HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[MTL] Davis Drewiske re-signed (2 years - $637,500 cap hit)

Old
06-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
[MTL] Davis Drewiske re-signed (2 years - $637,500 cap hit)

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m
Habs sign Drewiske to a two-year extension.

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/345196752770576385

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL 11m
Canadiens sign defenseman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract extension. DETAILS -> http://goha.bs/119EN8A

Last edited by caley: 06-13-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:14 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

vCash: 500
I'm glad he found a home that likes him

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Perro

Wish him all the best.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:29 AM
BLONG7

Nice depth move...7-8th dman...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:29 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I guess the thinking is that both our press box sitters from last year (Kaberle & Weber) will be gone and Drewiske will be kept around for depth, but I still find it a bit of a surprise. He wasn't any great shakes for us after we got him and Bergevin is already going into next year with the same 7 NHL defensemen he had the year before...a blueline that virtually everybody agreed needed an upgrade.

Not sure I agree with Bergevin's strategy of rushing to lock up depth guys (Desharnais, Bouillon, Drewiske), especially if you contrast that with him playing hardball with a guy like Subban and letting go a decent player in Ryder.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:38 AM
jfont

Awards:
I think the Kings made a huge mistake with Drewiske. I believe he is better than Ellerby and in some areas better than Muzzin.

06-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Pitlick*

Drewiske was awful. But then again, most 7-8 defensemen are. Depth. Drewiske made 61 look good by comparison.

Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:39 AM
btallett

O baby were moving markov i can see it now. Pull the trigger bergevin ! Im calling it big time

btallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Agalloch

it's obvious Kaberle (buyout) and Weber (traded) will be gone.

I like Drewiske as a 7-8th dman.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:46 AM
btallett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
it's obvious Kaberle (buyout) and Weber (traded) will be gone.

I like Drewiske as a 7-8th dman.
yep exactly with Kaberle (buyout) Weber (traded) Markov (traded ) and Scuderi(Signed via FA) Drewiskie will be the 7th/8th dman

btallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:53 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont View Post
I think the Kings made a huge mistake with Drewiske. I believe he is better than Ellerby and in some areas better than Muzzin.
I'm pretty sure that's not the right word for this context. Even a mistake might be too much since we're talking about a 7th defenseman.

Drewiske is what he is. There's no upside there. He's valuable in that he's cheap, a team first guy, and won't demand playing time. He buys young guys more development time in the minors. He can step in for a game or two if needed, but probably won't do anything good or bad.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:05 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Not sure I agree with Bergevin's strategy of rushing to lock up depth guys (Desharnais, Bouillon, Drewiske), especially if you contrast that with him playing hardball with a guy like Subban and letting go a decent player in Ryder.
I thought Desharnais was on the 1st/2nd line?! Not exactly a depth player if that's the case. Also, depth players don't usually get a $3.5 cap hit.

06-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

I wouldn't expect Drewiske to play much.

He is behind Subban, Markov, Diaz, Emelin (currently injured), Gorges, Bouillon and Tinordi on the depth chart. Therrien won't scratch any of these guys to give playing time to Drewiske.

Even he doesn't play much, it's a low risk move for the Habs.

Either, he doesn't make the team and replaces St-Denis as a veteran for the AHL squad or he becomes a reliable D who could play more in 2014-2015 (Markov, Diaz, Emelin and Bouillon are set to become UFAs in 2014).

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I thought Desharnais was on the 1st/2nd line?! Not exactly a depth player if that's the case. Also, depth players don't usually get a $3.5 cap hit.
Well it may be a misnomer as he wasn't signed to be a depth player the way that Bouillon and Drewiske were, but he might be trending in that direction. There's concern as to where we're going to play him going forward with Eller and Galchenyuk seemingly much better top-six centre options and developing well.

Maybe "non-essential player" would have been the better term. Desharnais brings some fine attributes, but was there a need to lock him up for 4 years with both those two knocking on the door for his spot? It's starting to look like the answer is no, especially the way Desharnais played last year.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:19 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Cheap depth move to give the young'uns more time to grow in Hamilton...plus he likes the Habs pressbox...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:21 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Well it may be a misnomer as he wasn't signed to be a depth player the way that Bouillon and Drewiske were, but he might be trending in that direction. There's concern as to where we're going to play him going forward with Eller and Galchenyuk seemingly much better top-six centre options and developing well.

Maybe "non-essential player" would have been the better term. Desharnais brings some fine attributes, but was there a need to lock him up for 4 years with both those two knocking on the door for his spot? It's starting to look like the answer is no, especially the way Desharnais played last year.
Desharnais will be dangled in a package...just no idea to who and for what...

Old
06-13-2013, 12:35 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Desharnais will be dangled in a package...just no idea to who and for what...
That's one thing I've always defended about the Desharnais extension, is that his contract shouldn't be too hard to move when it comes time to do so. I'm not saying we'll get a great return but it won't be an unmoveable albatross either.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:45 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
That's one thing I've always defended about the Desharnais extension, is that his contract shouldn't be too hard to move when it comes time to do so. I'm not saying we'll get a great return but it won't be an unmoveable albatross either.
The problem with moving DD is that, for $3.5 mill over 4 years, not alot of teams are going to bite on a talented, yet severely undersized centre, so what we get back might not be even worth it.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:48 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
The problem with moving DD is that, for $3.5 mill over 4 years, not alot of teams are going to bite on a talented, yet severely undersized centre, so what we get back might not be even worth it.
Yeah but we might have to take back lesser value for the sake of bettering the team in the end. If Eller and Galchenyuk really show that they're ready to take over the 1-2 centre slots, are you going to keep one of them on the third line just to continue to give Desharnais top-six minutes? Lord knows he can't play in the bottom-six.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by btallett View Post
yep exactly with Kaberle (buyout) Weber (traded) Markov (traded ) and Scuderi(Signed via FA) Drewiskie will be the 7th/8th dman
Piss off!

Drewiskie is a good guy, seems like a good teammate with a good attitude. Doesn't bring much on the ice but for a 7th D he's serviceable in a limited role.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:00 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Yeah but we might have to take back lesser value for the sake of bettering the team in the end. If Eller and Galchenyuk really show that they're ready to take over the 1-2 centre slots, are you going to keep one of them on the third line just to continue to give Desharnais top-six minutes? Lord knows he can't play in the bottom-six.
Oh, I agree that he needs to go (or learn to play wing...and even then, meh)...I just don't think there's much value there for what the Habs really need (either shutdown size on D or size on RW).

Old
06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Drewiske was an adequate fill-in for us at times, but barely so. I presume he is a good character teammate and all that. For all that the Habs are certain to buy out Kaberle and likely to dump Weber, I would have to say both of those guys have shown more (at times at least) as Habs than Drewiske did. Obviously at Kaberle's cap hit, however, that's immaterial in his case.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Tinordi
Bouillon-Diaz
Drewiske

... until Emelin gets back. I was hoping/am still hoping they are looking to get a more significant UFA defenseman into the mix, which would then push Drewiske to 9th on the depth chart. But it's reasonable insurance to sign him now anyway, just in case the hoped-for UFA doesn't materialize. And with modern attrition rates on an NHL defense corps, by the time Emelin gets back somebody else will likely be out.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:41 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Drewiske was an adequate fill-in for us at times, but barely so. I presume he is a good character teammate and all that. For all that the Habs are certain to buy out Kaberle and likely to dump Weber, I would have to say both of those guys have shown more (at times at least) as Habs than Drewiske did. Obviously at Kaberle's cap hit, however, that's immaterial in his case.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Tinordi
Bouillon-Diaz
Drewiske

... until Emelin gets back. I was hoping/am still hoping they are looking to get a more significant UFA defenseman into the mix, which would then push Drewiske to 9th on the depth chart. But it's reasonable insurance to sign him now anyway, just in case the hoped-for UFA doesn't materialize. And with modern attrition rates on an NHL defense corps, by the time Emelin gets back somebody else will likely be out.
Don't forget about Beaulieu, he's getting ready to step up, as is Pateryn (hopefully...looked good).

Old
06-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
I guess the thinking is that both our press box sitters from last year (Kaberle & Weber) will be gone and Drewiske will be kept around for depth, but I still find it a bit of a surprise. He wasn't any great shakes for us after we got him and Bergevin is already going into next year with the same 7 NHL defensemen he had the year before...a blueline that virtually everybody agreed needed an upgrade.

Aye. It seems a bit perplexing he would risk hostilities with Subban, yet lockout depth guys, many of whom are questioning signs to begin with. Drewiske had maybe two good games for us and did little more than fall into obscurity. I suppose this means Bouillon will be a fixate in the bottom pairing for another year. Oh joy...

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Don't forget about Beaulieu, he's getting ready to step up, as is Pateryn (hopefully...looked good).
I doubt he makes the opening roster. Tinordi is only there to fill the position whilst Emelin is out. Therrien did not bench Bouillon all season, I doubt he starts now.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote