Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving to Winnipeg

Old
05-26-2013, 01:09 AM
ampersand5

vCash: 500
Moving to Winnipeg

I'm moving to Winnipeg in August for law school and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I've heard that osborne village is the place to be...?

Do Jets tickets ever get less than $40?

Is there shinny in Winnipeg?

Is winter manageable?

---
im coming from Toronto

ampersand5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampersand5 View Post
I'm moving to Winnipeg in August for law school and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Is winter manageable?

---
im coming from Toronto
One time Robson Hall grad, but I haven't lived in the Peg since then... fell free to PM me for more specific law school advice.

Be sure to pull for the Jets of course though.

Osborne Village is a ncie area, and I'd recommend it - but not as the be-all and end-all.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:43 AM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:

Is winter manageable?

---
im coming from Toronto
Osbourne is definitely cool...but in not sure if you want to live there or not. I personally, prefer either fort Garry or St. James. Both are nice areas.

You actually might find the winter here easier as it is a dry cold and thus easier to dress for.

Of course there's shinny. Your moving to Winnipeg...not Florida.

As far as I know...Jets tickets are over 40 bucks and are very hard to come by in general.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:05 AM
ampersand5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
One time Robson Hall grad, but I haven't lived in the Peg since then... fell free to PM me for more specific law school advice.

Be sure to pull for the Jets of course though.

Osborne Village is a ncie area, and I'd recommend it - but not as the be-all and end-all.

you have a very interesting airport history over there, may I ask your story? Also how Winnipeg fit into your career in terms of geography? (were you born here, or just went here for law school then got a job out west?)

Old
05-26-2013, 02:07 AM
ampersand5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Osbourne is definitely cool...but in not sure if you want to live there or not. I personally, prefer either fort Garry or St. James. Both are nice areas.

You actually might find the winter here easier as it is a dry cold and thus easier to dress for.

Of course there's shinny. Your moving to Winnipeg...not Florida.

As far as I know...Jets tickets are over 40 bucks and are very hard to come by in general.
are those locations convenient for bussing to the university? apparently thats one of the huge benefits of osborne.

I've looked at the temperatures compared to Toronto and its a massive difference, so I'm not sure what exactly to expect. What you said is reassuring.

I used to live in London, On and shinny was not allowed there, so I really didn't know.

Old
05-26-2013, 02:16 AM
TheDeuce

vCash: 115
Quote:

If you're going to law school I'm guessing you're attending U of M. Your goal from a convenience standpoint is getting something in Fort Garry, Fort Richmond, or possibly Richmond West. All of which have quick access to Osborne for evenings out.

Quote:

Yes. After the game is over people will be willing to sell you their used stubs for under $40. They won't be season ticket stubs because STH's have a single reusable card for entry to all games.

Real answer: no, there aren't any Jets game tickets for under $40. Rock bottom pricing for a 'P7' ticket to a 'C' Level game (ie Florida Panthers on a Thursday evening) is $50 before the inevitable service charges and additional fees. And that price will almost certainly be higher next season.

Quote:

Yep. Lots of it.

Quote:
Is winter manageable?
This past winter was tedious and frustratingly unending but the average winter is easily manageable. The outlier winters that stretch into May or feature six weeks of sub minus forty lows are few indeed.

Quote:
---
im coming from Toronto

Leaving Toronto is always a good thing.

m.

TheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:27 AM
Rook37

vCash: 190
Quote:

Is winter manageable?

---
im coming from Toronto
Exchange isn't bad either, depends on your crowd.

Not likely (if it is, for the love of god someone let me know), depends who you know

Yes.

Well, we think it is . Your results may differ.

Rook37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:32 AM
ampersand5

you guys all seem like a friendly bunch. thanks!

Old
05-26-2013, 03:43 AM
Whileee

Quote:

Is winter manageable?

---
im coming from Toronto
Where you live will depend on your lifestyle. Osborne village is closer to nightlife, young social groups, etc. It's also very easy to get to other areas downtown. In the winter you can get onto the river for a nice skate or ski.

St. James is a bit far out for the UM.

Fort Richmond or Fort Garry are nice if you want more of a suburban existence.

For the Jets games, find a friend who knows someone with season tickets. It's your best bet.

There's plenty of shinny in Winnipeg, but Winnipeggers don't always reveal where the best games are.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 04:11 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

1) It's an interesting eclectic neighbourhood.
2) No. Hah.
3) Is there ever!
4) You know what, most of the time it is.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 08:15 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Explaining winter, the best way to explain it is it gets very cold and we get a lot of snow (although Toronto on average gets more) but rarely at the same time. Going to cabelas ans buying a north face jacket is a good idea, I love mine and never get cold in it. Even the hood is insulated.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 08:22 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Quote:

Is winter manageable?

---
im coming from Toronto
1) Osbourne village is nice in the summer so is Corydon Avenue or the Forks. As for living don't move to either, stick to Fort Garry if you're going to U of M. Plus the new Stadium there will give you access to the Bomber games with little to no travel.

2) Good luck. Even at cost to the STH the tickets are $50+ but that is at cost, face value is approx $15-$30 more depending on who they are playing and where you are looking for seats. IE my seats are $80 per seat per game, face value for a game against the Canadiens is $122.xx per seat. Legally STH's are allowed to sell their seats at face value making a slight bit of profit but not much. Expect to pay $65-$250 for a seat.

3) Yeah there is, just need to find a good pickup league.

4) For the most part, yes. Though this past winter just wouldn't leave. Even now there is a chill in the air during the nice sunny days.

Welcome to Winnipeg, at least you will be able to breathe here

Last edited by ajmidd12: 05-26-2013 at 09:32 AM.
ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 08:41 AM
civic204

Will you have a car?

If you are a single, younger guy, no car, Osborne/Corydon is the way to go. One of the few areas where people are actually out and about, and where you can walk to get what you need. Relatively safe (be smart). 25-30 to the u of m. Lots of hot women (with their own apartments )

Winter is cold. But you're from TO, you should have 2-3 Canada Goose jackets

civic204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:12 AM
surixon

Quote:
are those locations convenient for bussing to the university? apparently thats one of the huge benefits of osborne.

I've looked at the temperatures compared to Toronto and its a massive difference, so I'm not sure what exactly to expect. What you said is reassuring.

I used to live in London, On and shinny was not allowed there, so I really didn't know.
If commuting is important I'd recommend Osborne village or anywhere along Pembina as there are a steadybstream of buses that take you right into the University. Most other areas you need to transfer at least one other time.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 1077
Hey I'm starting law school in the fall at U of M as well (did my undergrad there also), feel free to message me about Winnipeg/the U of M or anything else, see you in school!

Last edited by Shakey Rustie: 05-26-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: undergrad
Shakey Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:48 AM
sully1410

Quote:

St James I don't really know, by car it's not a big deal, but by bus...I dunno. Fort Garry is where the UM is, so I assume it should be easy. Pembina Highway where University and Bison dr. Run off of is really cool. Tons of wicked restaurants down there.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Taking a bus from Polo Park (St. James) to the U of M takes 45 minutes at best, but probably an hour. If you can find a place in Fort Richmond close to the University you can just walk to school and save yourself some money. When my girlfriend and I lived in Waverley Heights it was very easy for her to take a bus to school.

Jets tickets will never be less than 40 unless you luck out in a huge way. Make friends with season ticket holders and if they can't make the game you're there to help them out.

Oh yes we have shinny, don't worry about that. I know that Canlan Ice Sports has shinny all the time for $7. The arena is a hell of a ways away though (unless you live in St. James!).

Winters are fine. The horror stories you hear in TO are mostly BS. Yeah, it can get to -40 but it's actually rare that it happens. Most of the time it is manageable. Just get yourself a winter jacket that can withstand the wind. The wind here is a major factor in making it feel ****ing cold.

05-26-2013, 10:51 AM
SCP Guy

With the rapid transit station in Osborne village u of m is 1 fast bus ride away....Corydon is close by for food and drinks....the forks is close for skating and shopping......lost of singles in the village to keep you entertained......if you have no car it is a good choice

Winter is cold, but only a few thousand people die from cold here every year so you odds of survival are pretty good

As far as tickets go.....make friends with a ST holder in P6 or P7 and get some tickets of him or preferably her to save a few bucks

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:52 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

Live in Victoria now, but lived first 31 years of my life in Winnipeg. Corydon Avenue is a great place to go for great food and drink. Nice place to go for a stroll, especially toward the Assiniboine river. It will look really nice in the fall.

VictoriaJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:54 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
With the rapid transit station in Osborne village u of m is 1 fast bus ride away....Corydon is close by for food and drinks....the forks is close for skating and shopping......lost of singles in the village to keep you entertained......if you have no car it is a good choice

Winter is cold, but only a few thousand people die from cold here every year so you odds of survival are pretty good

As far as tickets go.....make friends with a ST holder in P6 or P7 and get some tickets of him or preferably her to save a few bucks
that is too funny..

VictoriaJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:54 PM
heilongjetsfan

Congrats on your upcoming lifestyle upgrade! You'll find Winnipeg a place that even a student can afford to live it up! The village is definitely the place to be if you want to a) have a good time and b) have easy access to the u of m. Some people are recommending Ft. Garry as an alternative, but really they haven't lived there. That's where I went to school, and my mom and sisters are still there. It's a fine neighbourhood, but I learned from experience that being that far south means a lot of times, the bus is full because of all the people that got on further north. Sometimes it just won't stop because it's -35 and the bus is already 20 people over capacity. I used to get up early on really cold days to take a bus AWAY from campus so I could get on the bus TO campus at an earlier stop!
Ft. Richmond and Richmond West are walkable in the way that Mississauga to Hamilton is walkable. Hey, Terry Fox did it, why can't you?
The Village is full of rental properties, young people and bars that you can wobbly-walk home from. In 2 years it'll be home to the best burger spot on planet earth when I finally have enough cash to open the doors!

heilongjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1199743

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:33 PM
DoubleJ96

I would agree with the people saying to find a place in Fort Richmond. Or really anywhere along or just off Pembina Highway. VERY easy access to U of M, to downtown (Exchange or Osbourne), lots of grocery stores along Pembina so easy bus route for that as well.

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 03:05 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

I'd imagine with Law School and the 100% finals etc... you will be doing a bit of studying... IMO you'd want somewhere quiet to live and go somewhere like these other places to have fun. But all the best regardless!

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 04:12 PM
tgo0

I'm in Richmond West (5 mins from the U of M), would recommend that or Fort Richmond for convenience. A parking pass at the U of M is over $400 (was that a couple years ago, assume it's gone up... ****ers) so if you can walk to school you'll save some coin.

If you want tickets for under $40 each my best recommendation is to go to a social (you'll learn more about those when you get to Winnipeg) and buy $40 worth of Grand Prize tickets and throw them all in the package that has tickets and cross your fingers. Other than that you'll have a rough time getting any that cheap.

Winter is surprisingly manageable. All about layers if you're not used to the cold but as dumb as it might sound (and feel for the first couple weeks of real cold) you get used to it pretty quick.

tgo0 is offline   Reply With Quote