The YETI - Soderberg - II

Old
06-15-2013, 12:12 AM
Mione134

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
Soderberg should be in tomorrow, even if Horton plays
I think its time someone tells Richard to take a seat.

Mione134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:56 AM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER 192 View Post
I'll never understand Claude if I live a million years , How can you insert someone you claimed off of waivers over the leading scorer in the SEL is something I can't understand. Imagine Ottawa, a team that was calling up players for the AHL, had no use for him, but hell , he gets the nod. It's not that I don't like Claude he's a good coach but his choices often leave me scratching my head.
Soderberg didn't impress in the handful of games that he did play in.It is beyond me how people think he can step into the Stanley Cup Finals and be a force.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
Soderberg didn't impress in the handful of games that he did play in.It is beyond me how people think he can step into the Stanley Cup Finals and be a force.
He played the last 5 games of the year and had 2pts --not impressive but keep in mind that in the same last 5 games:

Kelly had 1 pt (outstanding for him)
Pevs had 2pts
Krejci had 2pts

So why doesn't Soderberg deserve a chance based on a small 5 game sample? We need a 3rd line that can score some goals and he may be lightning in a bottle.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 01:18 AM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
No one expects him to be a force. They just expect him to be better than the several useless players currently getting playing time.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 03:37 AM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
I think its time someone tells Richard to take a seat.

Isn't that poor peverley. Sorry I couldn't resist. Lol.

Afam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:50 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Krejci View Post
There are a lot of morons on here who have been saying that he'll provide "the offensive spark" that the team needs, which is hilarious because he didn't show any of that in the games he played. But even if you're not looking for a difference maker, you want someone who isn't going to hurt you. He's a lot more likely to be overwhelmed and screw up than Caron or Pandolfo. I hate Daugavins more than anyone but even he should be in before Soderberg, Thornton should be in even if everyone's healthy, he doesn't belong on that list.

You and me both, my good man. You and me both.

Like I said up there, he's way more likely to hurt you than any of those guys, and Caron and Pandolfo actually have some semblance of a clue as to what playoff hockey in North America entails.

You are out of your mind if you think that practicing here for a month means he should be ready, I mean literally that's just ludicrous. We talkin' 'bout practice. Practice. He didn't show very much hockey sense in his games, he's a big body but doesn't use it very well protecting the puck or physically, he got manhandled against way lesser teams than Chicago. Like I said, I'm not saying he won't be a good NHL player eventually, but right now is 1000% not the time, and the coaching staff knows that. It's good he's here and getting the experience of the ride, but he's an absolute last resort.

If Horton is out, you have no choice but to put Seguin up there with DK and Looch, he's shown in the past he has good chemistry on that line, so hopefully that can get him going offensively. Despite what people calling into Felger and Mazz will say, he has played well in the playoffs in every facet of the game other than offense (I know that's a big one for him, but it hasn't been a big deal since everyone else has been scoring so much), and I'm not a big Seguin guy, but he has played well other than scoring. Playing with Krejci and Lucic, he will score, I guarantee it. He had some good opportunities with them when Horton went out and would've set up the GWG on a great look if Daugavins wasn't beyond pathetically horrible offensively. Slot in Caron on the 4th and bump Paille up to the 3rd with Kelly and Peverley, and rotate Kelly/Peverley centering some combination of Caron/Daugavins/Thornton sporadically.

Anyway that's it for me in this thread, I'm not going to sit here and argue with people as to why Soderberg shouldn't be playing. Honestly if you have to ask why, you don't deserve to know, lol. But that's what the ignore button is for and I have utilized it quite often throughout these playoffs, and threads like these only make it easier to pick and choose who you use it on. l8r
Poster calls others "morons", "insane", etc., then says he is not going to argue about topic, then threatens to use ignore...irony abounds.

I find it interesting that someone who has probably never seen Soderberg practice or play live, and only on TV a few times (when the B's were playing their worst hockey) would talk about him in such absolutes and pretend to know more about his game than the people with opposing opinions, who had seen him just as much.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:43 AM
JOKER 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselBuiltMyHotrod View Post
No one expects him to be a force. They just expect him to be better than the several useless players currently getting playing time.
Exactly ,your hired to represent.

JOKER 192 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:39 AM
daigle

Yeti for Conn Smythe!

daigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:55 AM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Poster calls others "morons", "insane", etc., then says he is not going to argue about topic, then threatens to use ignore...irony abounds.

I find it interesting that someone who has probably never seen Soderberg practice or play live, and only on TV a few times (when the B's were playing their worst hockey) would talk about him in such absolutes and pretend to know more about his game than the people with opposing opinions, who had seen him just as much.
That's the HF Boards for you. I'm just use too it now and only talk too posters who actually want to talk hockey and not haul insults at fellow posters .btw you're a solid poster. I would ignore the put me in the ignore comment. Those that use it are those who are losing an argument and have nothing too say. I'm just being honest.

Last edited by Afam*: 06-15-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old
06-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Rumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigle View Post
Yeti for Conn Smythe!
Maybe start making shirts to sell outside the Gahden for game 3?

Rumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:49 AM
HumBucker
HFBoards Sponsor

I understand why some people are worried about putting Soderberg in. But people seem to be thinking that he's a wet-behind-the-ears rookie. He's played quite a few seasons in the SE league, which from what I understand, is generally held as being between the AHL and NHL in terms of competitiveness.

I don't think his overall ability to play is the issue. The question is what skill set and abilities he brings to the table. I agree with those who say it would nice to have a little more scoring potential on the bottom 6. Maybe it would be different if one or two of Kelly/Pevs/Seguin were contributing goals, but they aren't. It's gonna be a close series, we need all the scoring depth we can get. And from what I understand, Soda is not a defensive liability.

Let's face it - if the options are Daug, Caron, Pandolfo, Soda, none of these guys is gonna give you top-tier NHL results. One could easily argue that Daug/Caron/Pandolfo represent borderline NHL talent at this point in their careers - in that sense, no different than Soda.

But I wonder, if Daug/Caron/Pandolfo had played in the SE league, would they have registered 31g 29a and a +18 through 54 games last season? I doubt it.

I trust the coaches to make the right decision - they see these guys in practice. But to my mind, even if Horton plays, I think we need more scoring from the 3rd line. Not only could Soda provide the skill, size and net drive needed for that, he might also be the spark that gets Seguin going.

HumBucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Vermonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigle View Post
Yeti for Conn Smythe!
Could you imagine that? He get's inserted tonight, comes in and scores 2 goals including the winner. Then, he scores 4 more in the next 4, to help the Bruins win in 6. This board would go ballistic, and the Yeti love would be off the charts!!!!!

Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:12 AM
JOKER 192

Did it occur to anyone who is slamming Soderberg's 6 game stint that the entire team sucked during that six game span. Come on 6 games is a really small sample size taken when a team was at it's lowest point playing 6 games in 9 nights and having to deal with the bombing to boot. Could you imagine the guy gets to town and Kaboom,now I don't know anyone else but it sure would have me wondering WTF I just got myself into.

JOKER 192 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:26 AM
remer

Not sure why Claude would not bring in Soderberg. We need some offensive help.
Daug is not the answer on the third line.

Maybe sit Thoeton since Julien doesn't seem to trust him.

Lucic Krejci Horton
Marchand Bergy Sequin
Peverley Soderberg Jagr
Paille Kelly Daugavin

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonster View Post
Could you imagine that? He get's inserted tonight, comes in and scores 2 goals including the winner. Then, he scores 4 more in the next 4, to help the Bruins win in 6. This board would go ballistic, and the Yeti love would be off the charts!!!!!
If that happens, I'm calling out those who ever doubted him. I know how this board works . Soderberg scores two goals, the same posters who didn't want him in the line up, will be saying how they wanted soderberg in the lineup all long over daugavins, Caron and how soderberg is going to be a top 6 forward who is going to score 40 goals.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post

Lucic Krejci Horton
Marchand Bergy Sequin
Peverley Soderberg Jagr
Paille Kelly Daugavin
I would add Caron and replace dogman and that's a lineup I could go to battle with.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:08 PM
misterjaggers

I like Soderberg and think he'll be a good player for us next season, but my expectations for what he can contribute now are modest.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:22 PM
cat400

Soderberg joined the Bruins at a time when practices were at a premium.
In the limited time that he played, he did look a bit over matched.

However he has had 1 1/2 months of practicing with the team, re-acclimatizing himself to N.A. and most importantly viewing the play-offs from above the ice where I would hope that he has grasped what is expected if you play in a play-off game.

Right now the bottom two lines, minus Soupy, are basically no threat to put up any goals.

If Nathan can't perform in an adequate fashion ( no time to gut it out if he can't play effectively), Seguin needs to go to the 1st line and Carl should be given another opportunity to show why the Bruins went to so much effort to get him here before the play-offs began.

cat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:27 PM
EverettMike

My boy, Jesse Connelly calls for Soderberg to go in.

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/blackG...erg-_not_Caron

Give it a link.

My only quibble is how in the **** he doesn't say release the Yeti at the end.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 01:44 PM
RunFromTheBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post

Lucic Krejci Horton
Marchand Bergy Sequin
Peverley Soderberg Jagr
Paille Kelly Daugavin
Seguin needs a speedy, gritty guy to get the puck to him. Peverley and Kelly aren't the right guys to have with Seguin. Paille also offers more defense to those who are worried about Soderberg.

Lucic - Krejci - Horton/Seguin (let Horton take a few shifts off)
Marchand - Bergeron - Jagr
Paille - Seguin - Soderberg
Peverley - Kelly - Daugavins or Caron

Can't have Thornton in the lineup if we think there is a chance Horton doesn't play 60minutes. We need guys who can potentially be a third line if need be.

RunFromTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 02:37 PM
rcduthie77

Especially with Horton's in question this would be the perfect time to insert Soderberg (and maybe even try Caron in place of Daugavins).

Clearly Claude is shying away from using Thornton in big situations but the issue becomes if Game 2 is another close one and Horton's shoulder gives him trouble then we get stuck down to 10 forwards again. That simply can't happen.

Soderberg in his short stint didn't light the world on fire but one thing he did do is battle and get to the net. Seguin needs a guy who can do that on his line and create some havoc for the opposing goaltender and defence. Put Soderberg infront and you have a 6'3'' 220lbs screen, now imagine if say Rosival has to come across and pick him up. That's two big bodies that Crawford has to look through to find the puck, gives Seguin much more opportunity and chances are more open ice.

Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Marchand - Bergeron - Jagr
Soderberg - Peverley - Seguin
Paille - Campbell - Daugavins/Caron

That's a lineup with size, speed, skill, and gives more options should something happen with Horton.

rcduthie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 02:59 PM
gillesgilbert

I think we should keep the same lineup for game 2.If we lose game 2,then it is time to make some changes. I have faith that Dogman can give us what we most importantly need from the 3rd line,defensive responsibility.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 03:08 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

If they lose tonight, and I had to do fantasy lineup moves the way a non-Claude coach might. Mine (to finally get a dangerous line 3):

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Marchand-Bergeron-Jagr
Soderberg-Peverely-Horton
Paille-Kelly

Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, McQuaid, Krug, Ference, Bartowski

I give Seguin and Horton alternating extra shifts on line 4, maybe 3 each. Line 4 would no longer really be a true line 4 since Paille could play in any situations comfortably, and Claude trusts Kelly. I dress 7 D, and play Krug on the PP's and Bartowski on faceoffs in our own end and as a more comfortable pairing with McQuaid.

Jagr-Krejci-Bergeron-Lucic-Krug PP1

Seguin-Marchand-Soderberg-Horton-Chara PP2 (Soderberg planted in front of Crawford)

Anyway no idea if it's remotely realistic, but it looks nice

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
If they lose tonight, and I had to do fantasy lineup moves the way a non-Claude coach might. Mine (to finally get a dangerous line 3):

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Marchand-Bergeron-Jagr
Soderberg-Peverely-Horton
Paille-Kelly

Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, McQuaid, Krug, Ference, Bartowski

I give Seguin and Horton alternating extra shifts on line 4, maybe 3 each. Line 4 would no longer really be a true line 4 since Paille could play in any situations comfortably, and Claude trusts Kelly. I dress 7 D, and play Krug on the PP's and Bartowski on faceoffs in our own end and as a more comfortable pairing with McQuaid.

Jagr-Krejci-Bergeron-Lucic-Krug PP1

Seguin-Marchand-Soderberg-Horton-Chara PP2 (Soderberg planted in front of Crawford)

Anyway no idea if it's remotely realistic, but it looks nice
looking good

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Mpata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam View Post
If that happens, I'm calling out those who ever doubted him. I know how this board works . Soderberg scores two goals, the same posters who didn't want him in the line up, will be saying how they wanted soderberg in the lineup all long over daugavins, Caron and how soderberg is going to be a top 6 forward who is going to score 40 goals.
Don't worry, because it's not going to happen.

Mpata is offline   Reply With Quote