HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What did Chicago do to get back to the SCF that the Penguins didn't?

Old
06-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post

That is the best GIF I've seen in a while.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Florentino Ariza

Many of those games were close, but we were beaten by a better team. As in, they play as a unit better than the Penguins do. The Boston Bruins are a better team than the Pittsburgh Penguins right now.

I know a lot of you are going to have panic attacks now, but there, I said it.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
Many of those games were close, but we were beaten by a better team. As in, they play as a unit better than the Penguins do. The Boston Bruins are a better team than the Pittsburgh Penguins right now.

I know a lot of you are going to have panic attacks now, but there, I said it.
Panic on the streets of London
Panic on the streets of Birmingham
I wonder to myself
Could life ever be sane again ?

Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ

I don't get all the DJ hate lately.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

the panic is natural byproduct of the fans' sense of entitlement. they figured Dan would be singing:

So, if there's something you'd like to try
If there's something you'd like to try
ASK ME - I WON'T SAY "NO" - HOW COULD I?

SO ... ASK ME, ASK ME, ASK ME
ASK ME, ASK ME, ASK ME

so they asked for new lines and were sorely disappointed.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 07:30 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Ok, I still disagree with you. I get that goalies are a part of that too, but still. Vokoun wasn't so good to be the difference between 1 goal against and 5. There is just no way to convince me that the offense wasn't the biggest problem in a series where we scored only 2 goals.

agreed. Good luck would have made the series less embarrassing. Bad luck isn't why we lost.
The reason I disagree with the fact that our defence wasn't a problem is the same reason I laughed at Capitals fans post 2010 Olympics to Dale Hunter (including Hunter) era Capitals claiming that they had a solid defence. Games 3 and 4 especially, the Penguins collapsed, and looked to me to forego offence in order to play good defence. Same thing the Capitals did. The Blackhawks have a much more well rounded or coached team where they don't have to go all out offence to score or all out defence to defend. We have the personnel that we should be able to. Though I don't know if we have the personnel to play the system we currently do. (And that's why I cringe when I see the arguments about the system and people using that its not all that different from some other teams...the system itself isn't inherently flawed. We don't have the back end for it though, nor the winger support through the neutral zone)

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
The reason I disagree with the fact that our defence wasn't a problem is the same reason I laughed at Capitals fans post 2010 Olympics to Dale Hunter (including Hunter) era Capitals claiming that they had a solid defence. Games 3 and 4 especially, the Penguins collapsed, and looked to me to forego offence in order to play good defence. Same thing the Capitals did. The Blackhawks have a much more well rounded or coached team where they don't have to go all out offence to score or all out defence to defend. We have the personnel that we should be able to. Though I don't know if we have the personnel to play the system we currently do. (And that's why I cringe when I see the arguments about the system and people using that its not all that different from some other teams...the system itself isn't inherently flawed. We don't have the back end for it though, nor the winger support through the neutral zone)
Right. But the defense part was good in those games. My argument was that the advantage Chicago's defenders (or system or strategy or whatever) have over ours is the ability to support the offense while playing good defense. The defensive part happened. The offense is what suffered. My main point is that we don't need more defensive guys to fix our problems, we need better two way guys. We need to move away from the Mark Eatons of the world and move towards guys like Simon Despres and do everything we can to hold on to guys like Letang and Martin.

So basically, I agree with you even though you are trying to refute my point. Maybe my point has gotten lost somewhere during the argument

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:25 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Right. But the defense part was good in those games. My argument was that the advantage Chicago's defenders (or system or strategy or whatever) have over ours is the ability to support the offense while playing good defense. The defensive part happened. The offense is what suffered. My main point is that we don't need more defensive guys to fix our problems, we need better two way guys. We need to move away from the Mark Eatons of the world and move towards guys like Simon Despres and do everything we can to hold on to guys like Letang and Martin.

So basically, I agree with you even though you are trying to refute my point. Maybe my point has gotten lost somewhere during the argument
Ha, it sounds as if we are in agreement then. Especially if we are sticking to this system, we need defenders that can transition better to support the breakout. We don't really have a single defender that has a solid breakout pass. Letang is great at carrying the puck up the ice, his pass, not so much. Defenceman that can pinch, but know when to and when not to (the when not to is a pretty big component). I agree that more Mark Eatons isn't the answer.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:36 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I see a lot of coaching/adjusting by Chicago. New ways to break out. New ways to create pressure. They are dealing with the ABSURD amount of clutch/grabbing that is going on.

Pens.... we don't get to our game. No adjustments needed. Then PANIC.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:00 PM
End of Line
Human After All

The Buinzzzzzzzz.

Plus all the clutching, grabbing, and constant interference.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:05 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I see a lot of coaching/adjusting by Chicago. New ways to break out. New ways to create pressure. They are dealing with the ABSURD amount of clutch/grabbing that is going on.

haha... Sad but true.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:16 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
This might sound really weird but Keith has the best hips in hockey. He pivots and has such great transitional speed it's ridiculous. He creates so much strength off of the pivot. It's insane.

I'd give up Letang and whatever to get him in a HEART beat.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Leddy has been getting Byslma'd.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:22 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
This might sound really weird but Keith has the best hips in hockey. He pivots and has such great transitional speed it's ridiculous. He creates so much strength off of the pivot. It's insane.

I'd give up Letang and whatever to get him in a HEART beat.
Same. Not that I don't like Letang, but Keith is my favorite (non Penguin) player. Love watching him skate.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Til the End of Time

keith is what letang could be if he had a brain.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Hophog

Quote:

we don't get to our game or the opponent's net, is what they should start saying. The Blackhawks did whatever they needed to do to get in front of the net and battle for pucks regardless of all the crosschecking and mauling they had to take for being there. Call it heart, skill, strength what have you, but at the end of the day I'm convinced the Pens won't win another cup until they change their mentality from a fly by once and done shot team to a team that battles and scores some grind it out goals in front of the net. The Pens have been too much of a parameter team lately and they don't seem overly interested in getting their hands dirty.

I know this isn't anything that hasn't been said around here but the last two goals by the Blackhawks seemed to magnify this difference between the two teams. By the end of this series this Blackhawks team who, I think, seemed somewhat similar to the Pens became the antithesis to the style the Pens were playing.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:15 PM
Hophog

I have to admit that it makes me feel good to see Jagr fail to score and miss his opportunity to raise the cup potentially one last time.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

I Concur. This series proved unequivocally that much of the problem lies with Bylsma and his inability to rapidly adapt as a series goes on. We should start calling him "One Plan Dan".

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:18 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I Concur. This series proved unequivocally that much of the problem lies with Bylsma and his inability to rapidly adapt as a series goes on. We should start calling him "One Plan Dan".
Equal blame goes to our GM. They both deserve each other.

We can talk game planning all we want, but Handzus is the only guy on that team that can't skate fast. The rest of them can motor, especially on defense.

But nah, let's go get intangible leadership guys who can't skate anymore, and we'll be fine.

And watching Duncan Keith again, let's just get what we can for Letang and go on with our lives.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:27 AM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
keith is what letang could be if he had a brain.
Remember Letang going over to Russia a couple days before the lockout ended

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:44 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Keith is obviously great and in some ways better than Letang, but I don't know why people like to **** on Kris. Let's remember, the guy has just literally started to enter his prime in the last year or two, and Keith is 3 years his senior. I keep saying it 100 times: Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris until he was over 30. Letang's best years are ahead of him. Jeez, people seem really spoiled. We are really lucky we have this guy, especially for a 3rd round pick.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:06 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1067
Watching this series, and watching both coaches make adjustments when things weren't working (including personnel adjustments such as line combinations), makes me even angrier that Bylsma was kept around.

I'll laugh so hard if the Pens lose in the first round next year, and Shero's left wondering how that possibly happened.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:14 AM
GaryT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Keith is obviously great and in some ways better than Letang, but I don't know why people like to **** on Kris. Let's remember, the guy has just literally started to enter his prime in the last year or two, and Keith is 3 years his senior. I keep saying it 100 times: Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris until he was over 30. Letang's best years are ahead of him. Jeez, people seem really spoiled. We are really lucky we have this guy, especially for a 3rd round pick.
There's a lot of self deprecation in the Penguins forum for some reason

GaryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:14 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1067
Oh, and Patrick Kane is clutch. The guy is a ******, but he also comes up big when it matters. Stanley Cup OT winning goal in 2010, and now bringing home the Conn Smythe in 2013.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:15 AM
silvsiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Watching this series, and watching both coaches make adjustments when things weren't working (including personnel adjustments such as line combinations), makes me even angrier that Bylsma was kept around.

I'll laugh so hard if the Pens lose in the first round next year, and Shero's left wondering how that possibly happened.
Get ready for the laughter because it is going to happen again. It's sad to say but it is true.

silvsiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:38 AM

I think if you put Keith on the Pens he would look a lot like Letang. The Pens like that loosy goosy sloppy garbage. Its what keeps them a middle of the pack team.

Whats funny is that every time the Pens try to run and gun, the good teams eat them alive. Like the Bruins this year and the Flyers last year.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote