HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What is the greatest single-season NHL team ever assembled?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2013, 09:29 PM
  #51
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog
 
Ogie Goldthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NS via BC
Posts: 2,820
vCash: 500
The '77 Habs dominated, for sure... but it was during the most watered down era the NHL has ever xperienced, at least since WWII. For that same reason, I discount pretty much all of the '70's teams. That's not to say that the '70's Canadiens, Bruins and Flyers shouldn't be considered, but the '56 Canadiens probably takes it.

HM also to the '84 Oilers, the '02 Wings and the '82 Isles, the '92 Penguins and since this is the history section, probably some prehistoric Canadiens or Bruins squad with Morenz or Shore on them.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:39 PM
  #52
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 26,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
...50's and 60's, the NHL was known as the Norris House League, as the Norris family owned or had interest in Chicago, Detroit and New York.
Indeed. They'd also lent Boston a considerable sum in order to keep that franchise afloat coming out of the Dirty 30's & lean War Years, the Bruins losing most of their top talent to enlistment etc. The Adams somewhat "beholden" to the Norris's as a result, voting in lock-step with whatever they decided was best for the NHL on any number of issues amongst other triangulations off-grid.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:10 PM
  #53
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
As far as the Oilers go, I think the 1987 team was even stronger, on paper. They had all of their core players PLUS Kent Nilsson and Rexi Ruotsalainen.
Plus Tikkanen wasn't around for 1984.

I like the 1987 Oilers too here. Of course they went to 7 games vs the Flyers but still I pick them.

Tikkanen Gretzky Kurri
Anderson Messier Nilsson

Coffey Lowe

And decent depth after that. I pick the Oilers based on Gretzky. Gretzky with the best players he ever had around him and Messier in his prime.

I think they could beat the stacked Habs teams. In fact I think the better the opponent the better the Oilers would have played.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:17 PM
  #54
Boom Boom Bear
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Coast Salish lands
Country:
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Plus Tikkanen wasn't around for 1984.

I like the 1987 Oilers too here. Of course they went to 7 games vs the Flyers but still I pick them.

Tikkanen Gretzky Kurri
Anderson Messier Nilsson

Coffey Lowe

And decent depth after that. I pick the Oilers based on Gretzky. Gretzky with the best players he ever had around him and Messier in his prime.

I think they could beat the stacked Habs teams. In fact I think the better the opponent the better the Oilers would have played.
Actually, Nilsson played left wing on the second unit, Anderson stayed on the right side, where he'd been playing with Messier for a couple of seasons. Sather put them together in the playoffs after Messier ruff'tup Nilsson in the locker room for indifferent defensive play. Turned into a really powerful combo, Magic really clicked on that line, & they put up some big numbers & scored some crucial goals, & Kenta matched his linemates in intensity of play by the time they hit the finals. He really beefed up the offensive prowess of the second line, plus worked the penalty kill unit & power play. Pretty coool that the line featured three super versatile guys: Nilsson could play all forward positions, Messier center & left wing, & Anderson both wings. Nilsson was decent on the draw, so the line could still win faceoffs when Messier was kicked out of the circle.

Coffey was paired with Huddy & Lowe was paired with Smith, i do believe

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 08:25 AM
  #55
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
The Red Army team that trampled an NHL team that was treating the game like an exhibition ala preseason. Seed them into the Stanley Cup playoffs where the games actually matter and the Red Army team gets squashed like roaches.
Sure. Like in the next year's Canada Cup, which saw Team Canada that was practically Oilers minus the scrubs (and Kurri) and plus Bourque, Lemieux, Tocchet, and others. It barely squeaked through Team USSR that was practically CSKA with some 3rd and 4th line additions. Or was this a "preseason exhibition" tournament as well?

Sentinel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:34 AM
  #56
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Sure. Like in the next year's Canada Cup, which saw Team Canada that was practically Oilers minus the scrubs (and Kurri) and plus Bourque, Lemieux, Tocchet, and others. It barely squeaked through Team USSR that was practically CSKA with some 3rd and 4th line additions. Or was this a "preseason exhibition" tournament as well?
It might as well have been. If there isn't a paycheck or a Stanley Cup on the line North American players generally don't put out a 100% effort.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:39 AM
  #57
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
It might as well have been. If there isn't a paycheck or a Stanley Cup on the line North American players generally don't put out a 100% effort.
Eh, in the World Championships, sure North Americans don't give a crap, but in the important tournaments (Summit Series, Canada Cups, 1996 World Cup, best-on-best Olympics), they certainly do.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:42 AM
  #58
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Eh, in the World Championships, sure North Americans don't give a crap, but in the important tournaments (Summit Series, Canada Cups, 1996 World Cup, best-on-best Olympics), they certainly do.
In the first summit series they did. After that the effort really wasn't there. Olympics are a bit different. Canada Cups and World Cups the difference in effort between them and the Stanley Cup playoffs was night and day.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:47 AM
  #59
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
It might as well have been. If there isn't a paycheck or a Stanley Cup on the line North American players generally don't put out a 100% effort.
That's just plain ridiculous.

You can argue the teams hadn't time to gel properly, but to say they didn't put in the same type of effort in the Canada/World Cups is just ridiculous.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:48 AM
  #60
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
In the first summit series they did. After that the effort really wasn't there. Olympics are a bit different. Canada Cups and World Cups the difference in effort between them and the Stanley Cup playoffs was night and day.
Tell that to Wayne Gretzky who literally pissed himself during the finals of the 1987 Canada Cup.

Seriously, I feel we must have been watching different tournaments. The 87 CC and 96 WC finals were as intense hockey as I've ever seen. (Saw 96 live and 87 on video).

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:58 AM
  #61
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Tell that to Wayne Gretzky who literally pissed himself during the finals of the 1987 Canada Cup.

Seriously, I feel we must have been watching different tournaments. The 87 CC and 96 WC finals were as intense hockey as I've ever seen. (Saw 96 live and 87 on video).
Wayne Gretzky is one man on the team. Watch the Super Series between the Oilers and the Red Army team then watch an Oilers game from the playoffs the same year. If you can't see the difference in effort and intensity then I don't know what to tell you.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:05 PM
  #62
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Wayne Gretzky is one man on the team. Watch the Super Series between the Oilers and the Red Army team then watch an Oilers game from the playoffs the same year. If you can't see the difference in effort and intensity then I don't know what to tell you.
Nice strawman. I specifically mentioned "important tournaments," not a Super Series between club teams.

I agree with you that the Soviets took the games between club teams more seriously than NHL teams did.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:18 PM
  #63
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Nice strawman. I specifically mentioned "important tournaments," not a Super Series between club teams.

I agree with you that the Soviets took the games between club teams more seriously than NHL teams did.
Not a strawman, an example. And if you agree with me that the Soviets took those games more seriously then the NHL players did I don't see any issue between us

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:19 PM
  #64
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Not a strawman, an example. And if you agree with me that the Soviets took those games more seriously then the NHL players did I don't see any issue between us
The issue is that you are claiming that North Americans didn't try as hard in the Canada Cups and early World Cup, which is clearly false.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:39 PM
  #65
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Not a strawman, an example. And if you agree with me that the Soviets took those games more seriously then the NHL players did I don't see any issue between us
This is a revisioned and very inaccurate description of how much NHL teams and Canadas national team tried to win. This was extremely important to the players and staff, not to mention fans. In later times people like you has surfaced, spreading this garbage that they didn't care.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 11:07 AM
  #66
Boxscore
#oldNHL
 
Boxscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1974-94
Posts: 6,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
1. '76-'77 Montreal Canadiens AINEC
This or 1983 Islanders.

Boxscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:00 PM
  #67
Peter9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
The Montreal Canadiens of 1955-56. That team played in the first NHL game I ever saw live, as a 12-year-old in late 1955 at Maple Leaf Gardens. Even captain and former all-star defenseman Emile "Butch" Bouchard--who, as Canadiens1958 pointed out earlier in this thread, played only sporadically that season, which was his last--took to the ice that night. I also saw that team play on television. They usually completely dominated their competition, and the competition was pretty good.

Other teams in the late 1950s Canadiens dynasty were of similar caliber, and I remember that some Canadiens personnel considered the 1959-60 team even stronger. But no other Canadiens team of that dynasty managed to gain as many points over the regular season. With 100 points, they led a still superb second place Red Wings team, which won the the regular season title the following season, by 24 points. And that 1955-56 Canadiens team beat that superb Red Wings team 4 games to 1 in the Stanley Cup finals after topping the Rangers by the same margin in the opening series.

The superstars were Jean Beliveau at center, Maurice Richard and Bernie Geoffrion at right wing, Doug Harvey on defense and Jacques Plante in goal. They were joined by veterans Dickie Moore, soon to be a superstar at left wing, Bert Olmstead, second all-star team left winger who set a regular season assists record, Floyd Curry, extremely reliable on right wing, Kenny Mosdell, just off two all-star years at center, Tom Johnson, second all-star team defenseman and future first all-star and Norris Trophy winner, and reliable defender Dollard St. Laurent. The team was a fine balance of veteran and young talent. Three of its rookies went on to earn first all-star team honors in later seasons--Henri Richard, who became a great star at center, Jean-Guy Talbot on defense and Claude Provost at right wing. Rounding it out were defenseman Bouchard, rookie Bob Turner on defense, left-winger Don Marshall, a top utility man, and Jackie LeClair, a fast-skating center.

Peter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:44 PM
  #68
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 26,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter9 View Post
The Montreal Canadiens of 1955-56. That team played in the first NHL game I ever saw live, as a 12-year-old in late 1955 at Maple Leaf Gardens....
That mustve' been a treat. Maple Leaf Gardens in 1955 before Ballard gutted the place, taking down the Queens picture, adding balconies & jamming in the seats... too bad Toronto wasnt exactly lighting it up that season. Cast of characters including the inimitable Joe Klukay. Bashin Billy Burega. The entirely forgettable Ray Gariepy. Believe goalie Gilles Mayer got a few games in when Ed Chadwick got injured or performed poorly... looks like Red Wings Trainer Lefty Wilson even filled in one time when one of them got knocked out. Cold... yep... Larry Cahan, Bob Bailey.... It really is a wonder Richard, Beliveau, Plante & company got outta there in one piece Peter.


Last edited by Killion: 10-11-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 01:11 AM
  #69
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
The '77 Habs dominated, for sure... but it was during the most watered down era the NHL has ever xperienced, at least since WWII. For that same reason, I discount pretty much all of the '70's teams. That's not to say that the '70's Canadiens, Bruins and Flyers shouldn't be considered, but the '56 Canadiens probably takes it.

HM also to the '84 Oilers, the '02 Wings and the '82 Isles, the '92 Penguins and since this is the history section, probably some prehistoric Canadiens or Bruins squad with Morenz or Shore on them.
A lot of people are blown away by the point totals those Montreal teams put up, and with good reason. But Philly, Boston, and the Islanders were also pushing 120 points in some of those seasons. A lot of people would probably be surprised to learn that the 1979 team didn't finish 1st overall.

It's incredible how unbalanced the league was in the late 70's. The '76 Bruins lost just 15 out of 80 and only finished in 3rd place...a 48-win Buffalo team was 5th the next year, 21 points clear of 6th place LA...A 19-win Colorado Rockies finished 2nd in the Smythe in '78...If you check out the standings during the 4-year reign of the Habs, you'll notice that there were typically only six teams within 10 games of .500, either way. Feast or famine just about everywhere. This isn't a knock on the Habs, just some interesting observations.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 01:32 AM
  #70
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 16,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
A lot of people are blown away by the point totals those Montreal teams put up, and with good reason. But Philly, Boston, and the Islanders were also pushing 120 points in some of those seasons. A lot of people would probably be surprised to learn that the 1979 team didn't finish 1st overall.

It's incredible how unbalanced the league was in the late 70's. The '76 Bruins lost just 15 out of 80 and only finished in 3rd place...a 48-win Buffalo team was 5th the next year, 21 points clear of 6th place LA...A 19-win Colorado Rockies finished 2nd in the Smythe in '78...If you check out the standings during the 4-year reign of the Habs, you'll notice that there were typically only six teams within 10 games of .500, either way. Feast or famine just about everywhere. This isn't a knock on the Habs, just some interesting observations.
In the case specifically of 1976-77 Montreal, it was a horribly unbalanced league, but they still annihilated everyone and everything. They led the league in scoring by 66 goals, allowed the fewest by 22 goals, and led in overall goal differential by over 100 (+216, compared to Philadelphia's +110). 2nd in power play percentage, 1st in the penalty kill. Even in the context of the times, 1976-77 Montreal was incredibly impressive.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:16 AM
  #71
Peter9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
That mustve' been a treat. Maple Leaf Gardens in 1955 before Ballard gutted the place, taking down the Queens picture, adding balconies & jamming in the seats... too bad Toronto wasnt exactly lighting it up that season. Cast of characters including the inimitable Joe Klukay. Bashin Billy Burega. The entirely forgettable Ray Gariepy. Believe goalie Gilles Mayer got a few games in when Ed Chadwick got injured or performed poorly... looks like Red Wings Trainer Lefty Wilson even filled in one time when one of them got knocked out. Cold... yep... Larry Cahan, Bob Bailey.... It really is a wonder Richard, Beliveau, Plante & company got outta there in one piece Peter.
Not one of the better Leafs teams, I'll grant you that, Killion, but you're scraping the bottom of the barrel and making the Leafs look a lot worse than they actually were. Yes, it was a treat, as I've described on this board before: everyone dressed to the nines for the game, the live band, the tremendously exciting atmosphere, the famous gondola dangling over the ice with Foster Hewitt stowed away inside, the whole ceremonial pomp of the thing. Conn Smythe knew how to put on a show. All lost to history now.

My father and I had, courtesy of one of his real estate clients who was a season ticket holder, seats at center ice in the blues, the second section up, my preferred location for watching a game. The reds were closest to the ice at $4.50 per ticket, then the blues at $3.50, then the greens at $2.50, and then, way up there, the greys at $1.25. Those ticket prices are from memory; they may not be precisely right, but they're pretty close.

Peter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 11:51 AM
  #72
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 26,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter9 View Post
Not one of the better Leafs teams, I'll grant you that, Killion, but you're scraping the bottom of the barrel and making the Leafs look a lot worse than they actually were.
Yeah, denigrating my team, and as a lifetime Leaf fan that would be my prerogative Peter. They did make the Playoffs' that year but alas knocked out early. The franchise was as you know re-building at that time, a lot of interesting players filling their roster before Imlach's arrival which coincided with the coming of age of several cornerstone players combined with the acquisition of others through trades which carried them through the late 50's & our last Cup in 67. They were at least competitive, which when combined with the Pomp & Ceremony of that era in Toronto at the Gardens did indeed make for a special treat, memories that win lose or draw, good or bad teams and treasured all through our lives.... Ed Chadwick for example a solid goaltender with some great moments at the NHL level, more brilliant however in the AHL with Buffalo at a time when pro hockey was struggling in Western New York. Old Ed was in fact one of my earliest Goalie Coaches so though I may josh, lots of respect & admiration for the guy. As for the others? I just like sayin their names. Obscure. Arcane. Klukay. Bashin Billy Burega. Gilles (perhaps a cousin of Louis B.?) Mayer....

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2014, 11:34 AM
  #73
bobholly39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,307
vCash: 500
What's the greatest team in NHL History? Single season teams

What's the greatest NHL team ever assembled? For criteria, i think the simplest of all would be - who is the most likely to win?

To avoid too much era controversy, i'm not necessarily asking who would win if you put the 85 Oilers against the 2014 Kings - the game having gotten a ton more physical since 85 and the 85' athletes not having access to the same training/advantages as today's athlete, a more modern team might be harder to contend with.

So let's instead look in a given year. In a given year, which team was most likely to win? Easy guesses would be any team part of dynasties (so Oilers, Isles, Habs)...but someone may also pick a team who just had one great year (consider the 2013 Blackhawks?) - or maybe even a team who *should* have won but failed to do so (92-93 penguins?).

So - who wins the award. If you have to pick the greatest team ever assembled - the team most likely to win in a season, who would it be, and why?

bobholly39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2014, 12:56 PM
  #74
Thenameless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
For me it would be between 76-77 Habs, 86-87 Oilers, and 92-93 Penguins. With the Penguins a little behind the other two unless Lemieux's life was on the line.

Thenameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2014, 01:17 PM
  #75
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenameless View Post
For me it would be between 76-77 Habs, 86-87 Oilers, and 92-93 Penguins. With the Penguins a little behind the other two unless Lemieux's life was on the line.
How could a team that didn't even make the Conference finals be one of the greatest single-season teams of all time?

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.