HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)- Offseason FA and trade talk Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 08:25 AM
CerebralGenesis

vCash: 500
Point was that his circumvented deal doesn't help us right now. He is essentially an $11M to $12M player hitting our books.

I'm sure people will spin that anyway they'd like.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Thinking about Briere.

Do you think that is a player that Lou/Pete would bring in?

Very poor defensively, embellishing/cheap shot kind of player.
He will likely try to stay local to be near his kids, the reason he likely refused to be moved. New Jersey or either New York team allows him to be close enough to his kids and vice versa. I would be surprised if he doesn't sign with one of them unless they just flat out aren't interested. We have enough defensively responsible players to play him with, playing with Elias and Zajac we don't need him to be Selke caliber defensively. I also think part of the defense label is no one really emphasized it, same problem Kovalchuk had. If the Devils make him be more responsible, he will. And the last part I think has more to do with playing on the Flyers then anything.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

He can snipe pretty nasty, but he is a little *****.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
17 Days Lou.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Excuse me for being a complete doofus here, but is free agency on July 5th this year instead of July 1st?

Old
06-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
Excuse me for being a complete doofus here, but is free agency on July 5th this year instead of July 1st?
Yes it is. But FA can begin talking with other teams on July 1st

Old
06-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Getting kind off frustrating seeing every FA re-sign already and we are just sitting here

Old
06-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Getting kind off frustrating seeing every FA re-sign already and we are just sitting here
Me too. I wish he would have just given Patty at least an extension the same time as Zajac.

I'm afraid Zubrus goes too, and we have to match an absurd offer for him when he probably would have stayed for cheaper before getting to the market.

I think if someone like Elias re signed then we would have heard about it already.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Me too. I wish he would have just given Patty at least an extension the same time as Zajac.

I'm afraid Zubrus goes too, and we have to match an absurd offer for him when he probably would have stayed for cheaper before getting to the market.

I think if someone like Elias re signed then we would have heard about it already.
Patty is a loyal guy. He knows how Lou works and if Lou told him to keep quite, he would

Old
06-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Patty is a loyal guy. He knows how Lou works and if Lou told him to keep quite, he would
I'm not sure if it would have leaked or not. I don't remember us ever signing anybody during the SCF.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I'm not sure if it would have leaked or not. I don't remember us ever signing anybody during the SCF.
Well Last year we didnt sign anyone till after the SCF soo

Old
06-18-2013, 03:41 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Nobody needs has to keep quiet, since Lou has not signed anyone yet. Lou has all year to sign these guys and wont during the season. It's been two months of Lou just sitting on his hands...

Old
06-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilsjds View Post
Nobody needs has to keep quiet, since Lou has not signed anyone yet. Lou has all year to sign these guys and wont during the season. It's been two months of Lou just sitting on his hands...
do you HONESTLY think Lou has done nothing in the 2 months since we've played?

thats just moronic talk. did you forget how the Devils work?

Old
06-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
We were all crying saying about why we werent talking to Zajac last summer after Zach left...saying Lou does nothing..he is the cause of people leaving etc etc etc.

And what happened ? Travis resigned and noone knew it was coming.

Calm down people and complain when there is actually something to complain about.

Old
06-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Sik02gt

i dont understand why if a deal is made and a player does resign .. why the hell cant the fans find out about it? the team is not playing again until next season exactly why does it need to be hush hush? who and how is it affecting anyone? its not its ****ing annoying

Old
06-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik02gt View Post
i dont understand why if a deal is made and a player does resign .. why the hell cant the fans find out about it? the team is not playing again until next season exactly why does it need to be hush hush? who and how is it affecting anyone? its not its ****ing annoying
Well I'm not in the camp that the deals are done and they are sitting on them...but I think Lou gets the guys he knows he can resign very close to that point and then scopes out what the UFA/RFA landscape will be as UFA approaches in July then pulls the trigger based on what he feels will be available and who he is targeting.

IF he is sitting on completed deals with Elias and Clarkson right now he's not saying because the NHL asks teams not to release big news as the playoffs go on especially during the finals. He's not a jerk, he'll respect that request.

Old
06-18-2013, 05:06 PM
CerebralGenesis

??

Datsyuk just resigned.
Couture just resigned.
Etc

If the league asked, which they obviously did not, no other team is listening

Old
06-18-2013, 05:32 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

The league does not ask teams to withhold information during the Finals, only on game days. And even that is a "well we'd rather you don't but we won't (can't) stop you.

Old
06-18-2013, 05:35 PM
ghdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
??

Datsyuk just resigned.
Couture just resigned.
Etc

If the league asked, which they obviously did not, no other team is listening
In fairness, neither of them have re-signed ("resigned" means quit). They've "agreed to terms". They can't officially re-sign yet. Semantics, but still. Players re-signing can't officially sign contracts yet.

The amount of worryworts in terms of Devils fans are ridiculous. How long have you people followed this team? We rarely do anything early and they don't share **** with the fans until its concrete. Any Devil-related rumors come from the other side!

It's entirely possible that Lou has terms agreed to with the UFA's we plan on keeping right now. The Loktionov news got out because his agent (former Devil Igor Larionov) ran his mouth, so Lou felt compelled to respond to TG when he inquired and he said the same thing that there's an agreement in place, that he will be back, but he's not signed yet. This is the way Lou has always done business. Just because other teams are making announcements about keeping guys, doesn't mean that we haven't made an agreement with one of them or not. It's also possible these guys WANT to get to UFA to find out what they're worth. It's not the worst thing that can happen. I guarantee you the important UFAs (Patty and Clarkson to a lesser extent) will give Lou the chance to meet or beat whatever they get offered.

Don't base what the Devils do or don't do on what the rest of the league are doing. This franchise (Lou) has always done things its own way.

Old
06-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

I understand Lou wanting to keep things quiet. What if he inked Patty already or Zubie, for example, and Clarkson sees what they got nd uses it as leverage in some way? Same thing goes the other way around

Old
06-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
I understand Lou wanting to keep things quiet. What if he inked Patty already or Zubie, for example, and Clarkson sees what they got nd uses it as leverage in some way? Same thing goes the other way around
Very good point. He sees Patty got 5 million and Lou wants Clarkson to get less then that

Old
06-18-2013, 05:45 PM
apice3*

Well I highly doubt Elias and Zubrus would re-sign and keep it from the team. Clarkson would know immediately. That would actually be leverage to get him to stay.

It's just Lou's policy. It's not changing as long as he's here so people need to stop whining about it or find a new team to support. It's tiresome after a while. They should know what they've signed up for by now.

Old
06-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Even though it may not be an NHL policy. It could be a Lou policy to not announce anything till after the season

Old
06-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Sik02gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
if that were the case you dont think that alot of these players are friends? or friends of friends and they dont talk about whats going on?... if patty is signed and he has a conversation with marty you dont think when marty speaks to david that hes going to say hey clarky patty signed a deal for this term at this amount?.. come on

Old
06-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik02gt View Post
if that were the case you dont think that alot of these players are friends? or friends of friends and they dont talk about whats going on?... if patty is signed and he has a conversation with marty you dont think when marty speaks to david that hes going to say hey clarky patty signed a deal for this term at this amount?.. come on
He wont say a word if Lou tells him not to

Closed Thread