Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The YETI - Soderberg - II

Old
06-14-2013, 02:09 PM
remer

vCash: 500
Wow! Big mistake if Soderberg is not put in. A talented player that has the ability to put the puck in the net. Daug showed why he is a fourth line fill in.

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:18 PM
chrisab123

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Krejci View Post
There are a lot of morons on here who have been saying that he'll provide "the offensive spark" that the team needs, which is hilarious because he didn't show any of that in the games he played. But even if you're not looking for a difference maker, you want someone who isn't going to hurt you. He's a lot more likely to be overwhelmed and screw up than Caron or Pandolfo. I hate Daugavins more than anyone but even he should be in before Soderberg, Thornton should be in even if everyone's healthy, he doesn't belong on that list.

You and me both, my good man. You and me both.

Like I said up there, he's way more likely to hurt you than any of those guys, and Caron and Pandolfo actually have some semblance of a clue as to what playoff hockey in North America entails.

You are out of your mind if you think that practicing here for a month means he should be ready, I mean literally that's just ludicrous. We talkin' 'bout practice. Practice. He didn't show very much hockey sense in his games, he's a big body but doesn't use it very well protecting the puck or physically, he got manhandled against way lesser teams than Chicago. Like I said, I'm not saying he won't be a good NHL player eventually, but right now is 1000% not the time, and the coaching staff knows that. It's good he's here and getting the experience of the ride, but he's an absolute last resort.

If Horton is out, you have no choice but to put Seguin up there with DK and Looch, he's shown in the past he has good chemistry on that line, so hopefully that can get him going offensively. Despite what people calling into Felger and Mazz will say, he has played well in the playoffs in every facet of the game other than offense (I know that's a big one for him, but it hasn't been a big deal since everyone else has been scoring so much), and I'm not a big Seguin guy, but he has played well other than scoring. Playing with Krejci and Lucic, he will score, I guarantee it. He had some good opportunities with them when Horton went out and would've set up the GWG on a great look if Daugavins wasn't beyond pathetically horrible offensively. Slot in Caron on the 4th and bump Paille up to the 3rd with Kelly and Peverley, and rotate Kelly/Peverley centering some combination of Caron/Daugavins/Thornton sporadically.

Anyway that's it for me in this thread, I'm not going to sit here and argue with people as to why Soderberg shouldn't be playing. Honestly if you have to ask why, you don't deserve to know, lol. But that's what the ignore button is for and I have utilized it quite often throughout these playoffs, and threads like these only make it easier to pick and choose who you use it on. l8r
You lost me when you mentioned Pandawful should be playing over Yeti. The guy shouldn't be playing hockey in a rec league, let alone the NHL

chrisab123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:22 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Honestly if Tyler Seguin can be trusted to be decent in his own end, I'm not that worried about the Yeti.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:28 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

John Druce says Hello.

No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there.
Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
It's pretty obvious that a 27 year old who dominated the SEL, and who has now been practicing with the team since the end of the regular season, has no idea how to play 10 minutes of hockey. Krug on the other hand, well he's fine in the NHL.

lol come on. Soderberg has played hockey his whole life, has now watched a ton of film, and his conditioning must be right up there (along with the fact that's he's super fresh). I wouldn't sweat him playing against 3rd d pairings right now.
Well said. If you can't play 10'mins of solid hockey, wow and I don't want you on my team. Even Shawn Thornton can play 10 mins of solid hockey.

Afam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

the reality is soderberg was a solid second round draft choice... he was traded to us because he had a legitimate belief in himself that he was a pro talent even at that time...

he went and paid his dues in Sweden pro leagues developing an elite level two way game there.

he is at the age where he is at the peak of his physical abilities... strong... fast... as he will ever get

there is always issues reguarding... confidence... it can rise and fall... theres issues with learning a team's system... theres issues with being the right piece to fit the team puzzle...

I personally wish that soderberg had been handled different... putting him in now isn't ideal... but the team is in the finals so im in very poor position to cast any stones at chiarelli or julien and how they do things.

I will ultimately trust them to make the best decision reguarding soderberg. if he plays, I will hope for the best.

so many people here continue to make very absolute claims on players whether they can play or not... on coaches... whether they can coach or not... and for the most part no matter how often these people are proven wrong they just continue to throw out very absolute claims again anyhow.

its ok to debate what we hope for... to debate what we expect... but some of these absolute claims that certain posters make here are just ridiculous. I wish there was a sticky thread here we could hold certain posters accountable to all of their screams of righteous indignation they attempt to ram down our throats

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:56 PM
BadBruins

The freshness factor alone should give any healthy player that comes in a slight edge IMO. Daugavins seems to have that extra step, but lacks the skill to do anything with it. I'd probably put Caron in that same group. Even if he does come in and play well, the best you can probably hope for is that he doesn't hurt you.

With Soderberg, at least there's the chance he can help. This team needs a bottom-6 forward who can contribute. Not a bottom-6 plug. If this were 2011 with the Merlot line and the Kelly line playing as well as they were, I'd probably lean towards Caron.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Ratty

What happens if Horty winds up for a slapper or gets crunched in the corner and pops his shoulder? Clode is scrambling around trying to make eleven go into twelve.

I though we wanted Soderberg now so he could be eligible for the playoffs. Play him, fcol, and give Horts a chance to heal or to find out if he's going on the injury list.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
What happens if Horty winds up for a slapper or gets crunched in the corner and pops his shoulder? Clode is scrambling around trying to make eleven go into twelve.

I though we wanted Soderberg now so he could be eligible for the playoffs. Play him, fcol, and give Horts a chance to heal or to find out if he's going on the injury list.
He's been playing with that injury all postseason, so it's been a risk for three series now.

I don't have experience with that kind of injury, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't something that heals on its own over time. He'll need surgery.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Cronuss

vCash: 2823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
He's been playing with that injury all postseason, so it's been a risk for three series now.

I don't have experience with that kind of injury, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't something that heals on its own over time. He'll need surgery.
Yeah, but now everybody knows about it. The Blackhawks will target him.

I saw let him sit out one, let it heal a bit more, let the news blow over a bit, and possibly even win game 2 without him, making it that much sweeter.

Cronuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:27 PM
BaBaBruins
Tuukka Time.

Quote:

In recent years they have been figuring out that shoulder injuries are sometimes better off with a long slow rehab process instead of going all chop suey in there to tie them back together.

The shoulder joint is one of the slowest healing areas of the body no matter what you do to it so I guess it is better to approach with caution because if you ginsu it up it might never be the same.

BaBaBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:32 PM
theswede2013

CJ said on bruins tweeter that he has seen enough of Soderberg and Caron that they are ready to step in if need be. I hope its Soderberg.

https://twitter.com/nhlbruins

theswede2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:35 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theswede2013 View Post
CJ said on bruins tweeter that he has seen enough of Soderberg and Caron that they are ready to step in if need be. I hope its Soderberg.

Clearly Claude need to jump off a bridge

Yeti skated with line 3 today folks! Get ready for your bridge jumps!

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:36 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronuss View Post
Yeah, but now everybody knows about it. The Blackhawks will target him.

I saw let him sit out one, let it heal a bit more, let the news blow over a bit, and possibly even win game 2 without him, making it that much sweeter.
You can't target a guy with a torn labrum (which it seems obvious he has) with any effectiveness, nor does sitting a game really put you on the mend for that type of injury. He's just as likely to dislocate it rolling over in his sleep (which happened to me) or swinging a golf club (which happened to me) as he is getting targeted physically by an opponent. He would be one tough SOB to play the rest of this series out, but I bet he guts it out knowing that it could pop out again on any freak play. But so long as it's stabilized (which the Day to Day comments would indicate), he can still be an effective player. Again, the risk is that he reinjures it and Claude is down a forward again for a length of time.

I say Caron or Soderberg should get a shot. Fresh legs, both top 60 picks, and both guys have the ability to contribute offensively in the right situations. Let Kelly/Peverley/Bergeron/Paille do the bulk of the PK if needed. I don't have a hate on for Pandolfo, but because he's not an elite PKer anymore, doesn't win draws, etc., you're left with a guy that is going to spend the majority of his shifts chipping the puck into the neutral zone and dumping/changing. If we're being totally honest, Shawn Thornton can do that for 10 minutes/night.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevHortonHeat View Post
In recent years they have been figuring out that shoulder injuries are sometimes better off with a long slow rehab process instead of going all chop suey in there to tie them back together.

The shoulder joint is one of the slowest healing areas of the body no matter what you do to it so I guess it is better to approach with caution because if you ginsu it up it might never be the same.
Interesting... thanks. What kind of rehab timetable would be considered "long and slow" if he doesn't have surgery?

As far as resting Horton here; there's a huge difference between being 1-1 and being down 2-0.

I think you've got to play every game as if it's the last and do everything to win. Sure there's a chance you can pick up a win without Horton, but if you've got a better chance to win with him in the lineup despite the injury, that has to be the way to go.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
the reality is soderberg was a solid second round draft choice... he was traded to us because he had a legitimate belief in himself that he was a pro talent even at that time...

he went and paid his dues in Sweden pro leagues developing an elite level two way game there.

he is at the age where he is at the peak of his physical abilities... strong... fast... as he will ever get

there is always issues reguarding... confidence... it can rise and fall... theres issues with learning a team's system... theres issues with being the right piece to fit the team puzzle...

I personally wish that soderberg had been handled different... putting him in now isn't ideal... but the team is in the finals so im in very poor position to cast any stones at chiarelli or julien and how they do things.

I will ultimately trust them to make the best decision reguarding soderberg. if he plays, I will hope for the best.

so many people here continue to make very absolute claims on players whether they can play or not... on coaches... whether they can coach or not... and for the most part no matter how often these people are proven wrong they just continue to throw out very absolute claims again anyhow.

its ok to debate what we hope for... to debate what we expect... but some of these absolute claims that certain posters make here are just ridiculous. I wish there was a sticky thread here we could hold certain posters accountable to all of their screams of righteous indignation they attempt to ram down our throats
I couldn't have said it better myself. Opinions are subjective and not objective.

Last edited by Afam*: 06-14-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Afam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:26 PM
BaBaBruins
Tuukka Time.

Quote:
Interesting... thanks. What kind of rehab timetable would be considered "long and slow" if he doesn't have surgery?

As far as resting Horton here; there's a huge difference between being 1-1 and being down 2-0.

I think you've got to play every game as if it's the last and do everything to win. Sure there's a chance you can pick up a win without Horton, but if you've got a better chance to win with him in the lineup despite the injury, that has to be the way to go.
To be honest I don't think at this level there is a long enough timetable to "wait & see" for Horton, I'm pretty sure if it is a nagging shoulder injury he has been getting injections to stave off the discomfort & will just have some of the best sports ortho surgeons in the game fix him up come summer.

BaBaBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Mione134

Free the Yeti

Free the Yeti

Mione134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Salem13

I need a taxi going to the top of the Tobin, I hope it's high tide!

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:38 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by theswede2013 View Post

Awesome, hope that's not just a PC answer though. I really think it is worth it to play Yeti just for his offensive upside. He just needs to not turn the puck over and do what he's supposed to do.

I know he's soft as a pillow and he's not in the ideal situation to be thrown into a SCF but I would rather put him in than Caron or Pandolfo.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Ratty

If all we had to replace Horton were Pandolfo and Caron, I'd be all for toughening it out, balls-to-the-wall, go for broke with Nate and hope for the best. But that's not the case.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:17 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post

I think it is too risky to put in Soderberg now.His time is next year.Dogman has for the most part done what the Bruins have asked him to do.The majority of the guys in the bottom 6 would likely have screwed up that scoring opportunity.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:54 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
I think it is too risky to put in Soderberg now.His time is next year.Dogman has for the most part done what the Bruins have asked him to do.The majority of the guys in the bottom 6 would likely have screwed up that scoring opportunity.
It's far riskier to play not to lose. Our new bottom six must present at least some semblance of scoring threat. The 4th line can do it with energy and moxie (assuming Shawn Thorton awakes from his self-imposed slumber), but the third line needs an X-factor guy who brings the potential to score, not just go through the motions, play it safe, and show cement hands when given a chance to win the game.

Soderberg is that guy.

TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:25 PM
westernhome

Soderberg should be in tomorrow, even if Horton plays

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:05 PM
JOKER 192

I'll never understand Claude if I live a million years , How can you insert someone you claimed off of waivers over the leading scorer in the SEL is something I can't understand. Imagine Ottawa, a team that was calling up players for the AHL, had no use for him, but hell , he gets the nod. It's not that I don't like Claude he's a good coach but his choices often leave me scratching my head.

JOKER 192 is offline   Reply With Quote