HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs re-sign Colton Orr [2 years/$925k per]

Old
06-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Looney Toonies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Then you should just leave the thread because the answer you are looking for is way over your head.

Have you ever seen Chara in a fight? Have you ever seen Chara throw a punch? He doesn't fight, he ragdolls peoples, that would be pretty hard to do against Orr. And in the occasion that Chara does drop the gloves, he has already dont his job.

Orr did do "fine" with Kadri. Kadri put up consistent numbers with whoever he was playing with. But you know what the beauty of it all is? Orr doesn't play on the second or third line, he plays on the fourth line. We HAVE skilled players to play with Kadri so we put Orr on the fourth line to protect everyone on the team.

No one said it had everything to do with Colton Orr, it is you who made that assumption and who is looking ignorant claiming that Colton Orr and our enforcers had nothing to do with the resurgence and physical style hockey of the Toronto Maple Leafs. If I go into the Komarov thread I probably would see you in there saying "good riddance" to him because he doesn't score. I bet he had nothing to do with the resurgence of the Leafs either eh?
If I could like/and 1 this I would. Everything you said here should silence the Orr haters.

Looney Toonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:13 PM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by peety16 View Post
Oh and if you're looking for our enforcer from the late nineties and early 2000's, hopefully a name like Tie Domi will sound familiar...or perhaps Belak?
Tie Domi scored 13 goals in 2000/2001 and 15 goals in 2002/2003. Colton Orr has 12 goals in his entire career.

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Stats to back that up please. And what was the winning% this year with Orr in the lineup, and then when he fights, THIS YEAR. The whole team was abysmal the last 4 years (save this year)
Yea, The thing is people complaining about Orr playing 75 games being a handicap for Toronto is kinda absurd. When you consider that he plays a hand full of minutes a night gets no special teams minutes and does what he has to do. I don't see how he really has a chance to hamper the team. He's worked on his skating though it's not fantastic it's not as bad as it was when he was in New York or even his first while in Toronto, it's good to see he's working on his game and I have no problem with him playing as many games as he can on the 4th line.

His job is to intimidate and he does it well, Not as much a beast as he once was but still one of the leagues most feared fighters imo.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Drop The Mits
Dinger Derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
Here are the stats: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ching#comments

Pretty damning. Guy is a bad hockey player who hurts the team when he's on the ice. I've got no problem with fighters but I need them to be decent players as well. Orr is one of the worst hockey players in the league.
It's easy to pull out stats using the collective last 4 years when the team has been absolute **** the past 4 years, so ya know, the stats won't exactly match up in Orr's favour. I'd be curious to see every other player on the rosters "winning percentage" when they have, and have not played in the last 4 years. I can assure that it won't be good.

Which is why I asked for the stats for this year.

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:17 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Shawn Thornton can actually score. I agree that the Leafs need to get tougher, but the answer to that isn't to just play some one-dimensional enforcer 75 games a season.
I don't think you understand the psychology of hockey, the game is predicated on emotion, intimidation, team dynamics.

If you do not understand hockey goes beyond simple goals and assists, not that any 4th liner is counted to score goals in the NHL, even Thornton is not. Then you will not understand what this moment meant to the Leafs and the return to respectability. It's about attitude, it's about swagger, it's about having your skilled players feel comfortable someone has their backs. You simply do not understand good teams have intangible players that make a difference because you are tunnel visioned into 4th liners scoring goals. When none really do.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Tie Domi scored 13 goals in 2000/2001 and 15 goals in 2002/2003. Colton Orr has 12 goals in his entire career.
Tie Domi also played almost twice as much a night. Belak is a better comparable to Orr.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Wouldn't that align with a $1 Million salary? He's getting paid the same money we're still paying Darcy Tucker.
There is something called opportunity cost....

Old
The Blue Devil

Quote:
I don't think anyone is really underrating Biggs in his playing aspect per se (except for the "Biggs is 4th line" guy) but more so his fighting ability. Yes he can toss the mitts but I wouldn't want him fighting the middles of the league regularly. He needs to be eased in on the third line and get his feet wet in the fighting department.
People are under-rating him by saying his ceiling is that of a 3rd line player.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Well at least we know it will be another plug bottom six and typical Carlyle line matching. So creative.
typical Carlyle "playoff calibre" line matching.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Drop The Mits
Dinger Derby

Quote:
Well then. Now that you've brought your personal and completely relevant example into this discussion, I might as well leave the thread as you suggested.

Do your experiences apply to baseball also? The Jays could use some help.
How is it not relevant? I played a high, competitive, physical sport and I provided an anecdotal piece of evidence as to how a person who sticks up for their teammates will create comradery and confidence within said team. It is nothing quantifiable and you and others in this thread are too obtuse to see the affect that Orr/McLaren/Fraser have on this team.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Ugh, seriously?

Good for Colton Orr but I'm obviously not a fan of the signing. I guess it will be more of MacLaren and Orr on the 4th line doing basically nothing.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
It's easy to pull out stats using the collective last 4 years when the team has been absolute **** the past 4 years, so ya know, the stats won't exactly match up in Orr's favour. I'd be curious to see every other player on the rosters "winning percentage" when they have, and have not played in the last 4 years. I can assure that it won't be good.

I am pretty sure you don't understand how stats work.

The Leafs record with Colton Orr in the lineup is worse than it is without him in the lineup. Further, when he fights, the Leafs record is even worse.

For someone who likes to rip on other posters, it'd be nice if you just answered the simple question of how those stats are possible if Orr apparently makes us better. No personal anecdotes allowed.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
skacore

Hate to be "that guy" but I always find the anti-fighting ones are guys who played very little hockey growing up, haha

skacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:24 PM
SnazzyNazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Well at least we know it will be another plug bottom six and typical Carlyle line matching. So creative.
Yep, Carlyle and his boring old playoffs, so boring man.

Quote:
Those are my only two options?

I watched our team from 1993 to 2004, when we were some of the most consistent outfits around (save for the Mike Murphy years). Any idea who our enforcers were then?
Care to answer the question? Who'd you rather have playing 3-6 minutes a night?

SnazzyNazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Drop The Mits
Dinger Derby

Orr signed 2 years 925K per McKenzie

Old
06-13-2013, 04:27 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Shawn Thornton can actually score. I agree that the Leafs need to get tougher, but the answer to that isn't to just play some one-dimensional enforcer 75 games a season.
Shawn Thornton saw pretty much no time at all in 3 OT's. That pretty much shows how well respected his scoring prowess is.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:30 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

that's awesome! great news! I thought he was excellent for us this yr and played well against Boston too. happy to see him coming back

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:32 PM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by skacore View Post
Hate to be "that guy" but I always find the anti-fighting ones are guys who played very little hockey growing up, haha
I'm not anti-fighting at all; I want a hockey player who can do more than just fight.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by skacore View Post
Agree with you. People who haven't played don't understand the difference it makes. Just the feeling of being the bully instead of the victim when you have those types of guys on your team can make a huge difference.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyNazzy View Post

Care to answer the question? Who'd you rather have playing 3-6 minutes a night?
Anyone who can score 7 points in a season.

Old
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
The leafs have a worse winning % with Orr in the lineup than when he sits over the last 4 years. When he fights, their winning % is even lower. Once again, what exactly is he doing for us? I thought we were trying to win games?
The Leafs made the playoffs for the 1st time in 9 years with the 9th best record this year with Colton playing in 44/48 games, this same team is also the one with the most fighting majors, the same team who was the only one to bring Boston to 7 games so far. So can you tell us again how bad our win% with him was?

Old
06-13-2013, 04:36 PM
shaner89

If McLearn is back as we'll this team and organization has learned absolutely nothing. 2 useless plugs

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:39 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Anyone who can score 7 points in a season.
Is that a 44 game season or 82?

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Blue Devil

Quote:

By that same token we should trade Kessel immediately.

Old
JimLaheyprobert

All the Orr haters can leave this thread now lol. Fact is he is one of the best in the league at his job, he intimidates guys just from sitting on the bench and he allows our skilled guys to play a foot taller. Love the signing by the leafs, now hopefully we can get Mclaren and Fraser also and we can retain our identity as one of the tougher teams in the nhl.

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote