HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bolstering Edmonton's Roster

Old
06-14-2013, 12:24 PM
OnTheBrink

vCash: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Well that's funny because you obviously need to learn something from the Oilers fans. Such as Gagner not being able to play left wing. He plays center and right wing.
my second line was meant to be

Coyle - Gagner - Eberle

With Coyle taking face-offs and Gagner playing center on the ice, think Coyle could be very strong on faceoffs and his defensive responsibility and size would allow gags and ebs more freedom out there.

OnTheBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:49 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIrish17 View Post
Cal Clutterbuck, yay or nay?
What's the asking price? Be perfect for our 3rd line RW.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:12 PM
MoreGore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Why does it hurt the team though? We spent all of this year without Cowen, and he was our 5th defenceman the year before. He's very replaceable in terms of the current incarnation of the team. Borowiecki, Wiercioch and Gryba can all get a look plus impending UFAs on the market. People have been calling for Smith's head all year (I think he's great) but with that in mind both Pageau and Monahan/Lindholm could probably provide something similar to what Smith has if not more.

Plus this just gives us more flexibility. We can move more assets, think about moving the 17th overall, etc.

Again...Cowen didn't play for us this year and we were one of the best defensive teams in the league. He was a 5th defenceman the year before. Borowiecki, Wiercioch and Gryba all could fit on the roster as well as some long-shots like Ceci and Sdao on top of any other trades/possible UFAs.

Monahan and Lindholm are two of the more NHL ready players in the draft. They could be helping as early as next year...with that said we do have a bunch of centres in the pipeline that may get overlooked next year because of our depth. Pageau, Da Costa, O'Brien, Hoffman etc.

See above. Again, he's the asset I actually think would hurt losing the most. Not really sure if I'd pull the trigger on it for that reason.

I feel as though our depth is going to be taken advantage of this summer and we're going to make some quantity for quality trades. It wouldn't surprise me to see some room open up for him in acquiring a top line winger or something of that sort. Either way he is a good winger that is very good defensively and can skate very well. He'd fit into our system and depth is never a bad thing.

You know right off the bat that Cowen and Smith make Edmonton a better team. The exact same thing can be said of Ottawa, but in reverse. It makes them a weaker team right off the bat.

Alfie would like another kick at the can. Making a move like this is a clear signal that the Sens are not attempting to win for at least another couple of years.

Lindholm/Monahan are kids, they will not make an impact for a few years (3-4). Cowen will be an impact player in the next year or two. That is the normal progression curve for picks 5-10 or so.

It is true that Cowen did not play this year, and the Sens did fine. Think of that team as it was and then add Cowen, Spezza and Karlsson (all players that missed the vast majority of the season and were ineffective in the playoffs). That is looking to be a pretty strong team. A 90% lock for a playoff position and a chance to take the division (Boston will be tired... I hope )

There is no way Sdao, Ceci or Boroweicki are in Cowen's league. They are capable players for sure, but for next year they are AHL/NHL guys.

I highlighted the part about the quantity for quality part. You are BANG on. This is exactly what Ottawa needs. But rather than picks, think Nash. IMO Silfverberg is the most tradeable asset. Bring in a Vanek/Ryan quality players (as if they grow on trees ), make Silfverberg the cornerstone and augment with other talent like Stone, the 17th pick, Gryba, etc.

By trading a winger for a winger we have no need to fill in newly created holes.

The problem Ottawa has is that their young wingers are pretty talented, so unless the guy coming in isn't a guaranteed 25 goal scorer, there is no trade to be made as Silfverberg is a lock for 15-20 himself.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

LOL no team has that many untouchables sorry, any1 can be had. As soon as I see junk like this it just loses all credibility in my opinion. You dont get anywhere with that many untouchables lol, when you build a team around #1 picks and consistently dont make the playoffs, its obvious that the plan isnt working, the oilers need to be broken up imo. Broken up doesnt mean getting fleeced in any context, but I dont think the oilers are built properly, and I would honestly think it would be a lot better if you got some more "regular nhl'ers" in there to complement the star prospects. Ive watched a lot of Edmonton games in the past few years, and it really looks like individual efforts are trumping full team efforts on most nights in my opinion, and I really dont think it is a recipe for success going forward. I think a nice complement would be a kulemin type player (not him specifically) on a 2nd or 3rd line role to express defensive reliability and to slow the game down a bit with the cycle game imo. Im saying this, because dallas is most likely going to have that cycle game/defensive mindset going forward.

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
Here is Edmonton's state in my opinion;

I feel this year will be the last year they are picking in the top tier of prospects, and with it being such a quality draft the 7th this year is more like a 5th in the past few drafts. I hope they use the 7th pick to address the #2C center spot. I can see the team picking from 10-15 in next years draft where I hope they pick a defensemen.

All these years of 1st overalls, and acquiring a very talented young core which wont come into their prime for another 2-4 years and at that time looks like a perennial contender core if the right role players are brought in. which could include a top 6 off all High EDM picks; Hall, RNH, Yak, Eberle, Gagner (on wing) and Monahan/Lindolm.

And a decent D - core of Smid, Petry, J. Schultz and Klefbom.

In this thread I am more thinking of what would be realistic trades that would help Edm now but more 2-3 years down the road, when I think is really when EDM has a chance to do something.

Edmontons wants are; upgrade at 2C, top pairing under 26 y.o. D-men, young defensively responsible 3rd line center, 4th line center, bottom six wingers with size and grit, physical 5/6 dmen, and a upgrade at goalie.

-Untouchables for Edm are Hall, RNH, Yak, Ebs, J. Schultz,Smid, Petry and Klefbom.

-7th overall is only available if Barkov/Monahan/Lindolm are off the board.

Gagner, Pajaarvi and Maracinin are only available as part of a package for upgrade at their position or top pairing D-men.

- Most attractive trade pieces(not any particular order): Hemsky, Horcoff, both 2nd rounders, 2014 1st, N. schultz, Gernat, Musil, Lander, Harti, Rajala and Zharkov

Some trades I think would be realistic and help both teams would be:

Edm trades Hemsky + ana 2nd to Ottawa for Wiercioch

Edm trades Martindale (Feaster loves skill) + 2014 3rd round pick to CGY for Bouma (can play LW and center)+ 2014 5th

Edm trades 2014 1st + Musil + Rajala to Min for Coyle

Please make offers on players and needs mentioned in this post.

Edit: Coyle trade wishful thinking looking again but don't think way off value a sure to be top 15 pick in next year could be top 10 never know with Edm, A very solid big defensive prospect and a forward prospect who had a really strong AHL playoffs.
So nothing of real value?

06-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

5th Overall Pick

7th Overall Pick
Martin Marinčin

Carolina could throw in a pick too maybe, if the value is a bit off. This trade would allow Edmonton to leap frog Calgary (who pick 6th) and have their choice of either Lindholm or Monahan and would still allow Carolina to get Nichushkin at number 7 and also pick up a serviceable D Prospect.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Oilception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post

5th Overall Pick

7th Overall Pick
Martin Marinčin

Carolina could throw in a pick too maybe, if the value is a bit off. This trade would allow Edmonton to leap frog Calgary (who pick 6th) and have their choice of either Lindholm or Monahan and would still allow Carolina to get Nichushkin at number 7 and also pick up a serviceable D Prospect.
Id personally rather have any one of Nichuskin/Lindholm/Monohan and Marincin than just Monohan. Marincin is our second best prospect and had a great year. to much for me to want to give up. id do it with a second or like Gernat but not Marincin

Oilception is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:17 PM
OnTheBrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilception View Post
Id personally rather have any one of Nichuskin/Lindholm/Monohan and Marincin than just Monohan. Marincin is our second best prospect and had a great year. to much for me to want to give up. id do it with a second or like Gernat but not Marincin
agreed

Old
06-14-2013, 03:17 PM
nlnl09

The best way to bolster Edmonton's roster would to be patient.

There is so much talent, but it's going to take some time for these guys to mature, get over that sophomore slump. Plug a few holes in the offseason for the next few years in free agency like a big bodied winger (Clarkson, Horton etc.), this would be a good season to take advantage of all the all the goalies on the move without having to give up a roster player (Luo?, bryz? (after buyout), backstrom? etc.)

nlnl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
If I was a GM I'd be calling to see if I could give up a contributing veteran for Edmonton's 2014 1st. Until their defense has some real stability they are doomed to miss the post-season again.

Only problem is Jets have no veterans to spare that are any good.

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 02:14 PM
FightingIrish17

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
What's the asking price? Be perfect for our 3rd line RW.
I imagine there will be a bidding war, ultimately I think a 2nd plus a prospect.

FightingIrish17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
Lindholm/Monahan are kids, they will not make an impact for a few years (3-4). Cowen will be an impact player in the next year or two. That is the normal progression curve for picks 5-10 or so.
Lindholm and Monahan could both easily step in and give as much as Smith next year. They are that talented, and Monahan has a very mature game while Lindholm is already playing with men.

Quote:
There is no way Sdao, Ceci or Boroweicki are in Cowen's league. They are capable players for sure, but for next year they are AHL/NHL guys.
Borowiecki looked better than Cowen did this year. Not really sure why he was sent back down, but he's someone that could step in and give just as much as Cowen next year. Sdao and Ceci are unknowns at this point, but someone who watches Bingo a lot has said that they feel Sdao is already better than Gryba.

Quote:
I highlighted the part about the quantity for quality part. You are BANG on. This is exactly what Ottawa needs. But rather than picks, think Nash. IMO Silfverberg is the most tradeable asset. Bring in a Vanek/Ryan quality players (as if they grow on trees ), make Silfverberg the cornerstone and augment with other talent like Stone, the 17th pick, Gryba, etc.
Would much rather move Cowen than Silfverberg. Silfverberg is going to be a very, very important player for us moving forward. He's also one of the few high end forward prospects that we have that is a fairly safe bet to reach his potential. If we're going to make a move from forward it should be someone like Zibanejad, Smith or Pageau because we are strong down the middle (not that it's bad to keep good centre depth). Silfverberg will be a 30 goal scorer next year; I'm very confident of that.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
So nothing of real value?
Depends on what is being traded for. Do you expect to get Yakupov or a blue chip D prospect for a 3rd/4th line C? The upgrade at 2C would mean Gagner is available as well. Offensive 2C plus 1st 2014 for defensive 2C isn't bad if the other team needs more offence and has spare C.

Only thing really out of reach would be a top pair D. If we were looking for a 2C with potentialthe like Coots in Philly or an established C at a Krejci/Bergeron level obviously we'd have to add more.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 03:40 PM
OnTheBrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
Depends on what is being traded for. Do you expect to get Yakupov or a blue chip D prospect for a 3rd/4th line C? The upgrade at 2C would mean Gagner is available as well. Offensive 2C plus 1st 2014 for defensive 2C isn't bad if the other team needs more offence and has spare C.

Only thing really out of reach would be a top pair D. If we were looking for a 2C with potentialthe like Coots in Philly or an established C at a Krejci/Bergeron level obviously we'd have to add more.
Thank you for clearing that up, pretty much exactly my thoughts.

Old
06-15-2013, 06:26 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeModano9 View Post
Oilers should try to land

Sekera/Klesla/Hejda
Horton/Clowe/Bolland

Those types of players.
Clowe had a terrible year this year, he is looking for big bucks and is not worth it.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:43 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIrish17 View Post
I imagine there will be a bidding war, ultimately I think a 2nd plus a prospect.
Done, 2nd and Musil for Clutterbuck.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:54 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Dustin Jeffrey could be had from Pittsburgh for that 4th line center spot.

He's got decent size and he's a solid defensive center/PKer.

He's a solid player, but he's a victim of the numbers game here.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
Edm trades Martindale (Feaster loves skill) + 2014 3rd round pick to CGY for Bouma (can play LW and center)+ 2014 5th
Flames would decline IMO.

I would list why I don't want to trade Bouma, but I think you already know since you want to acquire him. He may just be a role player, but he will be an important part of our leadership core moving forward.

Martindale on the other hand just doesn't appeal to me at all, he lacks what it takes to be successful in professional hockey IMO.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Prajna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Lindholm and Monahan could both easily step in and give as much as Smith next year. They are that talented, and Monahan has a very mature game while Lindholm is already playing with men.

Borowiecki looked better than Cowen did this year. Not really sure why he was sent back down, but he's someone that could step in and give just as much as Cowen next year. Sdao and Ceci are unknowns at this point, but someone who watches Bingo a lot has said that they feel Sdao is already better than Gryba.

Would much rather move Cowen than Silfverberg. Silfverberg is going to be a very, very important player for us moving forward. He's also one of the few high end forward prospects that we have that is a fairly safe bet to reach his potential. If we're going to make a move from forward it should be someone like Zibanejad, Smith or Pageau because we are strong down the middle (not that it's bad to keep good centre depth). Silfverberg will be a 30 goal scorer next year; I'm very confident of that.

Thank god you are not Ottawa's GM.

Last edited by spiny norman: 06-19-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: not needed
Prajna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Polak for Gagner?

This was talked about on the blues trade rumor I believe and I think it makes sense for both sides. Polak is a solid defensive dman with nice grit to his game.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:46 AM
OnTheBrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
Polak for Gagner?

This was talked about on the blues trade rumor I believe and I think it makes sense for both sides. Polak is a solid defensive dman with nice grit to his game.
I like Polak and think he would be good dman for Oilers, but cant give up a center unless a 2C replacement is already had. Also I think Gagner is a bit of a overpayment for Polak.

Something around like Lander + 3rd rounder would be closer value IMO.

Old
06-19-2013, 06:54 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
Polak for Gagner?

Maybe , but it would have to be a bigger deal , like Gagner and our 7th for Polak and a centre

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Obiwan Eberle

Gagner and both 2nd rndrs for Polak and Berglund

ahhh to dream.....

Obiwan Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:10 AM
roboninja
EYG