HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RFA David Rundblad

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 12:59 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
RFA David Rundblad

Quote:
#Coyotes pending RFA D David Rundblad may leave #NHL for #KHL per his agent via @EkExpressen
Per Igor Eronko (@IgorEronko)

My guess is this is just a negotiating ploy, since Rundblad doesn't have much production to point to. But if there's any truth to this at all, this would be the fourth top prospect who was able to worm his way off the team in five years. I get that there are very extenuating circumstances forcing Maloney's hand, and I get that you don't want to set a precedent where unproven players can dictate terms greater than they deserve, but this isn't a great precedent to set, either.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:43 PM
lanky

This is really depressing.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:46 PM
lanky

I hope DM can get Philly to over-pay for Yandle at the draft (Streit would have to insist on hitting free agency). Then Rundblad might feel confident enough in his ability to crack the roster.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:47 PM
korpedo

im willing to bet money we resign him.like PhoPhan said its probably just a ploy to get more $

Old
06-13-2013, 01:56 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
I hope DM can get Philly to over-pay for Yandle at the draft (Streit would have to insist on hitting free agency). Then Rundblad might feel confident enough in his ability to crack the roster.
It'd be hilarious if Streit walks and Holmgren in desperation decides to let Maloney fleece him for Yandle. That being said, I think Streit will sign with the Flyers.

Agree it's just a negotiating ploy; Rundblad's almost certainly going to be our 7th defenseman and will see significant PP/bottom pairing time next season. But his lack of NHL production + likelihood this is a one way contract = GMDM should be able to resign him for what Schlemko resigned for, if not less.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:03 PM
lanky

Is it common for RFA's to get one-way deals?

Old
06-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Sciamachy
Formerly Sceva Sct

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Moving Morris is more likely (and preferable I think) since Yandle and Rundblad play opposite sides and since Demo is older, in his final year on his contract and plays the same side as Rundblad.

Pretty sure this would just be a negotiating ploy. If he's doing it to get a stupid amount of money, nothing we can really do about it, but if its about playing time/roster spot we need to keep him here. All the depth we had on D between solid vets and promising youth is nearly gone. Summers is UFA, Murphy seems to be permanently broken, Gonch hasn't panned out and is likely KHL bound, Demo and Rusty could re-sign but for now they are entering the last year of their contracts (not to mention Rusty's injury history). Adding Rundblad to the KHL would just be too much I think.

Honestly don't feel it's in our best interest long term to just let Rundblad walk to the KHL just so we can have one more year of Morris/Klesla (over simplification I know). Regardless of the holes that remain in Rundblads game, he's made enough strides that I feel its time to role the dice on him. Load him up on the PP and shelter his ES minutes if needed. He's close enough that this is one time I'd bite and be willing to give a player a full time shot even if they aren't quite 100% ready.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:56 PM
XX
Lots of Try

They were probably talking about extending his ELC 1 year by qualifying him, and he wants an actual deal with a chance to make the roster.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm sure it's a negotiation tactic. It may also be a tactic to force a trade to a team with a crappy blue line.

06-13-2013, 03:06 PM
PhoPhan

It's worth mentioning that in the eight games Rundblad played last year, he got 9:42 of ES time, 3:48 of PP time, and 0:18 of SH time, with an ES offensive zone start percentage of 74.3%. It's an extremely low sample size, of course, but I can't imagine getting cushier minutes. Eight games played, even in a 48 games season, is not many, but when he even did play, Tippett obviously didn't have a ton of faith in anything but his offensive skill.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Hockeyfrilla

Rundblad and his agent is waiting for the talks to get started with Phoenix, and says there is interest from russian clubs, nothing more.

Last edited by Hockeyfrilla: 06-13-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old
06-13-2013, 03:11 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
It's worth mentioning that in the eight games Rundblad played last year, he got 9:42 of ES time, 3:48 of PP time, and 0:18 of SH time, with an ES offensive zone start percentage of 74.3%. It's an extremely low sample size, of course, but I can't imagine getting cushier minutes. Eight games played, even in a 48 games season, is not many, but when he even did play, Tippett obviously didn't have a ton of faith in anything but his offensive skill.
Tippett is not someone I trust with young players. Those eight games were not consecutive and the minutes he got were garbage. He looked great. He didn't put the puck in the net, but he was dangerous in the offensive zone and no worse than Schlemko or Lepisto in his own end. For a team with an embarassing PP, he's exactly the type of player you need to let grow.

Two weeks from now he could have a new city and a new coach, so I don't see the point in throwing this tantrum now. He lit up the AHL and didn't get a fair shake at the NHL level. He probably figures that Stone's emergence will make it even harder. No shame in asking for or trying to force a trade at this point.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:14 PM
AndrewYotes

So he can just walk to the KHL while being an RFA? I thought being an RFA meant a team could make a QO and the player has to accept it or something.

If we lose him for nothing, that's really bad asset management.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewYotes View Post
So he can just walk to the KHL while being an RFA? I thought being an RFA meant a team could make a QO and the player has to accept it or something.

Not really since GMDM had no choice but to get the most he can possible for Kyle Turris. Should we lose Rundblad for nothing then at least we have more money on a tight budget team to try to help us on offense seeing that we are stacked on D.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:24 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Tippett is not someone I trust with young players...
Though some of the criticism is understandable, it's only fair to point out that OEL, Stone, and Schlemko have done very well under Tippett (with the latter two exceeding expectations to a great extent). If you're young but play solid, especially under pressure, Tippett will give you the minutes.

And I'll disagree some with your assessment with Rundblad - he looked good overall in the offensive zone, but his play in his own end was erratic at best, he definitely didn't look as poised out there as Schlemko and had some trouble dealing with speed. That being said, next season is definitely a make or break season for him on the Yotes, and hopefully Tippett (or God forbid his successor) gives him a fair shake.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:26 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:

If the threat was real, I'm sure GMDM would trade Rundblad for something instead of letting him leave for nothing. Quite a few teams out there have crappy bluelines and could use Rundblad's skills at PP. But again, I think it's just posturing.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:27 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
They were probably talking about extending his ELC 1 year by qualifying him, and he wants an actual deal with a chance to make the roster.
He deserves a one-way deal north of one million bucks. He's got the pedigree of being a high draft pick, he's got solid pro credentials in Europe, and he's been paying his dues like a professional in the face of a pretty tight leash and an unusually narrow tolerance for mistakes. Say what you want about none of that meaning anything in the NHL, but I believe it does. He's worked hard and succeeded enough to have put himself in a position where he's earned a solid NHL contract. Don may be a cheapskate and Tippett may be a dictator, but there are 29 other NHL teams that would LOVE to be able to hand him a 1.25m one-way deal.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:29 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:

QO's only apply to the NHL /AHL structure ... all bets are off leaving the continent. That said, he's a young guy with promise ... strange to burn the NHL bridge this early, so I've gotta think this is just the agent talking.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Vip
Dubnyk Support Team

Maybe he just wants $$$.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:27 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Though some of the criticism is understandable, it's only fair to point out that OEL, Stone, and Schlemko have done very well under Tippett (with the latter two exceeding expectations to a great extent). If you're young but play solid, especially under pressure, Tippett will give you the minutes.
None of those players have defensive question marks. You do not turn into an NHL regular by logging minutes in the AHL. He damn near ruined Boedker. Defending his attitude towards young players gets old. He is simply wrong, and he gets away with it because he wins. He was fired in Dallas partly for that attitude, and he could just as easily run a budget team into the ground with it. He is not infallible or above criticism.

Most players come into this league needing development beyond the minor leagues. Only a precious few like OEL have the sheer talent to succeed regardless of circumstance. Everyone else needs a helping hand. Yanking someones chain like Tippett loves to due under the guise of being 'old school' is stupid. Put the kid in and let him sink or swim. Rundblad was being sat (like Boedker) regardless of whether or not he had a good game. Where's the incentive there? I'd want out too. These guys only get 1 shot to get it right when they are young. Turris made the right call by jumping ship. It should scare you that yet another highly touted prospect wants to do the same. At some point we have to admit it's a problem endemic to this team and not the type of people we are drafting or acquiring.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:29 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

I'm hoping DM forces whoever the coach is to play him by dealing either Z or Morris.2 of our right side D should be Rundblad and Stone. Its time for them to play consistent minutes.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Blank Space

vCash: 564
Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

(Obvious reaction with a name like mine.)

06-13-2013, 07:50 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
LOL ... could Rundblad's name be the new rt's avatar?

Old
06-13-2013, 08:18 PM
hbk

He wants a one way deal.

It's his way of forcing Maloney to make a move. Not surprising move at all.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:18 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Id look at moving him in a deal to move up in the draft, package him with 12 and look at the devils at 9 or dallas at 10. Both would look to take dmen. something along the line of 12+Rundblad for 9/10 +. Dallas likes to take risks on dmen threatening the KHL.

Closed Thread