HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Draft: Want/Got

Old
07-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Stephen23

vCash: 500
Draft: Want/Got

Hey Guys, I was just looking back on past drafts and recalling who I had hoped we had got on the day. And thinking if that was a good thing in 20/20 hindsight. I will also ask if you guys are happy with the result. I hope you guys keep in mind of where we were drafting at the time, or just keep it accurate to how you were feeling at the time.

2013:
Got: Frederik Gauthier
Wanted: Curtis Lazar or Anthony Mantha (Hunter Shinkaruk when he was falling)
Happy?: Yes, after doing some research on Gauthier and when Curtis and Anthony were off the table.

2012:
Got: Morgan Rielly
Wanted: Filip Forsberg or Alex Galchenyuk
Happy?: Yes, didn't feel we needed a defenseman, but accepted it right away. Now I see how elite Morgan can become and I am ecstatic with this selection.

2011:
Got: Tyler Biggs and Stuart Percy
Wanted: Mark McNeill and Matt Puempel
Happy?: Yes, McNeill didn't fall to us and I was going with Puempel based on pre-draft hype. I don't think he will develop into the force he was hyped up to be. I was happy with Biggs falling to us, but was slightly dissapointed with the Percy pick right away. Now I am happy with both selections as I think Biggs can become a power forward with us, and Percy a very smart d-man.

2010: N/A
Got:
Wanted:
Happy?:

2009:
Got: Nazem Kadri
Wanted: Brayden Schenn (or possibly Zack Kassian)
Happy?: Yes. I was dissapointed when we didn't get Schenn and when we drafted Kadri. But I quickly turned around. Now I am very pleased to have Kadri with the blue and white.

2008:
Got: Luke Schenn
Wanted: Cody Hodgson
Happy?: Ecstatic! The start of our re-build. I didn't think we had a shot at Luke, I was obsessed with this pick and Schenner after we made the trade/selection . I would think about how he would be a career Leaf and how we had drafted our future captain. I still love Schenner even though we traded him, but I am even more pleased with JVR in our lineup.

2007:
Got: Vesa Toskala (trade)
Wanted: Logan Couture
Happy?: No. I was so mad when traded our pick. Just because it was on the day of the draft moreso than who we traded it for. Now I am mad because of who we traded it for. I had wanted to draft Logan Couture (ideally Voracek because of Halifax ties, but knew he had no chance of falling to us). Having said that, all the mock drafts had us taking Zach Hamill, so I am glad that didn't happen.

2006:
Got: Jiri Tlusty
Wanted: James Sheppard or Bryan Little
Happy?: Indifferent. I remember a lot of mocks had us taking Chris Stewart, which I didn't like at the time. I would have liked that too. Never considered Bernier, but I would have been happy if we had drafted him too. Either way, I was ok with Tlusty, had just hoped that Sheppard would fall to us. His career hasn't been very noteworthy thus far

2005:
Got: Tukka Rask
Wanted: Andrew Cogliano (or Kendal McArdle)
Happy?: Meh. The Raycroft completely diminished any happiness I could have had with this selection )

That's about as far back as I had really paid attention when the Leafs were drafting in the first round. Overall I had some hits in my projections (Couture and Hodgson) and some misses (McArdle and Sheppard). How did you guys fare?

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Ty rattieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:58 PM
hdtrax

Wanted: Mantha, Lazar or Rychel

Wanted: Galchenyuk, Forsberg or Grigorenko

Wanted: Jenner and Puempel

Wanted: those 2 firsts and a second back (at the time)

Wanted: Schenn or Paajarvi (glad that worked out)

Wanted: Pietrangelo (no chance though) or Hodgson

Wanted: Couture or Perron

Wanted: Stewart or Bernier

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
2013: Rychel, Erne, Shinkaruk
2012: Forsberg
2011: Jenner and Rattie

Before then I didn't put much effort into draft research.

Duke Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:06 PM
AuraSphere

2013:
Wanted: Hunter Shinkaruk
Happy?: No

2012:
Wanted: Grigorenko

2011:
Wanted: Zack Phillips and Tomas Jurco
Happy?: No I'm pissed off

AuraSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:06 PM
AuraSphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
2013:
Wanted: Hunter Shinkaruk

2012:
Wanted: Grigorenko

2011:
Wanted: Zack Phillips and Tomas Jurco
Happy?: No I'm pissed off
Sorry I meant yes i'm happy for the Rielly thing ahha

AuraSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:10 PM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

Every single year everyone wants the flashy forward.
Filatov, Forsberg, MPS, Grigorenko

Trust our scouts to pick the right guys. They did pretty well with Kadri.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:41 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

2013: I wanted a lot of the players. It would've been hard to disappoint me and I turned out happy. It's easier to list the players I didn't want. Hartmann, Dickenson, Bailey. I didn't think guys like MacCarron or Poirier would've factored in so close to us, and I would've been disappointed with them.

2012: I had Grigorenko and Galchenyuk high on my list. But I really liked Rielly, just didn't think much about him as I feel we had a great shot at a 1C. I would've been upset with Forsberg or Trouba, at the time.

2011: This was a year like 2013 to me. We had 3 good picks and I liked a lot of players. What I wanted to do was take 2 utility/gritty guys and one bust/boom. Precisely what I wanted was Jenner/Saad at 25, then Phillips/Rattie at 30, then Ritchie/Biggs/Lowry/Ambroz at 39, in their listed order. I lol at myself now about wanting Ambroz. I'm meh on this draft. I love Biggs, but it seems this time I may have been right. Had the draft gone my way, with my list, we'd have Jenner at 25, Rattie at 30 and Saad at 39. I never thought Saad would fall that far.

2010: I was very happy with Kessel. Still am.

2009: I wanted to move up for Schenn, like a lot of people. But at 7 I was hoping for Cowen. I was a bit shocked with Kadri, but I saw him live that year and always came away amazed. It was his consensus draft profile that put him off my radar. He seemed labelled a 2C with a bit of bust potential, where I saw Cowen as at least a great 2D, with all star 1D potential, and I salivated at the thought of Cowen - Schenn destroying Crosby - Malkin for years. To me it was a fight fire with fire strategy. But with 2 shutdown D's instead of 2 allstar C's. I'm obviously happy today with Kadri, and was optimistic then, while being somewhat shocked. But I learned a long time ago to trust the pros. If your right and they were wrong, it was lucky.

2008: I wanted to move up for Filatov or Pietrangelo, in that order. I'm glad I didn't get to make the call, I had Filatov at 3 and Pietrangelo at 4. But I was happy with Schenn, as I had him at 6. I still think Schenn will round out to be a great 2D. I love the kid, and hope the best for him. Always had a soft spot for tough D. Scott Stevens was my favourite non-leaf.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:46 PM
holden57

2011 I wanted Jenner and/or Saad. I would still love those guys over Biggs+Percy.

holden57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:50 PM
The Hockey Life
HF Boards Partner

Really wanted Shinkaruk this year. Think management will regret not picking him down the road. We really don't have any dynamic wingers in our system like Shinkaruk, but we certainly have a lot of defensive centreman (Colborne, McClement). Plus it would have been cool to see Shinkaruk and Kessel do an interview together...they are both so awkward haha

The Hockey Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:58 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Life View Post
Really wanted Shinkaruk this year. Think management will regret not picking him down the road. We really don't have any dynamic wingers in our system like Shinkaruk, but we certainly have a lot of defensive centreman (Colborne, McClement). Plus it would have been cool to see Shinkaruk and Kessel do an interview together...they are both so awkward haha
Colborne isn't a defensive center, IMO. But if your counting NHL players as a counterpoint to drafting Gauthier, we have Kessel, Lupul and JVR. I think Gauthier answered a much greater need then Shinkaruk can. But BPA was HS, IMO.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:07 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

2013:
Wanted: Hunter Shinkaruk or Morgan Klimchuk
Happy?: Yes, I think Gauthier could end up being a great 3rd line C that can step up into the #2 spot when needed. Going to be an important piece going forward. I am concerned about his offensive potential, but hoping he takes a big step forward in that department this season.

2012:
Wanted: Filip Forsberg or Mikhail Grigorenko (Gally too but I assumed he'd be picked by the Habs)
Happy?: Yes, Rielly was my favourite dmen in that draft. His injury concerned me a bit but hes talent excited me so much.

2011:
Wanted: Matt Puempel and John Gibson
Happy?: Fine with Biggs over Puempel as I love his character and what he brings, but I really wish we got Gibson

2009:
Wanted: Brayden Schenn if he fell and otherwise I think I wanted MPS
Happy?: Yes, I'm a Knights fan so I knew how skilled Kadri was and the edge he brings.I did have some concerns though. He didnt always give his all out there every night and was a bit of puck hog which lead to a lot of turnovers.

2008:
Wanted: Nikita Filatov
Happy?: At first I was neutral. What the scouts had to say about him excited me, but I really wanted Filatov. Now I'm very happy that we didn't take Filatov lol

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Moral of this thread.

Everyone on HF continue to be keyboard warriors.

Everyone in the Leafs management, continue doing your job.

Eb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Cor
Former LL Member

vCash: 50
Cool Topic Choice.

2006:
Want: Bryan Little
Got: Jiri Tlusty
Considering I live in Barrie, I was a huge Little fan. Was devastated when he got picked before us.

2007:
Want: Alex Plante
Got: Vesa Toskala (trade)
At the time of the draft, I loved this kid. Big bodied kid, and wanted him to be apart of our future. I won't pretend to be a genious and say I wanted Couture, or Perron.

2008:
Want: Tyler Myers
Indifferent about this. I was a sucker for Myers size, who wouldn't be?

2009:
Want: Nazem Kadri
Loved this pick from the get go. Knew it was going to be Glennie or Kadri, and glad we got Nazem.

2010:
Want: At #2 would have taken Seguin.
Got: Phil Kessel (trade)
I'm still a huge supporter of this trade. I love Kessel.

2011:
Want: At #9 I was hoping for Mark Scheifele.
Got: Phil Kessel (trade)
Like I said, I am from Barrie. Scheifele would have been unreal to have on our team.

2012:
Want: Alex Galchenyuk
Ecstatic. I think Rielly has the potential to be the best player to come from this draft.

2013:
Want: Hunter Shinkaruk or Anthony Mantha
Got: Fredrik Gauthier
Was devastated when we picked Gauthier with Hunter on the board. However, I am starting to warm up to the pick.

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 05:27 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Gauthier, Shinkaruk and Rychel were the 3 I had interest in.

Tyler Biggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 05:39 AM
416Leafer

Wanted: Lazar or Wennberg. OR to trade down and take Dauphin + one of Santini/Jarry/Compher/etc

Wanted: Galchenyuk (though i thought it was unrealistic). @5 I wanted Rielly or Forsberg.

Wanted: McNeil and Gibson

Wanted: .....

Wanted: Hodson, Wilson, or Myers. Didnt like the move to trade up, but ultimately we got JvR which is pretty great

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:50 AM
bobbyflex

Boone Jenner in '11. This kid's gonna be good

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote