vCash: 500
Release him!

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:23 AM
David Krejci
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

Anybody who honestly thinks this guy should play right now, should jump off a bridge.

David Krejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:26 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Krejci View Post
Anybody who honestly thinks this guy should play right now, should jump off a bridge.
I don't think it would be that hard for him to sit on the bench in all of OT the way Thornton does. I'm pretty sure if you asked him if he knows how to sit on a bench, he could pull it off

Sugar played 9:55 in game 1. Do I think the Yeti can handle 9:55 in 6 periods? Ya I feel he could handle it.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:31 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:
interesting analysis of the pros and cons of playing soderberg over daugavins. and if horton is out playing him over jordan caron or pandolfo. you've convinced me. i wish i had your vast knowledge of hockey.

FallsForItEveryYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:45 AM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Quote:
I guess I should find one here soon, because I think he should.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:50 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

It's pretty obvious that a 27 year old who dominated the SEL, and who has now been practicing with the team since the end of the regular season, has no idea how to play 10 minutes of hockey. Krug on the other hand, well he's fine in the NHL.

lol come on. Soderberg has played hockey his whole life, has now watched a ton of film, and his conditioning must be right up there (along with the fact that's he's super fresh). I wouldn't sweat him playing against 3rd d pairings right now.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:53 AM
theswede2013

Yetti is a big fast skilled body. I would rather have him in and if their is a lapse defensively which I think it would be minimal since he has had time to watch and learn aspects of the system. I think his upside out ways his down side. We need more speed and size out there.

theswede2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:55 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
lol come on. Soderberg has played hockey his whole life, has now watched a ton of film, and his conditioning must be right up there (along with the fact that's he's super fresh). I wouldn't sweat him playing against 3rd d pairings right now.
i don't think they are concerned about him attacking 3rd pairings. the issue is more likely how he defends at the NHL level, in a smaller rink than he's used to, in the biggest game of his life, and against the best team in the league who can expose/have exposed better players than the yeti. and then you have thornton who is already being short-shifted, which reverts back to a 3-line, 10 forward attack (granted, same issue with doggy who isn't seeing that much ice).

the real answer is, IMO, that chiarelli failed to bring in legitimate depth forwards in case of injury (my opinion is more clearly stated in the caron thread).

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:13 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
i don't think they are concerned about him attacking 3rd pairings. the issue is more likely how he defends at the NHL level, in a smaller rink than he's used to, in the biggest game of his life, and against the best team in the league who can expose/have exposed better players than the yeti. and then you have thornton who is already being short-shifted, which reverts back to a 3-line, 10 forward attack (granted, same issue with doggy who isn't seeing that much ice).

the real answer is, IMO, that chiarelli failed to bring in legitimate depth forwards in case of injury (my opinion is more clearly stated in the caron thread).
Krug wasn't thrust into the biggest games of his life? At only 5'8 against much bigger players?

New guys all have challenges. But they have upside too.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:21 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Krug wasn't thrust into the biggest games of his life? At only 5'8 against much bigger players?

New guys all have challenges. But they have upside too.
krug has been playing in the same system all season, same rink sizes (he was also arguably the best defenseman in the AHL in the 2nd half)...and his first playoff game was in the 2nd round. not the final. i'd say there's a pretty significant difference between the two instances, no?

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:29 PM
David Krejci
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
krug has been playing in the same system all season, same rink sizes (he was also arguably the best defenseman in the AHL in the 2nd half)...and his first playoff game was in the 2nd round. not the final. i'd say there's a pretty significant difference between the two instances, no?
This. Soderberg has played what, 6 NHL games? And in those games he didn't look very comfortable at all. People think because he dominated the SEL he's going to come into the NHL Stanley Cup frigging Finals against the ****ing Chicago Blackhawks and be a difference maker. He'd be such a liability in these games it isn't even funny, they would eat him alive. I'm not saying he won't be a good NHL player someday, he might be. But right now is not the time.

He's the absolute last guy the Bruins will resort to putting in, a month worth of practices over here isn't enough.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:37 PM
RunFromTheBear

Quote:
This. Soderberg has played what, 6 NHL games? And in those games he didn't look very comfortable at all. People think because he dominated the SEL he's going to come into the NHL Stanley Cup frigging Finals against the ****ing Chicago Blackhawks and be a difference maker. He'd be such a liability in these games it isn't even funny, they would eat him alive. I'm not saying he won't be a good NHL player someday, he might be. But right now is not the time.

He's the absolute last guy the Bruins will resort to putting in, a month worth of practices over here isn't enough.
I don't think anyone is looking for him to be a difference maker.

With Horton and Campbell out you have the following players fighting for 3 spots:
Thornton
Daugavins
Soderberg
Caron
Pandolfo

You can make a case to have any of them in or any of them out. It's really scraping the bottom of the barrel no matter who you choose. It's the 11th and 12th forwards we are talking about here, no one is stepping in the door to replace Horton.

RunFromTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:38 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
If Horton is out, there is going to be a lot of people up on the bridge looking for a good spot!! How on earth has Soderberg looked worse than Pandolfo or Caron?? And the others had the benefit of being with the team from day one. If anything, I think Soderberg should be more acclimated now that he's been playing/practicing with the team for another month plus. I don't think there is an argument that he isn't the most talented amongst the extras?

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:47 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Hmm, interesting analysis, since watching Daugavins play hockey for the Boston Bruins makes me want to jump off a bridge.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:52 PM
David Krejci
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinSG17 View Post
I don't think anyone is looking for him to be a difference maker.

With Horton and Campbell out you have the following players fighting for 3 spots:
Thornton
Daugavins
Soderberg
Caron
Pandolfo

You can make a case to have any of them in or any of them out. It's really scraping the bottom of the barrel no matter who you choose. It's the 11th and 12th forwards we are talking about here, no one is stepping in the door to replace Horton.
There are a lot of morons on here who have been saying that he'll provide "the offensive spark" that the team needs, which is hilarious because he didn't show any of that in the games he played. But even if you're not looking for a difference maker, you want someone who isn't going to hurt you. He's a lot more likely to be overwhelmed and screw up than Caron or Pandolfo. I hate Daugavins more than anyone but even he should be in before Soderberg, Thornton should be in even if everyone's healthy, he doesn't belong on that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Hmm, interesting analysis, since watching Daugavins play hockey for the Boston Bruins makes me want to jump off a bridge.
You and me both, my good man. You and me both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
If Horton is out, there is going to be a lot of people up on the bridge looking for a good spot!! How on earth has Soderberg looked worse than Pandolfo or Caron?? And the others had the benefit of being with the team from day one. If anything, I think Soderberg should be more acclimated now that he's been playing/practicing with the team for another month plus. I don't think there is an argument that he isn't the most talented amongst the extras?
Like I said up there, he's way more likely to hurt you than any of those guys, and Caron and Pandolfo actually have some semblance of a clue as to what playoff hockey in North America entails.

You are out of your mind if you think that practicing here for a month means he should be ready, I mean literally that's just ludicrous. We talkin' 'bout practice. Practice. He didn't show very much hockey sense in his games, he's a big body but doesn't use it very well protecting the puck or physically, he got manhandled against way lesser teams than Chicago. Like I said, I'm not saying he won't be a good NHL player eventually, but right now is 1000% not the time, and the coaching staff knows that. It's good he's here and getting the experience of the ride, but he's an absolute last resort.

If Horton is out, you have no choice but to put Seguin up there with DK and Looch, he's shown in the past he has good chemistry on that line, so hopefully that can get him going offensively. Despite what people calling into Felger and Mazz will say, he has played well in the playoffs in every facet of the game other than offense (I know that's a big one for him, but it hasn't been a big deal since everyone else has been scoring so much), and I'm not a big Seguin guy, but he has played well other than scoring. Playing with Krejci and Lucic, he will score, I guarantee it. He had some good opportunities with them when Horton went out and would've set up the GWG on a great look if Daugavins wasn't beyond pathetically horrible offensively. Slot in Caron on the 4th and bump Paille up to the 3rd with Kelly and Peverley, and rotate Kelly/Peverley centering some combination of Caron/Daugavins/Thornton sporadically.

Anyway that's it for me in this thread, I'm not going to sit here and argue with people as to why Soderberg shouldn't be playing. Honestly if you have to ask why, you don't deserve to know, lol. But that's what the ignore button is for and I have utilized it quite often throughout these playoffs, and threads like these only make it easier to pick and choose who you use it on. l8r

Last edited by David Krejci: 06-14-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
I agree with Mike here.

After I saw Daugavins once again miss on a golden opportunity to do this incredibly rare thing for the third line (actually score a goal!) I am certain that giving his spot to Soderberg for a game would be a wise gamble.

Daugavins, Kelly and Peverley have brought nothing to the table this post-season. Nothing.

Kelly can't make a pass to save his life and is simply turning the puck over or shooting it into the Bruins bench. Peverley hasn't shown any jump since 2011.

Please give me a reason to not cringe every minute the 3rd line is on the ice. It is painful to watch. At least Kelly on the 4th line is getting better because Paille and Thornton are covering for his blunders but Daugavins couldn't put a puck into an empty net when it mattered most.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:58 PM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, how do you know?

I mean, I (and number of others) thought Krug would get eaten alive by NHL Playoff hockey... And instead he instantly became one of our best defensemen.

How do you know that the Yeti isn't looking at this as a "Biggest stage in Hockey, you say?? Well - Watch me now!!!" situation. How do you know he wouldn't get a hat trick in his first game? How do you know he wouldn't be the Bruins best forward?

Now I'm not saying he would do all these things, or even ANY of them. Because I frankly don't know how he'd do... But you, on the other hand, state so emphatically, and so distinctly, that "He'd be such a liability in these games it isn't even funny"...

So I need to question... How do you know?

TCDaniels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:01 PM
EverettMike

For the record, I wanted no part of Daugavins going into Game 1 (or Game 4), eventhough I thought that was what Julien would do.

I just hate his game. I don't understand what he brings to the table.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:02 PM
David Krejci
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
I agree with Mike here.

After I saw Daugavins once again miss on a golden opportunity to do this incredibly rare thing for the third line (actually score a goal!) I am certain that giving his spot to Soderberg for a game would be a wise gamble.

Daugavins, Kelly and Peverley have brought nothing to the table this post-season. Nothing.

Kelly can't make a pass to save his life and is simply turning the puck over or shooting it into the Bruins bench. Peverley hasn't shown any jump since 2011.

Please give me a reason to not cringe every minute the 3rd line is on the ice. It is painful to watch. At least Kelly on the 4th line is getting better because Paille and Thornton are covering for his blunders but Daugavins couldn't put a puck into an empty net when it mattered most.
Alright I know I said I was done but this is the last one I promise. Yes Kelly and Peverley have been complete black holes offensively. But you don't watch the games if you think they bring nothing to the table, they're two of our most valuable penalty killers and our pk has been a gigantic reason why we are here in the first place. Especially with Campbell already out, it would be idiotic to take either of them out.

I've made my opinion known about Daugavins, I hate him and he sucks and couldn't bury a grain of sand on a beach, but he won't hurt you defensively as much as Soderberg probably would. End of story.

Quote:
For the record, I wanted no part of Daugavins going into Game 1 (or Game 4), eventhough I thought that was what Julien would do.

I just hate his game. I don't understand what he brings to the table.
I'm with you all the way. I didn't like them bringing him in in the first place because he brings absolutely nothing to the table and was pissed when he got the spot over Peverley in Game 1 vs Toronto. There isn't anything I like about him, and him being on twitter when the rest of the team has deleted theirs, and 2 seconds after he's told he got Campbell's spot after the injury he's on twitter gushing about it like a 12 year old girl. Can't stand him, and the OT fail the other night was inexcusable.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:04 PM
ODAAT

Real concern about Horty...if a harmless and hardly significant play like that forced him out of a game...even if he plays, just how will/can he play effectively?

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:07 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Real concern about Horty...if a harmless and hardly significant play like that forced him out of a game...even if he plays, just how will/can he play effectively?
I am as concerned as you and the rest. The thing I come back to, though, is this: he's played well since the Iginla fight, which apparently was the source of the injury. That all changes, of course, if he gets another bump like this and he is injured again. That to me says the injury has deteriorated to the point that he can no longer compete, and I'm guessing he will be done. But he's done very well so far. Try to keep positive thoughts that he will be able to play through this.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:29 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
As someone that dislocated both shoulders playing hockey multiple times, it seemed obvious that's what happened. If I'm right (and it's just an educated guess based on experience), then he can play and be effective. The real risk wouldn't be ineffective play, but rather him popping it back out and the Bruins being down a forward again. But he can wear a sling that keeps it stabilized, and because it's his top hand he'd be far less at risk for another dislocation based on what I experienced. But he's destined for surgery after the season if I'm anywhere near correct on this.

As for the Yeti, find me a bridge to jump off of because I'd be ready for him to make an appearance. I'm not filled with hope that it's the right decision, but I don't think it's a horrible risk for Julien to roll the dice on a guy that can at least score. If not him, then I'm not opposed to giving Caron another shot. He looked at times this past season like he was destined for an NHL career on the 3rd line, but just couldn't maintain it.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:32 PM
WithOutPaperss

I honestly can't believe anyone would prefer Pandolfo over Soderberg. Blows my mind.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:43 PM
dtam83

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithOutPaperss View Post
I honestly can't believe anyone would prefer Pandolfo over Soderberg. Blows my mind.
known mediocrity vs chance of greatness

dtam83 is offline   Reply With Quote