HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's the middle of summer, so here's my hypothetical game change idea.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

vCash: 500
It's the middle of summer, so here's my hypothetical game change idea.

Itís that time of year again- there isnít enough to talk about around the team and game so I come up with something a bit out there and throw it on the boards to see where the conversation goes. Hereís this summerís idea:

If we want to increase the speed and scoring in the game without taking away the physical play or changing the rink dimensions, how about changing offsides so that the red line represents the split between 2 offensive zones? Players would still be required to be behind the blue line before entering the closer part of the zone but could go all the way down ice one the puck crossed center ice.

This idea is purely a hypothetical meant to give some discussion- Iím not saying that I would want it, I do believe itíd be interesting to watch. Imagine some of the following scenarios:

- Teams decide to float a man or break two wings early, 1 hits the red line the other towards the blue line going right to the net as the puck hits his line mate. The ice opens up and defenders now have to cover more space or give up additional rushes.
- Offensive zone time per possession in the 2nd period becomes increased. Teams can now regroup with the extra space, change players and prolong the attack.
- Power plays now have the ability to get men behind the line of defenders when attacking the zone reducing the chances of stand ups at the blue line and 2 minutes of dump and regroup
- Power plays can now use the high zone to regroup, play swing the puck and make space for a man down low in the box.
- Offensive play can come with more speed, simulating what is now a move of the puck up ice, while having options available in the zone
- Puck possession teams now become more dangerous and man on man play/ability to defend becomes more critical.

I think itíd be a significant change and would be interesting to see. I really like where the game is now but for a hot summer day alter hockey reality, what do you think?

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:45 AM
patty59

I really think this would slow the game down on entries. It would lead to longer possessions and probably a little more scoring. But I don't think it would make the game faster or more enjoyable.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Pasta La Vista
My name is Pete

vCash: 50
If a 5 minute major penalty occurs, teams can swap out the 5 minute PP for a penalty shot of any player they want that's available. Only allowed to use once per game however.

Pasta La Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:00 PM
JoeIsAStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinswillwin77 View Post
If a 5 minute major penalty occurs, teams can swap out the 5 minute PP for a penalty shot of any player they want that's available. Only allowed to use once per game however.
Interesting, I am not sure a team would ever choose the penalty shot though. 5 minute major can be game changer you may score multiple times, and you really tax the oppositions defensive units

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

What about no diving to block shots, you can still go to one knee maybe still on the fence about one knee, or stand up, I don't know the game needs changes but the rule I focus on is that.

What if a player blocks a shot in the blue paint with there hand it is a penalty shot, they still save there goalies but, but then the goalie also has to make a save afterwards, kind of stupid but intersting.

Also no more hard plastic shoulder pads that should be a given by now.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
Interesting, I am not sure a team would ever choose the penalty shot though. 5 minute major can be game changer you may score multiple times, and you really tax the oppositions defensive units
Yeah but if your up against the top PK unit and there back-up goaltender or AHL guy is in the net you got to think about it, 2 min left in regulation down by one, Overtime might be a good time.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Lobster57
nosdoom

I don't think the game needs any real changes on-ice. One thing that i can't believe they haven't done is changing to all game being worth 3 points. 3 for a regulation win, 2 for OT/SO win, 1 for OT/SO loss and none for regulation loss. It's ridiculous that some games award 2 points while others 3.

I would also like a slight shorter regular season, somewhere around 72-75 games and start the season a week or two earlier. Playing to mid June is goofy and as we saw in the finals making any ice let alone good ice is almost impossible.

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Lobster57
nosdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster57 View Post
I don't think the game needs any real changes on-ice. One thing that i can't believe they haven't done is changing to all game being worth 3 points. 3 for a regulation win, 2 for OT/SO win, 1 for OT/SO loss and none for regulation loss. It's ridiculous that some games award 2 points while others 3.
delete

Last edited by Lobster57: 07-24-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: quoted myself
Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I really think this would slow the game down on entries. It would lead to longer possessions and probably a little more scoring. But I don't think it would make the game faster or more enjoyable.
It could potentially reduce the back and forth play- you'd end up with a game that is more possession focused than it is currently. What would be interesting to see is if it still lead to the same type of back and forth at times- what I'd say has been the more prevalent game out west over the past few years, while making offensive zone play more spread out. I'd think that it'd still allow guys to cheat, and break out faster- it'd also remove the halting at the blue line while the puck is in transit giving the game a flow.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:02 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredUser View Post
It could potentially reduce the back and forth play- you'd end up with a game that is more possession focused than it is currently. What would be interesting to see is if it still lead to the same type of back and forth at times- what I'd say has been the more prevalent game out west over the past few years, while making offensive zone play more spread out. I'd think that it'd still allow guys to cheat, and break out faster- it'd also remove the halting at the blue line while the puck is in transit giving the game a flow.
I'd prefer if they made the neutral zone bigger(same as pre-lockout). I think that would lead to more odd man rushes and more hitting.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Bmf316nhl
But there's no dog

Send a message via AIM to Bmf316nhl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster57 View Post

I would also like a slight shorter regular season, somewhere around 72-75 games and start the season a week or two earlier. Playing to mid June is goofy and as we saw in the finals making any ice let alone good ice is almost impossible.
I like this idea, however I'd make the OT wins with 3 points and do the 2-1 split for shootouts

Or maybe just award one point for a shootout win and none for a shootout loss

Bmf316nhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:35 PM
wetcamelfood

2 points reg W
1 point OT W
0 points L (any kind)
Tied after 5 minute OT, each team -1 point

Make them go for it instead of leaving it to the skills competition

Last edited by wetcamelfood: 07-24-2013 at 06:13 PM.
wetcamelfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:11 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

undeflected puck over the glass means no change for defensive team. the existing rule is awful.

hybrid no touch icing. if there's no race for the puck, say, an attacker within the blue line, it's automatic icing, no line change.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote