HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morgan Reilly

Old
06-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Kagunoshi

vCash: 500
Morgan Reilly

I've read a lot about Reilly and have seen his stats which are amazing when taking into consideration his team. However, I haven't seen him play at all and I'd like to know his ceiling I've heard 1 or 2 D man and even a 2nd pairing dman but I'd like to know how he is defensively, offensively and in special teams. What type of player he is? And another intriguing question is he better or has the potential to be better than Gardiner?

Kagunoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Duffman955

He not only has top pairing potential, he has #1 all-star Dman Norris potential. If not for his injury, many people say he would have easily been the top defenseman in the draft. His performance this season proves this.

He is basically very similar Karlsson playing style. Top notch skating, ability to carry the puck up the ice, excellent vision, passing and playmaking skills.

Defensively he is actually not as bad as people make him out to be. He uses his speed and stick to stop opposition forwards.

IMO, he has much higher potential than Gardiner.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:27 PM
The Thin White Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
He not only has top pairing potential, he has #1 all-star Dman Norris potential. If not for his injury, many people say he would have easily been the top defenseman in the draft. His performance this season proves this.

He is basically very similar Karlsson playing style. Top notch skating, ability to carry the puck up the ice, excellent vision, passing and playmaking skills.

Defensively he is actually not as bad as people make him out to be. He uses his speed and stick to stop opposition forwards.

IMO, he has much higher potential than Gardiner.
Pretty much this. I can see Gardiner fitting into any kind of system and excelling based on his tools alone. However, if Rielly keeps developing as expected, I can see coaches building their systems around him.

The Thin White Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thin White Duke View Post
Pretty much this. I can see Gardiner fitting into any kind of system and excelling based on his tools alone. However, if Rielly keeps developing as expected, I can see coaches building their systems around him.
He truly is a player you can build your team around if he reaches his potential.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Neil Hamburger
Five Bagger!

vCash: 160
Rielly has the potential to be the best defenseman on our team. He's a dynamic skater, with exceptional fluidity and agility in his stride. He's in the same class as a guy like Gardiner in terms of skating capabilities, but in my eyes Gardiner has better straight-up speed, and Rielly has better agility and shiftiness. He has elite level vision, hockey iq and play-making abilities alongside an excellent first pass. He has fantastic hands for a defenseman, and has the ability to go end-to-end when given the oppurtunity. He's neither big, nor small at 6'0 but is strong on his skates and well built at over 200 pounds. His shot is accurate, but is lacking in terms of power. The top-end of his potential he could reach is a # 1 50 - 60 point per year puck rushing defenseman among the best OFD's in the game. The low-end of his potential in my eyes is a #3/4 30 - 40 point per year PP QB in the mold of John Liles.

His main weaknesses are his defensive positioning, and playing without the puck in his own zone (battling in front of the net and in the corners). Once he gets the puck, he generally makes the smart play to get it out of his own zone.

Neil Hamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Mikeyg
Best in the World

If dion is on the way out, the gardiner morgan era would officially begin
gardiner gunnar
rielly franson
liles fraser

its not great right now in any context, but it has high potential. But yeah if dion gets traded I'd think morgan would have to be in at that point
maybe percy gets a look, and ranger would go too if he gets an nhl contract with the leafs

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:35 PM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

I love his potential, but his game is not without it's serious warts. I've repeatedly seen him make very poor defensive plays in jr. He'd be benched by RC if still makes those mistakes. But to be fair, I am discussing mistakes made by a teenager. From what we've been told he is considered an intelligent and highly coachable player. I think with the right tutelage he can become a great player. I'm excited to see what RC does with him and his mentoring could do for Rielly.

I think his offensive skill is already on par with a successful PPQB/PMD in the NHL. But he needs to continue to focus on making smart defensive plays if he is to be a top paring player against the best in the world.

The Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Neil Hamburger
Five Bagger!

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I love his potential, but his game is not without it's serious warts. I've repeatedly seen him make very poor defensive plays in jr. He'd be benched by RC if still makes those mistakes. But to be fair, I am discussing mistakes made by a teenager. From what we've been told he is considered an intelligent and highly coachable player. I think with the right tutelage he can become a great player. I'm excited to see what RC does with him and his mentoring could do for Rielly.

I think his offensive skill is already on par with a successful PPQB/PMD in the NHL. But he needs to continue to focus on making smart defensive plays if he is to be a top paring player against the best in the world.
Carlyle could prove to be the perfect coach for him. He was a Norris calibre offensive skating d-man, so he'll have great pedigree when talking to kids like Rielly and Gardiner. At the same time he's a defensive minded coach who makes sure all his players buy in 100 % in their own zone. He has also had great success with guys like Niedermayer in the past, so I'm excited to see what he can do with Gards and Rielly.

Neil Hamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Joey Hoser

His offensive tools are too good to be anything less than an NHL PPQB and puck rushing defencman. The only real question is if he's going to be reliable enough in his own end to earn 25+ minutes a night and be among the best in the league, or just live on the powerplay.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:43 PM
LeafOfBread

Quote:

RC was great with Fowler, I don't expect anything else with Rielly

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:56 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
He truly is a player you can build your team around if he reaches his potential.
Shouldn't he traded for more high picks then?

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:05 PM
jiggy35

vCash: 50
Next Duncan Keith

jiggy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Dreakmur

Think Paul Coffey - he plays that style of game, and he might even be that good.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:13 PM
MRB

He is one of the top defensive prospects in the game, no less no more. Let hope he reaches his ceiling.

MRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:13 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

my rule is let a guy play two or three games in the nhl, then start making wild guesses about what he will become.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:46 PM
TOGuy14

His potential is elite

If he lives up to what he is capable of he should be something around a Letang - Karlsson type D.

Note: Nobody knows if he will reach his maximum potential, but that is how good he could be.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Rielly4

Ive seen him play enough that really hes gonna be a great addition to the team. He is just as good a skater as Gardiner but maybe has quicker start up speed and agility. He has the hands, passing ability and top notch speed to be a great puck rusher. But what makes him great is his hockey IQ. He knows when its not his time to rush the puck and he can play a really good team passing game too and just make the simple passes. Also he has a good hockey IQ defensively and is always looking to turn defence into offence quickly. Similar to Karlsson in that sense. I see him more manning the top of the umbrella on the PP and Gardiner playing over to the right side for one timers and to skate in. Either way Rielly Gardiner Kessel Kadri JVR (unless we get a new top notch forward) should be on the powerplay for us.

Rielly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:56 PM
vflawiess

Our D on opening night?

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly/Liles - Scuderi/Ference
Fraser
Blacker
Holzer

???

vflawiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 03:05 PM
KlattNazty

favourite quality as compared to JG, is the explosive gambreaking abilities that morgan has. unreal.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 03:16 PM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Think Paul Coffey - he plays that style of game, and he might even be that good.
Taker down a notch or 10 please. Your talking about the 2nd greatest offensive defenseman in the history of the game.

IMO, it's like calling a great young forward the next Mario Lemieux. It's just too high a bar to set.

Old
06-24-2013, 03:25 PM
firstemperor

He's not in the mold of a Neidermayer/Duncan Keith/OEL like Gardiner is.

Reilly is more in the Karlsson (not saying he has the same upside), but their games are very similar. He doesn't have the entire repertoire Karlsson has yet.

One is a possession, cover a lot of ground player.

The other is dynamic and makes more plays out of nothing.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 03:31 PM
hockeygeek

When you watch him play junior he does everything at a faster pace than everyone else. His passing is particularly impressive. From behind the net to the far blue line he'll find a seam that is only there for a split second and hit a guy on the tape with a perfectly flat hard pass. I think his ability to pass is already nhl elite. I remember Phaneuf said something about it his awesome passing during training camp too. Can't wait till he's launching those filthy passes for the Leafs

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 03:58 PM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
He's not in the mold of a Neidermayer/Duncan Keith/OEL like Gardiner is.

Reilly is more in the Karlsson (not saying he has the same upside), but their games are very similar. He doesn't have the entire repertoire Karlsson has yet.

One is a possession, cover a lot of ground player.

The other is dynamic and makes more plays out of nothing.
Rielly is already 205lbs at 19. I think that makes a big difference for him when power is needed. Size definitely matters for D, and he already has 30-40lbs on Gardiner and Karlsson. So I don't think he will be a similar player to Karlsson, as Rielly is already a gym rat and a lot stronger, likely. He is already heavier and likely stronger then Gardiner, and IMO could be a better defensive player.

Karlsson is an elite puck mover and may be alone in the league in that respect. His skill alone will allow him to be successful while being very small for a defenseman.

IMO, if I had to choose, I'd keep Rielly and move Gardiner. I think they are the same as skaters, but Rielly is known to be a gym rat and a sponge for coaches, which bodes well for his long term projection with a great D coach in RC. But I think it'd be nice to have both.

Old
06-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Taker down a notch or 10 please. Your talking about the 2nd greatest offensive defenseman in the history of the game.

IMO, it's like calling a great young forward the next Mario Lemieux. It's just too high a bar to set.
Paul Coffey isn't even among the top-10 defensemen of all time, and probably isn't even among the top-15.

I said before the draft that Rielly would be my #1 overall pick, and it's because he can be that good. Will he get there? Maybe not, but his potential is unreal.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:35 PM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Paul Coffey isn't even among the top-10 defensemen of all time, and probably isn't even among the top-15.

I said before the draft that Rielly would be my #1 overall pick, and it's because he can be that good. Will he get there? Maybe not, but his potential is unreal.

So we're talking about an offensive defensemen and his comparable and you think the 13th all time scorer in league history isn't at least 15th overall