HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ron Hainsey

Old
06-13-2013, 04:12 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everbeast

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Ron Hainsey

He's a UFA defenseman I haven't seen many talk about. 32 years old, and is coming off a contract where he had a 4.5M cap hit. Any idea what he's going to be looking at in free agency?

Just looking at Winnipeg's ice time distribution, he seems to have been used in a mainly defensive role the last two years, and hasn't scored a goal since 2011. I know when he was younger he was an offensive guy, but with Byfuglien, Enstrom, and Bogosion, I'd imagine PP time was harder to come by these last few years.

He just seems like one of the few top 4 defenseman about to hit the market and I haven't heard much about him. Is he just not that good anymore?

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Duke749
Formerly "BigTuna49"

vCash: 361
Could be a solid #4 on a tweener team. I imagine he'll want at least $4 per for 4-5 years(as it'll be his last big contract). If he wanted to take a discount and do something around $3.5 for a contender and be their #5 guy, that'd be a great situation for that team if they could pull it off.

Duke749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Thesaurus
Lyrical Wordsmith

vCash: 500
He had a decent season last year, blocked a lot of shots but he would blatantly make a bonehead play every game it seemed so I'm not too sad to see him go. I would guess he gets a 2 year deal somewhere in the $3-3.5 million range, he could slot in as a 4th defense man and log solid minutes but don't expect much else from him.

Thesaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:33 PM
caley

I can't remember where I heard/read this (I want to say Hockey Central, but it could have been the Hot Stove or a random reporter's twitter feed), but I've heard/read that Philadelphia is believed to be very interested in him.

06-13-2013, 04:50 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
His offense has really evaporated, its almost pathetic watching him try to one time it. That being said he isn't too bad distributing the puck. Good shutdown guy.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 06:45 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke89 View Post
Could be a solid #4 on a tweener team. I imagine he'll want at least $4 per for 4-5 years(as it'll be his last big contract). If he wanted to take a discount and do something around $3.5 for a contender and be their #5 guy, that'd be a great situation for that team if they could pull it off.
Any team paying their #5 Dman (i.e. a bottom pairing guy) $3.5 million, especially on a $64 million cap, will be in a lot of cap trouble.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Che vy Teemuchuk

He can play both left and right sides. He's a very versatile guy who logged a lot of tough minutes for Jets the past 2 seasons. He's not a make or break player, but he's the sort that becomes invaluable to good teams that need a really good 4/5 guy. He's not overly physical, but he's a blood and guts guy. Blocks shots, kills penalties, and takes tough matchups, but ideally wouldn't have the toughest defensive assignments all the time. Wouldn't need sheltering though. He can be used in all situations, but any offense he may have had died a painful death before he arrived in Wpg.

He was never lower than our #4 during his time here. With all the injuries we've had over the 2 years, he's often been our #3 D-man, and not rare for him to be the #2. He shouldn't be underestimated or poo-pooed by any fanbase who wants just a solid, no frills NHL guy on their blueline.

Che vy Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Caniac125330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vander Teemuchuk View Post
He can play both left and right sides. He's a very versatile guy who logged a lot of tough minutes for Jets the past 2 seasons. He's not a make or break player, but he's the sort that becomes invaluable to good teams that need a really good 4/5 guy. He's not overly physical, but he's a blood and guts guy. Blocks shots, kills penalties, and takes tough matchups, but ideally wouldn't have the toughest defensive assignments all the time. Wouldn't need sheltering though. He can be used in all situations, but any offense he may have had died a painful death before he arrived in Wpg.

He was never lower than our #4 during his time here. With all the injuries we've had over the 2 years, he's often been our #3 D-man, and not rare for him to be the #2. He shouldn't be underestimated or poo-pooed by any fanbase who wants just a solid, no frills NHL guy on their blueline.
Sounds like he'd be a good fit in Carolina. Are you guys definitely letting him walk?

Caniac125330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:22 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

Pretty good...just watch out for his ass though. It has a wicked richochet.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:23 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Good luck to the team that drastically over pays him

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Che vy Teemuchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac125330 View Post
Sounds like he'd be a good fit in Carolina. Are you guys definitely letting him walk?
We cannot resign him. If we did our Jets section of HF would implode and destroy the entire internet.

We have polarizing figures on the Jets. Pavs. Buff. Burmi. But none compare to the disagreements over The Ron. I'm not a hater and I've been extremely grateful for the service he's given us as he transitioned to what the franchise needed him to be - a versatile shut down role guy.

But he has haters from his own fanbase unlike any mid-range D man in the entire league. $4 mil is toooo much. But he might get it. Then he'd likely be a 3rd/4th D on a less than stellar blueline and will be forced to play more major minutes than ideal. The Ron would be better suited to playing a 4/5 Johnny Oduya Blackhawks era (on a $4 mil / year contract) than be a straight up top 4 guy. And he was better for the Jets than Oduya ever was.

Che vy Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:05 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

Number 6 in the program...number 1 in our hearts.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

vCash: 827
Wouldn't mind the Wild taking a shot at him for a year or two. His skills are diminishing but he'd still be an upgrade over Stoner or Falk on the 2nd pairing.

Billy Mays Here* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:14 AM
Bryzard of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I can't remember where I heard/read this (I want to say Hockey Central, but it could have been the Hot Stove or a random reporter's twitter feed), but I've heard/read that Philadelphia is believed to be very interested in him.
I don't see why they would be,he'd just be redundant with Coburn, Grossmann, and Schenn back there already. They need PMD, something that Hainsey definitely is not.

Bryzard of Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:48 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

He scores six goals a game I'm surprised he's not generating more attention

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:15 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Philadelphia is interested in every free agent defender

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:53 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Hainsey was the players rep at a lot of difficult CBA meetings and was apparently vocal. I don't know how that will affect his market value. He is thirty two and his offense has dried up. I think there are better options for teams looking for a top four guy. He is def paid top four dollars but will have to accept less unless he can force a bidding war.

I am thinking he's worth about 2-2.5 million a year for two years.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:07 AM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Number 6 in the program...number 1 in our hearts.
And number 8 on your depth chart

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:17 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

He won't get a pay cut from the $4.5/yr he's already made.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:14 AM
almostawake

He's going to get paid. Barring any crazy unforeseen buyouts, Hainsey will be one of the three most sought after Defencemen in UFA.

I'm reluctant to speculate on per season cap hit because at his age the contract length is going to be a huge consideration for him. For example, on a two year deal I'm sure he'd be looking for 5M per, but for him a 4+ year at 4M per would be much more desirable.

In any case, the guy is going to get paid. When the dust settles and a team signs him, I cannot imagine their fans will be touting it as some sort of bargain.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:28 AM
TSA0402

I'm sorry but what exactly has Hainsey done to increase or at least maintain his value from his previous cash in?

He almost scored 10 goals/35 points and played decent defense when he cashed in last time with Columbus and this was during his prime years.

He hasn't scored a goal in two seasons with Winnipeg and is 32 years old.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:00 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
The cap has gone up, and trust me this guy is going to bargain hard.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:20 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

But he negotiates goals like no one else.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:26 PM
binx bolling

Quote:

Philly wants all the players.

binx bolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:40 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
And number 8 on your depth chart
Whoa whoa...lets not go crazy now. Ideally he's a 5.