallas he is.
He is fine as a 3rd liner in case of injuries. He is a more consistent player than Pyatt.

Quote:
No, but I'd like to have three lines capable of scoring and one shutdown line. Something like:

Scoring:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
MacArthur-Lindberg/Miller-Dorsett

Shutdown:

Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan

The shutdown line is likely to get 2nd-3rd most TOI at ES depending on how the game plays out.

MacArthur and Kreider can switch if Kreider is unable to perform adequately in his role. That would make the 3rd scoring line a more traditional 4th line that gets little ice time.

Another option is to take Cally off the shutdown line, replace him with Dorsett and put him on Brass' line with Zucc on the left. But I think Cally is better suited for a defensive role at ES and I think using Pyatt-Boyle-Dorsett as our primary defensive line seems risky.
That is a soft line-up. Especially considering the defense is soft as well.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Ah, we're back to the "we have enough 3rd/4th liners" schtick. Could have sworn bottom-six depth was a problem a few weeks ago.

Clutterbuck has better hands than Dorsett. Having two bottom-six RW's who are gritty, can agitate, and chip in some points isn't a bad thing. Wanting to improve the bottom six doesn't mean you're ignoring the other areas that need work. Get a grip, kids.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Hagelin is definitely not a 1st line winger at ES.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:02 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
3 UFA years. He has 1 year left on his current deal, which will be his 5th in the league.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:03 PM
NYROrtsFan

As big a fan as I am of Clutterbuck, I wouldn't move Hagelin for him. I think Hagelin is the type of guy you keep.

As for Pyatt, I'd get rid of him. Brings zero hitting, not much passing and certainly not much scoring. Also not a penalty killer.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:04 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Ah, we're back to the "we have enough 3rd/4th liners" schtick. Could have sworn bottom-six depth was a problem a few weeks ago.
I think the reasoning is that if we add top end talent, that pushes other players down to lower lines, thus improving our bottom 6 as we improve the top 6.

But those players aren't cheap or easy to come by.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:06 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I think the reasoning is that if we add top end talent, that pushes other players down to lower lines, thus improving our bottom 6 as we improve the top 6.

That is the main issue

Old
06-18-2013, 02:06 PM
OverTheCap

The bottom 6 absolutely needs to be improved upon. The 4th line has been a mess for years, it's about time they adequately addressed it.

Sather needs to stop targeting slow, lumbering enforcer-types for the 4th line. Getting some speed and mobility on that line is a must, other teams skate circles around our 4th line.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Hagelin is definitely not a 1st line winger at ES.
Hagelin is an excellent possession player, and actually scores a lot of points at ES. I mean he actually outproduced Malkin at ES in P/60 this year despite playing MUCH more difficult minutes.

Only counting players that averaged 12+ ESMin/G, and that played at least averagely difficult minutes (0 or more CRel. QoC):

He was the 18th most productive LW at ES in the league this season, 39th among all wingers.

He was the 11th most productive LW at ES last year, 18th among all wingers.

He is 52nd among all forwards that played over 1250 minutes in total in P/60 over the past two seasons.

Add his excellent possession numbers, and I don't see how he isn't a decent 1st liner at ES.

Last edited by Blue Blooded: 06-18-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old
06-18-2013, 02:27 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Flyers would move Matt Read in a deal for Bernier. But Kings would likely want Jakub Voracek as main piece - speed, scoring.
https://twitter.com/tpanotchCSN/stat...52753870266368

Read is a group III next summer. The Islanders are also interested in Bernier.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
He is fine as a 3rd liner in case of injuries. He is a more consistent player than Pyatt.

That is a soft line-up. Especially considering the defense is soft as well.
I don't think it is too soft, it may be on the small side but most of the guys are tenacious and good forecheckers which I take over a few inches and pounds every day.

Kreider is probably the softest player in that lineup.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

Which is why we need to focus on improving the 3rd line. Those players are far more cost effective and push 4th liners down to where they should be, rather than playing over their heads.

Pyatt-Boyle-Dorsett has the makings of a great 4th line. Honestly, I could see any of the 3 working as 3rd line players if the other two guys on their line were legitimately 3rd liners. The problem was that they, together, were our third line. You can try to target top-6 players to push everyone down, but there are far more factors involved to their success. Offensive chemistry, availability of players, size of contracts within cap restraints, etc etc. Far better to target actual 3rd liners to improve the bottom-6. Or better yet, 3rd liners who have the ability to play in the top-6 on occasion if they show chemistry with players up there.

Ryan Jones. Clarke MacArthur. Mason Raymond. Viktor Stalberg. Damien Brunner. Brad Boyes. And yes, Ryane Clowe.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:30 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Are the Kings on drugs? The market for non-elite goalies has never been strong, and they expect a point per game player that just broke out in Voracek? Laughable. Matt Read and a pick or prospect is more than fair.

My money is on the Leafs acquiring Bernier.

Closed Thread