HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can the Wings Replenish Again, or is the Door Slowly Closing?

Old
06-12-2013, 11:59 AM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 450
Can the Wings Replenish Again, or is the Door Slowly Closing?

http://lastwordonsports.com/is-the-door-closing-on-the-red-wings-or-can-they-keep-it-going/

Quote:
This is the third article in a series of articles looking at and analyzing the success of the last five teams to raise the Stanley Cup. I am in search of the new magic formula to creating a champion and whether that champion is built to stand the test of time. Yesterday we looked at Detroit as being the only true dynasty of the last twenty years. Today we continue our analysis of the Detroit Red Wings to determine if we are watching the end of an era.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Gyldenlove

vCash: 500
Looking at the last 5 Stanley cup winning teams it seems obvious that to have ultimate success in the NHL today you need to build a core of players through the draft and complement it with a few key talented free agents.

The Wings won with a lot of home drafted stars (Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Zetterberg) in 2008 but got significant contributions from guys like Brad Stuart, Brian Rafalski and Mikael Samuelson.

In 2009 the Penguins won with guys like Fleury, Crosby, Malkin but got large contributions from Guerin, Fedotenko, Kunitz.

In 2010 it was Chicago with Kane, Keith, Toews and Hossa, Campbell and Sharp.

In 2011 it was Boston with Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand and Chara, Horton and Ryder.

In 2012 it was LA with Doughty, Quick, Kopitar, Brown and Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and Justin Williams.

Looking at the current roster we have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Howard, Kronwall - we have the young guys in the system and breaking into the roster who can contribute. We lack the key free agents to bolster the roster - Looking at who has scored the points this year in both regular season and playoffs, only 1 of the top 11 scorers have played an NHL game for another franchise (Dan Cleary). That won't cut it, this team needs to add one or two difference makers in free agency and if necessary at the cost of placing some older players in the minors or unemployment line.

We lost out last year on Parise and Suter and while I don't want to say those two would have been the difference between a game 7 overtime loss and a Stanley cup, I definitely think they would have gone a long way. We need to add a talented player or two, the best way to do that in the current situation seems to be adding a couple of veterans and hope they have a bit more gas left in the tank.

Gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Hckytwn
Don't do it Kenny...

Looking at the Wings D prospects, including Dekeyser and Smith, I'd be surprised if at least 3 of them didn't end up as top-4 NHL D men, with one of them a legitimate #1. Likewise, they probably have 3-4 top-6 forwards (especially when included Nyquist and Tatar). Add Howard, Kindl, Ericsson, Kronwall, Helm, Abs, etc into that mix, and no, the door isn't closing.

It's more of a question of how Holland manages and compliments the prospects he has. What he's done the last 2-3 years really isn't going to cut it--but I am hopeful this off-season will be different.

Hckytwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Spitfire11

The future looks good but unless a couple of their prospects explode out of the gate, I think the door has already closed on the current core group of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzen. How often has a team won a Cup with all their core players in their 30's? 2002 is the only one in the past 2 decades, and you can probably go back even further.

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Henkka

What door closing? We are jumping now for another success era.

That 1st round exit at 2012 was our lowest point since 2006. Now our direction is going up again. This season's playoff run and the results what's happening with our future engine, Grand Rapids Griffins prospect production, I have full believe for a very shiny future. Our prospect depth insanely deep. First great guys are now jumping in.

If we can push to 2nd round exit with kids, I expect conference finals at next season with these more experienced kids.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
The future looks good but unless a couple of their prospects explode out of the gate, I think the door has already closed on the current core group of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzen. How often has a team won a Cup with all their core players in their 30's? 2002 is the only one in the past 2 decades, and you can probably go back even further.
How old was the core of the Stars when they won? And I think the last Devil's team wasn't the youngest, nor was the Avs group that won with Bourque. I don't remember either being as advanced in age as the current wings group, though.

I wonder what we'll see happen with the cap, and how parity will affect cup winners. part of the reason we haven't seen older teams win is probably because it seems there was a cycle to a handful of teams becoming really good and dominating the postseason, then fading as another group ascended. With the cap, I'm not sure we'll see as much of a cycle, and either more randomness with teams jumping in and out of contention from year to year, along with a handful of franchises that never drop too far but also never rise too high.

06-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Shoalzie

Too bad the farm team stinks...

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:57 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
How old was the core of the Stars when they won? And I think the last Devil's team wasn't the youngest, nor was the Avs group that won with Bourque. I don't remember either being as advanced in age as the current wings group, though.

I wonder what we'll see happen with the cap, and how parity will affect cup winners. part of the reason we haven't seen older teams win is probably because it seems there was a cycle to a handful of teams becoming really good and dominating the postseason, then fading as another group ascended. With the cap, I'm not sure we'll see as much of a cycle, and either more randomness with teams jumping in and out of contention from year to year, along with a handful of franchises that never drop too far but also never rise too high.
Agreed, and after all that was kind of the whole point of the cap. Basically think the next three drafts is the waive of new dominant talent, time will tell, but that is kind of how it works, every decade a new batch crops up and pushes their teams into contention if their organizations do it right.

We need a couple prospects to hit big, but they have a lot of bullets in the chamber in terms of their prospects, I think the Wings will be fine.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Spitfire11

Quote:
They all had a couple core veterans obviously but a solid mix of top young star players in their prime too.

Dallas would be close, but still had Modano their best player at 28, Zubov 28, Lehtinen 25, Sydor 26, Hatcher 26, Nieuwendyk was 31

NJ: Elias 26, Rafalski 28, Niedermayer 29, Gomez 22,

Colorado was actually quite young: Forsberg 27, Hejduk 24, Drury 24, Tanguay 20, Foote 29, Blake 30

Since the lockout/cap Carolina was actually fairly old with Weight, Recchi, Brind'Amour, Whitney although they were still led by Staal 20 and Williams 23.

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
They all had a couple core veterans obviously but a solid mix of top young star players in their prime too.

Dallas would be close, but still had Modano their best player at 28, Zubov 28, Lehtinen 25, Sydor 26, Hatcher 26, Nieuwendyk was 31

NJ: Elias 26, Rafalski 28, Niedermayer 29, Gomez 22,

Colorado was actually quite young: Forsberg 27, Hejduk 24, Drury 24, Tanguay 20, Foote 29, Blake 30

Since the lockout/cap Carolina was actually fairly old with Weight, Recchi, Brind'Amour, Whitney although they were still led by Staal 20 and Williams 23.
Those teams felt so much older than that. It felt like we'd been playing them for years. On the other hand, I forgot about Carolina entirely.

Winger98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:51 AM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 450
Quote:
Those teams felt so much older than that. It felt like we'd been playing them for years. On the other hand, I forgot about Carolina entirely.
Young is the way to go in the new NHL. We can see it more and more. Hawks are still young by my standards and so is Boston. Your best players need to be on the younger side to handle the grind, but having an experienced core is also needed.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Cbdudek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Too bad the farm team stinks...

Keep in mind that before Blashill took over, this team had loads of talent but failed to make the postseason. A good coach at the AHL level is vital to the growth of the players and the Wings franchise as a whole.

As for the team, I really don't believe the door is closing. If anything, its opening up again. It is going to take time for us to get back to the "cup favorites" category again.

Cbdudek is offline   Reply With Quote