HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Around the League #6: Dat Hertl

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2013, 09:15 AM
trent_vinyl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Interesting. Kane thinks Crawford got snubbed for the Conn Smythe lol.

For all the crap Toews got (and deservedly so at times). 5 points in the final 3 games. Came up big when it mattered the most.
Personally, I thought Keith should have got it. The guy averaged over 27 minutes a game, was +10, had 13 pts, and played against every teams top line game in / game out.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Oilhawks

I feel blessed to have been around to see one of my favourite teams hoist the cup at least twice (and technically, I was around for 2 of my other favourite, but wasn't old enough to be conscious of them). Here's hoping MacT can turn the Oilers around so we can see the Oilers hoist the cup sometime soon.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:24 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
You realize the best defensive team in the league this year was Chicago, right?

I understand they were also the 2nd best offensive team to go along with it.

A season for the ages from the Blackhawks. 52 wins, 14 losses, with 5 shootout losses thrown in. 2nd most GF, fewest GA. Will be interesting to see how history remembers it being that it was a shortened season, but it was one of the most dominant in NHL history.
Yes they dominated the league. Hard to be bad at d when you're doing that, but I think you know the difference between Chicago's system and that of Boston, LA, or New York.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent_vinyl View Post
Personally, I thought Keith should have got it. The guy averaged over 27 minutes a game, was +10, had 13 pts, and played against every teams top line game in / game out.
Keith was my choice. Sadly, I think the voters pretty much just watched the last few games and picked the forward that stood out. Anybody who watched the entire playoffs couldn't have voted for Kane in good conscience. Chicago won this Cup with defense and transition attacks. Keith is the engine that drives that system.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:57 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Apparently Handzus had a broken wrist and torn MCL. Can see why he was given the cup 2nd.
age before beauty

cripples before able-bodies

Old
06-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Yes they dominated the league. Hard to be bad at d when you're doing that, but I think you know the difference between Chicago's system and that of Boston, LA, or New York.
Definite difference between the Hawks and Kings/Rangers. Less so between them and the Bruins I'd say. Both teams are defense-first despite scoring lots of goals. Chicago's offense is keyed by transition play of defenders, Boston's relies on the centermen to do more of the heavy lifting in their own zone to gain puck possession. Chicago gets more scoring out of their 3rd and 4th line for sure. I've personally always found the Bruins quite entertaining to watch. They've rarely been a team to sit on leads and just grind the game to a halt like other defensive teams.

Old
06-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Definite difference between the Hawks and Kings/Rangers. Less so between them and the Bruins I'd say. Both teams are defense-first despite scoring lots of goals. Chicago's offense is keyed by transition play of defenders, Boston's relies on the centermen to do more of the heavy lifting in their own zone to gain puck possession. Chicago gets more scoring out of their 3rd and 4th line for sure. I've personally always found the Bruins quite entertaining to watch. They've rarely been a team to sit on leads and just grind the game to a halt like other defensive teams.
Good rundown. Both teams are predatory in terms of seeking and finding possible odd man situations and counter rushes. Because of how well they play in all areas of the ice first.

What struck me in the series is it started with Bruins clogging NZ and having its say there. It ended very much with Chicago doing that and the Bruins being consistently stymied and moving slow as molasses trying to forward the puck. The Hawks completely cut off any semblance of Bruins speed trying to go through middle ice and really limited anything Bruins could otherwise create. Boston was left with a nonstop diet of poor dump ins with no speed and offsides.

A standing still dump in is not all that effective. Especially with guys like Keith back there.

Old
06-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Good rundown. Both teams are predatory in terms of seeking and finding possible odd man situations and counter rushes. Because of how well they play in all areas of the ice first.

What struck me in the series is it started with Bruins clogging NZ and having its say there. It ended very much with Chicago doing that and the Bruins being consistently stymied and moving slow as molasses trying to forward the puck. The Hawks completely cut off any semblance of Bruins speed trying to go through middle ice and really limited anything Bruins could otherwise create. Boston was left with a nonstop diet of poor dump ins with no speed and offsides.

A standing still dump in is not all that effective. Especially with guys like Keith back there.
We didn't agree on a lot the last couple weeks, but we're on the same plane now. Chicago was almost impossible to effectively dump and chase against because of how well their defense moved the puck.

Keith and Seabrook being reunited in the Detroit series was a turning point of sorts. They were back to 2010 form, nearly flawless in most games.

Hjalmarsson and Oduya both probably hit the high water mark of their careers this spring. Hjalmarsson was starting to run out of gas by the final, but he was airtight for the first three rounds, monstrous effort out of him. Oduya has been prone to defensive lapses throughout his career, but really cut them down in the playoffs. Having Hjalmarsson as a steadying presence defensively surely helped him.

Leddy is one of the best skating defenseman in the league. Quenneville used him sparingly, but he seldom made errors at any point. His instinct for when to rush the puck is excellent, his mobility reminds me of a young Niedermayer. Roszival struggled in the first two rounds, but was an absolute beast against LA and Boston. He was Chicago's third-best dman in the final IMO.

With forwards that are as good defensively as Toews, Hossa, and Sharp, generating offense through the neutral zone is going to be difficult. The dump and chase is the conventional way around that, and Chicago's defense nullified that. Not much else Boston could do to generate offense. The irony is the Blackhawks were uncharacteristically poor in their own end last night, and Boston could only muster two goals for all their chances. They scored five times on half as many chances in Game 4.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:30 AM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
This news about Bergeron is startling. But I thought the oilers were the only team to use players unfit to play, eh Sheldon?

Old
06-26-2013, 09:41 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
This news about Bergeron is startling. But I thought the oilers were the only team to use players unfit to play, eh Sheldon?
It's the playoffs, you have to damn near kill some of these guys in order for them not to play. CHI had their share of banged up bodies as well.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:56 AM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's the playoffs, you have to damn near kill some of these guys in order for them not to play. CHI had their share of banged up bodies as well.
None of them are still in hospital.

Old
06-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

So Messier has finally left the Rangers organization. I guess he got tired of waiting for Sather to give him the coaching reins.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:55 PM
joestevens29

Probably a stupid question, but has there ever been talk of moving the Yotes to the real Phoenix and having them still play some games in Glendale?

Old
07-02-2013, 11:18 PM
awesomo
HARD!

i like what these people are saying

Old
07-02-2013, 11:37 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

3-3-1 right now, for the future of the Arizona Coyotes. 3 for, 3 against, 1 undecided.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Moose Coleman

The Coyotes are staying*.

*for five years.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:13 AM
joestevens29

Scott Arniel being hired as an assistant in NYR. Apparently a lot of CBJ guys hated him especially Brassard.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Ahahahahahahahahaha Hall just got shafted from the 2nd All Star team because they wanted to give Ovechkin a spot on both the 1st and 2nd team.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:04 PM
joestevens29

Helene Elliott ‏@helenenothelen 2m
rt from colleague @reallisa: Kings' Jarret Stoll rushed to the hospital after suffering seizure http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,3268900.story … via @latimes

Well that's shocking news. Didn't realize there was a link at first. Somewhat good news that he's going to be released.

Lombardi said that a battery of tests was run on Stoll and that it was expected he would be released later in the day. He said Stoll was taken to Little Company of Mary Hospital in Torrance and Lombardi visited him there later Wednesday morning.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Toydarian

I wonder if Stoll's seizure is related to his concussion issues.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:15 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Helene Elliott ‏@helenenothelen 2m
rt from colleague @reallisa: Kings' Jarret Stoll rushed to the hospital after suffering seizure http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,3268900.story via @latimes

Well that's shocking news. Didn't realize there was a link at first. Somewhat good news that he's going to be released.

Lombardi said that a battery of tests was run on Stoll and that it was expected he would be released later in the day. He said Stoll was taken to Little Company of Mary Hospital in Torrance and Lombardi visited him there later Wednesday morning.
Holy ****. I hope he's alright.

hope his career isn't over

Old
07-03-2013, 02:19 PM
awesomo
HARD!

His career is probably over. Good job raffi

Old
07-04-2013, 02:25 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

edit : wrong thread

Last edited by SephF: 07-04-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old
07-04-2013, 04:11 PM
B A T M A N*

Wrong thread for this, but can someone explain to be how the Playoffs (and seedings) work next year? I tried reading NHL.com but still don't get it...it seems like we have an even lower chance of getting in now...

Old
07-04-2013, 04:20 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 6257
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by B A T M A N View Post
Wrong thread for this, but can someone explain to be how the Playoffs (and seedings) work next year? I tried reading NHL.com but still don't get it...it seems like we have an even lower chance of getting in now...
The top 4 teams from each division get into the playoffs. From there they seed these 4 teams and they play 1v4 and 2v3. The winner of these games go on to face each other for the division title. From here the 4 remaining division champs will be reseeded again and they play again until we get a Stanley cup champion. Theoretically we could have 2 "eastern" teams or 2 "western" teams playing against each other for the cup Ex. Edmonton vs Colorado or Boston vs New York. Also keep in mind that there is a cross over system like what the AHL or the CFL has. Look at the past AHL playoffs for an example of how it works.