2013 red sox/mlb thread part XXV

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 12:06 PM
acr*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I was super excited to get Sox/Yankees tickets in 2003 when I just got my license, and got to see John Burkett throw is 65mph heat.
There was a stretch of a few years where every time I'd go to a Sox game, I'd get Wakefield. I liked Wakefield, but every friggin' time when we had Pedro, Lowe, Schilling, etc...

I never got to see Pedro until he wound up in Philly, and even then it was 3 innings before a rain delay knocked him out of the game.

Old
06-17-2013, 12:47 PM
BergyDGD
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
I was super excited to get Sox/Yankees tickets in 2003 when I just got my license, and got to see John Burkett throw is 65mph heat.
I went to my first Sox-Yankees game that year. Burkett vs Mussina game in July 2003, turned out to be an awesome game. Sox won on a Papi walk off wall ball double. Jeremy Giambi stole second to get into scoring position for the winning run

Old
06-17-2013, 02:10 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
http://nesn.com/2013/06/report-red-s...ted-in-closer/

That would be a Peter Chiarelli move. Move prospects for a guy you could have just signed when he was here.
I wouldn't be entirely opposed to the idea...he only has 2 more years left at 13 M/year (+ a vesting option for 2016)...and I would have to think Cherington isn't as dumb as the Dodgers and would only offer decent prospects (if Philly takes a chunk of his salary) OR salary relief (if they aren't willing to eat any money), not both.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:17 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
I never got to see Pedro until he wound up in Philly, and even then it was 3 innings before a rain delay knocked him out of the game.
I only seen Pedro once...in mid-August of 2000 against Texas...he pitched 7 innings, no walks, no runs, 3 hits, 10 K's....lowering his ERA at the time to 1.53.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00008190.shtml

Old
06-17-2013, 02:28 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
My first time ever at Fenway I got to see Pedro pitch. I'll never forget it.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
I went to my first Sox-Yankees game that year. Burkett vs Mussina game in July 2003, turned out to be an awesome game. Sox won on a Papi walk off wall ball double. Jeremy Giambi stole second to get into scoring position for the winning run
That was the game.. it was awesome. Papi right off the wall.

I miss those days!

Old
06-17-2013, 02:47 PM
BergyDGD
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
That was the game.. it was awesome. Papi right off the wall.

I miss those days!
Haha that's awesome you were at that same game. My parents brought me to the game for my 16th bday, was so pumped til I saw the pitching matchup. My Dad was at the end of his rope with the Sox and said if they lost that day after dishing 100+ a ticket he would become a Yankee fan. Sox went up 4-0, Burkett gutted out 5 and 2/3 scoreless. Yankees tied it up with a pair of runs in the 7th and 8th. Who would have thought we were watching the beginning of a legend, that was Papi's first walk off hit with the Sox. Miss those days as well.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:09 PM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Best Sox game you've ever been to? Go!

I have a few, but two in particular stand out for me. The first was the 2003 WC clinching game. Sox were down 5-2 in the bottom of the 9th, with two men on, and Todd Walker coming to the plate. For some reason everytime my step father, who is a Phillies fan, watched the Sox, if Todd Walker came up to bat, he hit a HR. So here comes Todd Walker, I frantically call my step father, and tell him to put on the game IMMEDIATELY. He does...Todd Walker hits a tying 3 run HR . Sox win it in the bottom of the 10th on an Ortiz HR.

The other game that stands out for me was game 1 of the 2007 ALDS. Beckett was absolutely incredible that game. 9IP 4H 0ER 8K, Youk and Ortiz hit HR's, got real drunk, and celebrated.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Morris Wanchuk

2003 ALDS Game 3 - Nixon Walkoff/Tedd Lilly chanting/ Home base missing

2004 ALCS Game 4 - The Stolen Base/See you later tonight

2004 WS Game 1

I was a ****ing magician at getting tickets in the old days, before the random drawings. We used to take over the computer lab at school, and got it so we could open 30 virtual waiting rooms (cntr+n) before the computer crashed.

Man, did I used to be a huge Sox fan. That feeling of the unattainable will never be matched. 2002-2004 were some special times. My baseball fever is slowing coming back after a few years off.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:18 PM
BergyDGD
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post

I have a few, but two in particular stand out for me. The first was the 2003 WC clinching game. Sox were down 5-2 in the bottom of the 9th, with two men on, and Todd Walker coming to the plate. For some reason everytime my step father, who is a Phillies fan, watched the Sox, if Todd Walker came up to bat, he hit a HR. So here comes Todd Walker, I frantically call my step father, and tell him to put on the game IMMEDIATELY. He does...Todd Walker hits a tying 3 run HR . Sox win it in the bottom of the 10th on an Ortiz HR.

The other game that stands out for me was game 1 of the 2007 ALDS. Beckett was absolutely incredible that game. 9IP 4H 0ER 8K, Youk and Ortiz hit HR's, got real drunk, and celebrated.
Up until this year it was Manny's walk off vs the Angels in the 2007 ALDS, that was an absolute rocket off his bat. But best has to be this year April 20 vs the Royals, first game at Fenway post Marathon bombing and Watertown manhunt, just an emotional amazing atmosphere. Nava's 3 run bomb gave the Sox the lead and they held on 4-3 for the win on a highly emotional day.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:20 PM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Quote:
2003 ALDS Game 3 - Nixon Walkoff/Tedd Lilly chanting/ Home base missing

2004 ALCS Game 4 - The Stolen Base/See you later tonight

2004 WS Game 1

I was a ****ing magician at getting tickets in the old days, before the random drawings. We used to take over the computer lab at school, and got it so we could open 30 virtual waiting rooms (cntr+n) before the computer crashed.

Man, did I used to be a huge Sox fan. That feeling of the unattainable will never be matched. 2002-2004 were some special times. My baseball fever is slowing coming back after a few years off.
I used to do the same thing with regards to the VWR haha. And yeah 2002-2008 were pretty awesome. My baseball interested has definitely taken a step back since then, but it's still there.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:21 PM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Oh let me add Curt Schilling's first Fenway start in 2004. Easter Sunday. Had a great seat 5 rows behind home plate. Place was crazy excited to see big Schill. They won.

Then went to the Bruins/Habs playoff game later that night (Bruins won 3-1!)

Old
06-17-2013, 03:32 PM
bruinsden
PRO/BOS Bruins!!!

Sept' 04 vs. Baltimore. I was 12, almost 13 (crazy it was that long ago) And Orlando Cabrera hit a walk off double off the lip of the scoreboard on the monster in the 12th inning I think.

I've been to a Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, and Revolution playoff games, but never a Sox playoff game. Hope to change that this year.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Morris Wanchuk

You know what is the most anticlimactic end to a baseball game?

Walk off hit by pitch

Old
06-18-2013, 06:16 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

craig breslow: true closer?!?!?!??!

Old
06-18-2013, 06:27 PM
dabid

This is probably the best game I went to:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00008140.shtml

My dad and I started a "RICO RICO RICO" chant that the whole stadium started chanting, then he hit a walkoff grand slam.

Probably the best experience total I've had at a game though was the 2007 AL East clincher. We sat up in the EMC club seats, I cant remember anything that happened during the game except for Dice-K starting and the Red Sox winning. But then we stayed and watched the Sox-Yankees game on the center field scoreboard and then walked up to the front row and saw the celebration.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:46 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

these poor ****ing guys on sun sports have been breaking down the rays/red sox game from this afternoon for 33 minutes now. i think sun sports locked them in a closet too.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:48 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

oh man doubront is pitching tonight.

and now i'm watching chris archer break down his start.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Cafardo. GO AWAY.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:51 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

zach wheeler's pitching. think i'll watch that and listen to joe complain about doubront on the radio.

verlander too!

Old
06-18-2013, 06:55 PM
acr*

Best games?

Game 4 of the '03 ALDS - Papi hit an 8th inning double off Foulke to win it and get us back to Oakland

I was there the night Dice-K almost threw a no-hitter in Philly
A 2-1 win over Colorado in June of 2007 - Wakefield threw a gem in a pitcher's duel
A similar 2-1 win in 2009 where Lester beat Koji Uehara (a starting pitcher at the time)

I don't remember many details, but I was also at the game against Detroit in 2001 when Varitek smashed his elbow into a million pieces. I think it was the night after Shea Hillenbrand hit a walkoff grand slam or something and being very uneventful. My friends just heckled Bobby Higginson all night in left field.

Old
06-18-2013, 07:25 PM
CDJ

Like Gammons up there tonight. Legend

Old
06-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Best game....2003 ALDS Game 3.

Drove to Boston from Worcester in my college roommate's ****box of a car with a flaming rejected inspection sticker on it to wait in line all day for day of game tix. Ended up getting $25 standing room tix on the Monster. Trot Nixon hit a walk off in the 11th, and the HR was hit right next to where we were standing.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post

here's one for you, with a twist.

Late 90's, a vendor holds a contest at our company and about 25 of us wins tix to a sox game, right field grandstand (naturally). Everyone drinks too much, has a great time, and goes out partying afterwards. Who cares about the game.

Fast forward to the next morning, everyone shuffling around with hangovers etc. Somebody who was reading the paper who wasn't there pipes up "Hey! Johnny Valentin hit for the cycle last night. What did you guys think of that?" Complete silence until somebody says no way, whaddya know about that. About a half minute later same guy reading the paper yells out "HEY, THERE WAS A TRIPLE PLAY LAST NIGHT! Did anybody see THAT??". Total silence.

A guy hits for the cycle AND a triple play in the same game and nobody remembers a thing.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:21 PM
CDJ

OK, I've just joined the **** Andrew Bailey club. Can't defend him anymore.

Closed Thread