Notices

What an incredible run it's been

Old
06-12-2013, 08:41 AM
BrainOfJ
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 500
What an incredible run it's been

Tonight our boys start a battle for their second cup in three years after going 39 long years without one. While the anticipation is high for tonight, lets look back at what's gone on the last two seasons since that amazing cup run in 2011 or even further back from then. During the Dave Lewis years, I never would have thought I'd be watching a team that plays like this current Bruins team has played over the last few years. Starting back in the 2008 playoffs, we could see that this team was beginning to have some potential. Savvy's game 3 OT goal, Marco Sturm's GWG in game 6 against Montreal, the Bruins were getting themselves back to being relevant in a city that had seemed to focus on their more successful teams(sox, pats, celts).

In 08-09 we saw that young team blossum and come together. Finally, we had a team that was good and tough to play against. In 2 years we went from bottom of the northeast to top of the eastern conference, and while that team was such a joy to watch, they had their flaws and the run came to an end, but really, had just begun.

2010 saw it's ups and it's downs, we parted ways with some familiar faces, and developed some new faces to build a franchise upon. Tuukka Rask showed us a glimpse of what he could be, but the most important part of this year, was the adversity they faced. I truly still believe that the loss to the Flyers was a turning point for the better with this franchise, even if it was impossible to see at the time.

Then 2011 came, oh 2011. We saw the greatest goaltending performance in the history of the regular season, followed by the history of the postseason. We saw a team again, that was tough to play and tough to play against. We saw a team that faced serious adversity 3 times in 4 rounds and overcome that to bring a Stanley Cup back to Boston.

and now we sit here, ready to start our 2nd Stanley Cup final with a very very similar core. Was the regular season all we hoped it would be? Absolutely not. But we've seen this team sit down 4-1 with 10 minutes left in a game 7. Let me repeat that, we've seen the Boston Bruins. down 4-1 with 10 minutes left in game 7 of a playoff series and win. We saw this team make a Stanley Cup preseason favorite look like they didn't belong in the playoffs, we saw this team not allow a win to the playoff favorite for the Stanley Cup. We saw this team make hold the two greatest players in the game right now scoreless for 4 games. We saw this team down 4-1 in a game 7 win that game with 10 minutes left!

I love this Bruins team, let's keep this rolling boys, all we need is 4 more wins to add another chapter to some of the best years we've been able to enjoy as Bruins fans.

Cheers and let's go Bruins!

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Danton Heineken
Hot Carl Willis

It'll take some impressive management to keep this core together and develop the next round of supporting cast. Chiarelli has given us every reason to believe he can do it.

Danton Heineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Kovi

I Believe.

I never once gave up or cheered against my team.

This is a great ****ing roster with great management at the helm.

It has been a Hell of a **** ty Spring in Boston--we need this.

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Like you mentioned in your post it's not only about winning for me but about how the team came together in that 08-09 season. They've been so close and tight it's just something I had never seen in Boston in all of the Thornton years as captain

Let's go Bruins

WE WANT THE CUP

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
It'll take some impressive management to keep this core together and develop the next round of supporting cast. Chiarelli has given us every reason to believe he can do it.
I think these guys actually want to be together going forward and will make it happen, they proved it in game 7 against the Leafs.

Old
06-12-2013, 10:09 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Yep, if there is one thing that "appears" he is/has been more than on top of it`s the next group of kids coming through the system.

Wasn`t long ago many here said this team had nothing outside of Hamilton for defensive prospects...then Krug/Bartkowski made their appearance and suddenly, although a very small sample size, it looks like they will be just fine.

Up front, a bit early to say especially with Knight`s first season being so injury riddled, but Spooner looks about as ready as one can be, but no need to rush him.

Koko might be a gamer but I`ll suggest a year away, Seth Griffith might be something too?? Not dynamic but all it looks like the guy does is post numbers?? How that translates we shall see

Any way we cut it, merely a few years ago where I questioned whether or not Mngt in charge of this team were even aware they had a team in the AHL it seemed so neglected, now?? Chia clearly has his fingers on the pulse

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:11 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
I think these guys actually want to be together going forward and will make it happen, they proved it in game 7 against the Leafs.
I believe your right, the unfortunate part is that the Cap will, at some point force Chia to make a decision that won`t be easy, might be this summer re: Horton as Rask just gets more expensive with each save he makes

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I believe your right, the unfortunate part is that the Cap will, at some point force Chia to make a decision that won`t be easy, might be this summer re: Horton as Rask just gets more expensive with each save he makes
He will find a way, I'm not saying they will all be back but most of the players and the main core will. I believe Ference might be gone and then they can use some of the cash from the Savard Cap hit. Like I said if Horton really wants to stay here and I believe he does he will take a little less

Old
06-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Paddington

This definitely has been one helluva run. Coming into the season, I thought the Bruins had a leg up on most teams because they had very little turnover. Given the short training camp, that should have been an advantage because most guys already knew the system. Plus, because the Bruins had so many guys playing in Europe during the lockout, I figured they would be in mid-season form when they got back. However, key guys like Seguin, Lucic, and Horton stunk for either stretches or the entire regular season. The way this team stumbled and bumbled through the season, I thought they were a one-and-done group.

In the first round, the Bruins drew the Leafs and I thought, “Ok, this shouldn’t be too bad”. I thought the games were going to be close but Boston’s depth and experience was going to wear the Leafs down and it would be over in 6. There was also a side of me that thought all signs pointed to an upset. A poetic revenge for the Leafs. An opportunity to kill the beast that has haunted them for a few years now, and it nearly happened. From that point onward, this team has been machine-like. The 9-1 run that they have gone on surprises me, but it shouldn’t. This team can be unstoppable when it wants to be. When all cylinders are going, they can beat anybody…..and they have. All we need to do is look at that 2 month run they made last year when they steamrolled through the league. This team has it in them to go on a tear in long stretches. They also have it in them to give everybody a heart attack in the process. This year has been an emotional roller coaster not unlike 2011 when they went on that 6-0 road trip followed by a losing streak that saw them stumble into the playoffs. Hopefully, it ends the same way, with Gary Bettman handing the cup to Zdeno Chara.

Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

I can't articulate this as well as I want so bear with me.

This run has been incredible. It has helped me get through the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. It has also reaffirmed why I love this team.

This run reminds me of the Patriots in 2001, start to finish.

Tonight, we continue the process of taking back our city.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:07 PM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

A+ post, would read again.

JRull86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:22 PM
howaryuh

It's a good thing that things change, and the B's are as relevant as they have ever been since the early 70's. I remember so many long nights listening to B's game on the radio or internet alone, dark days they were.
So long as they stand up and play their best, my pride in being a B's fan will remain at it's current high level. This playoff run has been phenomenal!
Of course, winning would be over the top!

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Danton Heineken
Hot Carl Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
This run reminds me of the Patriots in 2001, start to finish.
What a great analogy. The Penguins really had a Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf" attitude to them. I never would have made that connection if you didn't just say it.

Danton Heineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Kiss My Rask
Enforce Boston

Great stuff BrainofJ! This has been so meaningful for this city

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:10 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

I have been a serious Bruins fan for 25 years now. The success the Bruins are enjoying now has been worth all the agony, frustration and disgust I experienced in team's darker days.

I love this team.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
What a great analogy. The Penguins really had a Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf" attitude to them. I never would have made that connection if you didn't just say it.
The similarities give me chills.

Pats rallied after 9/11 and were the underdog the entire playoffs. There were no superstars on that team either. 1st team to be announced as one.

Bruins have rallied after the Marathon Bombings. They have been the underdog for most of the playoffs, minus the Toronto series. The Bruins don't have flashy superstars and have a team first attitude. The entire team accepted the Prince of Wales trophy.

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:58 PM
schmautzy

Dave Lewis "years"?
Seemed like more than one.

schmautzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:18 PM
BrainOfJ
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmautzy View Post
Dave Lewis "years"?
Seemed like more than one.
good point

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:41 AM
bruinsden
PRO/BOS Bruins!!!

Not only the Bruins but how about this whole city. Theres been on average more than one trip to the "Final Four" per year since 2002, thats sick.

bruinsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:28 AM
chrisab123

The city needs something to cheer about after the marathon. Something as simple as winning a sporting event could bring joy to a city. Win it for them!!!

chrisab123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:35 AM
qc
#TeamClode

vCash: 69
Great post OP.

What a long strange trip it's been.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Lshap

I'm not a fan of the Bruins, but I've come to like many of you guys who root for them. It's nice to see so many of you embracing the experience of being in the SCF and enjoying the ride. Watching your team in that last hurdle to the Cup is an absolute blast, a frikkin heart-attack and a massive orgasm all wrapped into one, but it's something every real hockey fan deserves to have. And Bruins fans, if nothing else, are real hockey fans.

Yeah, last night was a loss, but be proud that your team gave all of us one of the most exciting hockey games I've ever seen. Best of luck!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:29 PM
nitric
German Engineering

Didn't Krejci recently say in an interview that everyone on the team "loves each other"?? Too Freaking cute They all want it for themselves, and each other. Also for Boston. No shame in losing to Chicago last night. This may be their toughest opponent they have faced in the playoffs for years, but you have to have faith they can overcome all of the obstacles in the way. They are resilient if nothing else. Go B's!!!

nitric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I'm not a fan of the Bruins, but I've come to like many of you guys who root for them. It's nice to see so many of you embracing the experience of being in the SCF and enjoying the ride. Watching your team in that last hurdle to the Cup is an absolute blast, a frikkin heart-attack and a massive orgasm all wrapped into one, but it's something every real hockey fan deserves to have. And Bruins fans, if nothing else, are real hockey fans.

Yeah, last night was a loss, but be proud that your team gave all of us one of the most exciting hockey games I've ever seen. Best of luck!
You, my friend, are a mensch.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitric View Post
Didn't Krejci recently say in an interview that everyone on the team "loves each other"?? Too Freaking cute They all want it for themselves, and each other. Also for Boston. No shame in losing to Chicago last night. This may be their toughest opponent they have faced in the playoffs for years, but you have to have faith they can overcome all of the obstacles in the way. They are resilient if nothing else. Go B's!!!
Yeah, it was really nice to hear that.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote