HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bolstering Edmonton's Roster

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2013, 07:26 PM
  #26
BigHabs
#11
 
BigHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,407
vCash: 500


Travis Moen
Yannick Weber(RFA)



3rd round pick
5th round pick
Theo Peckham(RFA)

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:32 PM
  #27
OnTheMcBrink
Registered User
 
OnTheMcBrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 3,297
vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post


Travis Moen
Yannick Weber(RFA)



3rd round pick
5th round pick
Theo Peckham(RFA)

Not overly interested in Moen would be more inclined if he were on a 1 or 2 year deal. What do you think Yannick Weber would be asking for term and money?

OnTheMcBrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:35 PM
  #28
BigHabs
#11
 
BigHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
Not overly interested in Moen would be more inclined if he were on a 1 or 2 year deal. What do you think Yannick Weber would be asking for term and money?
One way contract, probably nothing above 850k.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:45 PM
  #29
OnTheMcBrink
Registered User
 
OnTheMcBrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 3,297
vCash: 521
I would probably trade a 6th + Teubert or Plante's rights for him, would rather keep peckham as I think he would sign a 2 way deal.

OnTheMcBrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:13 PM
  #30
BigHabs
#11
 
BigHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
I would probably trade a 6th + Teubert or Plante's rights for him, would rather keep peckham as I think he would sign a 2 way deal.
I would do this for Weber.

Teubert would be a decent piece because of physicality. His stock and play has fell a bit but still an interesting piece.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:55 PM
  #31
OnTheMcBrink
Registered User
 
OnTheMcBrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 3,297
vCash: 521
Would Ranger fans be interested in something around Ana 2nd + Prospect for Boyle?

OnTheMcBrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:32 PM
  #32
Phenomenon13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
I don't think you will be able to acquire a top pairing young defenceman thats under 26 years old without giving out something from your untouchables list. Young defensive third liners are tough to come by. Younger players aren't usually that great at defence and those who are usually require overpayment. Finding an upgrade at net might be tough to depending on the goalie your looking for. If your looking for a younger goalie with potential you might have to give up something more significant.

Phenomenon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:39 PM
  #33
OnTheMcBrink
Registered User
 
OnTheMcBrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 3,297
vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon13 View Post
I don't think you will be able to acquire a top pairing young defenceman thats under 26 years old without giving out something from your untouchables list. Young defensive third liners are tough to come by. Younger players aren't usually that great at defence and those who are usually require overpayment. Finding an upgrade at net might be tough to depending on the goalie your looking for. If your looking for a younger goalie with potential you might have to give up something more significant.
I should have been more clear I definitely wasn't expecting to fill all the needs, just wondering what ones could be filled with what willing too give up, thanks for you reply agree with most of what you said.

OnTheMcBrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:17 PM
  #34
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
My Ideal realisticish lineup going into the 2014/2015 season and onward would be: I am focusing on 14/15 season as gives mac T time to add roster players and time for young core to develop.

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Gagner - Coyle - Eberle
Pajaarvi - - Monahan/Lindolm - ??veteran 2 way player
Bouma - Bolland - ?? strong defensive players that can drop the mitts.

Smid - Petry
Klefbom - Schultz
Wiercioch - Maracinin
Belov - Gernat

Dubnyk
That team would be picking first in the 2014 draft. You simply cant keep putting a bunch of 18-20 yr olds out there and hope they win. You cant just add a couple fourth line vets and hope for the best. Havent they had that??

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:19 AM
  #35
Oilwings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 604 Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
That team would be picking first in the 2014 draft. You simply cant keep putting a bunch of 18-20 yr olds out there and hope they win. You cant just add a couple fourth line vets and hope for the best. Havent they had that??
I believe you can win with a bunch of 25-28 yr olds with a few veteran, say 3-4 veterans.

Oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:16 AM
  #36
Phenomenon13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
I agree with Petes2424 about the projected roster. Theres alot of maybes and the roster seems too iffy to me for it to make the playoffs.

You are banking on gagner adapting to wing and having coyle play center who i feel is better suited for wing. Coyle wont have to be relied upon as heavily defensively (even though he is decent at it) and has already proven to be able to play as a winger at the nhl level. Gagner has just had somewhat of a breakout season and has shown to be capable of being a number 2 center already. \

The problems of your team starts at the bottom six

I think you would be hoping that monohan or lindholm would be capable of handling checking line duties as a rookie or sophmore in the nhl. These types of players are extremely rare and in the hundreds of players drafted maybe one player can actually be capable of doing that right off the bat. These expectations might be a little high. Since you signed (dave?) bolland, you might as well place him as your checking line centerman as he has proven to be very effective at this.

I'm not sure how pajaarvi will do playing tough minutes and having lots of defensive zone starts. I believe he can still be a top 6 forward and it would be a mistake to stunt his growth by putting him in a situation that he cant excel in offensively.


The real problem is the backend in my opinion.

There is no clear cut number one defenceman and the roster listed has some passable top pairing guys that probably should not be there on a playoff team. Klefbom might not be capable of handling top 4 as he probably needs to adjust to NA style/rinks. We have already seen tons of swedish defenceman have problems meeting expectations or playing up to par coming out of sweden such as Larsson, Ekman-Larsson, Hedman, etc... That is not saying that he or any of these swedish defenceman will not be good but they will need time to adjust. I even feel that the "slow starters" i have listed were fairly NHL ready and had plenty of expectations thrown upon them that they failed to meet in their first season. Schultz like all young players will hopefully find consistency and learn to play better defensively but as we all know not all development is linear (del-zotto).

Dubnyk probably can be a goalie that a team can make the playoffs with but with the support that i feel he is getting, he will have to steal quite a few games which i don't feel he is capable of doing (i could be wrong - bobrovsky).

The final aspect your team is lacking is probably faceoffs. I may seem to overrate it but the team listed has shown to be really bad at it. I know most of the players are young but it does have quite an effect on your special teams and puck possession abilities if all your centerman are below 50% at the draw. (I am assuming monohan/lindholm will struggle at the faceoffs like typical rookies do.)

There is no real quick fix for the oilers. The team has the top end talent but must wait for it to develop. The team still has major holes on defence, bottom six and depth in general. The team has too many question marks but there is an unlikely chance that the top end talent could develop faster than i think it will and carry the team to the playoffs.

Phenomenon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:49 AM
  #37
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar McLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
What about Jared Cowen and Zack Smith for the 7th overall (only if Lindholm or Monahan are still there).
I'd definitely consider it. Not sure why Ottawa does it though. They have Spezza/Zibanejad as the top 2 centers for the next 5 years.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:24 AM
  #38
MoreGore
Registered User
 
MoreGore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyBilly1990 View Post
Wiercioch + 4th for Hemsky + 2nd(EDM)
With Gonchar gone, Wiercioch becomes an important part of the team.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:28 AM
  #39
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,000
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
I would probably trade a 6th + Teubert or Plante's rights for him, would rather keep peckham as I think he would sign a 2 way deal.
For Weber ? Teubert and 6th. Done.

He'd probably ask for a mill, or less at most.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:16 AM
  #40
Curtinho
Frysk Bloed
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I'd definitely consider it. Not sure why Ottawa does it though. They have Spezza/Zibanejad as the top 2 centers for the next 5 years.
Well, Lindholm and Zibanejad can both play on the wing (and I've heard some say that they believe Lindholm will be a winger in the NHL)...but mostly even if you look at a roster like Boston it doesn't hurt to have a lot of centres in your line-up. I'm just looking at top end forward talent because we're already deep defensively (I mean, we spent the entire year without Cowen and Karlsson and were one of the least scored against teams in the league).

Also Zibanejad isn't a top 2 centre yet...he's not even a top 3. Right now I'd still put Spezza, Turris and Smith (hence why I said I'd prefer to move something other than Smith for the 7th unless we were getting more back) ahead of him. Hell, based on the playoffs maybe even Pageau.

Maybe even something like:

7th overall + MPS

for

Cowen, Smith and 3rd 2013.

I think that works for both teams, though I'm a big Smith fan and would hate to see him go. Long term I feel as though it works out best for both teams.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:55 AM
  #41
MoreGore
Registered User
 
MoreGore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Well, Lindholm and Zibanejad can both play on the wing (and I've heard some say that they believe Lindholm will be a winger in the NHL)...but mostly even if you look at a roster like Boston it doesn't hurt to have a lot of centres in your line-up. I'm just looking at top end forward talent because we're already deep defensively (I mean, we spent the entire year without Cowen and Karlsson and were one of the least scored against teams in the league).

Also Zibanejad isn't a top 2 centre yet...he's not even a top 3. Right now I'd still put Spezza, Turris and Smith (hence why I said I'd prefer to move something other than Smith for the 7th unless we were getting more back) ahead of him. Hell, based on the playoffs maybe even Pageau.

Maybe even something like:

7th overall + MPS

for

Cowen, Smith and 3rd 2013.

I think that works for both teams, though I'm a big Smith fan and would hate to see him go. Long term I feel as though it works out best for both teams.

This is a great trade for Edmonton. It really does address 2 big need for them. A big mean talented defender is just what the doctor ordered. Smith would be a great fit in the bottom 6 in Edmonton. Size, speed, defensivly responsible and able to throw the body around. Of course his offensive prowess is lacking, but that is why he is in the bottom 6.

Ottawa on the other hand.....well it does set their rebuild back a bit and would be a clear signal to Alfredsson that retirement is calling. With that 7th pick they could land another good center that could replace Turris in about 5 years, and they would need to hope that they could find a top 2 defensman to fill in the loss of Cowen. Talent like Cowen can be had via free agency if you cough up the bucks. MPS could be useful, but with all of the prospect wingers coming up from Bingo and an incredibly tough roster to crack, they could turn MPS/Conacher/Stone/Noesen/Peumple/Prince into another draft asset.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:11 AM
  #42
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Grabovski for Horcoff and Petry?

I know D is an issue with Edm but this would add a 2nd line C that would/could be around for longer than 2 to 3 years

could expand the deal to include one of Leafs left handed dmen, (Liles or Gunnar)

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:13 AM
  #43
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,792
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
cause im interested in people other then Oiler fans views.
Well that's funny because you obviously need to learn something from the Oilers fans. Such as Gagner not being able to play left wing. He plays center and right wing.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:25 AM
  #44
Curtinho
Frysk Bloed
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
Ottawa on the other hand.....well it does set their rebuild back a bit and would be a clear signal to Alfredsson that retirement is calling. With that 7th pick they could land another good center that could replace Turris in about 5 years, and they would need to hope that they could find a top 2 defensman to fill in the loss of Cowen. Talent like Cowen can be had via free agency if you cough up the bucks. MPS could be useful, but with all of the prospect wingers coming up from Bingo and an incredibly tough roster to crack, they could turn MPS/Conacher/Stone/Noesen/Peumple/Prince into another draft asset.
I don't think it really sets the rebuild back much. We have guys ready to step up and replace Cowen/Smith's positions while also adding a potential draft pick that could be playing in the NHL next year as well as an NHL ready player in MPS (who still has upside and is a great defensive forward).

The biggest thing though isn't replacing Turris because I think Turris will be in Ottawa long term. It provides a potential elite centre to replace Spezza with (or if Turris can step up, then to become an elite #2 centre). I like both Monahan and Lindholm for this.

Short term would it make our team worse? Debatable. Long term I think it gives us way more flexibility and a better team (I feel as though it also makes Edmonton better now and in the future).

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:09 AM
  #45
MoreGore
Registered User
 
MoreGore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I don't think it really sets the rebuild back much. We have guys ready to step up and replace Cowen/Smith's positions while also adding a potential draft pick that could be playing in the NHL next year as well as an NHL ready player in MPS (who still has upside and is a great defensive forward).

The biggest thing though isn't replacing Turris because I think Turris will be in Ottawa long term. It provides a potential elite centre to replace Spezza with (or if Turris can step up, then to become an elite #2 centre). I like both Monahan and Lindholm for this.

Short term would it make our team worse? Debatable. Long term I think it gives us way more flexibility and a better team (I feel as though it also makes Edmonton better now and in the future).
Look at what I wrote.

1) In regards to Alfredsson. He needs a motive to play this year. Moving Cowen and Smith hurts the team this year. Why would he return to a team still rebuilding when the right move may give them a chance at the cup?

2) Who replaces Cowen? That asset would have to come from free agency. Gonchar just left, Streit is off the market too. Somebody would have to be brought in, and he would cost.

3) The first round pick is nice, but Zibanejad is 2 years from his draft, is developing and doing fine. Drafting a C will help in 3 years+ not now.

4) Smith he is a decent asset for sure and replacable for sure, but he does fit a role that the Sens need. He would also need to be replaced.

5) MPS is in the same ballpark as all those wingers I named. Useful, but terribly redundant. Who would lose their spot to him next fall? Conacher seems like a possibility. I suppose if Alfredsson retires, that is a spot that opens.

---

Your trade enhances a strength (talent at center), enhances another strength (the youth movement), enhances a third strength (young wingers), potentially weakens a weakness (losing Alfredsson a scoring winger), weakens a second weakness (experience), and turns a strength (top end defense) into a weakness.

It does wonders for Edmonton though.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:07 AM
  #46
Curtinho
Frysk Bloed
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
Look at what I wrote.

1) In regards to Alfredsson. He needs a motive to play this year. Moving Cowen and Smith hurts the team this year. Why would he return to a team still rebuilding when the right move may give them a chance at the cup?
Why does it hurt the team though? We spent all of this year without Cowen, and he was our 5th defenceman the year before. He's very replaceable in terms of the current incarnation of the team. Borowiecki, Wiercioch and Gryba can all get a look plus impending UFAs on the market. People have been calling for Smith's head all year (I think he's great) but with that in mind both Pageau and Monahan/Lindholm could probably provide something similar to what Smith has if not more.

Plus this just gives us more flexibility. We can move more assets, think about moving the 17th overall, etc.

Quote:
2) Who replaces Cowen? That asset would have to come from free agency. Gonchar just left, Streit is off the market too. Somebody would have to be brought in, and he would cost.
Again...Cowen didn't play for us this year and we were one of the best defensive teams in the league. He was a 5th defenceman the year before. Borowiecki, Wiercioch and Gryba all could fit on the roster as well as some long-shots like Ceci and Sdao on top of any other trades/possible UFAs.

Quote:
3) The first round pick is nice, but Zibanejad is 2 years from his draft, is developing and doing fine. Drafting a C will help in 3 years+ not now.
Monahan and Lindholm are two of the more NHL ready players in the draft. They could be helping as early as next year...with that said we do have a bunch of centres in the pipeline that may get overlooked next year because of our depth. Pageau, Da Costa, O'Brien, Hoffman etc.

Quote:
4) Smith he is a decent asset for sure and replacable for sure, but he does fit a role that the Sens need. He would also need to be replaced.
See above. Again, he's the asset I actually think would hurt losing the most. Not really sure if I'd pull the trigger on it for that reason.

Quote:
5) MPS is in the same ballpark as all those wingers I named. Useful, but terribly redundant. Who would lose their spot to him next fall? Conacher seems like a possibility. I suppose if Alfredsson retires, that is a spot that opens.
I feel as though our depth is going to be taken advantage of this summer and we're going to make some quantity for quality trades. It wouldn't surprise me to see some room open up for him in acquiring a top line winger or something of that sort. Either way he is a good winger that is very good defensively and can skate very well. He'd fit into our system and depth is never a bad thing.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:12 AM
  #47
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
To the fan that wanted 7th overall and PRV no thanks, that is way too much to give up. I think MacT is looking for dmen that has a bit more experience than Cowen, not saying he isn't good but has a few more years.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:17 AM
  #48
McDuul
Registered User
 
McDuul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,280
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post


Travis Moen
Yannick Weber(RFA)



3rd round pick
5th round pick
Theo Peckham(RFA)
I would do this, Peckham has no future in Edmonton and I really think Moen would help out team. I'm not so sure about Weber but he would be an upgrade to our D regardless.

McDuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:19 AM
  #49
Akonite
Registered User
 
Akonite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
Grabovski for Horcoff and Petry?

I know D is an issue with Edm but this would add a 2nd line C that would/could be around for longer than 2 to 3 years

could expand the deal to include one of Leafs left handed dmen, (Liles or Gunnar)
We want to get Horcoff's 5.5M off the books, taking on Grabovski's 5.5M is definitely not ideal.

We have Gagner as our 2C at the moment and fingers crossed he should most likely come cheaper than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Monahan and Lindholm are two of the more NHL ready players in the draft. They could be helping as early as next year...with that said we do have a bunch of centres in the pipeline that may get overlooked next year because of our depth. Pageau, Da Costa, O'Brien, Hoffman etc.
Though I'd just mention as an FYI that Lindholm is already under contract for next year and is expected to play it out.

Akonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:21 AM
  #50
MikeModano9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 500
Oilers should try to land

Sekera/Klesla/Hejda
Horton/Clowe/Bolland

Those types of players.

MikeModano9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.